Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Google to the rescue!: Discuss (Read 17,064 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Google to the rescue!: Discuss
Reply #15 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 12:47am

Quote:
NGN - if Easyjet and Ryanair are so bad how come they are so popular and make so much money??

Same reason as DSG Retail Ltd.  A lot of brash advertising and plenty of capital backing.  DSG Retail Ltd only got where it is today by geographical presence and by being big enough to get new products in store before their rivals.  They didn't get there through training staff (something that Kaiser Electrical seemingly are now doing with Comet) or being nice to their customers.

But Easyjet and Ryanair are two completely different airlines really.  I do agree that Ryanair has always opened up a lot of new routes and also has generally very cheap fares, provided you book at least 2 weeks in advance.  But the same wasn't originally true of Easyjet on opening any new routes (Stelios simply believed ingoing head to head against BA on their established routes) and Easyjet have never had lots of cheap fares in the way that Ryanair has.  Easyjet play a lot of devious games to be able to claim cheap headline fares while 75%+ of their customers pay something little different from what BA, Iberia and so on are charging.

Quote:
I don't give a hoot about how "nice" the cabin staff are. Who gives a monkeys?

They don't have to be nice to me they just have not to be rude, crude and generally disrespectful of the customer as so many Easyjet staff seem to have special lifelong training in doing.

I never book more than a month before travel and often much less.  Easyjet fares are never the cheapest available this near to travel.  I travel either other major scheduled carriers or major charter carriers like Thomson, Monarch or Air 2000,  all of whom respect their customers more than Easyjet do.

Quote:
But if they break their contract with me a just pop on the web and issue a county court summons in two ticks. I once turned up at Geneva airport to take an Easyjet flight, and indeed the check-in desk was inexplicably closed about 10 minutes before the deadline. I got the airport manager as a witness; and in the summons required that they provide me with the names of all Easyjet staff on duty that day plus full details of their duty logs AND the video tape from the security cameras!

Other airlines don't have to be sued in order to solve these problems as they won't close the checkin desk on you before time and if you miss the flight due to their fault they will put you up in a hotel (they have permanent ground staff at the airport unlike Easyjet) and/or will compensate you in response to merely a letter instead of a threat to go to court.

You seem to fly a lot but I can only assume you book your flights 6 months ahead.  Well bully for you if you can do this but personally I prefer the convenience of the car where I can decide to leave in 5 minutes time and not have to pay 15 times as much for the privilege as a result.

IP Logged

PeDaSp

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:21am

Quote:
Easyjet play a lot of devious games to be able to claim cheap headline fares while 75%+ of their customers pay something little different from what BA, Iberia and so on are charging.

But who was it that got BA and the others to lower their prices?? They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts because they "love" their customers. They did it because Easyjet came in; cut costs and lowered prices.

I work in the film business and fly crews around Europe the whole time - I just can't tell you how much money Easyjet has saved me. I went to a talk Stelios gave - and I stood up and told him. The whole audience broke into applause with agreement.

I often book at the last minute - and more often then not, Easyjet (or Ryanair) are still the cheapest. The prices only go up if it's near the fly date AND they don't have many seats left. If they are full then why can't they charge more?

But it's true that some people assume Easyjet will always be the cheapest - they're not. But it's them you have to thank for the low prices.

Quote:
Other airlines don't have to be sued in order to solve these problems as they won't close the checkin desk on you before time and if you miss the flight due to their fault they will put you up in a hotel (they have permanent ground staff at the airport unlike Easyjet)

I agree 100% - and that's the whole point! Easyjet just have a different business model - right down to "sue us". Look how overstaffed BA is - and how the unions force them to keep too many staff. This overmanning even extends to their outsourced suppliers like Gate Gourmet: they have rules like "X number of people must be present to unload each food trailer" even when most of them are just standing around.

This government has made it SO easy to sue companies in the small claims court. You just fill in a web form and pay a few pounds depending on the size of the claim.

I NEVER waste time writing or calling customer services departments. I go straight to the companies house website, find out the companies' registered address (free), and then issue a 7 day notice by post. Then on the 8th day I pop on the web and issue the summons.

Because I'm smart I get the best of both worlds - cheap prices  and then full recompense if the companies mess me around. I've NEVER lost a case and only once have I ever actually gone to court - and even then I didn't need to and could have won on my written submission alone.

Bulldog Broadband are next on my list if they don't sort themselves out quick Smiley))

Quote:
They don't have to be nice to me they just have not to be rude, crude and generally disrespectful of the customer as so many Easyjet staff seem to have special lifelong training in doing.

I must confess I quite like the way they are so rude! Anything is better then fawning cabin staff pretending they are enjoying such a silly job. I remember on my very first Easyjet flight a passenger standing up as the plane was still on it's steep ascent with all the seatbelt signs on. The Easyjet steward just stood up and shouted all the way down the plane for the prat to sit down - lovely!

If it's cheap and good value you can be as rude as you like to me (not that I won't be rude back).
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:22am by PeDaSp »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 6:51am

We have a famlily holiday apartment in good old Mallorca.

All I can tell you is that Easyjet have been very bad for price competition on that route and have targeted it as one where they are determined to become the dominant supplier of scheduled seats (as opposed to inflexible duration charter seats).

Easyjet have never offered particularly cheap seats but their relentless pushy marketing power has stolen bookings and ultimately the route from other low cost carriers on for instance the London to Gatwick part of the route (Air Europa).  Then the moment they had driven their main Spanish low cost airline low cost rival off the route this year they also cut their own schedule and rammed prices through the ceiling.  And because Easyjet have driven up the price of scheduled tickets the price of last minute charter seats has also gone through the roof too.  We do not travel on this route on business but on holiday and the fares are now frequently so high in peak season that we cannot afford to go when we want to go.  So we don't go on another date.  We just don't go there at all.

As for you liking Easyjet staff manner well I can only assume that you would enjoy travelling on a coach or staying at an old style Butlins camp.  Its not a question of staff in the other airlines being fawning but of them employing more pleasant people who they pay higher wages too.  Easyjet pay peanuts and get the cabin crew you would expect as a result.   Any good Easyjet cabin crew member rapidly leaves for jobs with other airlines after a few months.  Only the rude ones with less skills stay with them long term.  On the same basis I doubt they have the most skilled pilots and co-pilots in the industry although they are probably adequate for most of the time.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2005 at 6:52am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge