Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MSE HAVE raised awareness of 0870 consultation!!! (Read 34,062 times)
gdh82

MSE HAVE raised awareness of 0870 consultation!!!
Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:18am

Just thought I'd pass on the reply I've received from Martin Lewis of Money Savings Expert. I understand he's preparing an article on the Future of 0870 Consultation to go out with his weekly email tips.  
Obviously this could help significantly in making more and more people aware of the consultation.  Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Re: Highlight Ofcom Consultation RE: Future of 0870 numbers ?
I'm already preparing something on it :0
MSE Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdh82
Dear Martin/MSE,

Please would you consider including in future weekly email of tips, a mention of Ofcom's current consultation which closes on 6 Dec05.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/

And for help with responding...
http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/...;num=1129637610

You're obviously aware of 0870 issues judging from the very useful article on your site regarding 0870 numbers... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cg...086555604,78422 and I'm sure many of the users of your site would appreciate being made aware of this opportunity to have their say on the matter.

Thanks in anticipation.
Kind Regards
Garry
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2005 at 1:14pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: MSE to raise awareness of 0870 consultation
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:21am

Thanks for that.

Let's hope that even more people respond now.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 7:14pm

The latest mailing from the moneysaving expert contains the following:

<<
The end is near for disgraceful 0870 numbers

0870 numbers hideously cost as much as eight times normal calls, even though they're called National Rate. Thankfully, communications industry regulator Ofcom revised original proposals to address consumers' concerns, and they look good. More Info Article: Say No to 0870
>>

Comments?!
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 7:14pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Has MSE Martin pointed to the information pages on this site?

I can't currently access their website or forum at this moment in time.  I'm assuming they're down!

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 7:34pm

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:28pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:02pm

Quote:
The links provided are:
~
I cannot access any of the above.

Did you get "Error: Invalid start/end news items."

I noticed that the last part of the writing is not highlighted as part of the link. I had this problem elsewhere the other day; maybe the comma truncates the address.

Perhaps they were similar where you saw them first.

If you highlight the whole address, then copy and paste it in the browser address bar, it seems to work

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:05pm

The links from the original email now seem to work, but the ones I posted above are, as you say, truncated presumably because of the comma. Perhaps a moderator can correct these links?

Update - I've now modified the links myself so both should work.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:29pm by idb »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 8:42pm

What a wasted opportunity. If there was ever a consumer resource that could solicit a huge response to the Ofcom consultation then it is the money saving site. Instead, it sends out a bland statement congratulating Ofcom simply reproducing its proposals, and making no reference, at least not one that I can see, to submitting comments and responses to Ofcom. With a mailing list of tens, if not hundreds of thousands, this could have been the publicity that is so needed, yet there is not one reference or link to either the Ofcom consultation or indeed this sayno web site. What a shocker!

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:15pm

Hang on, guys!  I think those two links are to old items!

I understand what is currently been worked on is something new to be included in MSE's weekly emails ?   We shall see - I'll pass on anything I read on the subject.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:24pm

I am referring to what I believe to be the 'weekly email' from the money expert.

This was received today with a timestamp of 1:46pm EST (ie 6:46pm UK time):

"£100s in free cash, 20 quid DVD player, Travelodge Tennertastic rooms again, 0% overdraft, 5p/min to call mobiles, cheapest loan for poorer credit scorers, Lidl and Aldi hunt, new top savings account, sad fart rights, special teachers note and much, much more MoneySaving...."

including

"The Ones Not To Miss"

which further includes

"The end is near for disgraceful 0870 numbers
0870 numbers hideously cost as much as eight times normal calls, even though they're called National Rate. Thankfully, communications industry regulator Ofcom revised original proposals to address consumers' concerns, and they look good. More Info Article: Say No to 0870" and the associated links I posted earlier.

Are you saying that this is not the 'weekly email'?

Note I am only an occasional reader of money expert so I'm more than happy to be corrected if necessary, but I am on the mailing list!
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:25pm by idb »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:32pm

For those that haven't received the email as yet you can view MSE latest (as in today's) moneysaving tips here.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 9:46pm

It appears my reference to the weekly email was, in fact, correct.

As I said earlier, and assuming nothing else is forthcoming, this is a wasted opportunity. Clearly the money saving site has been taken in by the Ofcom spin. Once a vehement opponent of the rip-off, the surrender has been swift.

This mass email could have galvanized many hundreds of people to make their viewpoints known to Ofcom. Now, the masses will simply believe that Ofcom has sorted out the 0870 mess.

Unless another journo can promote this consultation (Mr Derbyshire, perhaps?), the number of responses will probably be insufficient to make much of a difference.

IP Logged

beginner

Reply #12 - Nov 8th, 2005 at 11:28pm

Doesn't the MSE take the 'pieces of silver' from the BBC/ITV (the masters of 0870 culture) in his 'day job'?
So is it surprising that the MSE site rolls over so easily to Ofcoms way of thinking - or is the cynic coming out in me?

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 3:13pm

I stand corrected, idb.

Sad Like you, idb, I too received a MSE weekly email today and very dissappointingly it simply contains links to what are two previous articles.  Neither article encourages the reader to have their say nor does it state the 6 Dec 05 deadline  ???  A minor consolation is that the article 'Say No To 0870! Don't pay to complain' does contain a link to this site's homepage which in turn highlights the deadline and contains a link to the information pages.

For what its worth I'll send another pm to MSE and see if anything becomes of it...

IP Logged

gdh82

Re: MSE fail to raise awareness of 0870 consultati
Reply #14 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:07pm

Quote:
Hi as you're probably aware I sponsor the saynoto0870 site and link to it from the main article anyway
MSE Martin

The above is the reply to my earlier pm asking Martin if he'd include a link to the information pages.  Does this mean that because he's sponsor of this site, he doesn't need to make any further efforts on the 0870 front?

I've since sent a further pm highlighting that the statement in the current weekly tips email is too simplistic and does not begin to tell the wider story of this consultation...
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2005 at 4:10pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge