Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Cheapest Call Providers (Read 30,666 times)
Peter-P

Re: Cheapest Call Providers
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2004 at 12:08am

Rick,
A really comprehensive list! I have used a company called Equitalk now for quite some time and they are excellent people to deal with and unlike many others, their service number is freephone!  The following link will take you to how they favourably compare themselves with TalkTalk ...

http://www.equitalk.co.uk/default.asp?secure=no&URL=prices/comp_talktalk.asp

Thanks for the table.  Hope this proves useful.

Peter

IP Logged

voipnut

Reply #16 - Nov 14th, 2004 at 12:13pm

With due respect for the work done by Rick - here is a more comprehensive list of UK teleco rates with a cost comparison for each.  The site has some good resources and gives addreses for the operators and in some cases non premium direct phone numbers

http://www.magsys.co.uk/telecom/residx.htm

IP Logged

rickuk80

What happened to Customer
Service?

Birmingham
Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 1:10am

OK OK.... all these messages of better lists.

my list is only an indication of who offers the cheapest calls and asking others to let me know if there is a cheaper provider.

Its not supposed to show a full list of providers. So if anyone else has anyone cheaper then let me know. If you have a better list then I dont want to know just tell me if there is anyone cheaper!!!!!

thanks

Rick

rickuk80  
IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #18 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 8:56pm

I know this site is about the possibly bad use of 08xxx etc but I am a little confused in that I have looked in MSE's 'cheapest call providers' to discover several companies who offer good rates and seemingly to a wider range of international destinations without the need to register or commit payment by credit card etc---- simply by using an apropriate access no.

TELESAVERS  and CHEAPEST CALLS are just two.
Charges appear on BT bills.

Am I missing something? Undecided

IP Logged

Jimbo_Bimbo

Knock, Knock

London
Reply #19 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 12:27pm

If you pay 2.7p per minute for a local or national call with a provider that does not have a minimum charge you are paying less than a so-called free call that charges 1p minimum for a call that lasts less than 20 seconds.
I have analysed my bills and have found that a very significant number of calls are for very short durations ("Hi, is Fred there? - OK I'll call him back later") and although some of course are much longer than these we actually save money with the zero connection providers.

Jimbo Bimbo

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 3:38pm

Quote:
If you pay 2.7p per minute for a local or national call with a provider that does not have a minimum charge you are paying less than a so-called free call that charges 1p minimum for a call that lasts less than 20 seconds.
I have analysed my bills and have found that a very significant number of calls are for very short durations ("Hi, is Fred there? - OK I'll call him back later") and although some of course are much longer than these we actually save money with the zero connection providers.

I'm not sure you actually realise what you said there JB.

Using my regular Friday call to the local Chinese (Happy Chinese New Year BTW) as an example.  It always takes less than a minute to place my order.  I dial their number with my usual 18866 prefix.  
The call costs me a total of 1p
(1p connection and 0p per minute).  It would cost you 2.7p in your example.

Now the wife phones her mother after we've eaten the Chinese.  She dials using our usual 18866 prefix and chats for 2 hours 36 minutes.  
The call costs a total of 1p
(1p connection and 0p per minute).  In your example, it would cost £4.21.  Even on BT, it'd cost 15.5p (3 x 5.5p) and would require remembering to re-dial twice so as not to exceed BT's 60 minute limit for a 5.5p evening call on BT Together Option 1.

OK, the second example is a little extreme but, as you see, your examples are more costly on both occasions.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2005 at 3:46pm by bill »  

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 7:08pm

Jimbo does have a very valid point, and if you do spend alot of time calling people, and keep getting 1571, then hang up without leaving messages, or very short calls like that, then the amount of calls you make does add up.

However, you only need to spend 20 seconds, to make 18866 better value, and even though you might make a few very short calls, the few that last 10 minutes, or even a few hours, should outweigh those very short calls.

Another good idea, if you know someone has an answering machine/1571 etc that kicks in after so many rings, just hang up before the call is answered!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 9:10pm

Quote:
Jimbo does have a very valid point, and if you do spend alot of time calling people, and keep getting 1571, then hang up without leaving messages, or very short calls like that, then the amount of calls you make does add up.

However, you only need to spend 20 seconds, to make 18866 better value, and even though you might make a few very short calls, the few that last 10 minutes, or even a few hours, should outweigh those very short calls.

Assuming the 2.7p/minute quoted is charged on a per second basis rather than being rounded up to the next minute .....

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2005 at 3:28am

Quote:
Another good idea, if you know someone has an answering machine/1571 etc that kicks in after so many rings, just hang up before the call is answered!!

Ring it from Orange - calls under 3s free

IP Logged

scottterrier

Here to help!

Reply #24 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 2:46pm

We joined the Utility Warehouse, part of telecom Plus, because it looks like they offer us the best overall deal - there are of course possible cheaper deals on some calls, for which prefixes can be dialled if that is significant. We just liked the whole package  so have now become an Independent Distributor which gives us a further discount on our own calls! check it out at www.storeplus.co.uk/?exref=766114
select "utilities"
Let us know what you think!

We solve legal stragegy problems, help raise capital for business and find ways to save money.&&(see UK site www.storeplus.co.uk/?exref=766114 or tel 0800-458-8451)

IP Logged

bill
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 3:37pm

Quote:
We joined the Utility Warehouse, part of telecom Plus, because it looks like they offer us the best overall deal - there are of course possible cheaper deals on some calls, for which prefixes can be dialled if that is significant. We just liked the whole package  so have now become an Independent Distributor which gives us a further discount on our own calls! check it out at www.storeplus.co.uk/
select "utilities"
Let us know what you think!

Sorry to spoil your sales pitch but, to UK 01/02 numbers, I pay 1p per call, not 2.5p per minute during the day and 1p per call, not 4.7p for first hour and 0.7p/minute thereafter evenings and weekends.

Similarly, I pay 10p/minute to call ANY UK mobile during the week, not 13.5p, 11.4p, 12.5p, 11.8p, 14.8p,
8.4p
, 21.6p, 15p, 15.5p or
6.3p
and I pay 2p/minute to call ANY UK mobile at the weekend, not 6p, 3.6p, 7p, 3.9p or 3.7p.

Similarly again, I pay 1p/minute to call Spain at any time, not 12p/minute or 5p/minute.

And (last one for now, I promise), I pay a fixed charge of 3p (NOT per minute) for a call of any length at any time to Canada, USA or Germany - not 9p or 5p per minute,  8p or 5p per minute, 10p or 5p per minute.

Have I correctly highlighted the two good bits about Utility Warehouse/Telecom Plus prices above?

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 3:46pm

Even leaving aside 18866 and 1899, there are plenty of ways of calling abroad for under 5p, free from included minutes on a mobile for a start

edit - in fact, looking at it again, all the calls Bill mentions are free from included minutes on a mobile.

So 500 min a month for £2.99, less £20 cashback on an old phone, or maybe 230 min a month for -(minus)£30 a year must be the cheapest of all

only 0870 and 0845 calls not included; if it wasn't for 50 min a month on an O2 contract, they could be 90% of  annual total
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2005 at 4:36pm by andy9 »  

IP Logged

lily

Reply #27 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 1:20pm

I have subscribed to 3U, butI have great difficulty in getting a connection on 0870 numbers (using 12911) .  When I do get through the line quality is very poor.  I have tried usig the 1664 prefix, but just get an error message.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:26pm

Quote:
I have subscribed to 3U, butI have great difficulty in getting a connection on 0870 numbers (using 12911) .  When I do get through the line quality is very poor.  I have tried usig the 1664 prefix, but just get an error message.

So what exactly have 3U discovered about managing to route calls cheaply to 0870 that no one else (not even call18866) has managed to discover?  The deal has been running too long now for them not to have withdrawn it if it was actually costing them lots of money?

After all poor old BT couldn't  manage to make a profit when people paid 2p per minute for 0870 from their payphones.  Not even at the weekend apparently.  Although one would hope that at the current drastically increased 11p or 13p a minute rate to 0845 and 0870 numbers, at all times, from a BT Payphone that BT might perhaps now be making at least a penny or too from each of these calls, especially at the weekend! Shocked

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge