Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Election campaigns (Read 5,186 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Election campaigns
Apr 5th, 2005 at 8:15pm

Well, as you all know Tony Blair has just called the general election, and this evening, after I get off the phone I get one of those recorded messages.

No, it's not that I've won a competition and I should phone 0906 numbers to claim my prize.

It is a recording of Michael Howard, which was clever to kick in on the beep of the 1571, saying that he is contacting people as part of his campaign, and to remind them to use their vote wisely, and a few other bits and bobs which I can't remember.

However they also stated that if I didn't wish to hear any more recorded messages from him again, I should phone 08454049455 if I wish to get my name removed!!

Not a very good start to Conservative campaign.  If his campaigning team are trying to get every vote possible, then surely they want to be telephone friendly, and they would use an 0800 number.

The political parties have enough issues to lose votes over.  Alienating voters with NGNs is an unnecessary waste of potiential votes.

Let's see if any of the other parties try the same stunt.

Also, something for everyone on this forum.  When we get canvassed for our votes, then we can let our views on 0870 numbers be known to any campaigners.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2005 at 8:17pm by Shiggaddi »  

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: Election campaigns
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2005 at 11:22pm

Indeed we shall!

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 3:42pm

And further to my previous post, anybody who lives in an area where the local GP has switched over to NGNs, should especially be mentioning this to the campaigners.

Also, Paul Tyler who is MP for North Cornwall has been mentioned on this board as being one of the few that take this issue seriously.  I'm in his neighbouring constituency.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 4:02pm

Excuse my cynicism, especially from so far away, but could the calling of an election have anything to do with the sudden reply received this morning from the Department of Health?

Quote:
Our ref: DE6010185

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

Thank you for your further email of 8 March to the Department of Health about the charges for telephone systems for NHS GP services.

In your letter, you raise several points about 0844 numbers.  The Government shares your concerns about the cost of these numbers.  The Office of Communications (OFCOM) is currently reviewing the use of these numbers as part of a consultation on the future of all number translation services.  The result of the consultation will be published in the summer
and we will be considering what further action to take on the use of 0844 numbers in the light of this.

Yours sincerely,

William Frost
Customer Service Centre
Department of Health

Well, I suppose at least they are beginning to realise the hornet's nest they have stirred up!

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2005 at 5:31pm

In your letter, you raise several points about 0844 numbers.  The Government shares your concerns about the cost of these numbers.  The Office of Communications (OFCOM) is currently reviewing the use of these numbers as part of a consultation on the future of all number translation services.  The result of the consultation will be published in the summer
and we will be considering what further action to take on the use of 0844 numbers in the light of this.

And of course, come the summer, and when Tony Blair has his feet under the table for another few years, the government might continue with 0844.

Typical political reply, saying that they're looking into it, and taking the issue seriously, but won't commit to a result quite yet, until the votes have been counted!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge