Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone with Toucan Telecom? (Read 20,248 times)
Arthur_Punter

Anyone with Toucan Telecom?
Nov 5th, 2004 at 9:41pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of signing up with Toucan Telecom, mainly for the free weekend calls and cheapish 0845.

According to the signup form, if I can provide a telephone number of a friend who's already with Toucan it's worth £10 call credit for both me and that friend for the referral.

Is there a Toucan user out there who'd like to be my friend and earn a tenner? Smiley

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Re: Anyone with Toucan Telecom?
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 10:26pm

If it's free weekend calls you're after, you may want to have a look at OneTel's StandardUKTalk package for comparison purposes.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

Arthur_Punter

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 11:06pm

Thanks, I've looked at them as well, but at first glance they seem surplus to requirements.

18899 backed up with 1899 look good for most things. Toucan and OneTel both have the free weekend thing, and a decent rate for some 0870, but Toucan is a little better on 0845.

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 2:01am

might be a better idea to look at rather than 18899 !! Undecided

Toucan rates seem good to start with but compare the other charges; you pay for directory enquiries (OneTel=Free); overseas rates are reasonable, but not cheaper than 1899; calls to Mobiles are much cheaper on 1899 (anytime); standard usage using 18866 is MUCH CHEAPER. I suggest that you sit down with pencil & paper first and work it out before you swap.

It's all dependant on your usage but if it goes over a certain amount, then I suggest using OneTel's TotalUKtalk plan for unlimited calls and BT for the 0870 and 0845.

IP Logged

Arthur_Punter

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 2:55pm

Thanks DaveM, I did indeed mean 18866. 18899? Never heard of them until I invented them accidentally last night!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 5:53pm

It's quite a complicated process of working out which telco provider is cheapest.  It all depends on how many calls you make, what times, and whether to mobiles, abroad, 0870 or landlines.

If you make over about 15 calls every evening to landlines, then maybe an unlimited package is best, otherwise 18866, and pay the 1p per call.  Or sign up for one of the companies with free weekend calls, and make the surplus on 18866.

There is of course nothing stopping you using 4 or 5 separate access codes, depending on who you are calling, and when just to save a few pence a week!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 6:46pm

Quote:
It's quite a complicated process of working out which telco provider is cheapest.  It all depends on how many calls you make, what times, and whether to mobiles, abroad, 0870 or landlines.

If you make over about 15 calls every evening to landlines, then maybe an unlimited package is best, otherwise 18866, and pay the 1p per call.  Or sign up for one of the companies with free weekend calls, and make the surplus on 18866.

There is of course nothing stopping you using 4 or 5 separate access codes, depending on who you are calling, and when just to save a few pence a week!!

I have to admit I've reached the stage where 4 (regularly under review) Rules apply:

(1). all daytime and weekday evening 01 or 02 calls are prefixed 18866;

(2). all weekend 01 and 02 calls use no prefix -  so they go out, free, on OneTel Standard UKTalk Carrier PreSelect.  Forgetting this Rule and still applying Rule (1) in error, is not a hanging offence - it increases the call cost from 0p to 1p!

(3). all 0845/0870 calls (if I have been unable to find a geographical alternative on this site or elsewhere) are prefixed 1280 - so they go out on BT;

(4). all calls to Spain (our only international call destination) are prefixed 1899.

Most of the rules are followed by simple programming on the faithful DECT phones.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2004 at 6:52pm by Heinz »  
After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ¡

Peterborough
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2004 at 11:46pm

Similar rules apply for me as well Heinz.

As I make so many calls (sometimes over 200) in a day checking numbers for this site, I've found OneTel TotalUKTalk plan works best for me.  Otherwise it would be 18866 as you suggest.

It's funny actually watching how the general opinion for 0845/0870 calls is turning back to BT, as I suggested it was the best way to go in my post "So WHO is the CHEAPEST 0845 / 0870 provider?" back in May.

I must get one of the Orchid Ranger 400 phones. I'm getting fed up with having to constantly reprogram my present Dect phone, first with 1899, then 18866, now back to 1899 again for different calls.   Undecided

IP Logged

robinp

Hampshire
Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 10:58am

Heinz, You said in paragraph (3) that you use a prefix 1280 to phone out to BT. I assume your line is supplied by either BT or NTL!  My line is with NTL & I override them to use One.Tel. Since the prefix is so long to override NTL I use an automatic dialler. Can I override the dialler to use BT by using the 1280 prefix, or do I have to disconnect the dialler, which would be a real nuisance? If the former applies can I use an ISP by dialling 1280 first. The reason I ask is not all ISPs will accept NTLs line. I'm not connected to BT at all!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004 at 11:06am by robinp »  

robinp

IP Logged

Arthur_Punter

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 11:03am

Hi Heinz, DaveM, Shiggaddi,

Thanks for all your suggestions - if I ever need to find anyone to say good things about OneTel I'll know where to come.

But actually, my original post was about Toucan. I have an Orchid dialer, currently programmed to direct certain calls over 18866 and 1899, and I'm planning to check out Toucan. They're offering £10 call credit for signing up, and an additional £10 if I can quote a phone number of an existing Toucan customer - who also gets £10 credit.

This appears to apply to all their tariffs, including ToucanTalk 3-2-1 - no monthly fee, and no contract. I can route calls via BT if I want. (And if I don't get the call credit, or if they don't perform, I walk.)

Most calls will go over 18866 and 1899, weekend calls will be free, 0845 and 0870 are the same price as BT (0845 cheaper than OneTel). I don't make an excessively large number of calls, and not very many 0845/0870, so that call credit should last a LONG time.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a hole for OneTel to fill for me.

So - if any Toucan user out there would be willing to refer me I'd love to hear from them.

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 1:47pm

Quote:
  Heinz, You said in paragraph (3) that you use a prefix 1280 to phone out to BT. I assume your line is supplied by either BT or NTL!  My line is with NTL & I override them to use One.Tel. Since the prefix is so long to override NTL I use an automatic dialler. Can I override the dialler to use BT by using the 1280 prefix, or do I have to disconnect the dialler, which would be a real nuisance? If the former applies can I use an ISP by dialling 1280 first. The reason I ask is not all ISPs will accept NTLs line. I'm not connected to BT at all!!!

I have a BT landline so the 1280 prefix just overrides my OneTel  CPS and puts calls back onto BT - and they add the cost to my quarterly line rental bill.

I don't think that sort of option is open to you - you have no account with BT so how would they bill you?

Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions - if I ever need to find anyone to say good things about OneTel I'll know where to come.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a hole for OneTel to fill for me.

I don't work for OneTel (honest) - although I have been a customer for some years.  

The only possible 'hole' you may wish to consider when making your Toucan/OneTel/TalkTalk decision is OneTel allow free Directory Enquires from registered phone numbers.  That's not important to me - I use the BT online version - but it could be quite a saving for some.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2004 at 9:31pm by Heinz »  

IP Logged

Arthur_Punter

Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2004 at 1:59pm

Useful point, Heinz - I didn't know that.

I can't remember the last time I used a telephonic directory enquiry - I always use the BT web site version.

IP Logged

basking

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 12:45pm

If you ever dial us here in the Isle of Man be aware that some UK providers exclude IOM 01624 nos from their inclusive packages, Toucan (IDT) is one of these ...disgraceful!

IP Logged

BexTech

A Proud European!

Reply #13 - Nov 8th, 2004 at 9:19pm

I use Talk Talk as they offer free evening and weekend calls (for 12 months).

I also use 1899 and 18866 as well.

Talk Talk are offering £20 credit when referred by someone already on Talk Talk.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2004 at 9:24pm by BexTech »  

IP Logged

Kirsten

Reply #14 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 12:11pm

Arthur, I have signed up with Toucan and would be happy to be your 'referral' so that we can make a tenner each !
Kirsten

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge