Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND (Read 58,011 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND
Nov 11th, 2005 at 6:59pm

As part of the websites ongoing development, the discussion forum area will be unavailable for a period of time this weekend, whilst upgrades are made.

Due to the nature of the upgrades, the exact time the forums will go offline will not be known until nearer the time.  The time will be posted as soon as it is known, although this may mean that not much notice will be given.

We will post a message once all upgrades have been completed.

During this period, all other areas of the website will function as usual.

Sorry for any inconvience this may cause.

Thanks for your ongoing support,

Daniel
Website Administrator
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2005 at 6:59pm by Forum Admin »  

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:54am

Daniel,

I notice you have introduced the new YaBB V2.1 forum software but must comment as follows:-

1.  All my existing thread subscriptions have been lost, which is surely going to be a real killer for the discussions here if this cannot be overcome.  And I cannot think of a worse time for the discussion here to be killed off in this way.

2. A notification update email message I had sent by the old forum software still only linked me to Page 1 of a multi page thread in the new forum although I know that YaBB V2 does have the facility to send emails with notification links that take you to the current active page from my membership of the www.radioandtelly.co.uk forum which upgraded to YaBB about three weeks ago.

Are you working on the thread subscription issue?  As I am sure you would agree forum members will not find it acceptable for all their message subscriptions to be lost.

NGM

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:29am

NGM, you could try remembering what you've said.

You're making it sound like people can't read any thread they want to.

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 6:47am

lost all my subscriptions to the threads as well. Although I was only watching a couple of threads, so I havent lost that much.

Plus I think the FOI thread should be number 4 in the list after cheep call providers but before site related.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 6:51am by mc661 »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 8:46am

Must be too early in the morning for my brain - but what exactly are these 'subscriptions' being discussed here?
Apologies if it's a daft question!!

ps I'm finding the text not as easy to read as before, seems 'lighter', but maybe that's just age (mine, not the text!).
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 8:49am by firestop »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:39am

Things I've noticed:-
  • Subscriptions (as pointed out mc661 & NGM) are lost
  • Text size seems smaller & lighter (as pointed out by firestop).  I personally find a default font/text size of Arial 12 is easier to read (assuming this can be changed).
  • Signatures that used the code 'Glow' no longer appear to work (I noticed Dave's signature was one)
  • Links don't appear bold (so as to highlight them more)
  • In the search page, is it possible to change the default '
    This post was made in the last...
    ' from 'Week' to possibly '(all posts)' or 'Year'?
  • Is it possible to change the
    'Display how many results?
    ' from '15' to a much higher number like '100'.

You may need to install the Board Search add-on.

This would then mean for those members that do bother to do a search, then changing the defaults to a much higher number would ensure they are more likely to get a search result and therefore/hopefully not bother to start a new topic.  I believe not many people look at the default search criteria when searching.  
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:47am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:31am

Now I do feel thick - everyone moaning about 'lost subscriptions' and I don't even know what they're on about!

Is it just for 'supreme & superior' members only?  Must I aspire to these dizzy heights before all is revealed?  Will I need to learn a funny handshake and roll one trouser leg up?

We need to be told. Wink Embarrassed

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:52am

firestop wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 10:31am:
Now I do feel thick - everyone moaning about 'lost subscriptions' and I don't even know what they're on about!

Is it just for 'supreme & superior' members only?  Must I aspire to these dizzy heights before all is revealed?  Will I need to learn a funny handshake and roll one trouser leg up?

We need to be told. Wink Embarrassed

There's a 'Notify of replies' link at the top of the thread.  Click on that to 'subscribe' to a thread and you can then click to get an e-mail to tell you when anyone replies to that particular thread.

There's also a 'Check this if you wish to be notified of replies to this topic' box at the bottom of the Post Reply page (i.e. the page you type in). That does the same thng - 'subscribes' you to a thread.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:17am

Many thanks, Heinz.  Now I understand, just never heard the term before.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:39am

firestop wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:17am:
Many thanks, Heinz.  Now I understand, just never heard the term before.

When you reply to any thread/topic there is a "Check this is you wish to be notified of replies to this topic" option.  Thereafter you continue to get emails when there are further message posts in that thread.  There were 70 or 80 threads to which I was thus subscribed.

Daniel said he wasn't going to switch over to YaBB V2 until this problem was overcome but now he has done anyway regardless.

So now I don't get any update emails when there are new posts in topics/threads that I was watching.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:50am

Quote:
So now I don't get any update emails when there are new posts in topics/threads that I was watching.
It's not the best solution but the next easiest way of re-subscribing to threads is to go into the threads again and click on 'Notify of Replies' either at the top or bottom of the thread.

I've just been searching on Yabbforum (the makers of YaBB) and it appears it is a problem for which they don't know how to get around.  It is annoying but isn't a major problem in comparison to losing threads or PM's etc.

NGM, didn't you also say radioandtelly also had same problem?
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:52am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:53am

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:50am:
I've just been searching on Yabbforum (the makers of YaBB) and it appears it is a problem for which they don't know how to get around as yet.  It is annoying but isn't a major problem in comparison to losing threads or PM's etc.

If you were subscribed to 80 or so threads as I was then it is a very significant issue.

I can't understand why these records can't be migrated across as the info is clearly there to transfer in the forum database.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 11:53am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 12:04pm

Quote:
If you were subscribed to 80 or so threads as I was then it is a very significant issue.
I agree if you have loads.  I personally don't know how you kept up with these.  You must have got loads of emails on a daily basis.  lol.
Quote:
I can't understand why these records can't be migrated across as the info is clearly there to transfer in the forum database.
I agree here completely but if the forum makers don't appear to have found a way around then what can one do?

Daniel mentioned here that to send out a mass email informing people of the consultation then it is best done from the new upgraded forum.  I assume this is probably a feature that wasn't present on the old existing one.  Therefore, in my opinion, I'm glad he's now upgraded so that hopefully this mass email can be sent out.  Had he hold out until this notification problem was solved then this may have been too late for a mass email to all members.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 12:15pm

A lot of the threads had become dormant so did not send me lots of new messages on a daily basis.  However every now and then someone added a new message to a thread that had been quiet for a few weeks.

I can't see how YaBB can conisder V2 to be a full release version if no satisfactory migration path from YaBB V1 on thread subscriptions is available. Angry
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 12:45pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 12:26pm

Quote:
I can't see how YaBB can conisder V2 to be a full release version if no satisfactory migration path from YaBB V1 on thread subscriptions is available. Angry
It does seem weird that they haven't found a way around this but from my experience (in my field) it is very rare that when an upgrade/conversion is done, it's done without a problem.  This is true not just of forum software but other software as well.  I noticed VBulletin forum software that you actually have to pay for, also had problems with conversion/upgrading, etc.

Like I said I agree it's annoying but as I said earlier holding off until it can be sorted would make it too late for a mass email especially when its not known when (or indeed if) the notification problem could be sorted.  At this moment in time, as I'm sure you'll agree, a mass email to forum members about the consultation is more important and worth the upgrade especially as there is only 22 days left.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge