Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 512,152 times)
NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #450 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 9:43pm

jimjim wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 9:34pm:
NGM, I have no sympathy for Patientline, just being sarcastic.  My Mum was recently in hospital as well, but at least they let her use a mobile in the TV room next to the ward.  Was also given the ward telephone number so I could ring up and get updated on her condition.   She was in hospital for about two weeks and never used Patientline, after an earlier stay in hospital this year which cost her and me a fair few pounds in exorbitant fees.

Obviously Patientline was set up on a hugely incompetent basis with vastly over expensive bedside terminals the features of which have never been fully used.

But it is just outrageous that the NHS ever agreed to incoming and outgoing call costs this high and it shows the totally out of touch nature of their mega paid directors that they did so.

Until my Mum recently nearly going under the knife on about 40 minutes notice the outrageousness of Patientline was just a theory that I knew I objected to when I saw what it meant for others.  But when my own Mum was in danger of being wheeled off to surgery herself within the hour and I was actually given the 49p a minute number as the official way to contact her on the ward by the Sister the nature of the blackmail and the cynicism involved in this kind of call charge to patients and/or their relatives struck home even more heavily.

All of the directors of Patientline most be totally ruthless commercial - who have no interest in their lives other than making money and no morals and no conscience.  Had they a conscience they would have gone on television long ago to criticise the New Labour government for failing to buy them out of this wholly deplorable deal. Angry Angry Angry Smiley Smiley Smiley

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #451 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:38pm

Looks like PTL is going bust, and not a moment too soon. What a sad indictment that there are people wishing that this wretched company goes out of business, however it could have taken action earlier and stop the rip-off. I guess greed followed greed followed greed. Plenty of media reports today.

http://www.hemscott.com/news/comment-archive/item.do?id=29483

<<
Patientline reports a pretax loss from continuing operations of £32m, split equally between an operating loss and exceptional items, in the year to 30 March. The underlying loss has shot up from £10.4m to £15.1m.

The figures look pretty sickly despite extensive restructuring over the past 12 months and the company admits that it still needs to get borrowings down to a sustainable level.

Chairman Geoff White claims Patientline has a clear strategy after closing its loss making US operations and raising £7.5m from selling the Continental Europe arm. It has also withdrawn from loss making hospitals in the UK.

However, we feel it is ominous that revenue per terminal per day declined by 6.4% to only £1.62, continuing a three-year slide from £1.97 in 2004.
[...]

We really don’t see how Patientline can get out of this mess despite the best endeavours to turn the company round. Neither does the stock market, where Patientline’s sickly shares slipped another 1.125p to 2.375p this morning.

>>
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:39pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #452 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:06am

I think Mr Derek Lewis must have though that patients were the same as prisoners and thus could be pushed around and abused in just the same way.

Fortunately he failed to factor in the mobile phone revolution and it is this which has principally destabilised Patientline's disgraceful ripoff monopoly phone charges model.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #453 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:08am

idb wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:38pm:
It has also withdrawn from loss making hospitals in the UK.

So what has happened in respect of bedside phone and tv services and the existing equipment supporting them in those hospitals exactly?
Huh Undecided

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #454 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 3:52pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 8:48pm:
  I was about to weaken and shell out £30 to Patientline

NGMsGhost, I never thought you would have those kind of thoughts  Grin  wash your mouth out  Grin

It would probably have been cheaper for you to get a taxi there and back.

Hope your mother gets better

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #455 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:06pm

derrick wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 3:52pm:
NGMsGhost, I never thought you would have those kind of thoughts  Grin  wash your mouth out  Grin

It would probably have been cheaper for you to get a taxi there and back.

Derrick,

It is all very well for you to sit there and theorise on your high horse of principle from the comfort of not being immediately in this position but when I get a call out of the blue first saying hello its mr x from the local NHS hospital and did I know my mother was going in there to see them today only for them to then thankfully put my mother on the line  (so presumably the call was made on a member of staff's phone and thus avoiding Patientline) and so having then already having had a near heart attack wondering why some man from an NHS hospital and not mother was unexpectedly calling me when I then also find that she might be going in to theatre in an hour for an operation under general anaesthetic and I have to also look up the operation they are proposing on the internet and also alternative private treatments for the same condition the fact that the call might cost £30 is not at the top of your list of priorities.  Instead you are worried your Mother might die under the anaesthetic at the age of 72 due to some adverse reaction or other or more likely that she might develop some terrible MSRA infection afterwards due to the backwards 1970s technology still being used by the NHS for such more complex wrist ops.

So knowing as you do how I especially hate being ripped off over phone calls when you consider that even I felt almost blackmailed to use PatientScam due to the lack of time in a very urgent situation how do you think the average Jo Punter is going to behave when they face the same very worrying situations with their relatives being operated on unexpectedly but are often not aware of PatientScam call charges until it is too late.

The point is that if even I a well known opponent of Patientline and NGN call scams feels blackmailed in to using the service in this situation how do you think the majority of the less informed and less prices conscious members of the public are going to behave? Roll Eyes

All I am saying is that by actually being in the blackmail position of having had to use Patientline it makes me even more aware than I previously was what a disgusting form of blackmail and extortion racket it is and it is incredible that the government allows sick people and their relatives of all things to be exploited by such blatant commercial racketeering.  Can you imagine the fuss from Labour if the Conservatives had allowed such things to happen in NHS hospitals.  But what do we hear from the useless Mr Cameron about such hidden New Labour permitted telecoms scams - absolutely nothing as he is too busy looking for his next eco friendly bicycle. Wink Shocked Cry
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:10pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #456 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:21pm

NGmsGhost,  Hey I  was not having a go! just making light of what could have been a horrible time for you, and only after reading your post and after knowing that your mother seemed to be OK.

Also for some apparent reason these 2 posts of mine are on the wrong thread, they should be on this one:- http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1122290403/435 ; which is where I clicked through to from e-mail notification, so maybe someone could put it on the correct thread and then it might make some sense

Which is the same thread  Roll Eyes I only read the reply to which the e-mail notification took me to, I did not read further on, but having now read further on, my lighthearted comments would have still been made.

Apologies if they upset you, they where not meant to
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:31pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #457 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:39pm

Derrick,

The only point I was trying to make is that the circumstances in which people are blackmailed in to using PatientScam are usually anything but lighthearted.  I do understand you were not trying to upset me but the actual Patientline operation is very upsetting indeed because of who it relies on exploiting and the circumstances in which they are usually most easily and most effectively exploited.

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #458 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:42pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:39pm:
Derrick,

The only point I was trying to make is that the circumstances in which people are blackmailed in to using PatientScam are usually anything but lighthearted.  I do understand you were not trying to upset me but the actual Patientline operation is very upsetting indeed because of who it relies on exploiting and the circumstances in which they are usually most easily and most effectively exploited.

Yep,and I would have thought that you would have known that I also share your views on these bunch of crooks, and would never deem to defend them  Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #459 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:54pm

derrick wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:42pm:
Yep,and I would have thought that you would have known that I also share your views on these bunch of crooks, and would never deem to defend them  Wink

Of course the even bigger crooks are the Directors on the NHS Board who got in to bed with Patientline.

They have no excuse when they are meant to be serving the public interest. Shocked Angry Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #460 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 7:37pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 4:54pm:
Of course the even bigger crooks are the Directors on the NHS Board who got in to bed with Patientline.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

pw4

Reply #461 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:13pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:08am:
idb wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:38pm:
It has also withdrawn from loss making hospitals in the UK.

So what has happened in respect of bedside phone and tv services and the existing equipment supporting them in those hospitals exactly?
Huh Undecided

To the best of my knowledge, Patientline has not yet withdrawn from any hospitals.
The contracts require six months notice of cessation.
There are two hospitals in respect of which I have heard that such notice has been served to the respective Trusts.
I believe that the company has been in discussion with Trusts over nine other hospitals from which service will be withdrawn unless the it is funded to some extent in some form.

I anticipate Patientline removing its equipment from hospitals in respect of which the contract has ceased, and that there will thereafter be no telephone or TV facilities in the wards.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:20pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #462 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:39pm

pw4 wrote on Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:13pm:
I anticipate Patientline removing its equipment from hospitals in respect of which the contract has ceased, and that there will thereafter be no telephone or TV facilities in the wards.

Does that equipment have any serious residual value at this stage compared to the enormous amount of labour involved in removing it and the wasted labour in installing it that is also now lost.

Surely it would be better to sell the assets at a written down price to another operator who does not have the same debt situation as Patientline and so can afford to charge cheaper call and television viewing prices.

Of course you have never revealed how you know so much about Patientline pw4.

<div style=

IP Logged

nanstallon

Falmouth
Reply #463 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:17am

Patientline has been able to exploit sick people and their relatives because NHS senior management is businessminded and doesnt give a stuff about public service.  In Britain, it's all about money, and to hell with common decency.

When I was last in hospital (thankfully a long time ago), a man came around the wards with a trolley and you could phone from that at normal rates.  Of course, in rip-off Britain, technological advances are seldom for the benefit of the consumer but an opportunity for others to get rich quick.  Patientline may be going bust (and let's hope that Britain's slovenly company law doesn't let the directors walk off without meeting the company's debts), but this doesn't mean that telephone and TV facilities can no longer be provided in hospitals.

One important question is whether mobile phones still have to be banned everywhere in hospitals, because of possible interference with medical equipment.  I believe there is a re-think going on about this.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #464 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 9:35am

nanstallon wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:17am:
When I was last in hospital (thankfully a long time ago), a man came around the wards with a trolley and you could phone from that at normal rates.  Of course, in rip-off Britain, technological advances are seldom for the benefit of the consumer but an opportunity for others to get rich quick.  Patientline may be going bust (and let's hope that Britain's slovenly company law doesn't let the directors walk off without meeting the company's debts), but this doesn't mean that telephone and TV facilities can no longer be provided in hospitals.

<sarcasm>Benefit the common man? Oh my no, we couldn't have that now...</sarcasm> Smiley

I hope that the directors have to pay back every penny from their own pocket.

nanstallon wrote on Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:17am:
One important question is whether mobile phones still have to be banned everywhere in hospitals, because of possible interference with medical equipment.  I believe there is a re-think going on about this.

As far as I know, it is presently up to each Trust to decide what the rules are, but really it is only in intensive care where mobiles will remain banned. I think also that they may be banned on wards due to the possibility of people taking photos or doing other intrusive things, but I assume that rules will be in force to prevent this.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 35
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge