Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159 (Read 220,407 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Responses to Ofcom consultation hit 1,159
Reply #270 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:08am

idb wrote on Jan 16th, 2006 at 2:57am:
I note some newly published responses in addition to the pathetic contribution by OCP. An interesting one from the bleating DSA is at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/dsa.pdf - clearly concerned about the possibility of their scamming being curtailed, and also a short reply from an MP, Peter Bottomley, at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/bottomleyp.pdf

The good old DVLA has also provided a response at http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/dvla.pdf

As far as I can tell, only one MP has been sufficiently interested to respond to the consultation which does not in itself bode well for getting rid of these numbers. Perhaps MPs are as apathetic about this scam as the rest of the public.

As I expect you will realise Peter Bottomley only ended up responding to the consultation due to an ongoing email dialogue with a certain Councillor with whom I am also personally rather well acquainted. Wink

I think MPs would have been put off by the pure impenetrability of the consultation document and the total number of such consultations that MPs receive from all over the place every week (they would have all been sent the consultations in hard copy form by Ofcom).  It does however seem disappointing that Lord (formerly Paul) Tyler did not find the the time to put in a formal response though although he, Vince Cable and Andrew Rosindell have all been asking some helpful Parliamentary questions lately.  I think they are asking the wrong questions though.  They should be asking each Minister how much it would cost in a full year for their department to abolish all non geographic phone services operated by the department on 084, 087, 09 or 070 prefixed numbers, including the cost of any reduced price services or discounted equipment presently supplied by the telecoms company as a quid pro quo for the existence of the NGN contract.  Perhaps I need to suggest this to the MPs in question.  I see some departments have actually been quite forthcoming in their responses though whilst others (especially the Inland Revenue/Customs) have resorted to total obfuscation.

Perhaps they will soon be saying that decisions about whether or not to use an NGNs by government departments/agencies should be a matter for experts rather than a matter for government ministers. Wink Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:09am by N/A »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #271 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:25am

It is odd that the DSA's response is from Jason Falk, Booking Control Manager, and not from its Chief Executive or other director.  Mr Falk seems distressed at the prospect of more of the DSA's customers booking their driving tests on the web if it had to use 09 numbers so the public knew the real costs of these 0870 calls.  Is this purely because Mr Falk fears a loss of jobs for himself and his colleagues in the Booking Control department - surely the DSA board would welcome more online booking and the resulting staff cost savings?  Interestingly Mr Falk quotes an 0191 geographic number as his contact number though!  I am tempted to email Jason to ask if his submission is a personal one on behalf of Booking Control staff or is on behalf of the entire agency.

Claims that it would cost a fortune to change the number are obviously utter rubbish when all that needs to happen is that an announcement is provided on the old 0870 number free of charge to call the new 03 geographic rates number.  How do these people think they ever managed to move from their geographic number to the 0870 number. Roll Eyes

Unfortunately of course we know that weak as water Ofcom is all too inclined to accept such pathetic arguments from the bandits in these government agencies.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #272 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 7:42am

I see there is now a response dated December 22nd from the Federation of Communication Services to the Providing Citizens and Consumers with Improved Information...... etc consultation that closed on Dec 6th.  So perhaps there is still time for the Ofcom Consumer Panel to get in a late submission on this one too then? Wink

Perhaps I could put in a late submission on Ofcom's Wholesale Line Rental - Fit for Purpose consultation of a couple of months ago which I missed at the time but with which I take great exception with the conclusions?  Stupidly I had thought that several weeks after the event I might be too late.  What a silly notion when Ofcom take up to a year to assess and report back on responses to most of their consultations.

Perhaps there is still time for you to make a response on the Single National Non-Emergency Number idb as I know that you had intended to make one?  Perhaps there is still time for all those other Police forces in the UK who have not yet responded to the SNEN consultation to do so?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #273 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 12:39pm

Quote:
Perhaps there is still time for you to make a response on the Single National Non-Emergency Number idb as I know that you had intended to make one?
I may try to put something together this week.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006 at 12:40pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #274 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 1:14pm

idb wrote on Jan 16th, 2006 at 12:39pm:
I may try to put something together this week.

If they refuse to allow it I would point to some of their other generous time extensions on responses and the 10 days that were lost between xmas and New Year.

Perhaps it was because you know you would end up writing 8 pages as I did that the thought of sitting down to do it proved too big a hurdle to cross.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge