Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Abolish 0870?  What a load of nonsense! (Read 40,236 times)
Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Re: Abolish 0870?  What a load of nonsense!
Reply #30 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 12:16am

The argument that prices will go up and services will get worse if 0870 is abolished, and that the big companies need to pay for their large expensive call centres is flawed.

There was once a time when these companies would have lots of local branches, or offices in every high street maintained by staff.  There was only 1 or 2 lines to each unit, and obviously didn't need complicated call routing software to take calls.

However companies decided that closing these offices, and making staff redundant, and saving on the rent by opening a central contact centre will reduce costs, and make it more efficient for us, the customer.

But now the arguement is that they need to pay for the call routing software, and staff to maintain the call centre, and this must be provided from 0870 revenue.

But money has already been saved by closing the offices, and shedding jobs, so just because the telephony equipment is more expensive, they are saving money overall.

Also, I did have to call an 0870 number the other week, but only because they insisted via e-mail that it was the only way to deal with my enquiry, which was pointing out a fault on their part.  The call was certainly not handled efficiently, but what the company have done efficiently is stop people using the London number!!

I do however agree, there are lots more pressing issues to moan about, such as the cost of petrol, taxes etc, however this site is dedicated to the topic of rip off 0870 numbers.  I'm sure there's compaign sites to raise issues on the other subjects you mention, and I'm pretty sure people actively post on them.  Just because we don't like 0870 prices doesn't mean we accept the other rip offs.  This is after all Rip off Britain, and any sort of rip off and ways to avoid it deserve publicity!!

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

larky77

Reply #31 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 8:08pm

I have temped at a Virgin Mobile during my summer vacations from university for 3 years and I would like you to consider the merits or demerits of their charges, which I feel represent both sides of the coin here.

To call the call centre from a Virgin mobile costs 10p per call flat rate, however long the call lasts. The customer is not charged until the call connects to an operator at the call centre, so even though holding for half an hour on your mobile is extremely frustrating, it doesn't costs the customer a penny. We were told last summer that each call costs the company £2.20 to receive in terms of electricty, wages etc etc. We (the return temping staff) were encouraged to have an average call time of a certain amount (I have thought for a while about this and can't remember the exact time figure) and an average time spent between calls writing up notes of under 30 seconds. We were severely marked down in our fortnightly assessments if we did not reach these and other targets, and our employment terminated at a weeks notice if our performance was deemed to be "contrary to the customer good". Similar assesments were regularly carried out on full time staff. So far from I would assert that this is an extremely positive approach to customer service.

The downside is that calling the call centre from a landline can only be done via an 0845 number - unless you phoned Reception on a geographical number and ask to be transferred - which is, of course, more expensive per se and charges the caller as soon as you dial. However, the reality is that is very rarely happens because the only reason why you would do it is when your phone is not working at all. In turn, there are few reasons why a mobile phone would stop working.

Is that, in total, a fair method of charging the consumer? One possible way of looking at it is, why should I pay more for my calls and my phone in the first place when it is other people's phones who go wrong, and I have no problem with it at all? Not that that helps the person who has the misfortune to have the phone that goes wrong!

Rob

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #32 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 10:44pm

Please forgive the hasty reply, but I have to collect my wife from a Christmas party.

One of the problems with holding is exactly that, holding and paying for it. Listening to Ring No Answer would be acceptable, but BT System X etc cuts one off after six minutes twenty seconds and most mobiles after less than a minute.

And, again, it is the covert nature of the revenue share. One could offer PRS and be open or adopt the US method of TollFree for service - OK a cost to all, but presumably cost-effective in the US?

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #33 - Sep 13th, 2006 at 10:39pm

Redtreble wrote on Dec 13th, 2005 at 4:29pm:
To be honest, as a consumer, what narks me far more than the per minute charge is the overall value of a call.  I'd far rather use an 0870 number to get through to a British call centre than pay nothing to spend ages spelling every single word to an operative in an off-shore call centre, but that's just me I suppose.

Sadly, many of those 0870 calls we pay for, are sent to an outsourced call centre.  So not only do we pay three times more for the call (or in my case, 35p per min during the day on my mobile) but we also are on the phone for three times as long, spelling out unusual words like "Birmingham".  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2006 at 10:41pm by wacs »  

IP Logged

fonebird

Reply #34 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:32am

Redtreble wrote on Dec 13th, 2005 at 6:10pm:
Dave wrote on Dec 13th, 2005 at 5:56pm:
These numbers have been 'sold' as such, and that is where alot of the issues lie. If they had been promoted as a premium paying type, then would businesses have been so quick to sign up? This would have been decided, ultimately, by consumers who would choose whether to do business with such a company.

Er...yes, they would.  Businessmen aren't stupid enough to be fooled by semantics.  It's a revenue stream to them, whatever you choose to call it.

That says it all . . . Does this mean "business women ARE sufficiently stupid"?  Sort your own semantics before (vainly) trying to fool the worthy members of this site.  Is s/he trying to tell us that all persons in business are honest, open and reliable?  - not to mention educated and intelligent!  HAH!  Roll Eyes

~ Link info adjusted # DaveM
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007 at 12:41am by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Dave, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge