Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
OFTEL and 0990 / 0870 (Read 40,657 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: OFTEL and 0990 / 0870
Reply #30 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 9:40pm

Quote:
I truly dont think there is any hope of Ofcom coming down on the side of the consumer, they dont even understand the problem, or the situation.

Believe me Flutty they understand the issue very well at the Stephen Carter and Kip Meek level at Ofcom although possibly not at the level at which your letter was responded to if you made the error of writing to the mere Ofcom Contact Centre?  I would have hoped that you didn't do that and that you would have written to Stephen Carter if you wanted a sensible reply?

The reason they won't give you a straight answer is because it doesn't suit their agenda to admit they screwed up when they allowed BT to go ahead with NTS or that they completely missed the potential for revenue sharing.  And as for OFTEL being a different outfit well do me a favour but don't at least half of OFTEL's former employees still work at Ofcom.  The reality is that OFTEL to Ofcom was almost no change for many of those concerned.  The big change was for the guys from the Radio Authority and the ITC, most of whom lost their jobs when they were merged into Ofcom.

Basically a lot of hard and nasty people in the commercial world pushed to create 0870 because they hated customers calling them and wanted to make more money out of them.  And as OFTEL/Ofcom has unfortunately always been almost totally corrupted as a regulator by employing so many people from the telecoms industry they have never taken the side of consumers as they are supposed to do.

I think you might get further by writing to your MP with a copy of your letter and getting him to ask parliamentary questions about why it was ignored etc.

Just a suggestion

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #31 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 10:34am

NGM,

It appears that Ofcom 'lost' part of my letter, despite me sending it recorded delivery. Hence all the guy got was the copies of the previous letters in 93/95. They lost my newspaper cuttings and my covering letter.
I am keeping all the correspondence and will send it my MP once I have any sort of reply from Ofcom.

thanks for your support and advice,
much appreciated,

Flutty

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #32 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 8:50am

I am still awaiting a reply from Ofcom to my letter of Februry, they managed to lose half of the original letter, despite it being sent Recorded Delivery. The second letter never arrived, again sent Recorded Delivery. Royal Mail state that 'Large Companies' cannot sign for individual letters, therefore I cannot prove one way or another IF they got it, so sending anything Recorded Delivery is a total waste of money and time. They did get my third letter intact, but of course I am now awaiting a reply.

Of more interest is this extract from an Ofcom document:

Quote:
Section 63 . Ofcom.s general duty as to telephone numbering functions

A5.6 In making the modifications to the Plan, Ofcom considers that it is fulfilling its duty in section 63 of the Act (which refers to Ofcom’s general duty as to telephone numbering functions), namely that Ofcom is:

• securing the best use of appropriate numbers, in that the revised designations for the 0844, 0845, 0870 and 0871 ranges will continue to allow these numbers to be used for the provision of value-added services, whilst ensuring that there continues to be pressure on retail prices for these services; and

• encouraging efficiency and innovation, in that the modifications to the Plan ensure that those applying for numbers understand what retail pricing arrangements will apply to their services when using these numbers, and those wishing to set their own retail prices in order to fund innovative services will be able to do so.

I was actually searching for the rules regulating the USE of 0845 / 0870 etc numbers. It appears that it is quite clear that these numbers should ONLY be used for 'Value Added Services', therefore not just in place of what was originally a geographic number.
The BBC Information Line could, I suppose, be a genuine case of an added value.
But certainly not when you get exactly the same service that was provided on the previous geographic number.
Has anyone out there followed this line of questioning?

It seems that my letter from 1995 could be very valuable, if Ofcom have been allowing the use of these number groupings for the wrong purposes for the last 10 years.

more soon

Flutty

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #33 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 10:59am

Quote:
Royal Mail state that 'Large Companies' cannot sign for individual letters,

Hmm, one for Postwatch I think, particularly since the Inland Revenue still manages to sign for each individual letter. But, of course, "Royal Mail Customer Service" always seemed to employ people who were unaware of the Royal Mail's services, let alone how to be of service to a customer.
And I do not recall seeing a notice in any Post Office advising customers about this change to Recorded Delivery. Grrrr

IP Logged

kk

Reply #34 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Hi Flutty

The National Audit Office has a supervisory role in Ofcom’s procedures.
Send the details of the “lost letters” to them.  John.Bourn@nao.gsi.gov.uk.

Quote from the Ofcom web site:
"7.2.1      Ofcom will be externally audited and monitored by the National Audit Office (NAO) and the Public Accounts Committee (PAC)."
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2005 at 6:13pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge