Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Northamptonshire police.. (Read 68,560 times)
NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Re: Northamptonshire police..
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:06am

idb wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 1:58am:
I've now written to the Chief Constable of Northants with copies to the Police Authority, the Home Office, various Ofcom bods, and to my MP, assuming the mail address is correct.

But have you and other people on this site also lodged a formal complaint with the ASA that it breaches their Stop The call Confusion, Hanging on The Telephone and other recent guidances on how the cost of an 0845 call must be directly described in a leaflet or a magazine?  Apparently the ASA have hardly had any complaints under the guidance (mine against Vodafone over their incorrect claims that 0870 was charged at "local call rates" in Vodafone Choice magazine was their first the ASA say).  The more complaints the ASA receive the harder they are likely to beat Northants Police's knuckles by pointing out to them how many members of the public have been upset.

You can lodge your complaint with the ASA at www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/complaints_form/

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:17am

Whilst I agree with the points about the ASA, I'll leave that to others as the ASA is essentially a UK-centric organization. It may well be that I can lodge a complaint, however I suspect it would be better placed if such a complaint came from a resident.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:25am

Quote:
You can lodge your complaint with the ASA at www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_complain/complaints_form/
And, in fact, this complaints form appears to require a UK address. I'm sure I could enter a foreign address, but I'd bet that the complaint would get filed as trash.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:35am

idb wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:25am:
And, in fact, this complaints form appears to require a UK address. I'm sure I could enter a foreign address, but I'd bet that the complaint would get filed as trash.

I don't see that they can stipulate where you live.

The only requirement is that you have read the publication and been misled by it.

The ASA are very methodical and organised in always responding properly to any communication.   If they can't accept your complaint they will write to tell you.

Why not give it a go.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:36am by N/A »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #19 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:49am

I was under the impression that I needed an actual publication 'advertising' the misleading info rather than a web page with misleading info in order to make a complaint.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:59am

idb wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:49am:
I was under the impression that I needed an actual publication 'advertising' the misleading info rather than a web page with misleading info in order to make a complaint.

Post 1 on Page 1 of this thread refers to Posters, which would come within the ASA's jurisdiction for Complaints.  But I suppose we would need the person starting this thread to tell us where those Posters are published or what form they take to make a valid complaint the ASA can follow up.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason the ASA reply by post to complaints filed on their website is so that they can sniff out the uk non residents?
Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2006 at 8:59am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Freddie

Reply #21 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 4:29pm

Not all posters it seems - I was unaware, until I contacted the ASA about a poster for National rail Enquiries 0845 number (local rate...) that it is was not covered because it was advertising a service provided by the rail companies jointly. It didn't seem to matter that the rail company whose logo was on the poster was the organisation I actually complained about. I'm still confused by that decision!

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #22 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:51pm

idb wrote on Feb 8th, 2006 at 2:49am:

It has appeared in print

As I mentioned in a previous post, this has been printed in Northants Police Home Beat publication which is distributed to homes in Northamptonshire. See http://www.northants.police.uk/pages/homebeat/Jan06_Page1.pdf for a copy of January's front page.
It's printed by Intermedia Corporate Services Ltd. with Milton Keynes phone number.
I kept hold of a copy precisely because this new number was front page splash. I normally put it in the bin TBH.

BTW, I got a reply by email from one member of the Police Authority. He says he'll relay a response to me when he puts the points to the police.

The original geo number which no one has mentioned yet is Northampton 01604 700700
or Wellingborough 01933 440333
Corby 01536 400400
Daventry 01327 300300
Kettering 01536 411411 all answered in the same contact centre as far as I can gather.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2006 at 7:08pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

sixpence

still finding way round forum!
Reply #23 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:23am

Do you know if the police forces take a revenue share of non geos to help towards their increasing costs caused by the rising number of calls they have to make to mobiles owned by the public?

How do so many area different area codes get answered in the same contact centre anyway?

Always willing to consider the other side of the issue.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #24 - Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:50pm

sixpence wrote on Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:23am:
Do you know if the police forces take a revenue share of non geos to help towards their increasing costs caused by the rising number of calls they have to make to mobiles owned by the public?

That's why we pay a large chunk of our council tax to the police authority. Precisely so they can provide a service. Mobile termination charges are as evil as non-geographic numbers in my opinion. Two wrongs don't = right.

To find out for sure where the revenue goes would mean a FOI request. you may even find that it is their telecom supplier that is taking all the revenue.

sixpence wrote on Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:23am:
How do so many area different area codes get answered in the same contact centre anyway?

Simply by programming the appropriate telephone exchanges to route the calls in a certain way.
Exactly the same way as multiple Non-Geographic numbers are answered in single or multiple locations. It's a myth that geo numbers are inflexible created by the telephone carriers most likely simply because it's not as lucrative for them as Geo numbers.

It's as simple as me signing up for a VOIP service & having multiple geographic numbers in multiple locations or even countries. Telephone numbers do not have to physically exist. They can simply exist in software on a telephone exchange which may be programmed to handle calls to that number in many ways.
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2006 at 2:55pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 1:42pm

Latest
I received a response from ASA saying that they can't investigate because it appears in a newsletter providing public information rather than advertising a product.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 4:31pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 11th, 2006 at 1:42pm:
Latest
I received a response from ASA saying that they can't investigate because it appears in a newsletter providing public information rather than advertising a product.

Surely since the telecoms service running the number make a profit on every call receive and/or pass some of that profit on to Northamptonshire Police the item in the newsletter does in fact constitute an advertisement.

Say you are not happy with their decision and ask what their escalation procedure is at the ASA for reviewing the way they have interpreted your complaint.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #27 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:03pm

I intend to.

Isn't Google great? http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/testimonials.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:11pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:34pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:03pm:
I intend to.  Isn't Google great? http://www.windsor-telecom.co.uk/testimonials.htm

It seems the Chief Constable of Northants Police is Smart by name but not by nature.

And Windsor Telecom are some of the biggest rogues unhung in the NGN industry!  How did a Police force end up in bed with them. Shocked

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #29 - Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:53pm

Windsor even call 0871 National Rate  Angry
Imagine the spin they give the Police to repeat to the public  Cry
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2006 at 6:54pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, Dave, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge