Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Northamptonshire police.. (Read 68,559 times)
saynonto0871

UK
Re: Northamptonshire police..
Reply #45 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:56am

Don't worry, I've got them already

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #46 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 1:28am

UK Info v11 offers this info

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE POLICE
THRAPSTON ROAD
FINEDON
WELLINGBOROUGH

01933 681464

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #47 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:46pm

yes and.....?

IP Logged

a very nice man
Supreme Member

England
Reply #48 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 4:07pm

I assume that last question was aimed at me.
Well we are all here to find ways around the various rip off numbers, and it's down to all of us to share the information where it will help others.
Your post, saynonto0871, on 08 Feb included the following...

The original geo number which no one has mentioned yet is Northampton 01604 700700
or Wellingborough 01933 440333
Corby 01536 400400
Daventry 01327 300300
Kettering 01536 411411

As you can see, my offering differs from the information you supplied. As such, I am sharing it so we have another way in.

Wooden balance bikes for only £35 + postage. www.easycyclers.co.uk
IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #49 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:35pm

Sorry I got the impression you hadn't read the thread properly
There's no need now really as they are supplying an international access no +44 1604 888007 it's on their website.
They have now, finally removed reference to local rate on their website after my last email to them pointing out that Trading Standards  consider this description illegal.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:35pm by saynonto0871 »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 10:30pm

saynonto0871 wrote on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:35pm:
They have now, finally removed reference to local rate on their website after my last email to them pointing out that Trading Standards  consider this description illegal.

Well it seems that persistence pays off then.  But I wonder how many call centre staff still tell customers "its only charged at the BT local rate sir" if challenged on their use of an 0845 phone number.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #51 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 10:50pm

Response received earlier today wrt my compliaint regarding the use of 0845:

<<
The Chief Constable has asked me to look into the issues you raised in your email of 24 February. Thank you for raising your concerns. I will not respond to your accusations of 'cluelessness' or 'incompetence'. Frankly such comments devalue the dialogue, are offensive, and distract from some of the valuable issues you have raised.

The introduction of the 08453 is predominantly about serving the people of Northamptonshire. Because of changes in technology, policing and centralisation of control rooms over the years, the Force had a legacy of over 4 different main numbers from different exchanges. It was technically impossible to introduce the kind of systems now required of us without a single number, and we did not want those people in the county living outside the 01604 range to suffer hikes in phone call charges to us. In addition, we were at our capacity for direct dial numbers. We also had to introduce a single number to comply with the Government's quite proper aspiration that within the next three years there would be a national single non-emergency number (SNEN). This moves us toward that.

We have checked with the local main telephony service providers for landline base phones and they have confirmed that our new 08453 number is indeed charged at local rates. Our view on mobile telephony is that the caller has the choice of contacting the police via a number of media (landline, mobile, email, and even text - something we are investigating) and so when ringing on non-emergency business, it is down to the caller to make the choice of landline or mobile, and a note has been added to publicity to warn callers that charges from mobile networks may vary. However, we have also contacted the five main mobile cellular telephony providers and have confirmed that the maximum/worst case scenarios for charges to call an 08453 number are as follows:

Three Mobile = 15p /min flat charge
Orange = 10p/ min - 35p/ min (dependant on tariff)
Vodaphone = 12p/ min - 15p/ min
O2 = 8p/ min
T- Mobile - 10p/ min - 40p/ min (pay as you go being the maximum)
Virgin - 10p/ min - 15p/ min

We do not consider these to be any more prohibitive than other choices offered to mobile telephone users.

I can confirm that no revenue to Northamptonshire Police is raised by introduction of this number, although there may be in-house savings in due course as we will be able to release costly direct dial number rentals. So it isn't the case that there is a payment to the police to profit from the use of the 08453 number. That information will also be noted on our website or material publicising the number, so that this suspicion is allayed, if indeed it was there.

I take your point entirely regarding contact from overseas. Whilst we do not have much communication from overseas via the telephone (most comes via the website), we have now published a non 08453 DDI telephone number to field those calls. This is detailed on the website and should answer your concern in that regard,

We have independently asked the local Trading Standards Office to examine our website and procedures. Whilst we are not subject to some of the ASA regulations on the matter, we wanted to stick to the spirit of the guidance on use of SNENs, and we have been assured that these matters are being handled properly and that we are compliant, in line with the many other forces and organisations (like Trading Standards) who offer 'local-rate' numbers.

Whilst you may not agree with the use of the 0853 number, I hope that this answers the more direct and salient points you raised with the Chief Constable, who has been briefed on this matter.

Your email was extremely useful - thank you for contacting us. I am not intending to write to the agencies and individuals you copied in on your email, but I will, of course, brief Police Authority colleagues on our response to you, and you are, of course,  free to pass on these comments to your contacts.
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #52 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 10:59pm

idb wrote on Mar 3rd, 2006 at 10:50pm:
Response received earlier today wrt my complaint regarding the use of 0845: ...and we did not want those people in the county living outside the 01604 range to suffer hikes in phone call charges to us.
But we have caused a hike in the charges to those living within the area as well.
You have achieved a +44 entry. Well done idb. Too late to write a calm comment about the rest of the response and I should not like to detract (sorry, distract?) from the progress.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Mar 3rd, 2006 at 11:19pm

We have checked with the local main telephony service providers for landline base phones and they have confirmed that our new 08453 number is indeed charged at local rates.

Are you going to attempt to challenge the continued commission by the Police of an Offence under Part III of the Consumer Protection Act 1987?

See 

Para 1.3 Page 1 of www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/oftel_0845/responses/leicester_cc.pdf

and

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Hanging+on+the+telephone+on+and+on+and+ on.htm

and

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Stop+the+call+confusion.htm

and

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...; amp;SESSION=875

and

www.cap.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/CAP+rings+the+changes+for+telecoms+prov iders.htm

and Pages 5 and 6 of the below minutes from my own district council where we agreed policy to stop the future use of 0845 and 0870 numbers.

www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/pdf/1/s/Council_Minutes_190705.pdf
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2006 at 11:22pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #54 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 8:13am

Response received earlier today wrt my compliaint regarding the use of 0845:

Three Mobile = 15p /min flat charge
Orange = 10p/ min - 35p/ min (dependant on tariff)
Vodaphone = 12p/ min - 15p/ min
O2 = 8p/ min
T- Mobile - 10p/ min - 40p/ min (pay as you go being the maximum)
Virgin - 10p/ min - 15p/ min

Same wrong info again!!

Quote:
and we did not want those people in the county living outside the 01604 range to suffer hikes in phone call charges to us.

But they are all in a local call area for BT LUS Users & there is no difference in call cost for the rest of us, even if a Glasgow number was used!

Quote:
We have checked with the local main telephony service providers for landline base phones and they have confirmed that our new 08453 number is indeed charged at local rates.

Same rubbish I got. I suggested to the Chief Inspector that the telecom providers, especially Windsor Telecom were not best placed to offer advice on this matter as the wrongly advertise these numbers themselves & Trading Standards rulings are a better bet.

Quote:
40p/ min,  We do not consider these to be any more prohibitive than other choices offered to mobile telephone users

On What planet

Quote:
in line with the many other forces and organisations (like Trading Standards) who offer 'local-rate' numbers. 

Have you learned nothing from my emails? THEY ARE NOT LOCAL RATE!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 9:35am

saynonto0871 wrote on Mar 4th, 2006 at 8:13am:
Have you learned nothing from my emails? THEY ARE NOT LOCAL RATE!!

There seems to be a great deal of similarity between the use of 084 and 087 numbers and the story of the Emperors New Clothes I often feel.  That is that the camp followers just go along with the rubbish that they think will impress their superiors regardless of the actual truth.

I suggest idb and 0871 draw this latest falsehood to the attention of all of the members of the local Police Authority.

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #56 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 12:11pm

I will be.
I originally emailed the Chairperson of the Police Authority who passed it on to the Chief Constable's office, who gave the replies.
I will be getting back to the Police authority regarding the points that the Police have not addressed properly or just ignored.

Even getting this far with their website has been like pulling teeth.

IP Logged

davis

Reply #57 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:54am

Interesting to read that Northampton Police are insisting that calls to 0845 are charged at Local Rate. This must be something that BT are now spinning because I recently spoke to a company about their claim that their 0845 no was charged at Local Rate. Their reply was that since BT had recently reduced the rate of 0845 at peak time to 3p per minute it did equate to a local rate call! (also equates to any call of course but local rate served their purpose) I replied that that was as may be but was excluded from my inclusive package-their reply was that that was outside their control and whilst they understood my concern and could not understand, as 0845 was now the same price, why it was excluded suggested I take the matter up with my phone supplier or Ofcom. At the very least seems a better spin than the police. Any ideas on this new spin on 0845?

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:08am

davis wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:54am:
Any ideas on this new spin on 0845?

It is a standard lie given to them by their cynical telecoms supplier to try to justify their continued use of these scam numbers.

These standard lies continue to be repeated on BT's website selling these numbers.

See http://www.bt.com/btcom-bin/btcom/store/product/catalog.jsp?tab=Phone+lines+%26+...

This is in spite of their previous submissions to Ofcom acknowledging that 0845 and 0870 are not in fact local and national rates and also in spite of the comments some months ago of the CEO of BT Retail that ideally these 084 and 087 numbers should just be "swept away".  See:-

http://business.scotsman.com/banking.cfm?id=764772005

I suggest everyone here emails BT Retail CEO, ian.livingston@bt.com and BT overall Chief Executive, ben.verwaayen@bt.com, asking how they can justify the use of these disgraceful lo-call/local and national rate lies on their own BT business web site
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:13am by N/A »  

IP Logged

saynonto0871

UK
Reply #59 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 8:22pm

New development, website amended as follows:
Calls to 0845 numbers from a fixed line are charged to a maximum of 5p per minute. Network Tariffs apply when calling 0845 numbers from a mobile phone. Northamptonshire Police does not profit from the provision of this number

Price up to 5p/min

Northampton police does not profit.....

Ha, they've either been taken for a ride big time & signed a really crap contract which allows the telecoms supplier to print money or the the cost of the contract for telecoms services was artificially low due to projected the call revenue.

So they're either p1ssing tax payers money don the drain or they're getting profit in kind.

FOI request Re: call revenues and telecoms contracts anyone?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge