Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND (Read 57,953 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Re: DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND
Reply #45 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 10:09pm

Quote:
What is Daniel doing about implementing the fix to restore PM status and message subscriptions offered by Carsten over at the YaBB web forum? Smiley

NGM,

Please check your e-mail Wink

The message basically said sorry for not replying to you sooner, as I have been working through the different problems people have been finding.

I am going to run the update a bit later tonight (when the forum is a little quieter). - I've tried it on my test forum, and it seems to work well, so hopefully it should go smoothly.  Lips Sealed

Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #46 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 10:49pm

The threads subscriptions have now been transferred across from the old forum, which shouldn't have affected any you have subscribed to since.

All members will now be informed by e-mail if they receive a private message - This can be disabled if necessary through the 'Profile' link at the top of the forum.

Thanks again
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 11:45pm

Daniel,

It now turns out I am subscribed to around 200 threads (many admittedly long dormant).  So I knew there was a reason I was so touchy about this issue.

The only remaining issue seems to be PMs which have converted from YaBB V1.4 in the wrong order with the oldest message in the Inbox at say item 165 and the newest message at Item 1 but with any new messages coming in via YaBBV2 joining at Message No 166.  I guess we need to make this a feature request over at www.YaBBforum.com as they seem more than a little touchy about any suggestion at all that their forum software could have any bugs in it.  There is a guy over there called Spike who seems more than a little appriately named. Wink Shocked

Anyhow thanks for your all your hard work on this Daniel.  It seems like we are almost there. Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2005 at 12:03am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #48 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:24am

Please feel free to vote here on what you think of the new forum version (inc its features) compared to the older one.

Once you vote you have approximately a week from the date of voting to change your mind and remove your vote (bottom right-hand side of voting screen) and vote again.

Also, I would just like to say thanks Daniel for the time you have put in on upgrading the forum and solving the conversion problems.  I believe overall it's a better forum compared to the older one especially now that most (if not all) conversion problems have been solved.
Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #49 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 7:56pm

A big thanks to Daniel for putting in the work over the past couple of days to upgrade the forums. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 8:04pm

Agreed but it would still be nice if we could get our www.yabbforum.com chums to tell us how to reorder the PMs here so that they appear properly in date order.  Also longer term it would be nice if the update email could take us to the actual post in the thread which is the first new one we haven't read since we last visited the thread.  It seems many other web forum packages now provide such a facility.

Or perhaps they are holding off on this for YaBB V3 which already seems to be in development. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:37pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

juby

Gloucestershire
Reply #51 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 10:23pm

Thanks for logging me for "keeps".

It was a pain in the .... having to go and look for my PSW every time I logged in.

And I like the new look, thanks.

juby

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 11:09pm

Juby,

The old forum did actually let you change your password to one you could remember in Profile as does this one.  Also one was rarely logged out by it so long as one asked to stay logged in for a large number of hours.

As the for Keeps thing may be knocked out if you clear the Cookies on your PC or run other antispam type applications I would still recommend changing your password to one you can easily remember.

NGM
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:38pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #53 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:50pm

As you have pointed out to me a number of times eh NGM. Well of course I have learned my lesson now and have changed my PW to a memorable one.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:03pm

Only 28 to go until your rightful place in the forum hierarchy is restored Dorf. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:36pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Reply #55 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 8:20pm

I am glad that you noticed that NGM, and I hope that you also noticed that I am not cheating by splitting my posts into two or three or even four. I could of course hardly continue to do that after your severe chastisement, could I?
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005 at 8:21pm by dorf »  

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #56 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 9:00am

Daniel,

I've noticed with this version of the YaBB compared to the other one and that is with this version of YaBB you can't use Windows' Undo feature (ctrl-Z) so if we accidently delete a sentence or something we're unable to use the Undo feature.

This feature worked on 1.4 Gold so not sure if this is a setting or something or is a feature that isn't currently supported with 2.1.

Thanks in advance.

Roll Eyes  Cheesy  Grin

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 11:17am

bbb,

Do you not also get a problem with Notificatione emails from SayNoto0870 and clicking the link in them to be taken to the Message?

I have found since we went to YabB V2.1 that the thing just hangs the first time round and I have to close the IE6 window and click the link again (it then always works the second time).  The same thing happens when I visit the forum home page now.  I often have to enter the URL again as it stalls the first time.

Although I have Norton Firewall, Microsoft Antisyware etc I don't think they are causing the problem as I am not getting this issue on any other web forum I use.

Have you also perhaps experienced this problem?
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2005 at 8:35pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #58 - Dec 23rd, 2005 at 12:26pm

Quote:
Do you not also get a problem with Notificatione emails from SayNoto0870 and clicking the link in them to be taken to the Message?

I have found since we went to YabB V2.1 that the thing just hangs the first time round and I have to close the IE6 window and click the link again (it then always works the second time).  The same thing happens when I visit the forum home page now.  I often have to enter the URL again as it stalls the first time...
I very rarely use the subscription feature to avoid getting loads of emails! lol.

I do have the problem with IE6 appearing to hang when visiting the homepage.  The problem is intermittent and I suspect only happens with those of us still using IE6.

Visiting the main homepage doesn't (well shouldn't), as far as I can see, make any difference to forum as that is on a different page (ie separate) but I agree its only recently this has been happening.  Daniel doesn't use static type pages (html) but instead using php so this could (possibly) be related to YaBB and any files it installed.

A work-around for this is to click on the refresh button (the button with the two arrows in a round shape).

I've found this happens more often after I have cleared my cache which I do every so often.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #59 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 8:47pm

The problem I mentioned in my last few posts also exists for FireFox users as well but only after the cache has been cleared (obviously) same as IE6.

Update:

I noticed the Undo (Ctrl-Z) not working problem (discussed in my next to last post) is more related to browser because it works using FireFox but not when using IE6.  Daniel am I therefore correct in assuming this is a 'bug' rather than something that you can "tweak"?  If it is, I'll post in the YaBB forum.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2005 at 9:11pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge