Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newcastle Airport annoyance (Read 25,517 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Newcastle Airport annoyance
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:01am

lhrowrker wrote on Jan 18th, 2006 at 8:08pm:
I work at heathrow and all of BAA airports have 0870 numbers which is ridiculous.

Something should be done. This wouldnt happen anywhere else.........

Write to your MP using www.writetothem.com and ask them to sign the Parliamentary motion opposing the use of 0870 numbers.

51 MPs have now signed this motion.  See http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...; Unfortunately in terms of total signatures it is only 571st out of 1468 Early Day Motions put forward by MPs this parliamentary session.   It needs to get closer to the 319 MPs who have signed the EDM on Climate Change (top of the list) or the 312 who have incredibly signed the motion re Lupus Awareness Month.
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2006 at 1:08am by N/A »  

IP Logged

nrg710

UK
Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 10:09am

I have already signed the parliamentary EDM- it's a good starting point.

Have received a response from the Campaign Against Aviation (CAA) reading thus:

Quote:
Tinpusher

I am consulting with colleagues regarding your follow-up letter; I hope to be in a position to respond to you shortly.

Kind regards

Hallowed and Exalted Respondent
Aerodrome Standards Department

Will keep you guys posted.

Seems like they kind of stood up listening to me when I told them I could have ditched in the north sea somewhere without a rescue helicopter in sight, courtesy of Newcastle's 0870 number.

Is there any way that an 0870 number can be dialled from abroad?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 12:22pm

nrg710 wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 10:09am:
I have already signed the parliamentary EDM- it's a good starting point.

Is there any way that an 0870 number can be dialled from abroad?

Dear Tin Pusher,

You aren't that Welsh MP with the unusual name are you - Lembit Opik or something if I recall correctly.  Although if you want to station an aeroplane at Newcastle next summer then possibly not?  Also I don't think I saw his name on the list of 52 signatories of the EDM.

If you wrote in the name of Rustbucket Airways though I assume that wouldn't be on Parliamentary letterhead would it?  As you know such letterhead tends to attract the attention of the senior management at the CAA rather more.  I normally feel able to use my Cllr name on the 084/7 issue (since all telephone users in my ward are oppressed by the 084/7 system).  However I need to revert to plain Mr if I am complaining about something like Ofcom failing to call me for interview following my application to become a member of their Ofcom Consumer Panel and Advisory Committee for England.  Since that pays an allowance/salary clearly that can be seen as an issue involving personal gain rather than one affecting many people living in my ward and/or the telecoms policy of the district council.

Regarding calling 0870 numbers from overseas see Page 3 of Ian Bottom's response to the NTS Way Forward consultation:-

www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/nts_forward/responses/af/bottom.pdf

"Ofcom is aware that callers may experience difficulty in accessing UK non-geographic numbers from outside the UK.  This results from uncertainties over financial returns for routing between international operators caused by the variable cost of calls and imbalances between charges that can be retained or passed on through international arbitrage.  UK callers dialling the non-geographic numbers of other countries from the UK frequently experience the same or similar problems.  Individual countries do not normally permit access to non-geographic numbers from overseas. This is because these services are differently priced from geographic services and it is impossible for an operator in the originating country (which in many cases may not be transmitting the international part of the call) to know what the appropriate price is and for the correct amount to be passed via several carriers and be paid to the terminating operator"

This was in response to a Freedom of Information request email dated 7th July 2005 by Ian Bottom to Ofcom.

Also if anyone is using a Pay as You Go mobile over the North Sea and the call costs them 35p per minute rather than the 5p per minute they were expecting it to then they may find themselves in trouble.  Being in a queue for customer service to have call credit added or being told one's card authorisation has failed just as your plane is running out of fuel could prove to be rather a snag. Shocked
« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2006 at 12:26pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

nrg710

UK
Reply #18 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:22pm

Interesting, I will have to point that one out to the CAA.

FWIW, I don't work for Rustbucket airways and my name isn't really Tinpusher... just a guise of anonymity for an internet forum, y'see. Not that I've got anything to hide.

My real name is irrelevant, but I fly a very well maintained Piper Chieftain (PA31-350), registration G-OSGB engaged on aerial survey missions (get it? OSGB... Ordnance Survey Great Britain...). You can see the photography my company did back in 1999-2000 on Google Earth. And if you want to buy any of that, you can get it through getmapping.com (telephone: 0870 774 0174..... or 01252 849 492).

Quick plug deserved, methinks! Smiley

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 9:54pm

Another point regarding you running out of fuel over the North Sea or whatever.

That is that even if you can call the 0870 number at all once your mobile has roamed on to a foreign network the costs will be truly horrendous so likely to exhaust a PAYG phone's call credit before the emergency has been conveyed.

An interesting one to illustrate is Vodafone with their new Passport deal.  With that arrangement if your phone had roamed on to another Vodafone network then if Newcastle was on a geographic number you could call them out of your inclusive call allowance minutes plus a single 75p charge (on a contract) or at 5p per minute on SmartPlus Pay as You Go off peak plus a single 75p service charge.  However if the number you needed to call was an 0870 this favourable Passport tariff would not apply and you would be paying 99p per minute for however many minutes the call lasted.  When I called Vodafone tonight to get this information the first female adviser assured me 0870 was actually National Rate and would be charged as a National Rate call and only when I disconnected myself from this low intelligence lifeform and called again did I find a male adviser with a brain who knew what 0870 was about and could immediately tell me that 0870 costs 99p per minute and is excluded from Vodafone Passport.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2006 at 4:18pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

nrg710

UK
Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:43pm

Another interesting take on the idea. I am going to chase up the CAA on this, because so far I haven't heard anything back from them.

IP Logged

nrg710

UK
SUCCESS!!!!!
Reply #21 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:21pm

Response from the CAA:

Quote:
I have now had an opportunity to discuss this issue with my colleagues and those within the Directorate of Airspace Policy, and we consider the points you raised are valid.  Therefore, we have contacted the aerodrome inspector, who will discuss this further with Newcastle aerodrome to request they promulgate a geographical number alongside the non-geographical number in the AIP.  In addition, we are arranging to offer guidance in the next 'Notice to Aerodrome Licensees' (NOTAL) advising them that if they choose to promulgate an 08 number in the AIP, they should promulgate an 01 number alongside.

***I win!***

... well, actually it's not me that's won. It's the whole aviation community that has won. And I'd like to thank the contributors on this thread for their input into this as well.

(I did respond to my correspondent at the CAA, thanking that person for their hard work. However I have also requested that in this NOTAL they subsitute the word "should" with the word "shall" in order to avoid ambiguity regarding the need for "01" numbers)
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:22pm by nrg710 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: SUCCESS!!!!!
Reply #22 - Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:36pm

nrg710 wrote on Jan 31st, 2006 at 5:21pm:
... well, actually it's not me that's won. It's the whole aviation community that has won. And I'd like to thank the contributors on this thread for their input into this as well.

(I did respond to my correspondent at the CAA, thanking that person for their hard work. However I have also requested that in this NOTAL they subsitute the word "should" with the word "shall" in order to avoid ambiguity regarding the need for "01" numbers)

Yes many congratulations on this apparent victory.  Beware though that later on they suddenly claim they cannot come up with a geographic number due to it being Voip or an existing contractual commitment that cannot be broken.

I hope you will be posting your success in a forum for pilots such as www.pprune.org/forums/ to encourage other pilots to advance the same argument at their airport.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge