Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
residential CLI number change? (Read 21,604 times)
nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
residential CLI number change?
Aug 18th, 2005 at 7:08pm

Having both an 0870 and 0845 number, I wondered if anyone had their own 01/02 CLI number changed at their exchange to allow outgoing calls to show up as their own 08? number..

Say I called a company and instead of my 01 number showing up, I would have the 08 number show up instead?

In theory it shouldnt be too hard, but I wondered before atempting such, if anyone here has been successful in having this changed for them?

This would be very useful for calling out, and having them see my 08 number on display.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005 at 8:02pm by nutellajunkie »  

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Re: residential CLI number change?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 8:29pm

Of course, when the CLI rules were first written they expressly forbade showing revenue sharing numbers such as 09X and possibly also 070.
084 and 087 were allowed because they were truly local and national.
What price progress?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 10:48pm

Quote:
Having both an 0870 and 0845 number, I wondered if anyone had their own 01/02 CLI number changed at their exchange to allow outgoing calls to show up as their own 08? number..

Say I called a friend, and instead of my 01 number showing up, I would have the 08 number show up instead?

In theory it shouldnt be too hard, but I wondered before atempting such, if anyone here has been successful in having this changed for them?

This would be very useful for calling out, and having them see my 08 number on display.

Thanks

Don't phone me then - I won't answer calls from such numbers.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 2:22pm

I have never seen 0870 on the caller display when called by any 0870 call centre.

It always seems to be either Unavailable or Withheld.

I also think your suggestion that you want to get your friends to call you back on an 0870 number is reprehensible.  It would of course be quite satisfying to have 0870 show up on the CLI section of the screen of an employee in an 0870 call centre.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 2:36pm

It is possible to have an 0870 show up when calling out as I've had calls from businesses, etc come up with 0870.

This site though (and most of its members) are against 0845/0870 (specifically 087x) numbers and I agree with NGM about having your family/friends, etc ring you back on an 087x number is inexcusable and in my opinion makes you just like some of these companies that operate 087x numbers.

I, like some forum members, do have an 087x number but only provide this to companies/organisations that themselves expect us to use their 087x numbers.

I haven't received a penny as yet from my 0871 number and I'm not that bothered if I do or don't as its there to give these companies a taste of their own medicine.

I personally would never dream about having my family/friends, etc ring an 087x number instead of my landline.

IP Logged

BillH

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 5:41pm

Hi. I have posted an item about 0870 CLI in the Geo Nos Chat last December under the topic 0870 Caller Display. I detail where it is possible to have your 0870 displayed over your geographic number for a set up fee and quarterly charge. Since then, I have had an 0870 displayed (0870 2000848) on the line for my fax but can't recall who it was from as I'm not interested in responding to 0870 calls/fax. Bill

IP Logged

BillH

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 5:45pm

Bill again. For some reason a smiley was displayed instead of 0870 2000848. Fat fingers?

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 6:00pm

Quote:
Bill again. For some reason a smiley was displayed instead of 0870 2000848. Fat fingers?
No, it'll be because certain characters in a certain sequence inform the forum software that you wanted a smilie even though you didn't but that's how the smilies are displayed - it just interprets these characters as somekind of code for meaning you wanted a certain smilie.

I know because I've done it a few times and I think my certain sequence of characters was a certain number of question marks and explanations marks that displays a smilie.

(it actually did display a smilie when I tried to do the question marks and explanation marks as single characters instead of words)

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 6:14pm

Just checked my Caller Display unit and not one 0870 amongst the last 70 individual numbers that have called.

Of course Unavailable is the most recent item in the list of 70 and i have had more than 99 calls from number Unavailable since I last changed the batteries in the Caller Display unit.

IP Logged

nutellajunkie

[GURU MEDITATION]

Alba
Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 8:01pm

Technically, it is possible to have it done at the local exchange, but it really depends on who one speaks to.. I did ask the guy at repairs (they seem to know best) and I should write in and ask for such service..

I do not want my 08 number to come up on my display so my friends call, that is not my intention. Its just sheer interest and "can it be" so please do not suggest I am reprehensible, I was using it as an example. but hey, some people on here dont know when to take an example as is.. I guess the whole blood boiling still happens, even with example.. I do laugh. NonGeorgraphicalman hit it spot on though with it being rather satisfying to show up on a companies CLI..

Indeed in the past Ive seen a few 0845 numbers come up on callerID, the most memorable ones would have to be that dreaded BTsms voice thing..

So please, anyone who thinks I would actually have my friends or family call my 08 for real, then you got another thing coming.. Infact, I might aswell just change the origional post..

chill out people!

Call 0800/0808/0500 with no credit! True unlimited talk/text/data. PM for recipe.
IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 10:46pm

And Number Unavailable was invented for those generally older rural excahnges where the caller was not able to dial 141 to withhold their number. So all numbers were marked as unavailable, that is "withheld, but not by individual subscriber choice". In this way bypassing anonymous call rejection in a valid manner.
So why are big companies allowed to use this scam? Surely they can not be using old BT Monarch telephone systems  Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 10:51pm

Quote:
So why are big companies allowed to use this scam? Surely they can not be using old BT Monarch telephone systems  Smiley

Because the number is not withheld at the choice of the person calling you but on a company wide basis at the choice of their telecoms manager.  Thus the person making the call is no more able to diclose their number than someone calling from a small rural exchange.  Hence the number is Unavailable.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 10:57pm

No. The difference is the command at the exchange. Withheld, whether by individual extension user or by the telecoms manager, is different to Unavailable. This was my point about large companies pretending that their switch could not discriminate and so being allowed to show unavailable as a way of bypassing anonymous call rejection (ACR).
Hence you get Unavilable calls from, for example HSBC, when they actually really withhold the number. GRRRR.
This was not why the command was invented and it should be withdrawn.
Time for a ConDoc OFCOM?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 11:37pm

Quote:
Time for a ConDoc OFCOM?

Haven't you noticed that almost no regulation which Ofcom is supposed to control is respected Tanllan.

Time perhaps then for a consultation document about Ofcom?

I hardly ever get Withheld from these large companies.  It is nearly always Unavailable.  Presumably this is so as to force us to call them back on their 0845 or 0870 number.  Unusually my local council does disclose the number of their main switchboard for any number there that calls.  And that's even without having to put down a resolution to full council about it.  Of course that council doesn't use any 0870 or 0845 call centre numbers though.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 11:45pm

Sorry, by switch there I meant the local public exchange or the opearator/carrier used. Hence my surmise at a scam to flout the spirit.
Now where have we seen that allowed?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge