Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Northamptonshire police.. (Read 68,555 times)
Freddie

Northamptonshire police..
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:29pm

..think they are so clever.

Big local media splash about their new 0845 number:

http://www.northants.police.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=10197

website and posters describe it as 'local rate'.

No consideration for mobile/overseas users.

Usual stuff

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Re: Northamptonshire police..
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 8:07am

What I find most devious is that they say calls are charged at the "NORMAL local rate".
If that is not totally misleading then what is??
Trust your local police?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 8:16pm

Surrey Police have recently removed all reference to the words Lo-Call or Local Call against the 0845 number shown on their website.

Suggest you draw Northamptonishire Police's attention to all the ASA guidance about not making claims that 0845 is Local rate.  If Surrey Police have published any brochures with this in you can log it as a formal complaint at www.asa.org.uk ; Unfortunately you can't complain about stuff on websites to the ASA and have to take that up with trading standards.

The ASA have found in favour of my complaint agains Vodafone in January Vodafone Choice magazine that their 0870 number was charged at "local" rates.  Vodafone have been slapped on the wrist and told if they are found doing it again a full blown investigation in to their internal compliance procedures on advertising will be launched (apparently my complaint is also likely to mean an internal  memo from the marketing director at Vodafone to all staff warning them off making such claims again).  Apparently they don't like this to happen as it brings their name in to disrepute.  Or so the ASA tells me.  As for fines old boy well its just not done you know. Wink

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 8:19pm

firestop wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 8:07am:
What I find most devious is that they say calls are charged at the "NORMAL local rate".

Doesn't matter they are still in breach of ASA codes and Ofcom guidance to make any claims that 0845 is a Local rate call.  Normal doesn't help at all.  And anyhow the 0845 is not the NORMAL local rate.  The BT Option 1 rate is and that's a completely different rate off peak.

If they said it was Lo-Call then ironically that technically speaking would be true as the useless shower at Ofcom still haven't taken action to force BT to stop the use of this brand name with 0845 numbers.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 10:20pm

Freddie wrote on Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:29pm:
..think they are so clever.

Big local media splash about their new 0845 number:

http://www.northants.police.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=10197

website and posters describe it as 'local rate'.

No consideration for mobile/overseas users.

Usual stuff

CRETINS.

These morons never learn. The events of last July should show the futility of using these numbers, yet the blind follow the blind, with the stupid (Ofcom) refusing to intervene because their hols in the Caribbean would be in jeopardy. What a crooked lot these people are. Unethical *and* idiotic.

Needless to say, and when I have time, I will now be writing to the Chief Cont of Northants to point out what a complete idiot he/she is.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 10:42pm

idb wrote on Feb 3rd, 2006 at 10:20pm:
Needless to say, and when I have time, I will now be writing to the Chief Cont of Northants to point out what a complete idiot he/she is.

Unfortunately many Chief Constables seem to assign correspondence to their public email address to some lowly correspondence sergeant for reply.  Like all these faceless organisations I'm sure he does get a report on the total number of complaints to him per quarter or per annum on any one topic.  So if lots of people email or write on the issue it will register.

The problem with the Police is they always have the attitude they are right and that anyone who challenges what they do is a sinister troublemaker and malcontent.  And as we have seen with poor Mr Menenzes they have a frightening amount of power to manipulate the facts to try and divert criticism away from themselves even when they have made a gross error of jusgement.  County Councillors get some say as a load of them are on the Police Authority but we lowly district councillors don't get a look in there.  Anyone who lives in Northampton writing to a County Councillor who is on Northamptonshire Police Authority woule be a good idea.

If Northamptonshire County Council have not had an 0845 up to now to bring it in at this point shows total braindeadedness when even the useless Pito who advises them and your bete noir Mr Philip Webb know perfectly well by now how unhappy the public is about these numbers.

If the Police want their 101 numbers then why do they propose launching these number too????

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 7:35pm

I was going to post on this when Northants Police' propaganda rag (I mean newsletter) landed on my doormat last month with a big article for they're new money spinner.
See it here: http://www.northants.police.uk/pages/homebeat/Jan06_Page1.pdf
Also on they're website http://www.northants.police.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=10197

I have now put a complaint in on the ASA website which they will deal with as this drivel has appeared in print.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 8:52pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 6th, 2006 at 7:35pm:
I have now put a complaint in on the ASA website which they will deal with as this drivel has appeared in print.

Your complaint to the ASA will be very effective if they have made a clear misleading claim that the calls are at Local rate.  The ASA told me that my complaint about Vodafone Choice's claim that 0870 was "charged at your telephone providers local rates" was the first complaint that had been made to them about a clear cut breach of their new rules on 084/7 call prices.  So taking the trouble to make a complaint has much more impact with the guilty party and the ASA than you might think.  ASA also said that they thought most advertisers were well aware of new rules which is why there had not been a flood of complaints as since the change since most advertisers had changed the terms they now use.

It will then be an open and shut case that the ASA will refer them to their recent guidances for advertisers and that they cannot go on calling it local rate and must state 3p or 4p per minute as the maximum rate a typical BT customer may pay.  Its a rather contentious area as to whether they quote the 3p or 4p per minute fee as only BT Light User and In Contact Plus customers pay 4p per minute but there again BT Options 1, 2 and 3 are all discount schemes.  With 0870 the issue doesn't arise as 7.51p per minute (BT Together rate) and 7.91p per minute (Light User rate) all round up to 8p per minute.

The ASA assure me that complaints that they rule favourably on (as they almost certainly will with yours) result in a very firm letter to the head marketing person at the organisation concerned pointing out why there communciation is in error and why they cannot go on describing the number this way - if the company or organisation does it again and there is another complaint there is a full blown ASA investigation and hearing on the matter.

I suggest that the response to your complaint letter is circulated to members of the Police Authority if possible.  Or are you a serving Police officer in which case that may be a tricky thing for you to do.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:41pm

no i'm not a copper & I'll be lobbying my MP & councillors to get the Police to keep open at least one landline number after the cut-over period for access from mobiles, international & us.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:41pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:46pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:41pm:
no i'm not a copper & I'll be lobbying my MP & councillors to get the Police to keep open at least one landline number after the cut-over period for access from mobiles, international & us.

Their main previous 01 number will almost certainly continue to operate.  Or at least that has been the case with Surrey Police who adopted their - 0845 number three or four years ago.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:52pm

it states in their propaganda that the existing number will be phased out when the public "become used to the new number".

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 8:54pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:52pm:
it states in their propaganda that the existing number will be phased out when the public "become used to the new number".
By which time Northamptonshire Police will have been swallowed up in one of Charles Clarke's super-force amalgamations so it's all a bit academic anyway.

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 9:37pm

Heinz wrote on Feb 7th, 2006 at 8:54pm:
By which time Northamptonshire Police will have been swallowed up in one of Charles Clarke's super-force amalgamations so it's all a bit academic anyway.

And I will still quite reasonably expect to be able to contact my police force at the cost of a  normal geo number, whether or not my call then gets forwarded to a call centre in Glasgow or Uttar Pradesh.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2006 at 10:23pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 7th, 2006 at 5:52pm:

If you call Surrey Police and tell them you called on their Guildford geographic number they always maintain it is about to be withdrawn.  This is utter twoddle as the 0845 is only a Number Translation Service and has to be redirected to a real phone line.

Saying that the old geographic number will soon be withdrawn is on the standard propaganda training sheets of the scam telcos who sell these 084 and 087 numbers.  People who work in call centres always mindlessly quote propaganda because anyone who doesn't follow the script or has an independent minded thought of their own is soon fired for gross misconduct Roll Eyes

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:58am

I've now written to the Chief Constable of Northants with copies to the Police Authority, the Home Office, various Ofcom bods, and to my MP, assuming the mail address is correct. I will report back if and when anything happens. I have asked that the discrimination against callers from overseas is ended by ensuring a geographic number is published with equal prominence to the shown rip-off number.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge