Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Send Topic Print
London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number (Read 331,012 times)
Gazzer

Don't be shafted by 0870.

Re: London Blasts - Using 0870 as Emergency Number
Reply #300 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 5:16am

The guardian online are still advertising the rip-off 0870 number on the front page of their website at http://www.guardian.co.uk/

I have written to their editor.

It's an uphill struggle this.

IP Logged

bigjohn
Supreme Member

Reply #301 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 6:05am

Quote:
 Not even, or possibly especially, their own customer services staff.

How true especially on cost of calls to 0844 numbers.I contacted 02 online customer service about them and there first response was there is no such code on my database do you mean 0845.After a bit of pushing they confirmed they were charged the same as 0845/0870.

On Virgin Payg ,in there up to date literature they still continue  to describe 0845 as Local Toll Rate Numbers 10p a min,and 0870 as National Toll Rate Numbers 15p a min.But funny enough both 0844 and 0871 are also classed by them as National Toll Rate Numbers and are also charged at 15p a minute.

Its time for for Telecom call providers both landline and mobile to be upfront about the cost of calls to NGN.I notice that Onetel have sneakily increased the cost of calls to 0844 by 10% in the last couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2005 at 6:19am by bigjohn »  

BJ.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #302 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 9:55am

For those (like I did) that jumped straight to this thread may want to read a new thread started by idb here as David Derbyshire from the Telegraph has done a more indepth story on the governments increasing use of 0870 numbers.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #303 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 10:25am

BT said: "We would like these numbers swept away.", David Derbyshire

So why did BT invent them, persuade the gutless non consumer oriented morons ot OFTEL to allow them and then spend so many years converting  most major business call centres over to using them.

Me thinks that man from BT speaks with forked tongue!

Derbyshire has still missed the main point of the outrageous call costs from most mobile phones and BT Payphones and not being able to call these numbers either at all or only at massive premiums from overseas.  Also he misses the point about BT Options 3 and other inclusive calling plans and ending up with another 50 quid on your quartely phone bill as a result.

I'm not sure why idb started a new thread for this.  He should have made his post about the new article in this thread.

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #304 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 10:57am

I think that David Derbyshire has done us proud considering who he works for, he may have missed a few items but I agree with idb, it is a good article.

juby
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2005 at 2:31pm by juby »  
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #305 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 1:35pm

Quote:
I think that David Derbyshire has done us proud considering who he works for, he may have missed a few items but I agree with bbb_uk, it is a good article.

I would still like David Derbyshire to concentrate on these other missing facts about 0870 numbers in next week's consumer section of the Telegraph.

Press coverage at this time is vital to force Ofcom to scrap revenue share on these numbers, instead of merely tinkering with the current corrupt system as they seem to be thinking of doing.

IP Logged

bendipa

Reply #306 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 2:54pm

Quote:
Arun Sarin is no  longer with Vodafone and has been replaced by Tim Miles.

Really? This hasn't been reported in any of the financial press including the FT.  It's certainly news to me.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #307 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 3:04pm

Quote:
Really? This hasn't been reported in any of the financial press including the FT.  It's certainly news to me.

My misassumption.  None of us can be right all the time.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #308 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 6:33pm

The Red Cross put an advert in The Times today (and possibly other papers?).

They list an 0845 number for folks to call who need help/counciling etc... over the London bombings.

They then list a 020 number underneath for "callers from abroad". But this is listed as: 00 44 (0) 20 7xxx xxxx DOH! "00" is NOT a universal prefix for international dialing as I'm sure you all know. And why put the "(0)" in if people are calling from abroad.

Shocking that people will be calling the 0845 number unaware of how much it might cost them.

This is why I NEVER give money to charities.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2005 at 6:34pm by PeDaSp »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #309 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 6:56pm

There was an advert for the Red Cross's aid efforts in Africa on television today (unfortunately don't remember which channel) that quoted an 0800 number to call.

Unless the Red Cross has had a rapid about face and a rapid reproduction of its tv adverts I can only assume that raising aid for Africa is a higher priority for them than raising aid for the London bombings!

At least I can't think of any other reason for giving an 0800 number on one aid appeal and an 0870 number on another! Roll Eyes Undecided

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #310 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 7:02pm

Yes, I saw the advert as well.  It may have been transmitted around several channels, but I saw it on the Sky Travel Channel.

It's appeal was to donate £2 per month to help charities in Africa, and used a freephone number.

So then, Whats wrong with using 0800 to help London bomb blast victims.

Double standards I think.  It might be worth sending them an e-mail asking why they are doing this.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #311 - Jul 16th, 2005 at 7:07pm

Quote:
It might be worth sending them an e-mail asking why they are doing this.

"0870 for London Bombings Appeal vs 0800 for African Aid Appeal" seems like a promising subject for an email to their chief executive and head of fundraising."

I expect its another of those dodgy deals with Cable & Wireless (like the one the BBC have) where they are allowed some 0800 calls for free if most of their callers have to call in on 0870.

Still disgusting though that they clearly consider the London bombings to be less important that donations for Africa.

Don't give your hard earned cash to the Red Cross.

IP Logged

Martin_S

Reply #312 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 7:16pm

I've receieved a copy of the Stephen Rimmer email in the post today from the Home Office. Its encouraging but they are still taking the 'we made no money' line

IP Logged

bill

Reply #313 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 8:23pm

A politician's or civil servant's interpretation of 'making money' is different to the way us plebs understand it.

Because they are not a business, any 'receipts' are ploughed back into 'the organisation' and hence, with a little bit of creative accounting (they've learned how to do that in recent years), can be made to simply disappear.

Hence, they actually believe their own "We made no money" statements.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #314 - Jul 18th, 2005 at 9:43pm

Reply to Mr Rimmer pointing out how their attempts to dishonestly avoid paying Cable & Wireless the correct commerical fee for running the emergency call centre means that mobile phone users now have to pay up to £30 an hour to call the 0870 emergency casualty number.  Of this £30 per hour Cable & Wireless earns a maximum £3 per hour but the worst rip off mobile operators then scam their customers for another £27 an hour.

By its own total ineptitude the Home Office has allowed an essential emergncy number to be turned into a racketeering extortion line number no differnt in character from an 0906 sex chat line number from the point of view of the ever greedy and grasping mobile phone operators.

This is a public disgrace.  Wite to your MP and to Ms Hazel Blears and Mr Charles Clarke at the Home Office today to complain about the lies being told by Mr Rimmer and his cronies on the Pito board.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge