Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer??? (Read 29,234 times)
TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Re: Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer???
Reply #15 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 6:54pm

Quote:
Sorry but the reply to your complaint won't be the least bit interesting, it will be the usual drivel that all BBC customer service staff always spout.

If you want to get anywhere you need to email the BBC top brass e.g.

michael.grade@bbc.co.uk  Chairman
alistair.thompson@bbc.co.uk Chief Exec
ashley.highfield@bbc.co.uk  Technology Director

Or how about tessa.jowell@culture.gov.uk

or

stephen.carter@ofcom.org.uk and kip.meek@customer.org.uk

or

marc.michael@coi.gov.uk

or

milibandd@parliament.uk

If you send a standard customer letter you will just get a standard customer response treating you as a dummy.

Sorry to have to tell you that but its how the BBC operates.

Hi NGM,
I agree that top brass & MPs should be lobbied with some direct simply explained facts. It would perhaps help if all 1800 or so of us members & those who just 'visit' this site had a sample letter to email. I find it difficult to exactly describe the true facts and perhaps you could do something on these lines as your understanding of the situation is obviously wider than most people's. A combined assault to these people & TV shows may get a better response than just odd individual letters & perhaps done on a weekly or monthly regular basis, as you have I believe already said  your name is being recognised too often after repeated lobbying.

Wink
Yesterday I phoned the DVLC simply for a form V796. I could not phone the nearest local office and was on the 0870 number for 6 mins after going through 5 if not 6 six option menues.

Also where have I seen postings that 087* & 084* are to be banned , particularly as GP Surgeries are on the scam bandwaggon.

Keep up the good work!!

TonyB

IP Logged

Heinz
Ex Member

DVLA 01792 782341
Reply #16 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 7:43pm

Quote:
Yesterday I phoned the DVLC simply for a form V796. I could not phone the nearest local office and was on the 0870 number for 6 mins after going through 5 if not 6 six option menues.
Why did you call the DVLA on one of their 0870 numbers?

idb got them to admit to a geographic contact number at the end of last month in response to his/her FOI request for disclosure:
Quote:
Ref: Freedom of Information Act 2000 - request for information 

I am writing to confirm that the Agency has now completed its search for the information which you requested on 1 January 2005. 

As an overseas caller, you requested an alternative geographic number for making driver/vehicle enquiries.  I can confirm that our switchboard number is
01792 782341
and can be used for this purpose. 

If you are unhappy with the way the Agency has handled your request, you may ask for an internal review.  You should contact me if you wish to complain. 

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a decision.  The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: 

Information Commissioner's Office 
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane 
Wilmslow 
Cheshire 
SK9 5AF 

If you have any queries about this e-mail, please contact me, quoting the above reference in any future communications.

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #17 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 9:05pm

Hi Heinz,
Thanks for the tip!!!
However search for this number in our database here , (now that I have suddenly thought of it), comes up with Chester DVLC 01244 409650 the other number you quote has not been registered. On their side though, I suppose to be fair they made say 5px6 = 30p & they are posting me the form with no charge. ( Bit of a softee really!)(Believe that & you'll believe anything!). What did you think about mass mailing idea or has this been mooted before?
Undecided

IP Logged

lavillegour

We'll All Be Dead in 100
Years !

Reply #18 - Feb 22nd, 2005 at 9:28pm

Just thought I'd copy my reply F Y I .

lavillegour

"I am not at all sure whether you actually composed the arguments within your email yourself or received guidance and assistance from elsewhere within your organisation. In any event immediately upon receipt I decided to publish it's contents on the 'saynoto0870.co.uk' website. A website that I hope you are aware of  ! -  Note that I published only the content and chose to avoid giving your name as perpetrator of the ideas contained within the email (after all perhaps you weren't !).

Probably because I am  a bit lazy and at an age when I mostly wish to avoid the written/spoken debate (especially with the deaf  who patently know better)  I suggest that you access this website, click on 'Discussion' and read very carefully the seven comments that have already arrived in response to your arguably 'misguided' explanation.  These can be found under the heading :  Watchdog on 0870 - defending the consumer ???

In addition it would probably be beneficial if you were to read into many of the other discussion paths. You may become as angry as many of us are at the growing scam being perpetrated against an unknowing but largely apathetic public by public bodies, banks, large company's etc and even general practitioners within the health service .

Of course you may respond to those comments directly to the website yourself or reply to me if you feel you are able to justify some of your beliefs. Whatever course you take I now see that I need to direct my attention elsewhere (to where the power resides) so that such persuasive nonsense is  overcome - after all you obviously believe it !

Thanks for at least putting your head above the BBC Watchdog 'parapit' "

IP Logged

TonyB

Innocently looking to
save money!!!!

York
Reply #19 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 10:36am

Herewith copy of email I recently sent to THIS MORNING

To:    thismorning@thismorning.co.uk  

Subject:   Scams  

Date:   Feb 07 2005, 02:03 PM

Hi,

I have phoned in, but I guess too late to be counted so to speak. With regard to less than transparent presentation (scams) I find it rather hypocritical of yourselves to point the finger at scams (Quite rightly of course) whilst perpetrating I think 2 sorts of deception yourselves!!!

1/ Offering a diamond pendant worth you say £5000 (probably costing 50% @ trade price) as a prize for a ridiculously easy question. How many thousand viewers particularly housewives phone in @ £1 per call (or was it per minute?????) I bet more than 5000.

2/ To contact you by phone requires use of an 0870 number.There is at present a move afoot to try to get Oftel to look into the massive scam in the unnecessary use of these numbers. To explain: - When BT used to charge different amounts per minute for calls from longer distances (ie National call rates) it was a fair move on the part of organisations wishing to equate the cost of contact by customers wherever they lived in the UK. Now there is no difference between the per min. charges as Local & National calls are the same price @ 3p per min.through the day, whereas 0870 numbers are charged @ 7.51p per min and in many cases up to 4.5p is actually paid by BT to the number holder!!!! If you look @ your phone bill you will now find two new categories of charge which are "National Rate" covering 0870 etc & Lo-call covering 0845. If This Morning gave your London geographical number rather than the 0870 it would cost callers less to contact you, unless you like making a large amount of revenue from this source. To maximise benefit by the misuse of this system some of the organisations  using 0870 & 0871 numbers employ a long "menu" to enable you to contact the dept you need & then have you hold as a "valuable caller" until an agent is free!!

In the case of, would you believe it, the DVLC in Swansea receives thousands of calls in a week say 10,000 each averaging say 10 mins then 10x10,000x4p= £4000x52weeks=£208,000pa. Food for serious thought.

Being even more nitpicky if you consider that the new tariffs charged by BT., whereby you do not pay for actual calls, exclude 08** & 09** numbers so these people pay twice.

My name is Tony B*** & my phone number is 01*** ******
More expert comment on these scams is available on www.saynoto0870.com

As you will no doubt have guessed these are matters I consider really serious.  Hoping to hear from you, Tony.

Any members suggestions to edit/ clarify for mass usage welcome. TonyB.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2005 at 4:00pm by Forum Admin »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 12:15pm

Thanks to Non Geo Man for posting those email addresses.

I sent Ian Stuart an email yesterday and he has replied saying that he doesn't respond to viewers and listeners and has directed me to BBC Information.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 12:35pm

Quote:
Thanks to Non Geo Man for posting those email addresses.

I sent Ian Stuart an email yesterday and he has replied saying that he doesn't respond to viewers and listeners and has directed me to BBC Information.

I think Ian is already regretting his rather long conversation with me after which I sent a follow up email to various members of the BBC executive board (not the board of governors) attempting to clarify the Corporation's precise business arrangements with Capita and with Cable & Wireless.

Perhaps telephoning Ian may have rather more effect as it will give him less time to think about whether or not he should answer the question.

I found him originally by typing the words "BBC Capita Belfast" into Google and his union representative post (also quoting his email address and phone number) popped up in the top five.

This is all part of my campaign of guerilla war against companies with these numbers where I never ever respect their wishes that I should simply bash my head against a concrete wall in their customer services department.

Most commercial bodies list their executive directors in either "About Us" or "Corporate Governance" on their website and most email addresses are usually firstname.surname@company.co.uk or .com  Failing that its usually either firstname_surname or asurname or firstnamesurname or occasionally just firstname

Ofcom still incredibly seem to be minded to go down the increased granularity (that is more uknowably priced 0844 numbers) and more call pricing information route despite the very clear cut suggestion from both BT and the Ofcom Consumer Panel that this won't work.

We must keep up the pressure on Ofcom and the 087/084 abusers during this critical period.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #22 - Feb 24th, 2005 at 1:11pm

Quote:
Ofcom still incredibly seem to be minded to go down the increased granularity (that is more uknowably priced 0844 numbers) and more call pricing information route despite the very clear cut suggestion from both BT and the Ofcom Consumer Panel that this won't work.

This got me thinking. It appears that Ofcom aren't going to learn a lesson and stop this rip-off, they're just changing it. So what motives would the industry have for continuing it all and what are the possible outcomes?

I've given my opinions on this in What will Ofcom do?
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2005 at 2:39pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

CG

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 9:33am

Did anyone hear the tail-end of You & Yours on Radio 4 yesterday?  They mentioned the feature 'Call You & Yours' that takes place on Tuesdays, which uses an 0870 number.  However, the announcement yesterday said that anyone calling on that number will not be put on hold, and they will call you back if requested.  Now, I'm no expert, but won't that initial call attract the usual minimum call charge which, on 0870, is as we all know a good deal more than a standard call?  And I wonder who decides when the period 'on hold' actually starts?

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 11:30am

Yes I heard it and remember thinking as they don't make any money out of it why do they persist in using it?

Well they don't do they, they have said so often enough.

Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 11:38am

Quote:
Yes I heard it and remember thinking as they don't make any money out of it why do they persist in using it?

Well they don't do they, they have said so often enough.

It appears that you have to be running some kind of community affairs radio program at the BBC to qualify for their small ration of 0800 numbers from Cable & Wireless.

The stupid thing is that all we want is an 01 or 02 number which would cost the BBC next to nothing to run compared to the vast call costs that firms receiving 0800 calls (costs generally as high as for making an 0870 call) have to pay.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #26 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 1:15pm

Quote:
Did anyone hear the tail-end of You & Yours on Radio 4 yesterday?  They mentioned the feature 'Call You & Yours' that takes place on Tuesdays, which uses an 0870 number.  However, the announcement yesterday said that anyone calling on that number will not be put on hold, and they will call you back if requested.  Now, I'm no expert, but won't that initial call attract the usual minimum call charge which, on 0870, is as we all know a good deal more than a standard call?

The minimum call charge with BT is 5p and it costs 7.51p/min to call 0870 during the daytime. Up to 40 seconds it costs 5p (the minimum charge), and after that it costs more.

IP Logged

kjones

Reply #27 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 2:28am

But we all know that by dialling 18866 or 1899 we only get charged 1p connection fee, so why should we have to phone an 0870 or 0845 number??? Keep up the good work by exposing these rip off merchants and giving their geographic numbers so we don't pay more than 1p for each call!!

IP Logged

ETnotphoning0870

Reply #28 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 3:24pm

As a new and rather confused user can anyone please tell me if I the right to demand a non geographical number from any company I phone. I see the FOI act mentioned and wonder if I quote this to them. I am a bit cloudy on my rights and want to go in fully armed . Thanks

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #29 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 4:06pm

On Phoning commercial companies, it is certainly worth asking them in the nature of good customer services, whether they will provide a geographic number to call.  Many companies will do this, in order to keep a customer happy, especially if you're a prospective customer.  I don't think you can throw the FOI act in their face, but you can certainly use the "I might take my business elsewhere" line

However people live the DVLA, Inland Revenue, and other government departments, you don't really have the luxury of taking your business elsewhere.  But Government departments, and I think NHS surgeries will be covered by the FOI.  It is certainly asking for a request for government departments, but I think private commercial companies you won't get anywhere with FOI.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge