Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 
Send Topic Print
NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investigation (Read 510,431 times)
pw4

Re: NHS Patientline 49p per minute Ofcom Investiga
Reply #480 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 1:36am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:39pm:
pw4 wrote on Jun 27th, 2007 at 2:13pm:
I anticipate Patientline removing its equipment from hospitals in respect of which the contract has ceased, and that there will thereafter be no telephone or TV facilities in the wards.

Does that equipment have any serious residual value at this stage compared to the enormous amount of labour involved in removing it and the wasted labour in installing it that is also now lost.

No, I would think it has virtually no value in terms of the balance sheet. But Patientline needs the terminals to replace faulty ones and for spare parts. And I would expect the company to remove control room equipment for spares at other sites and/or for liquidation. The labour cost of removing equipment is much lower than that for installation; most of the latter was for the infrastructure. The Trust has the option of purchasing the cabling from Patientline or can require the company to sell it to an incoming operator.

Quote:
Surely it would be better to sell the assets at a written down price to another operator who does not have the same debt situation as Patientline and so can afford to charge cheaper call and television viewing prices.

Yes, but not better for Patientline. In reality I would not expect any other company to be interested in taking on a Patientline system at any price. The systems are mutually incompatible, the terminals are a proprietary design, no spare parts or replacements would be obtainable, and some are no doubt already unserviceable. They are probably inextricably integrated with the control systems that are run from the call centre and from HQ, which are also proprietary. And there is the small problem of everything being branded 'Patientline', with which they may not wish to be associated.

Quote:
Of course you have never revealed how you know so much about Patientline pw4.

You are aware that I am involved in hospital broadcasting. I have occasional contact in the course if this activity with Patientline employees, and I look at the company's web site and others.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2007 at 1:41am by pw4 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #481 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:15am

pw4 wrote on Jun 30th, 2007 at 1:36am:
You are aware that I am involved in hospital broadcasting. I have occasional contact in the course if this activity with Patientline employees, and I look at the company's web site and others.

To be honest although I do recall the hospital radio man I couldn't be sure if you were him or another person following the Patientline thread.

If your interest in Patientline is only due to your hospital radio role then I find your commitment to following this thread unusual when you do not seem to participate in any of the other 084/7 debates on this site?

It would surely be much more like a Patientline director to want to follow just this thread so assiduously and to also make so many posts supporting and defending the company's position.  And whilst I appreciate you do want people to be able to listen to your hospital radio station it is possible to buy small high quality FM portable radios for £20 or less and a decent FM/DAB radio for around £40 these days.  And surely one of those units is a better long term investment for most hospital patients than money down the tubes with Patientline?

<div style=

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #482 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 8:50pm

I think the real problem with Patientline is the deep seated rorting and the apparent ease with which you Brits can be ripped off. I think someone else here mentioned 'Treasure Island' and it is well known that just about everything is twice as expensive in "Rip-Off Britain" as it is elsewhere. (It is being reported that the iPhone will be about twice the US price when it is released in the UK later this year......) Indeed, the whole concept of this web site appears to be uniquely and peculiarly British. Nowhere else in a first world country could the sharks get away with it with such consummate ease!

I did a quick check on some hospitals in other English speaking counties, and it appears that they all have the same problem. Supplying information services, communications and entertainment isn't seen as a core service. In these days of rising medical costs, that is probably understandable. However, the difference is that elsewhere, the costs are reasonable. I don't think people would mind paying a small premium for the facilities offered. What they don't want to do is be absolutely taken to the cleaners so a bunch of crooked directors (and probably equally crooked NHS directors, who are almost certain to be getting backhanders) can get rich quick. It is only possible because it is a captive market - and just as BT essentially control the NTS system, whenever there is a monopoly, the temptation will be there to fleece the public (and please don't attempt to tell me that BT don't have a monopoly any longer!  Angry)

Public opinion - hopefully - will force a reasonable compromise - eventually. However, for the time being, it looks like mobiles are going to have to be used - whether the hospital trusts like it or not! There again, it would certainly get patients out of the wards more quickly. Now there's an evil thought - maybe that's the intent.......  Grin

It would make the statistics look good for your new Prime Miserabilist......

IP Logged

questa

Reply #483 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:46pm

It's all very interesting this, it seems Patientline is doomed in its present form, with a few months left to live, yet the company is acting like it is just starting out - restructuring, new policies, rebranding, new uniforms etc.  Can't see the units being removed if they collapsed - would be a labour PR disaster, but the service isn't profitable, even without the debt - so what will happen? who knows?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #484 - Jul 8th, 2007 at 2:32pm

questa wrote on Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:46pm:
It's all very interesting this, it seems Patientline is doomed in its present form, with a few months left to live, yet the company is acting like it is just starting out - restructuring, new policies, rebranding, new uniforms etc.

Ever hear of the proverbial Ostritch or of the story of The Emperors New Clothes - I think you will find it is all a rather similar scenario. Wink Roll Eyes

Why should this service make a profit any more than anything else in the NHS makes a profit?

What is needed is for the assets of Patientline to be acquired and operated by the NHS and for the calls to be provided at the lowest possible price to patients that is the same as or as close as possible to normal 01/02 call prices.

Then the NHS's main objective of ensuring their patients can stay in touch with relatives just as well as patients in private hospitals can will be achieved.

The NHS does not expect the cleaning staff in its hospitals to be self financing so why on the earth should the patient telephone system be self financing.  Especially if patient mobile phones are not allowed to be used in hospital for alleged medical safety reasons. Wink Undecided Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #485 - Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:41pm

I noticed today that in the North West, it now costs £2.90 for TV all day and it's down as a special offer.  It used to be £3.50 so has dropped by 60p.  Not sure if it's a long term or short term offer though.

I also noticed outgoing local / national calls are now 26p/min with a 40p minimum call charge.  It does warn that this is for calls to landlines and other calls (mobiles, etc) differ and to ring them free for further details.

I could have sworn that outgoing calls were 10p/min so not sure if the drop in TV price is subsidised by the increase in cost of outgoing call charges but I'd say so.

Personally, I've never seen anyone actually make/receive a call on one of these things so I'd say overall maybe it's better cheaper for patients now (except for those that do make outgoing calls from the their bedside).

I'm not sure if this pricing existing UK-wide or if it's a hospital / area thing.

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #486 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 2:24pm

bbb_uk wrote on Aug 2nd, 2007 at 7:41pm:
I noticed today that in the North West, it now costs £2.90 for TV all day and it's down as a special offer.  It used to be £3.50 so has dropped by 60p.  Not sure if it's a long term or short term offer though.

That was part of the new tariff structure that was introduced on 4th April. The TV rate was reduced, and made inclusive of internet and games (previously charged seperately) but the concessions were abolished for long stays and over 65s. There were comments here starting at http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1122290403/420#420

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #487 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 11:18am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6934453.stm

NHS phone firm scraps price hike

<<
Hospital phone operator Patientline has scrapped an increase in the price of making bedside calls.
In April it put up the cost of a call from 10p per minute to 26p - the tariff will now revert to 10p per minute.

The minimum charge of a call has also been cut from 40p to 10p, but friends and relatives will still have to pay 49p a minute to call in to loved ones.

Patientline said use of its service had been lower than expected, leaving it struggling with debts.

[...]

Michael Summers, of the Patients Association, said 49p was too high a price for relatives to pay to phone their loved ones.

He said: "It is getting pretty close to robbery, frankly. They must realise that most of these people are not in a position to pay these sort of fees."

However, Charlotte Brown, commercial director of Patientline, said the company had now cut prices twice this year, following a reduction in the cost of watching television from a hospital bed.

She said: "The price cut is testament to our dedication to making people's stay in hospital easier, by offering customers some of the entertainment and communication choices they would enjoy at home."
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #488 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 11:38am

Ofcourse though, it is still a ruddy fortune to call people in hospitals! It still doesn't persuade all but the ones who don't realise the call price, or who HAVE to use the system, to call patients in hospital.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #489 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 12:20pm

jgxenite wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 11:38am:
Ofcourse though, it is still a ruddy fortune to call people in hospitals! It still doesn't persuade all but the ones who don't realise the call price, or who HAVE to use the system, to call patients in hospital.

I used my mobile under the bedclothes --- much cheaper.   Grin Grin

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #490 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:21pm

More from The Guardian

http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/story/0,,2143371,00.html

<<
Patientline, the company offering hospital-based premium rate phone and television services, has announced plans to cut the cost of calls, and admitted that the 160% increase in charges in April was "a mistake".

The company, which caused controversy when it increased call charges for patients from 10p to 26p a minute, said that from tomorrow it was reducing the cost of outgoing calls back down to 10p a minute.

The minimum call charge has also been cut from 40p to 10p, which is below the pre-April figure of 20p.

[...]

Commercial director, Charlotte Brown, said the cut came in response to customer feedback and was designed to encourage more people to use the service.

She said the previous increase in charges had put patients off making calls and admitted "it was clearly a mistake for us to put the price of outgoing calls up".

[...]

Ms Brown said the company had focused on reducing the cost of calls for the patient, but that Patientline also had "a commitment to lowering incoming call costs".
[...]

>>

My guess is that, at some future date, PTL will start using either 0871 or 09 PRS, perhaps at 25p/min or so, for its incoming numbers. Will this precede bankruptcy?

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #491 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:30pm

Quote:
Charlotte Brown, commercial director of Patientline, said the company had now cut prices twice this year, following a reduction in the cost of watching television from a hospital bed. 

She said: "The price cut is testament to our dedication to making people's stay in hospital easier, by offering customers some of the entertainment and communication choices they would enjoy at home."

I wish I had a brain as devious as that.  Reducing (only) their outgoing call charges back to where they were before they increased them (which was at the same time as they reduced the TV charge by 60p per day) is a second price cut?

She clearly does not realise (or simply chooses to ignore) the utter contempt which that statement proves PatientLine has for the public.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #492 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:43pm

Heinz wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:30pm:
Quote:
Charlotte Brown, commercial director of Patientline, said the company had now cut prices twice this year, following a reduction in the cost of watching television from a hospital bed.  

I wish I had a brain as devious as that.  Reducing (only) their outgoing call charges back to where they were before they increased them (which was at the same time as they reduced the TV charge by 60p per day) is a second price cut?

She clearly does not realise (or simply chooses to ignore) the utter contempt which that statement proves PatientLine has for the public.
Indeed. This entity is just clueless, greedy, or most likely, both. Many people are hoping that PTL just goes bust. It has demonstrated contempt, and deserves whatever is coming.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #493 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 6:38am

The Times today carries this story about Patientline : ----

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2218148.ece

"Retreat over hospital phone call charges "

"The cost of phoning home from a hospital bed has been reduced (David Rose writes).

Patientline, the hospital phone operator, yesterday abandoned its price rise for calls in the wake of public pressure and hospitals permitting greater use of mobile phones. In April it put up the cost of a call from a bedside phone from 10p per minute to 26p, but the tariff will now revert to 10p. Phoning a patient will still cost 49p a minute.

The Patients Association has meanwhile voiced concern that a retired Leeds couple were removed from a GP list of patients after complaining about the increased cost for booking appointments when their surgery switched to an “0844” number."

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #494 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:03am

idb wrote on Aug 7th, 2007 at 10:21pm:
She said the previous increase in charges had put patients off making calls and admitted "it was clearly a mistake for us to put the price of outgoing calls up"

So why is it that everyone apart from Patientline could see this?  I didn't realise about the 40p minimum call charge as well previously for outgoing calls.  Ye Gods these people are so greedy and devious it is beyond belief.

Surely Patientline should have realised by now that 49p per minute is actually costing them more money than it earns, never mind their blackened reputation.  It seems inexplicable that they have never tried 10p a minute for a few months to see if they don't then have 15 times as much call duration as a result.

I still think it is no coincidence that Patientline was run by the former head of the prisons service, Mr Derrick Lewis.  Everything about the way Patientline has been run suggests that it considers hospital patients and their relatives to simply be another form of prisoner.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:06am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge