<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Microsoft (Read 85,906 times)
whosforachat

Re: Microsoft Professional Accountant Program Supp
Reply #30 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:54am

Whoops.  Sorry. Was sure I had, but obviously didn't. Thanks for telling me.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Microsoft Professional Accountant Program Supp
Reply #31 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 9:58am

Not a problem. Most of their numbers are in Ireland, so best to use a dial through number (be cheaper than dialling directly from the landline).

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

annieuk

Microsoft claim free 0870 calls
Reply #32 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:55am

Microsoft, UK branch, state:

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 1 (SP1). This support for SP1 is valid until March 18, 2009.
No-charge: Unlimited support requests.
0870 60 10 100
UNQUOTE

Taken from: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

I have a long, ongoing query at:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=4006787&siteid=17

It seems to me that Microsoft UK cannot use the (free) 0800 phone number service because the call (somehow or other) is dealt with (somehow or other) in India...
0800 phone numbers are available for the UK only at present.
0870 phone numbers are available for redirected international phone calls.

This is explained clearly at:
http://www.primex.co.uk/index.php?text=normal&display=0870

However, Microsoft customers in the US get free help...
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:57am by annieuk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Microsoft claim free 0870 calls
Reply #33 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 8:22pm

annieuk wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:55am:

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 1 (SP1). This support for SP1 is valid until March 18, 2009.
No-charge: Unlimited support requests.
0870 60 10 100
UNQUOTE

annieuk, I have joined your thread to the existing one. Have a look at what is posted and do a search of the database for
microsoft

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Re: Microsoft
Reply #34 - Oct 20th, 2008 at 10:00pm

There must be a time limit after which a topic deserves a new thread as the old one was such a long time ago Wink

This one goes back to January this year, but the previous time it was even worse as the last post was in 2006! This isn't the easiest forum to search for old threads either (possibly due to YaBB not being database-driven?)

Anyway, as for Microsoft, how can they get away with saying 0870 is free? Besides, after they've ripped you off when you fork out for a copy of Windows, the least they can do is help you for free without a covert premium rate number. Otherwise what else are you paying for? The software certainly isn't worth it!

IP Logged

annieuk

Reply #35 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 2:54pm

Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

I found an 0800 number: 0800 281221.

This has a nightmare of options... and after several attempts to find someone who could help me with Vista SP1, and having been passed entirely around the world, I gave up.

This number is for something that sounds like... technet???

But it does show that Microsoft are aware of the 0800 prefix for a free number, and are prepared to transfer the caller around the world, to countries including Germany and India... Funny that, because I didn't think that that could happen with an 0800 number yet... clearly MS can manage anything if they want to...

I have contacted the UK Trading Standards people to see if they can help...

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #36 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:04pm

The number +353 1 4502113 is worth a try. It's a Republic of Ireland number, so use a provider like 18185 which costs 1p/min.

IP Logged

annieuk

Reply #37 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:11pm

Dave,

I don't want to pay at all... MS say it's free, that means pay nothing. People in the US pay nothing.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #38 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:13pm

annieuk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2008 at 3:11pm:
Dave,

I don't want to pay at all... MS say it's free, that means pay nothing. People in the US pay nothing.

The support is free, you have to pay for the call, (No-charge: Unlimited support requests.)

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #39 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 3:04pm

derrick wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 12:13pm:
The support is free, you have to pay for the call, (No-charge: Unlimited support requests.)

Great, so we may as well shut down this website as it's now OK for companies to derive revenue from non-geographical numbers!

As annieuk says, in America they have a "toll-free" number. Why can't we have the same? Just another example of rip-off Britain, and of Microsoft taking foreign countries for a ride.

But if not a free number, all we ask for is a normal phone number so people pay their normal phone costs to call, rather than having to pay a premium over and above standrad costs, which goes to the company concerned in payment for a supposedly free service. That's what this website's been about from the start, so I'm surprised to see a long-standing member following the companies' line.

IP Logged

annieuk

Reply #40 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Microsoft do use some free 0800 numbers:
0800 281221
0800 587292.
However neither of these deal with Vista SP1, and appear to be membership-type helplines... technet???

So...
I will have to pay 10p per minute on an 0870 number, from which Microsoft will receive 2p per minute commission.
Look at:
http://www.primex.co.uk/index.php?text=normal&display=0871

I shall have to hang on through several option menus.
AND... rumour has it... they won't be able to help me anyway...

And let's get this into perspective...
SP1 is supposed to correct the Microsoft errors in Vista, the operating system that I have already paid for...

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:35pm

annieuk wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:08pm:
So...
I will have to pay 10p per minute on an 0870 number, from which Microsoft will receive 2p per minute commission.
Look at:
http://www.primex.co.uk/index.php?text=normal&display=0871

You appear to be confusing 0870 and 0871 numbers.

Virgin and a number of other line/calls providers (e.g. Sky) do, indeed, charge 10p/minute to call 0870 numbers at times but, from a BT landline, they are never that costly and, for those with a 18185 account as well, they're often a lot less.

The cost of calling 0871 numbers from a BT landline varies, depending on the 5th, 6th and 7th digits, between 6p and 10p/minute.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:35pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

annieuk

Reply #42 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Sorry...

QUOTE taken from: http://www.primex.co.uk/index.php?text=normal&display=0870

Do I earn money from an 0870 number?
Yes, you will earn 1.5p per minute for any incoming call to an 0870 number during business hours and 0.5p per minute during the cheap rate times. No rebates for weekend minutes. For the latest prices and details about other types of marketing numbers please view the Microsoft Word document containing latest prices

How much do callers pay to ring an 0870 number?
Callers will be charged around 6.9p/min to 8.9p/min depending on their service provider. Which is basically a national rated call. Many providers make a distiction between calling non-geographic and geographic numbers and therefore they have two rates for national calls (which is obviously confusing) - the 0870 numbers come under a non geographic national rate tarrif. We have no control on how much the callers phone company will charge them, every operator can be different.
UNQUOTE

Shame... Microsoft don't make as much money as I thought...

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #43 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 10:05pm

annieuk wrote on Oct 24th, 2008 at 7:41pm:
Do I earn money from an 0870 number?
Yes, you will earn 1.5p per minute for any incoming call to an 0870 number during business hours and 0.5p per minute during the cheap rate times. No rebates for weekend minutes. For the latest prices and details about other types of marketing numbers please view the Microsoft Word document containing latest prices

The revenue the company receives depends on its supplier. It varies from provider to provider, and large company such as Microsoft may well have a deal that gives them a larger share than small businesses would receive.

As for Vista, I know it's a matter of principle that you want your free support, but have you tried posting to forums online for help? Not only doesn't it cost anything, but you'll find lots of knowledgeable people who are infinitely more help than the people on Microsoft's helpline, who often are just following a multiple-choice script.

IP Logged

annieuk

Re: Microsoft claim free 0870 calls
Reply #44 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 11:26pm

annieuk wrote on Oct 20th, 2008 at 11:55am:

I have a long, ongoing query at:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=4006787&siteid=17

Oh... just noticed that their address includes 'TechNet'... will go back to them and check out the relevant 0800 number...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge