Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 512,057 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #270 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 9:03pm

pw4 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 12:15am:
To the best of my knowledge the charge is quoted with the numbers in all literature and web pages (though a larger font wouldn't go amiss) and is quoted as part of the long recorded message at the beginning of inbound calls.
Well unless it's changed but last time I called a 07 PNS number there was NO price indication at all.

Going by Patientline (I can't comment on other providers) I agree they do publish the cost of the calls on the little credit size type cards available at the hospitals but it is small print (as you pointed out) and I believe that it would be very easily for an older person to just read the 07xx number out without even thinking of reading the cost of the call out (whether they could see it or not).  Whereas had Patientline used a 09x number then most (if not all consumers) are aware these calls are expensive and that revenue sharing is in operation and more importingly that the cost of the calls has to be announced at the beginning of the call and things like call queuing, etc are not allowed.

Patientline using their 07x number have bypassed all the safeguards that an 09x number would bring us (including clearer price transparancy).  As mentioned in previous posts, Patientline have technically broken all rules with regard to using 07x numbers.  The main one is that 07 PNS numbers are not meant to have revenue sharing in operation and the revenue sharing is passed to the telecom company that provided the number to allow free transfer of calls from one location to another at the request of their customers (the end-users).

Now Patientline have purposely gone out of their way by becoming a 07 reseller so they could purposely collect the revenue sharing from it which would not be possible if they used normal methods of using an 07 number (ie an end-user like you and I would).  This is obviously deceitful and ofcom's lack of authority in this case just confirms how useful ofcom actually are in enforcing regulations currently in place.

As mentioned in a previous post by me, if Patientline weren't out to be deceitful then why have they gone well out of their way to use a 07 PNS number and not a 09x number (even an 09x that cost the same as the current rate of the 07 PNS number)?  Simple.  To avoid the high consumer/patient knowledge that 09x are premium rate and to avoid all the consumer protection guidelines in place for 09x numbers.

Instead they have gone out of their way to become a PNS reseller and therefore use numbers and gain revenue from it just as a PNS reseller are allowed to do whereas a normal PNS end-user customer (ie me) would not gain any revenue from the call.  A 07 PNS reseller are only allowed to gain revenue so as to provide a free facility of diverting the 07 number to multiple locations at either no cost or a low cost to the end-user and hence the reason why a normal user of an 07 PNS number cannot gain any revenue.

This to me leads me to question just how honest Patientline (and other similar providers) actually are!

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #271 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 2:06pm

Have recently found this (also mentioned in another context in the thread on "Stop special fax offers: Ring 070..."):
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:_MI6zW3fFREJ:www.icstis.org.uk/pdfs_news/IMR8...
which is an ICSTIS Bulletin from March 2001:

Quote:
ICSTIS AND OFTEL ACT AGAINST SERVICES ON 070 DIALLING CODES
ICSTIS and Oftel have recently become very concerned by the noticeable increase in
public complaints and other enquiries about
services operating on 070 dialling codes
which have all the characteristics of premium rate services
(i.e. revenue share, value added
content and charged to a telephone bill).

Oftel has recently issued for consultation revisions to the National Numbering
Conventions (the Conventions). Within this consultation document,
Oftel makes
clear that the 070 numbering range is only suitable for customers who habitually
move location
. For the avoidance of doubt, the 070 numbering range must not be used
for services which fall within the definition of premium rate services (described
elsewhere within the Conventions).
ICSTIS, working with Oftel, is in the process of contacting networks which
appear to be carrying services on 070 dialling codes in breach of the
Conventions. It is hoped that networks will willingly comply with their licence
obligations, but in any event
ICSTIS will take regulatory action against service
providers operating on 070 dialling codes
and will commence enforcement from
Monday 2 April 2001.

So have ICSTIS and Ofcom officially changed the rules since that advice was published?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #272 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 3:03pm

Yes our friends David Currie and Stephen Carter at Ofcom seem to have shown that they can lean on senior staff further down the organisation to not do anything to inconvenience the finances or policies of the government which appointed them to their jobs.  I am sure the same thing will happen over 084/7.

Ofcom's signing off of Patientline's continued use of 070 so long as they make them direct dial to the patient bedside is nothing short of shameful.

070 numbers are meant to be numbers you can keep for life and redirect wherever you want (the number should even be portable from one PNS provider to another if you aren't getting a good deal with the current one), whereas a Patientline 070 is just a number that Patientline assigns to you while you are in hospital.  So far as I am aware you cannot take it away with you after you leave hospital and continue to use it to direct calls to any uk or overseas landline or mobile of your choice.  Yet at the rates charged by Patientline that is certainly what you should expect to be able to do and in fact the k PNS rate which provides all such facilities is significantly cheaper than Patientline, especially at the weekend when it costs less than one third the Patientline weekend rate. Angry

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #273 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 11:39pm

Quote:
For someone who claims to just be a hospital radio man you do seem to have a remarkable sympathy for the Patientline business case.  Are you sure you don't also wear the hat of being Patientline director and/or major shareholder?

Just checked - still no other hat. If I was a major sharehoolder I'd be Legel & General, or one of the others! (For the avoidance of doubt - I'm not even the most minor shareholder).
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2006 at 11:45pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #274 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:06am

Dave wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:03am:
Going back to this "get 1 hour free", how can you 'buy' 23 hours and then get 1 hour free? That would be the same as buying 24 hours, would it not?  Roll Eyes

Well, quite - there seems to be no difference. Unless perhaps to explain the apparent contradiction in trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:45pm:
Quote:
Patientline's national pricing policy is £3.50 a day for TV, ...
All patients can enjoy 1 hour of free television each day ...

Quote:
Oh, and are these 24 (or 23) consecutive hours? So in reality this is only of full benefit to insomniacs?
They are consecutive. Originally, TV was charged per hour. This was abandoned - ironically in view of the question - because patients often doze off with the TV on, and their credit used to get used up hour by hour whilst they were asleep.

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #275 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:33am

trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:45pm:
What isn't clear is:
  • when "a day" starts: is it a calendar day (midnight to midnight), which makes it a bit rough on people who only want to watch for, say 1.5 - 2 hours in the evening, especially if they have only just been admitted or come round from an operation; or is it 23/24h from when you pays your money?

Neither. My understanding of how it works is this.
The system differs slightly between 'Terminal 1' and 'Terminal 2' systems. With the latter, a single card is purchased with credit for TV, phone, movies, games, and internet.
With the older 'Terminal 1' systems, the TV, phone, and movie cards are separate, and TV cards for 1, 3, 5, or 7 days cost £3.50, £10, £15, or £20 respectively. Payment can alternatively be made by credit/debit card (through calling an 0800 number), in which case the terminal is credited and no card is required.
With 'Terminal 1', when the patient selects 'TV', the picture is obscured by a message, which, if a TV card with credit is inserted (or the terminal has credit/debit card credit), tells the patient that to watch TV for the following 24 hours they must press the 'pay' button, which consumes 1 day of their credit, and the picture is displayed. They will need to press the 'pay' button again if the TV is on at the end of that 24 hour period, or the next time they select 'TV', in which the next 24 period starts then. In other words the credit is consumed in 24 hour chunks by pressing the 'pay' button.
I am not familiar with 'Terminal 2', except that credit on one 'universal' card is consumed at the relevant rate by selecting or using using the various services.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2006 at 11:12pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #276 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:38am

Surely in the public wards they don't let people watch Patientline tv 24 hours a day do they?  Isn't there an enforced night period where the tv screen service isn't available so it doesn't keep other nearby patients awake?  I suppose the radio service could be 24 hours as long as people used headphones.  Also isn't the real truth on the free hour of tv that the only free hour is the one free hour in the morning that everyone gets free and no one pays for as that hour is not an hour of chargeable service?

Lastly when Patientlne used to charge by the hour how much per hour did they used to charge?

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #277 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:43am

Quote:
From what I have gathered the Patientline tvs are all forcibly turned on in the morning when everyone wakes up for the one free hour of viewing ...

I think that's a myth - but I'll check when I'm there.

Quote:
If you do pay then it is forcibly turned on for the whole of the rest of the day and the only choice you have is about which channel it is on.

Pressing the 'TV' button turns it off.

Quote:
But as most people aren't desperate to watch Breakfast TV the idead that its free is all somewhat academic.

"All patients can enjoy ... " and "breakfast TV" do seem somewhat contradictory to me.

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #278 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 1:01am

trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 12:56am:
But who initially proposed using a PNS number (which could co-incidentally be confused with a mobile number) - was it initially Patientline's or another service provider's request, or did Ofcom initiate the idea?

Don't know, but Patientline's, I would imagine.

Quote:
I accept that Ofcom approved this usage, but did Patientline or another service provider ask for it (with the possible confusion in mind)?

Again; don't know, or even whether they asked first or the usage was approved in retrospect.

Quote:
And, also I can't currently find it (and need to go to bed) I have a recollection of reading that some of the alternative service providers do use 087x numbers, which would suggest the choice of 070 was Patientline's not Ofcom's.

I don't doubt it was Patientline's choice. I can find no information about Patientpal, but the other two companies both appear to use 070, except in the case of one hospital in Scotland which is 09111.

Quote:
So you're paying to listen to a long message telling you how expensive the call is - thus making it even more expensive - and, of course, by then you've already incurred, say, 50p - £1 of cost before you can even decide whether you're prepared to pay that much for the call!

Yes. Telling you the cost and much else presumably. And that was part of Ofcom's investigation.

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #279 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 1:09am

trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 2:34pm:
Ditto - and I hope neither you nor I have to, especially if your 'local' hospital is the same as mine, namely the poorly rated and much publicised East Surrey Hospital at Redhill. Cry

Patientline terminals were installed in (I think) two wards. I have heard that the service is no longer supported and that no Patientline staff visit the site, so there is no phone service, and no TV or radio on any terminal that has stopped working or its PC needs rebooting.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #280 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:09am

pw4 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 1:09am:
I have heard that the service is no longer supported and that no Patientline staff visit the site, so there is no phone service, and no TV or radio on any terminal that has stopped working or its PC needs rebooting.

So no patient ripoffs are any longer taking place at Redhill then it seems? Wink Roll Eyes

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Reply #281 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 9:39am

Quote:
So no patient ripoffs are any longer taking place at Redhill then it seems? Wink Roll Eyes

At least not as regards TV & telephone apparently.
But as regards medical services .... and even security ... I think that's another story!  Smiley

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #282 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Quote:
Surely in the public wards they don't let people watch Patientline tv 24 hours a day do they?  Isn't there an enforced night period where the tv screen service isn't available so it doesn't keep other nearby patients awake?...
In our local hospital anyhow the TV's can be watched 24/7 if the patient wants to.  The reason for this is that you can only listen to the TV/radio with the headphones on so therefore other patients are not able to hear your TV/radio.

The 24 hours starts from the time you start your TV by pressing 'buy' as mentioned by pw4.  In other words if at 18:00 I press the buy button obviously after buying their rip-off cards then at 18:00 the following day the TV will switch off again until you press buy again.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #283 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:25pm

pw4 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:06am:
Dave wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:03am:
Going back to this "get 1 hour free", how can you 'buy' 23 hours and then get 1 hour free? That would be the same as buying 24 hours, would it not?  Roll Eyes

Well, quite - there seems to be no difference. Unless perhaps to explain the apparent contradiction in trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:45pm:
Quote:
Patientline's national pricing policy is £3.50 a day for TV, ...
All patients can enjoy 1 hour of free television each day ...

Indeed, the only way all patients can have 1 hour's worth of free TV is if they could have it at any time. So one 'buys' 24 hours and then has 1 hour free and then purchases another 24 hours. So how can they claim all patients can have the free hour?  Undecided

pw4 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:06am:
Quote:
Oh, and are these 24 (or 23) consecutive hours? So in reality this is only of full benefit to insomniacs?
They are consecutive. Originally, TV was charged per hour. This was abandoned - ironically in view of the question - because patients often doze off with the TV on, and their credit used to get used up hour by hour whilst they were asleep.

Rubbish! Even if the patient actually turns the TV off, they are still charged, are they not?

Why not have a feature whereby the patient has to press a button every hour to keep the TV on? That would save their credit should they fall asleep and then they wouldn't have to use up 24 hours' credit when they only really want to watch a few hours' worth.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2006 at 8:29pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #284 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 12:21am

trevord wrote on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 1:45pm:
What isn't clear is:
  • whether the timing of the 'free hour' is resticted, e.g. to Breakfast TV as suggested in an earlier message

8am - 9am

pw4 wrote on Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:43am:
Quote:
From what I have gathered the Patientline tvs are all forcibly turned on in the morning when everyone wakes up for the one free hour of viewing ...

I think that's a myth - but I'll check when I'm there.

Your information is correct, I was wrong. The TVs do come on at 8am. But the patients can turn them off.

Quote:
Surely in the public wards they don't let people watch Patientline tv 24 hours a day do they?  Isn't there an enforced night period where the tv screen service isn't available so it doesn't keep other nearby patients awake?  I suppose the radio service could be 24 hours as long as people used headphones.

In general the TVs can be used 24 hours a day. The loudspeakers are switched off at night so headphones have to be used during that period whether for radio or TV, and inbound phone calls go straight to voicemail. However, the hospital has the option on a ward by ward basis of the TVs being turned off at night, or even (I believe) specific terminals. Typically, TVs in children's wards are switched off automatically for the night.

Quote:
Lastly when Patientlne used to charge by the hour how much per hour did they used to charge?

Sorry, I can't remember. (I've only been visiting wards in a hospital equipped with Patientline since after they changed to per day charging).
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2006 at 11:23pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge