Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer??? (Read 29,145 times)
CG

Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer???
Feb 12th, 2005 at 9:58pm

Has anyone else noticed that BBC's 'Watchdog', probably the leading consumer programme, invites viewers to call an 0870 number?  Every week I see the number advertised I visit the Watchdog site (http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/) and via the 'contact us' tab leave a suitable complaint about this practice.  It is iniquitous that a programme that purports to be on the side of the consumer should stoop to the use of an 0870 number.  I hope everyone else will do the same.

Meanwhile, this is a fantastic site - keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:00pm by CG »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Re: Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer???
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:03pm

I sometimes refer to it as my favourite comedy program.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:16pm

It is a bit of a joke isn't it, compulsive watching though!

The problem is even they do not know that they are ripping the viewer off. And the BBC has gone on record as saying that they do not make any money out of 0870.

NEG again?

J

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 4:03pm

No, I am sure it is the Capita group again, the lot that run the Congestion charge in London, I think they also run the Licence Fee gathering for the BBC. I think they were behind various other failed government IT schemes as well, but they always seem to get the work. But the BBC always claim that therefore that the 0870 is nothing to do with them. I have written many times to Watchdog, You and Yours and Feedback, to get them to raise the subject with Capita, but naturally to no avail,

cheers

Flutty

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 9:16pm

You mention You & Yours, at least out of three parties quoted they alone have done two programmes on our side.

IP Logged

Flutty

NO to revenue sharing
on 08xx

Hampshire
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:03am

Yes, all three of the programmes have come out against the use of 0870 numbers, the point I am making is that they ALL continue to use 0870 numbers. When challenged on this they use the defence that the call centres are not run by the BBC so therefore beyond their control. Which is of course nonsense, as I asume they agree the contracts in the first place??
???

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 11:35am

Quote:
No, I am sure it is the Capita group again, the lot that run the Congestion charge in London, I think they also run the Licence Fee gathering for the BBC. I think they were behind various other failed government IT schemes as well, but they always seem to get the work. But the BBC always claim that therefore that the 0870 is nothing to do with them.

Why not actually go to the horse's mouth, so to speak, by contacting the relevant people at Capita:-

These are Ian Stuart at Capita in Belfast who actually works for Capita despite his email address being ian.stuart@bbc.co.uk -  Tel :- 028 9053 5772

Ian is Capita's head of IT and is directly responsible for and knowledgeable about the whole Capita BBC Information phone system with Cable & Wireless.  According to him Capita don't get a revenue share from Cable & Wireless but just gets a special arrangement to set up new 0870 and even 0800 numbers for BBC programs on demand in about 5 minutes flat.  Although Geoff Brighton at Ofcom actually told me that he had heard that the BBC got a really good deal on their outgoing calls with Cable & Wireless as an offset for all the incoming 0870 business.

Why not give Ian Stuart a call with your views (028 9053 5772) or you alternatively may prefer to email his boss - paul.pindar@capita.co.uk - who runs the whole sordid operation.

You can get more information on Ian Stuart where I found it at www.infj.ulst.ac.uk/~bcs/officers.html

I hope this is of some assistance.

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:16pm

I wrote to Watchdog and have just received their reply as shown below. I choose at this stage not to identify the signatory but would really appreciate comments from the more experienced SAYNO members amongst you - before issuing my considered reply.
The letter writer certainly appears to be genuinely trying to explain and I'm inclined to appreciate that ...but are they wrong ? Is there a better cheaper way for them to carry out their function ?
Obviously their view that the 0870 is NOT Premium rate is open to a variety of comment !

Lavillegour

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion surrounding 0870 numbers and why Watchdog uses one.

0870 numbers are NOT premium rate numbers.  Calls to our number cost up to 8 pence a minute (8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays) and 5 pence a minute (6 p.m. to 8 a.m. weekdays) and the BBC receives no income whatsoever from these calls. With average call lengths of one minute thirty seconds, it is therefore cheaper to call the BBC than sending us a letter using a first or second class stamp.  The reason for using an 0870 number is partly to enable us to give a better service to callers by allowing us to route the calls more efficiently and deploy call automation to handle peak demands.  Some of these technical benefits would not be available if we were to use geographical numbers instead (ie: those beginning 0207 for London or 0161 for Manchester etc) or would cost the BBC extra to provide, and that would take money out of programme making and could effect the level of service we are able to offer the viewer.    It is also thought to be fairer to all of our viewers for a call to cost the same no matter where in the country you are calling from.  With an 0870 number our viewers in Scotland pay exactly the same as those in London.

OFCOM will be reviewing the use of 0870 numbers in August and we will of course follow any recommendations or rulings that they make.

I hope this helps you understand the reasoning behind why we use this number.  The interests of our viewers is always of paramount importance to us and we will continue to review the situation to ensure the most appropriate number is used to suit the needs of the public who use this service.

Best wishes

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:26pm

Just got the same reply myself!!

It's wrong on so many accounts - it's such a SCAM.

Where do you start?

How about the Post Office telecom deal charges 10ppm at any time to 0870 number?

Can you name me a telecom plan where local and national rate calls are charged at different rates? Even BT don't do that now!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:34pm

Quote:
The letter writer certainly appears to be genuinely trying to explain and I'm inclined to appreciate that ...but are they wrong ? Is there a better cheaper way for them to carry out their function ?

The latest revised Central Office of Information Guidance shows that there is actually a cheaper way for the BBC to handle these calls.  Its called "intelligent routing on Standard Geographical Numbers"  Don't take my word for it but check out the COI guidance here:-

www.coi.gov.uk/documents/ccg-update.pdf

As the BBC is ultimately a taxpayer owned operation you can make a very strong case that they should be following the COI guidance right now and not be waiting for any future Ofcom guidance, which is really only relevant for commercial companies who are currently allowed to profiteer from 0870 calls.

The BBC does profit from these 0870 calls in many ways indirectly because it gets a special deal with Cable & Wireless for setting up ad-hoc 0870 numbers for certain programs at short notice that Cable & Wireless doesn't do for anyone else.  The BBC also appear to get big discounts on their outgoing call costs from Cable & Wireless that they wouldn't get if Cable & Wireless wasn't profiting from all these incoming 0870 calls to the BBC.  The main expert at Ofcom, Mr Geoff Brighton, has told me that this is going on.

The letter you have had is just a stock propaganda letter the BBC sends all their customers who complain about 0870, although the thing about expecting further guidance from Ofcom in August is very, very interesting and new.  It seems that they know of a date for action that nobody else is yet aware of.  Unless that is an old date from last year with August being the date that Ofcom was meant to publish their NTS consultation document.

You may also be  interested in all the responses to the two Ofcom consultations on NTS/084/7 to be found here.  The response from the Ofcom Consumer Panel is a particularly robust one:-

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsoptions/

and

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/ntsctmr/
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:35pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Alternative

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:52pm

Yes, I went to the BBC Watchdog and posted the following message:-

'Why do you use a premium rate 0870 number for members of the public to contact you?  For an organisation which pupports to be on the side of the consumer this is appalling. 

Telephone Provider's 'national call rate' (BT for example) is no more than 3p per minute.  However your 0870 number costs up to 3 times this amount to telephone and is still advertised by organisations which use them as 'National Rate'  They aren't, they are Premium Rate numbers and you should stop using them and display your geographic number which normally will begin with 01 or 02. 

How much 'kick-back' of 'revenue share' do you get when an unsuspecting member of the public rings the number to discuss a problem?

I urge you to stop this unfair practice - if you don't you and other organisations which use these numbers will continue
to get bad publicity by using them!

It will be interesting to see what response I get.

Alternative

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 1:56pm

lavillegour,

Whilst I would agree the tone of the letter is generally more 'friendly' than many replies on the subject, it still contains a number of errors (some would say falsehoods).

First, the assertion that 0870 numbers, "....are NOT premium rate numbers" can be shown to be false. 

We all know that '09' numbers are Premium Rate but the cost of calling 090000, 090074, 090116, 090125 and a number of other '09' codes is LESS than 8p per minute.  Ergo, 0870 numbers are Premium Rate numbers.

Second, there is the "Calls to our number cost up to 8 pence a minute (8 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays) and 5 pence a minute (6 p.m. to 8 a.m. weekdays)" statement.  BT changed their interpretation of 'day' last week and the charges are now up to 8p per minute 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays and 5 pence a minute 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. weekdays.

Finally and most importantly, there is the now familiar 'levels the geographical playing field' twaddle, "It is also thought to be fairer to all of our viewers for a call to cost the same no matter where in the country you are calling from.  With an 0870 number our viewers in Scotland pay exactly the same as those in London."

Since 1/7/04, when BT did away with the differentiation between 'local' and 'national' calls and standardised the cost of calls from anywhere in the UK to UK 01 and 02 numbers at 3p/minute weekdays and 5.5p for up to an hour evenings and weekends, a viewer in Scotland dialling a London 02 number pays exactly the same as a viewer in London (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter) making the same call.

All the use of 0870 numbers does is make sure all callers pay 8p (or 5p) per minute instead of 3p per minute (or 5.5p for up to an hour) - in other words, a Premium Rate!.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005 at 2:08pm by bill »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 2:45pm

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what response I get.

Sorry but the reply to your complaint won't be the least bit interesting, it will be the usual drivel that all BBC customer service staff always spout.

If you want to get anywhere you need to email the BBC top brass e.g.

michael.grade@bbc.co.uk  Chairman
alistair.thompson@bbc.co.uk Chief Exec
ashley.highfield@bbc.co.uk  Technology Director

Or how about tessa.jowell@culture.gov.uk

or

stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk and kip.meek@ofom.org.uk

or

marc.michael@coi.gov.uk

or

milibandd@parliament.uk

If you send a standard customer letter you will just get a standard customer response treating you as a dummy.

Sorry to have to tell you that but its how the BBC operates.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2005 at 10:53pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 3:35pm

Do the BBC come under the FOI act?

IP Logged

kk

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 6:41pm

My response (Motto: keep it simple) would be along the lines of:

As 0870 number cost over 150% more than normal geographical numbers (01 and 02) they are de facto premium rate numbers.  Depending on the telecom provider, 0870 numbers cost between 7p and 10p during the day. They have been describes as such by Ofcom and BT as premium numbers.

The term “local rate” and “national rate” now has no practical meaning and are terms used only to confuse consumers.  BT, along with all other telecom providers has one universal UK rate regardless of UK location.  During the day, BT charge, at most, 3p/min for ALL UK calls to 01 and 02 numbers, other telecom providers charge less. A call from London to London cost the same as a call from Edinburgh to London.

0870 numbers are revenue sharing numbers, which means that the caller pays extra for the call and this extra money in shared by the called number and the telecome provider. This fact is kept secret from the caller.

01 and 02 number can, given the correct instructions, do anything an 0870 number can do.  Telecom providers generally keep silent about this, as they prefer to sell the more profitable 0870 numbers.  Does the BBC, or agents, receive any part of this revenue?

Please respond to the above under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, remembering to be honest, as required by the Act .

KK

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge