Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday PeakTime (Read 25,467 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday PeakTime
Feb 28th, 2005 at 9:46pm

No one so far seems to have commented on this but it is undoubtedly directly related to 0870 issues in that (a) it directly increases the period each day when people have to pay 7.51p per minute to call an 0870 number and (b) it is yet a further indication of the complete incompetence of Ofcom in managing to control BT who still continue to walk all over them.

So for those of you who are not yet aware of this issue since Thursday 24th February 2005 BT has extended the weekday peak calling period from 8am to 6pm on Monday to Friday to 6am to 6pm Monday to Friday.  This is surely wholly inexplicable since at this time (6am to 8am) most people are either still asleep in bed (for those living near work and working non American hours) or eating their breakfast or on a train or in a car travelling to work.  But what they are not doing between 6am and 8am is making business to business phone calls to other businesses.  If they are making calls it is to friends & relatives.

Obvious questions occur like how did Ofcom allows this or was Ofcom's permission required and if not why not, given that BT has Significant Market Power in the fixed line telecoms market place and also given that the weekday peak calling period has been 8am to 6pm practically since God was a boy (although once upon a time BT/the GPO used to charge more again for calls in the weekday morning period).

How can BT get away with this?  They already have enough scams going like charging normal weekday peak time prices on weekdays that are bank holidays (eg Christmas Day) and charging by call length for 118500 directory enquiry calls thus making it in their interests to train their operators to carry out inefficient searches.

Is Mr Kip Meek at all on the ball at Ofcom or was he simply both kipping and or being meek to BT when they made this proposal.

Where was the Ofcom consultation on this.  Why did no one on this website seem to know about it?

Words fail me.  How can this further BT outrage have been allowed only a few months after Ofcom let them get away with abolishing Standard Line Rental and increasing the quarterly line rental by £9.70 for anyone routing most, but not all, of their calls away from BT.  Do Ofcom vaguely even have a clue what they are doing?

What next?  Presumably next 6pm to 8pm will become part of the weekday peak (that would actually be more justifiable than 6am to 8am given the typical opening hours of shops) and then after that 8pm to 10pm and then 10pm to midnight.  Perhaps Saturday mornings can be classified into the weekday peak period as well by BT.  That would increase 0870 calling costs on Saturday from 1.5p per minute to 7.51p.

What do other people think?  I can't believe that no one else on here who isn't already fuming about this even though I know that most of us do not use BT to make our calls.  But despite this it is obvious that say TalkTalk and Onetel will follow suit so that in due course our own free offpeak calls period will be reduced.

What do the rest of you think?  Am I just a voice in the wilderness on all this?
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:13pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Re: BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday Peak Pe
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:13pm

NGM

Flattery will get you everwhere and apologies accepted.

The fact is that Ofcom are pretty useless, as indeed are all the "Ofquangos" of this goverment.

You will not get anywhere by knocking them because they are so unbelievably thick skinned that anything we say or do will fall on deaf ears.

How about a new tactic, I have heard a lot about 18866 just recently, I had never heard of it till I came to this forum.

Why don't we give the maximum exposure to them?

My website is only visited by around 30 people a day but I am sure that if we pooled resources we could make some sort of impact?

In the meantime I need to know some more about them?

J

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday Peak Pe
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2005 at 10:27pm

Quote:
NGM
How about a new tactic, I have heard a lot about 18866 just recently, I had never heard of it till I came to this forum.

Why don't we give the maximum exposure to them?

My website is only visited by around 30 people a day but I am sure that if we pooled resources we could make some sort of impact?

In the meantime I need to know some more about them?

All there is to be known about them is as follows:-

Their website:-

www.call18866.co.uk

And my recent post about them in the Cheap Call Providers section of this forum, which has so far generated no responses:-

www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?board=cheapcalls;action=display;num=1...

Other than that all we know about them is that they only charge 1p at all times to connect an 01 or 02 geographic call, no matter how long, and have pretty cheap rates of 2p per minute to call major European countries and the USA.  They are no good for 0870 and 0845 calls where they charge more than BT.

But I understand that TalkTalk and Onetel are now offering free 01 and 02 calls in the offpeak (evening and weekend) if you take one of their CPS calling services.  So you will only want to use 18866 from Monday to Friday daytime.  But unless you make more than 1000 Monday to Friday daytime 01 or 02 calls a month then its bound to be cheaper to use them than anything like BT Option 3 or TalkTalk's Talk 3 which charge you a set amount of £10 or more a month, regardless of whether or not you actually manage to make 1000 01 or 02 calls.

But for reasons best known to them call18866 are a small business and only want to grow slowly.  This seems to be because it is riding on the back of spare capacity in an existing medium sized telecoms business.

I have been with them for over a year though and entirely happy with generally very reliable, very cheap and good call quality.  Also totally accurate billing where call charges are available on their website a few seconds after you complete the call.

I hope this helps

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BT Makes Sleeping Time Part of Weekday PeakTim
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:05pm

From what I can see as a consumer, BT are gradually pushing up the price of telecoms. The idea that competition reduces prices has gone out of the window.

I think that it would interesting for a programme like Panarama to investigate not only 0870, but the wider issue of what's actually happened in the telecoms industry.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:29pm

Quote:
From what I can see as a consumer, BT are gradually pushing up the price of telecoms. The idea that competition reduces prices has gone out of the window.

Overall the cost of geographic uk calls has gone through the floor but BT has tried to recoup nearly all of this by switching 30 to 40% of day time calls on to non geographic 084x/087x

And of course there is the small matter of the BT line rental.  That's £31.50 per quarter (if you use DD) plus £10.50 for 2 or more network services (most of us have Caller Display and Call Waiting at least) = £42 x 4 quarters = £168 just to have that old thin copper wire connected.  That's before it gets a broadband connection for at least another £15 a month on top.  Of which BT Wholesale again receive the lion's share unless you are in an LLU area.

Bearing in mind just how low standing charges are for something like metered water (£10 for each 6 month period) the BT line rental is little short of a national disgrace, especially as they block all competition on this by selling wholesale line rental to their rivals at almost the same price as the retail price to their own customers.

I personally would welcome the bankruptcy of BT and its replacement with a gas or electricity type competition situation.  Unfortunately BT still does not even begin to comprehend the meaning of the words "free market" or "competition"  But then so far as I can tell nor does Ofcom.  It only understands "out of touch" (aka "light touch")
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:39pm

Quote:
Overall the cost of geographic uk calls has gone through the floor but BT has tried to recoup nearly all of this by switching 30 to 40% of day time calls on to non geographic 084x/087x

BT Also recoup some of this by providing BT 1571 for 'free' to the subscriber and then charge (minimum charge) the caller even when they don't want to leave a message! Of course the mobile providers have been doing this for years.

Then, with the latest BT Together it costs 0.5p more! Ofcourse, as I'm sure you will quickly state, NGM, people on 18866 will pay only 1p. Whilst this is true:-
1. The majority of people are making calls with BT.
2. People on 18866 are still paying 1p more than if the call hadn't been answered.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 3:06pm

Quote:
BT Also recoup some of this by providing BT 1571 for 'free' to the subscriber and then charge (minimum charge) the caller even when they don't want to leave a message! Of course the mobile providers have been doing this for years.

Well spotted Dave.  I am normally fully on top of all of BT's finest ripoffs but I must confess that even I missed this "wolf dressed up in sheep's clothing".

I did actually have 1571 on this line before BT were finally gracious enough to get round to enabling this prosperous rural Surrey exchange with 1900 lines, only 15 miles south of the M25 for broadband, at the start of June last year.  But I mainly only used 1571 to intercept calls when I was on the internet and my anwerphone took the calls if I was out (answered after fewer rings than BT 1571). 

I have now had 1571 disabled though as I couldn't get calls off it remotely when I was away, whereas I can with my digital answerphone.  And sometimes I would also manually turn off my digital answerphone so as to receive a "free" (part of the Network services ripoff) morning reminder alarm call.  I could still turn on my digital answer machine remotely by ringing 20 times in those circumstances but not if 1571 answered after 7 rings.

But if BT is quite as cunning as you say then surely they would have turned on 1571 by default and only provided a customer option to turn it off.  Or is this one instance where Kip Meek and his bros at Ofcom were actually awake and not out on the town for another slap up lunch (as they clearly must have been over the 6am to 8am peak period scam)?

What do you think BT's main motivation has been on the 6am to 8am change to peak period?  I can't believe its worth  much money in relation to the potential wrath incurred so I can only believe its a toe in the water to see if Ofcom or Parliament/Ministers try and stop them.  And as they haven't I bet BT will be back fairly soon for the far more lucrative extension in peak hours from 6pm to 8pm.  They will justify this on the basis that lots of shops are still open at this time.  And don't forget that doesn't just turn 5.5p for the call into 3p per minute but it also shoves up the 0870 rate from 3.75p per minute to 7.5p.

The whole telecoms business is built on making competition incomprehensible for the consumer like the whole 118 diretcory enquiries scam that our useless and incompetent friends at Ofcom agreed to (how can anyone be allowed to charge customers on other than a per number found basis).

To get proper competition we need all revenue share 08 and 09 calls abolished (and I do mean incuding 0800 which is a ripoff for those receiving the calls), a common set of peak and off peak hours for all telecoms cos, only one call price tariff band per foreign country (no mobile surcharge) and then just competition on these basic prices and line rental charges.  So far as I can tell BT has also invented the complex call charges situation to take some of the heat off competition in the line rental price?

Just my two penny worth.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:21pm

Quote:
To get proper competition we need all revenue share 08 and 09 calls abolished (and I do mean incuding 0800 which is a ripoff for those receiving the calls), ....

Of course, what is the point in 070 numbers, some of which cost up to 47.5p/min at all times! They are presumably to allow them to be pointed at a mobile in the same way the current 084 and 087 numbers are to a geographical number. But it is the telco providing the number which benefits.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:51pm

Quote:
Of course, what is the point in 070 numbers, some of which cost up to 47.5p/min at all times! They are presumably to allow them to be pointed at a mobile in the same way the current 084 and 087 numbers are to a geographical number. But it is the telco providing the number which benefits.

Dave,

Let me clarify.  All revenue sharing numbers should be banned regardless of the numeric prefix code.

It would however be useful to retain a freephone 0800 facility, providing that the companies receiving the calls only have to pay the usual geographic rate charged by their telecoms supplier and not a premium NGN rate (as is presently the case).

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:57pm

Quote:
To get proper competition we need all revenue share 08 and 09 calls abolished (and I do mean incuding 0800 which is a ripoff for those receiving the calls), a common set of peak and off peak hours for all telecoms cos, only one call price tariff band per foreign country (no mobile surcharge) and then just competition on these basic prices and line rental charges.

I don't agree with abolishing 0800 numbers. If a company wants to provide this facility for their customers, it's most welcome (it makes it slightly less annoying when you end up held in a queue). The energy company I use has an 0800 number, as does my credit card company. Some providers only charge 2p/min for 0800 numbers - less than the cost of BT daytime calls.

I don't agree with common on/off peak hours, international call costs etc. either. In a market with true competition, providers should be able to call what they like. The problem with 0870 numbers is companies can't include them in any special inclusive deals as they have to provide the shared revenue over which they have no control.

If people object to BT's new definition of "peak" hours, perhaps now is the time to change to a provider with a more favourable definition!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 5:06pm

Quote:
I don't agree with common on/off peak hours, international call costs etc. either. In a market with true competition, providers should be able to call what they like

That was the Ofcom argument with allowing a charging free for all (by connection, by length of call or a mixture of the two) on 118 directory services but you only have to look at the actual outcome to see that the actual competition should only have been on the cost per actual number looked up.  Allowing the directory enquiry companies to earn more money from their own inefficiency is just plain wrong.  The same principle as with 084x and 087x.

Perhaps there does have to be a different international rate for mobile compared to fixed line calls for each country but that other rate had better be as prominently stated as the fixed line calling rate.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 5:13pm

Quote:
Dave,

Let me clarify.  All revenue sharing numbers should be banned regardless of the numeric prefix code.

I don't see the problem withe idea of having 'premium' numbers, providing we have:
  • All revenue sharing numbers confined to one clear prefix: 09.
  • All premium service providers must show pricing information for their service. They don't have to at the moment according to the ICSTIS guidlines.
  • Pricing is shown as "premium plus a standard network charge", as is the case with premium text messages. That way the pricing information will apply to all providers and not just from a BT line. It will also mean that providers can't just charge far more than the BT price.
  • Providers bar premium calls by default, thus it is on an opt-in basis. This would stop service providers taking advantage of those who may not be aware of the cost implications, particularly the elderly.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 5:27pm

Quote:
I don't see the problem withe idea of having 'premium' numbers, providing we have

Dave,

In theory I agree with you and at the time of my Ofcom submission on NTS I was minded your way regarding 09 numbers.

But unless Ofcom/ICSTIS changes the current 09 payments system so that companies breaching TPS rules and operating from overseas cannot use them then in practice they seem to be a charter for organised crime.  And surely anyone who wants an adult service is going to get far better value for money looking for it on the internet?  I mean £90 per hour or whatever for a virtual voice sex service - its a bit pricey isn't it?  I know that £90 an hour for a lawyer's advice would of course be a bargain.

The problem here comes from the fact that the telephone bill payer can't set up a PIN code number that stops other members of his/her household dialling these 09 numbers without his/her permission.  The same thing applies to the scam internet diallers.  I have always managed to avoid these allegedly self installing and I bet that if you go into it the person who says yes to allowing them is nearly always some spotty faced teenage member of the household, who is not the billpayer.

So 09 numbers could be ok if there were strong controls that meant they only happened with the bill payers specific agreement and if there is also a 30 day delay in payment transfers from the uk TCP to the actual service provider, thus stopping the nuisance call prizeline scams operating from overseas.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 1:05pm

Just note to say thanks for the info. NGM.

Was away yesterday.

My wife has an account with OneTel, totally useless for 0870, but it saves her a fortune nevertheless.

They are a very good company to deal with and Directory Enq. is free.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 1:29pm

Quote:
My wife has an account with OneTel, totally useless for 0870, but it saves her a fortune nevertheless.

They are a very good company to deal with and Directory Enq. is free.

Juby,

For cheap 0870 calls www.3utelecom.co.uk are the people who you need to register with.  They only charge 2p per minute - in the weekday peak - it just makes another indirect prefix number available on your line, that you can dial for these numbers.

They somehow seem to have found a way to do it from their German base by no doubt routing over voip and then back through conventional telephony from a country somewhere in the world where uk 0870 numbers aren't split out for charging separately from other uk numbers.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2005 at 1:30pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge