Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND (Read 58,009 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: DISCUSSION FORUM - FORUM DOWNTIME THIS WEEKEND
Reply #15 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:02pm

Another very worrying fault with the new YaBB software is that it turns off the option to receive a new email notification and/or for a Pop Up box to appear when you log in (a new feature of this version) if you have new Private Messages (even if you previously had this enabled in the YaBBV1.4 version).  So bang goes the idea of sending a PM to most forum members about the 084/7 consultation as most of them now won't even now receive that message.  Also to now save the option to say you want to get an email or a pop up message box for a new PM you have to step through all four Options screens one by one saving each in turn.  But if there is a default setting that is applied to all members in YaBB V2why isn't it turned on by default for PM notification, which is surely what most forum members would want.

The only good thing I have seen is that you can actually change your forum name if you ever want to (whilst keeping all your messages) which wasn't possible with the old forum software.

Also you should now get email notifications that take you to the current page in a thread and you shouldn't get multiple emails on a single thread between forum visits.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:40pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #16 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:25pm

Two negative points:

I can't see any way to show dates/times of postings relative to a different timezone, unlike with the last version;

The previous version allowed a view of all posts by a specific user - the only options that seem available now are 5, 10, 15 and 25 posts.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 1:45pm

Time Offset does seem to still be there in User Profile but you have to realise there are now four user Profile screens instead of just one as there was before.  I agree that the facility to view all posts of a forum member has been removed.

The switching off of PM notifications by default (even for those who previously had the facility enablled)  is a very worrying failing.  It means I can't now communicate directly with various forum members by PMs as I was before.  If there is a global option for the Forum Administrator to turn PMs on by deafult unless people decide to over-ride this by turning the facility off then Daniel should globally turn PM notification for all users on.
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2005 at 9:41pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #18 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:16pm

Quote:
Time Offset does seem to still be there in User Profile but you have to realise there are now four user Profile screens instead of just one as there was before.
Thanks - have found this now. Wasn't obvious, at least to me.

As as aside, there are some positive aspects to the new system, including the 'remaining characters' count  and the 'live preview' that I have just noticed. I also prefer the 'look' of the new forum.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:38pm

Quote:
So bang goes the idea of sending a PM to most forum members about the 084/7 consultation as most of them now won't even now receive that message.
Sending it by PM may not make members aware of the consultation anyhow as they may have had this notification turned off.  I believe an email direct to members email accounts is the better option.
Quote:
if there is a default setting that is applied to all members in YaBB V2 why isn't it turned on by default for PM notification, which is surely what most forum members would want.
I agree.  Daniel, is there anyway to change the default PM notification by email and pop-up to on by default?  Obviously those not wanting it can turn it off if needed.

With the exception of subscription and default PM notification I believe this is a better forum that will hopefully fix the problems associated with the last one.

I like the fact you can now move PM's to the 'Storage' area which is handy for those wanting to keep PM's and don't want them kept in the inbox and clutter the inbox up.

I also like the fact that you can recall PM's that haven't been viewed by the receipient.  Similar feature that exists with Outlook for emails.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:43pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:56pm

And update emails now take you to the current active thread page instead of Page 1.  Although they do not take you down to the first new message added on that page since your last visit to the thread, as some other pay forum software does (YaBB is Freeware).  And no multiple emails for new posts in a thread, which is a real boon if you go travelling for a couple of days and cannot view busy threads.  And a more elaborate and a wider range of smilies. Smiley

Its just a pity about losing all subscriptions, turning everyone's PMs off and limiting the number of old posts that can be viewed per member to 25.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:09pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #21 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:58pm

Just a quick message to let you all know that I am just going through changing/updating a few things that have been pointed out here.

Please bear with me as I make the necessary changes/updates.

Thanks again!
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:02pm

Daniel,

Thanks for all your hard work so far and its good to know that you are still working on ironing out the bugs.

Is there any way to resubscribe us to all the threads we were involved in before, to turn PMs on by default for all members and to let us view more than the last 50 posts for any forum member?  Also if there is an option to change the number of posts required to reach each of the various categories of forum membership perhaps you might also like to review that too?
Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2005 at 9:42pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Reply #23 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:06pm

Quote:
Thanks for all your hard work so far and its good to know that you are still working on ironing out the bugs.

Is there any way to resubscribe us to all the threads we were involved in before, to turn PMs on by default for all members and to let  us view more than the last 25 posts for any forum member?

I have sent multiple e-mails to the developers of the forum software over the last few weeks to try and find a solution to the notifications problem.  So far, I have yet to get a solution - Although if it is possible, I will certainly get them transferred across from the old forum.

With the PM situation, I am just waiting to hear back with a work-around to get this activated for all users (and new users) by default.

There is no problem with increasing the number of posts you can see from a forum member, but this along with other points I have on my to-do list, which I am currently working through.

Thanks again
Daniel

Check Out the main website at http://www.saynoto0870.com
IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #24 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:15pm

Quote:
Thanks for all your hard work so far...
I agree, thanks Daniel.  Smiley

NGM, just noticed all those additional smilies you referred to earlier - a lot better than the last forum version.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:17pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #25 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:38pm

bbb_uk wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:15pm:
I agree, thanks Daniel.
Yes, thanks from me too. The new software is a significant improvement with some nice modifications and helpful additions. The changeover appears to have been seamless. Well done!

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #26 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 3:48pm

Yes, well done Daniel, the writing is now much better (unless it's just an illusion now that it's past lunchtime and my eyes are finally focussing properly!).
I think the site is much better now.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #27 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:33pm

Hello everyone! It's me, Dave!

I've had a few problems getting logged in and Daniel has sorted it for now; I'm dave with a small 'd'. I hope to have my big 'D' back soon!

Just checked and my posts say "Dave (ex member)". I hope this will be fixed.  Cry

The new forum has a much better feel and hopefully Yabb Add-Ons will provide better functionality. I do hope this notification problem can be fixed.

Some points I've noticed:
  • On the navigation bar at the top, with the previous version 'Search' was changed to 'Search Forums' so as not to get confused with searching the database.
  • Locked topics aren't locked any more.
  • I've read my new private messages, but it still says they are new and unread.

A vast improvement is with links. No need to make it bold, it does it automatically!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #28 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:35pm

One other thing, I can't find the Modify option to modify a post.

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:54pm

Dave wrote on Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:33pm:
I've had a few problems getting logged in and Daniel has sorted it for now; I'm dave with a small 'd'. I hope to have my big 'D' back soon!
Do you think Daniel is trying to tell you something?   Smiley

I think you have lost you mod status that's why you can't edit any posts.  If you look at the main page of the forum, you are not down as a moderator anymore.  I also noticed Forum Admin isn't down for Geo chat section.

They were all there earlier on so not sure what has gone on.

I never noticed topics weren't locked anymore.  Could that be because they were locked by you Dave and you no longer exist (in a nice way)?

Update:

It's not because you don't exist.  Just checked some threads daniel created and locked on old forum.  They also aren't locked either.
I do think Daniel's "to-do list" is getting larger and larger.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 5:03pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge