Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
more on BBC Radio 4 investigation   (Read 94,030 times)
paraic

more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Nov 4th, 2004 at 4:14pm

Hi,
I'm also trying to find out exactly how much big company call centres  make on 0870 no. per minute/day? Anyone have any inside information. Thanks
paraic.obrien@bbc.co.uk

IP Logged

bgezine

Re: more on BBC Radio 4 investigation  
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 11:52am

UK calls resell at 0.6p per minute - and that includes a profit margin.

I am not saying that the 0870 resellers get their calls at this rate, just that they could be getting them even cheaper.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 6:30pm

From the research which I have done I have found that the large companies maximising this rip-off are making over 4 p per minute from 0870 and even more from 0871 and 07 PNS. (Although 07 PNS was supposed to be prohibited from revenue sharing by Oftel, it seems that they only prohibited revenue sharing with the end user, so various abuses allow that rip-off to continue, and the yields from that are much greater.) Those companies using the full suite of call duration lengthening gambits are making millions of pounds every year from these scams.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 6:35pm

Quote:
From the research which I have done I have found that the large companies maximising this rip-off are making over 4 p per minute from 0870 and even more from 0871 and 07 PNS. ...

dorf, which providers pay 4p or more for 0870?

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 2:17am

Well I have done a quick check Dave, and it seems that some providers who were previously advertising 4 p per minute and over on their web sites for high call volumes have now removed them, probably due to posts on forums like this about them! Some 6 months ago I listed the urls of a load of these providers on one forum for example.

One that was offering 4 p per minute is http://acommworld.com/ , but they only show the lower rate of 3 p now for lower call volumes; they no longer show a rate for the highest call volumes.

I will look at others to see whether I can find an actual offer still stated and post it here; I assure you though that this is the rate some providers are paying for high call volumes. The campaigning is just making them more careful about clearly advertising these rates probably.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004 at 12:02am by dorf »  

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 11:48am

Radio 4 You and Yours 12 noon today (Monday 8 November is to carry an 087X section.

Progress? Perhaps the start of the next stage.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 3:51pm

I listened in, and found the news article interesting.  It was a report lasting around 10 minutes.  They tried to interview a range of big companies, asking them how much they make from their 0870 numbers, and surprize surprize, nobody made a comment.

However the BBC said they don't make revenue, as their call centres are supplied by a 3rd party who use the revenue for their own business.

They interviewed a travel agent, who is against 0870 numbers, and told the listeners he uses a normal geographic number, as he doesn't believe in his customers having to pay for customer service.  They should be commended for this stand.  Let's hope other companies follow suit!!

They also interviewed one of our members, who has their own 0870 number, and gives it to insurance companies etc.

I also have my own 0871 number, and have been doing the same, but no mention at all about 0871 numbers anywhere in the article, although they're not so widespread as 0870.

They also put across the point that companies using 0870 numbers charge more than a normal number, and get a cut of the call.

And of course, they mentioned this site, which has had over 1 million hits over the last few months, from people wanting to find geographic numbers, and contribute in these forums.

Just need to put it on a consumer programme on TV now, for a wider audience!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 8:31pm

I have to say I was quite impressed when I listened to the 8 minute 27 second extractcourtesy of a link provided by a member of an associated forum:

Quote:
The 0870 contact number for the rail crash is disgraceful!  Angry

The 0870 rip off got a mention on BBC Radio 4's You and Yours programme today.  Listen to it here.

That link is now going to form part of every e-mail of complaint* I make!

*TVP and the Home Office have already received same!
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2004 at 8:53pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 12:40am

I have both an 0870 number, and an 0871 number, which I have had for a few years now (0870 longer than 0871).

I give these to banks, gas and electricity companies and the like, just to get my own back.

When the bank rings me, I keep them on the line asking them, all about their services, and then say I'll have to think about it.

My 0871 diverts directly to my home number, my 0870 to a voicemail box, which I have left a very long announcement on.

I was thinking about setting up a queuing / option system, giving people loads of options, then telling them 'Your call is important to us, please hold, your call will be answered as soon as posible', then after a while the call will go to a voicemail box.

I currently get on my 0871 number: 3.5p per peak minute - 4p per off-peak minute - 5p per weekend minute!

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 10:31am

Quote:
My 0871 diverts directly to my home number, my 0870 to a voicemail box, which I have left a very long announcement on.

Which provider do you use? I was wondering how you managed to get the number to point to your home phone - all of the sites I've seen say domestic customers can't have these numbers.

IP Logged

nicholas43

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 11:10am

Towards the end of the excellent programme, Matt Peacock (thingy being, apparently, a garbling introduced by the software instead of four letters denoting a male hen!)  from Ofcom
(a) agreed that 0870 and 0845 are disguised premium numbers
(b) stated that Ofcom "is proposing" that companies etc. are REQUIRED to advertise both 0870/0845 and their real number, with equal prominence.
Four cheers - except that, as far as I can see, the published consultation does not propose that.
What am I missing?
nicholas43
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2004 at 7:14pm by nicholas43 »  

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2004 at 1:28pm

http://www.theuknumbershop.co.uk

Just fill in your own name in the company box.

And http://www.4freetele.com/0870.htm for the 0870 that diverts to voicemail / announce.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

UK
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 1:54am

Nicholas43, you are right. There is no mention of this in either of the 2 consultation documents.

I think it must be a typical Ofcom red herring! They certainly do not admit in either of these 2 consultation documents that 0870, 0871, 07 PNS or 0845 are being used as Premium numbers. They still attempt to skate around the issue as usual. Also you will note that they have the gall to edit out of the public documents all the statistics which show just how great BT's market share of this rip-off really is!

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 12:40pm

[quote author=Tanllan  link=1099584852/0#5 date=1099914509] Progress? Perhaps the start of the next stage.[/quote]

Another You and Yours mention today (Friday 12 November), including a company that had not realised about the higher charge to callers and had already started to amend its letterheads.

Another example of "sloppy" selling? I wonder where the operator income was going.

But perhaps that is too charitable.

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #14 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 8:39pm

That is very true.  The 0870 numbers thrive because people ring them without realising that they're paying more, and believe they pay the same as calling someone else in the country.

These people will think 0870 means an important company, and might think as it costs alot to get this number, they're not cowboys, when infact it costs almost nothing to get these numbers.

These misguided opinions can be formed by some of the public, some of whom are in a position within a company to get their own 0870 number!!

Not all telecoms companies share revenue, some don't give any, and sell their product to unsuspecting businesses, trying to offer a free memorable number, and call management solutions, and all the company has to do, is tell their customers to call an easy to remember number, which they believe costs the same as the old one!!

The key to this is more media exposure.  Myself, and other members of this site agree it's a con, just need to convince the other 99% of the population we're being ripped off!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge