Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Number searching (Read 4,402 times)
Webmaster
Ex Member

Number searching
Jan 4th, 2006 at 1:19pm

It would be useful to have the Database searchable by non geographical numer.  Number search is less liable to inacurate input than text input.

IP Logged

trevord

West Sussex, UK
Re: Number searching
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 2:39pm

Quote:
It would be useful to have the Database searchable by non geographical numer.  Number search is less liable to inacurate input than text input.

In order to be of any use, Number search would need to ignore spaces and punctuation.

Is "Webmaster" a webmaster of THIS site?  (I'm questioning this because of the 'Newbie' status.) If not, can I suggest that such misleading names be banned and/or removed?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Number searching
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 3:58pm

Quote:
It would be useful to have the Database searchable by non geographical numer. ...

This feature already exists on the search page.

Quote:
... Number search is less liable to inacurate input than text input.

Not necessarily. The search facility will find words or parts of words. I think that it's best to search using company name, usually by entering just one word, preferably one that I know isn't common to other companies. Obviously, there are always those such as Direct Line which even entering both words will bring up loads of hits with no connection to the company.

For a small company which has one or a few numbers all for different purposes which are all listed in the database, then maybe so. However, large companies (typically those that usually operate out of call centres) such as insurance companies often have many non-geographical numbers which do the same thing. This may be so that they can track how their marketing is doing or know what product/service the caller is ringing about before the call is answered.

Also, some entries give numbers such as switchboards who would probably be able to take and forward on a call for any enquiry. It would therefore be nigh-on impossible to have every single NGN in the database that a company uses.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge