Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The EU - MEP - 0870 numbers (Read 9,076 times)
kk

The EU - MEP - 0870 numbers
Nov 22nd, 2004 at 9:32pm

I am not a fan of the EU, but I have sent the following letter to my MEP:

" .....  I am concerned at the increasing use of non geographical telephone numbers (0870  0871 and 0845) by organisations and Government departments in the UK.  The numbers are erroneously titled “national rate” and “local rate” numbers, but in fact are always charged at a premium above the normal  national or local rate. Even the so called “local rate numbers” (0845) are charged at or above the standard UK national rate.   0870 numbers are charged at a150% premium to the normal national rate, that is 7p to 8p, compared to the normal national rate of 3p/min.   0845 numbers are charged at 4p to 3p, compared to the normal national rate of 3p.   0871 numbers are 10p/min at all times - a minimum 230% premium.  The normal local and national UK wide tariff is merged into one rate of 3p/min.

I am concerned that calls originating from EU member states  to a UK non-geographical number attracts an extra premium and in some cases can not be used outside the UK.  The organisations receiving the telephone calls often receive an undisclosed  premium of up to about half the cost of the call. I consider the above to be a barrier to free trade and against the treaty provisions, regulations and directives of the EU.  It is also uncompetitive as alternative telecoms providers are obliged, by the nature of non-geographical numbers price structure, to also charge the same premiums.

The UK has a government organisation, Ofcom, which amongst other things,  regulates the UK telecoms market.  I feel that Ofcom has paid insufficient regard to the points I have made above about the use of non-geographical numbers and the general principle of free trade and free competition.  Under the doctrine of “Direct Effect” Ofcom may be in breach of EU law. I would also assert that government departments and government agencies who also use non-geographical numbers are also in breach of EU law.   BT, who is not a government department, may also be liable, as under EU law,  BT would be considered as an emanation of the state (Foster v British Gas [1990] ECR I-3313).

The UK does have a special category of premium telephone numbers starting with 09, to which special rules apply.  It is inexcusable that 0870, 0871 and 0845 number are not  placed in this special premium category.  By not placing those numbers in the premium category Ofcom are  helping to hide the true cost and nature of 0870, 0871 and 0845 numbers.

Can you ask the Commission to investigate this matter...."

KK

IP Logged

Gazzer

Don't be shafted by 0870.

Re: The EU - MEP - 0870 numbers
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 10:01pm

I wish I knew who my MEP was.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 11:01pm

I wish I cared.

No, that is awful and quite (very) irresponsible.

Have a look in http://www.europarl.org.uk/uk_meps/MembersMain.htm for your MEP.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 11:44pm

Quote:
0871 numbers are 10p/min at all times - a minimum 230% premium.

Unfortunately, you are wrong on the cost of 0871 calls - they vary between 3p and 10p.

IP Logged

Gazzer

Don't be shafted by 0870.

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 8:34am

Quote:
Unfortunately, you are wrong on the cost of 0871 calls - they vary between 3p and 10p.

Where can I find this information, particularly 0871 calls for 3p?

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 9:40am

You log onto www.magsys.co.uk

Then click on "online code look"

You can then put in the number in full, and it lists the cost of the call, based on standard BT rates, and the name of the provider of the number.

It lists all types of non geographic numbers, it also tells you the network of mobiles, although it can't distinguish between virgin and t mobile!!

If you put a geographic number, you can find out where it's located, and whether it's BT, or cable line.

Premium rate numbers are also included.

0871 numbers are between 6-10p minute, and 0844 numbers are 1p-5p minute.  If of course you can find an 0871 costing 3p minute, I stand to be corrected!!

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2004 at 9:42am by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 9:41am

Quote:
Where can I find this information, particularly 0871 calls for 3p?

Just click on the "they vary between 3p and 10p" link I supplied in my first post.

Be aware though that the prices vary according to the number range.  

For Shiggaddi, there appears to be a number range - but only one number range  (08710901xxx) - which is charged (by BT) at 3p/minute.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2004 at 9:50am by N/A »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2004 at 10:47am

Quote:
You log onto www.magsys.co.uk

Then click on "online code look"

It lists all types of non geographic numbers, it also tells you the network of mobiles, although it can't distinguish between virgin and t mobile!!

That's a nice site. I usually use http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/ which gives much the same information.

Re Virgin mobile, they are a virtual operator using the T-Mobile network, so that's why they are listed as T-Mobile in the databases. I've been unable to find a list of codes used by Virgin which is a pity as SMS between Virgin mobiles are only 3p, but not to T-Mobile phones.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge