Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

 
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates" (Read 21,339 times)
derrick
Supreme Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 1,124
BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Oct 25th, 2005 at 11:47am
 
Their was an inhouse "advert" on BBC 1 last night at about 7.30 p.m.  The "advert" was about their BBC 1,2,3,4  CEEBIES etc, they then asked you to  call 08700 10 10 10 for further information verbally, and also had it displayed on screen with the words in smaller writing "All calls charged at standard rates"  Changing the word from national to standard still means they are conning us as to the true cost of these calls.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Dave
Global Moderator
*****
Offline



Posts: 9,901
Yorkshire
Gender: male
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 3:02pm
 
Is that the number you can call for a "free" information pack on digital TV services?  Roll Eyes
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
bbb_uk
Global Moderator
*****
Offline



Posts: 2,041
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:00pm
 
I believe Ofcom has referred to 0870 as "standard rate" in their consultation so they may have got it from there.

"Standard rates" doesn't help us though as people may think what is meant by "standard" is that it is the same price as a geographical call and therefore not nearly 8ppm.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:15am
 
Please complain to the BBC's Director of Editorial Policy Stephen Whittle who should be there to stop precisely this kind of deplorable scamming by the BBC and their disgusting Capita henchmen:-

stephen.whittle@bbc.co.uk

Also cc to:- michael.grade@bbc.co.uk and mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk

Do not call BBC Information's 0870 number to complain as this is run by Capital staff who simply place all such complaints in their electronic dustbin.

This might also be worth a complaint to Ofcom who are the only people who can control the BBC over such matters.  Make sure to ask to have your call logged as an official complaint and to be given a reference number for the call.
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:20pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
derrick
Supreme Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 1,124
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:31am
 
Quote:
Please complain to the BBC's Director of Editorial Policy Stephen Whittle who should be there to stop precisely this kind of deplorable scamming by the BBC and their disgusting Capita henchmen:-

stephen.whittle@bbc.co.uk

Also cc to:- michael grade@bbc.co.uk and mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk

Do not call BBC Information's 0870 number to complain as this is run by Capital staff who simply place all such complaints in their electronic dustbin.

This might also be worth a complaint to Ofcom who are the only people who can control the BBC over such matters.  Make sure to ask to have your call logged as an official complaint and to be given a reference number for the call.



I have complained  to Ofcom who tell me they have no control over what is contained on websites and this type of info on tv,i.e not paid for adverts, I can't remember everything that was said as it was a lengthy phone call including other issues, I was told that this type of complaint is dealt with by Trading standards and I have emailed them, am awaiting a reply. However I will forward the complaint to the email addresses you have supplied

Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
derrick
Supreme Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 1,124
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:43am
 
NGN,
I have written an email but  when I go to send it I am informed there are "no matches" for michael grade or mark thompson
I copied and pasted the addresses from your post
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
joe65
Full Member
***
Offline



Posts: 143
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:52am
 
Quote:
"All calls charged at standard rates"  Changing the word from national to standard still means they are conning us as to the true cost of these calls.

That's very crafty.   'Standard' giving  the illusion of a single tarrif,   whilst in reality :-  
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. Wink
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:56am by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 11:58am
 
Quote:
That's very crafty.   'Standard' giving  the illusion of a single tarrif,   whilst in reality :-  
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from


Presumably they attempt to justify this on the basis that 0870 calls are still charged at the tariff that used to be applicable to the millions of BT Standard line rental customers who have now been forcibly transferred to the £9 per quarter more expensive BT Option 1 tariff (£3 more line rental and £6 lost calling allowance).

But the fact is that this tariff now only applies to customers on the BT Light User Scheme so it is anything but Standard!.  But this latest disgrace shows that the BBC will prostitute itself in almost any way that its Capita call centre ripoffs partners in crime tell it to.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
joe65
Full Member
***
Offline



Posts: 143
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:08pm
 
Quote:
Presumably they attempt to justify this on the basis that 0870 calls are still charged at the tariff that used to be applicable to the millions of BT Standard line rental customers ....

I fancy it's rather just a less illuminating form  of the recently popular :-
 "Calls will be charged at your operators standard rates"  ,   which in reality means ' It's nothing to do with us. Find out from your operator (& don't blame us if you cann't).
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:09pm by joe65 »  

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:15pm
 
Quote:
I fancy it's rather just a less illuminating form  of the recently popular :-
 "Calls will be charged at your operators standard rates"  ,   which in reality means ' It's nothing to do with us. Find out from your operator (& don't blame us if you cann't).


Neither "at standard rates" or "at your operators standard rates" is an accurate statement in the context of 0870.

The BT should just not say anything about the call price if they want to go on scamming but not actively mislead callers.  It is unfortunately clear that the ASA's Stop the Call Confusion guidance unfortunately does not appear to Broadcast Advertising or to the BBC as a body.

So instead normal Trading Standards laws apply.  Under those staying silent on call cost is acceptable but saying things like 0870 is at the National Rate or at Standard Rates is not.
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:16pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:22pm
 
Quote:
NGN,
I have written an email but  when I go to send it I am informed there are "no matches" for michael grade or mark thompson
I copied and pasted the addresses from your post


You need to copy and paste it as

michael.grade@bbc.co.uk;mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk
into your email software CC field

Those email addresses were working ok only a few days ago.  Of course if you put my
and
and between the two email addresses in your cc field it would have caused some problems.
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:23pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
joe65
Full Member
***
Offline



Posts: 143
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:26pm
 
Quote:
Neither "at standard rates" or "at your operators standard rates" is an accurate statement in the context of 0870.

The BT should just not say anything about the call price if they want to go on scamming but not actively mislead callers.  It is unfortunately clear that the ASA's Stop the Call Confusion guidance unfortunately does not appear to Broadcast Advertising or to the BBC as a body.

So instead normal Trading Standards laws apply.  Under those staying silent on call cost is acceptable but saying things like 0870 is at the National Rate or at Standard Rates is not.

The words Local, National & standard are just now so devalued , suggestive and misleading, that saying nothing..., would be at least..... less un-helpful.
Back to top
 

There are those who count,&&An' those who cann't,&&An' those who count  on the both of 'em.
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:31pm
 
Quote:
The words Local, National & standard are just now so devalued , suggestive and misleading, that saying nothing..., would be at least..... less un-helpful.


In the opinion of Trading Standards at least the BBC would then not be committing an offence under Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 as they do every time they make claims that 0870 is National Rate or Standard Rate.

Of course most trading standards offices seem frightened to take on the might of the BBC and Capita legal departments. Roll Eyes
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:31pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
derrick
Supreme Member
*****
Offline



Posts: 1,124
Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 12:43pm
 
Quote:
You need to copy and paste it as

michael.grade@bbc.co.uk;mark.thompson@bbc.co.uk
into your email software CC field

Those email addresses were working ok only a few days ago.  Of course if you put my
and
and between the two email addresses in your cc field it would have caused some problems.




That has worked, I originally copied and pasted them seperately into the cc field with a gap between them therefore I would have thought it should have worked, anyway they have gone and I received an outo reply from Stephen Whittle that he is out of the office with a text/phone number for urgent calls.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member


Re: BBC now calling 0870 "standard rates"
Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 1:13pm
 
Quote:
That has worked, I originally copied and pasted them seperately into the cc field with a gap between them therefore I would have thought it should have worked, anyway they have gone and I received an outo reply from Stephen Whittle that he is out of the office with a text/phone number for urgent calls.


You always need a
;
(semi colon) between each email address entry in the To, CC or BCC fields in any email with multiple recipients.

You mean you have never cc'ed more than one person before ??? Shocked
Back to top
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2005 at 1:14pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2020 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.


SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.


Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge