Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Essex County Council (Read 70,739 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Essex County Council
Feb 8th, 2006 at 3:16pm

This is my first posting although I have been using the website for some time, since I saw it mentioned in The Times.   I think it is a wonderful website and I recommend it to everyone I speak to about telephone numbers.   For some time before I discovered the site, I had been becoming increasingly furious about the value of my phone package decreasing as the number of NGNs is allowed to proliferate and had written to OFCOM on the matter in 2004 (with, of course, no result).

Anyway, I have made an FOIA request to Essex County Council who have recently changed to NGNs and are publicising them (without any guide to price) in the publicity magazine they distribute county-wide.   I have already added their main no to the site and will add further when I receive them.   Have also addedd Anglia Ruskin University who are going NGN I think.

As I pointed out to ECC, most people's contacts with them are to complain, why should they have to pay to do this when they already fund the council through taxation and council tax?   I will post response when received.   I also copied in Lord Hanningfield (Leader of ECC) who sent a rude non-reply and my local councillor who has totally ignored me - will pursue!

Re Swansea University, am surprised by what they say about charging - didn't think this was allowed.    Certainly, we have just received 200 pages of documents in response to an FOIA request on an unrelated matter from another local authority with no charges mentioned at all.

Re Police Forces, has anyone tried contacting the Chairman of the Police Authority who, as a politican, MAY have a little more idea of dealing with the public?   I intend to do this for Essex police who I fear may be thinking of changing to NGNs.

Thanks again for everyone's work, it is very helpful.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Essex County Council
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:28am

I hope I am posting this in the correct place but I need some help with a reply.   In addition to my FOIA request to ECC, I also made a complaint via their CEO, Cust Services Manager (Jane Hallett) and the council leader, Lord Hanningfield and my local cllr - the last 2 refuse to make any proper reply and I just receive a rude brush off every time I make contact - odd as they SHOULD need my vote!   I first received the usual standard nonsense to which I replied and have now received a further response which is more detailed.  However, I feel that there are still arguments which could be raised and this may be worthwhile as they have moved a very small amount between letters 1 & 2.  I feel I lack the expertise to make the best possible reply (and I am a bit confused with all the information on the site, particularly where it becomes more technical).  Is there a way I can scan my letter onto the site to avoid having to re-type what is a fairly lengthy document ( I am not very technical)?   One particular point, they still say "The cost of a call to a 0845 nymber is charged at the local rate from anywhere in the UK if called from a BT line."   I am sure I have seen something on the site but cannot be certain and I don't want to get it wrong.   They also refused my challenge to give me details of any benefit to ME from the use of 0845, but I expected that.  I had mentioned COI guidelines, quoting bits, they focus on 3.53 while choosing to ignote 3.50 & 3.51!

Of course, if telecoms providers were compelled to include 087x/084x nos in their inclusive packages, that would help a lot of people.

Any advice would be appreciated.   Please keep up the good work.
Barbara

IP Logged

omy

I came - I saw - I went
home.

Re: Essex County Council
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 2:18pm

Until you are able to tell more details of the actual complaint you made to ECC, I think it will be hard to elicit any advice from forum members.
Even an overall'gist' of what it's all about would help.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 3:00pm

I was complaining about their change to 0845 nos without providing geog equivalents (although these can be found by trawling their website, I have a real thing that they should be provided with equal prominence to any NGN), their failure to provide any cost guide on their Essex Matters publication which is delivered to all Essex residents, the fact that I am certain (although this will be confirmed by FOIA response) that they didn't consider the issue of 0845 increasing the costs of many Essex residents etc - the usual sort of complaint we all have with the use of NGNs.  If I could work out how to post their reply on thie website, it might help.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 15th, 2006 at 11:28am:
I am sure I have seen something on the site but cannot be certain and I don't want to get it wrong.   They also refused my challenge to give me details of any benefit to ME from the use of 0845, but I expected that.  I had mentioned COI guidelines, quoting bits, they focus on 3.53 while choosing to ignote 3.50 & 3.51!

Of course, if telecoms providers were compelled to include 087x/084x nos in their inclusive packages, that would help a lot of people.

Any advice would be appreciated.   Please keep up the good work.

See

Para 1.3 Page 1 of www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/oftel_0845/responses/leicester_cc.pdf

and

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Hanging+on+the+telephone+on+and+on+and+...

and

www.asa.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/Stop+the+call+confusion.htm

and

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=28872%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&...

www.cap.org.uk/cap/news_events/news/2005/CAP+rings+the+changes+for+telecoms+prov...

and Pages 5 and 6 of the below minutes from my own district council where we agreed policy to stop the future use of 0845 and 0870 numbers.

www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/pdf/1/s/Council_Minutes_190705.pdf

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:07pm

Have now received a response to my FOIA request which I think is quite helpful and very interesting.   I am going to retype the letter here, minus the opening and ending.

"1) Enclosed is extract from the Minutes of the Corporate Management Group meeting held on 16th March 2005, plus supporting paper.
2) No briefings were provided to Councillors in relation to the proposal to move to 0845 numbers and this was not discussed specifically at any Councillor meeting.   However, enclosed is a copy of an email sent in resopnse to a query from the Cabinet Member for Finance and Resources about the costs of moving to 0845 numbers.   This issue was not progressed further.   
3) PLease find enclosed a copy of a) Research Study conducting [?ed] by MORI on behalf of Essex County Council, written in Sept 2003; b) an extract from the Access to Services Position Statement Final 17/01/2003 p9-15; c) our Access to Services POsition Statement Feb 2003, please refer specifically to p14-19 regarding telephone contact with the Council.
4) No votes were taken by Councillors on this issue and the proposal to move to 0845 numbers was not discussed at any member meetings.
5) Please find enclosed a list of numbers you would need as a Governor of an Essex School.  [NB all geographical]
In addition to the numbers on this list, please call Jo Lang on 01245 436064 for Governor Training and GOvernor Development.   All enquiries relating to Higher Education Funding should be directed to the details listed under Student & Pupil Financial Support.
The Geographical number for your local Highways Office is 01279 642500.
The Geographical number for Trading Standards (Business Enquiries) is 01206 222307.
Trading Standards for consumers is delivered for Essex by Consumer Direct.  Their number is 0845 404 0506.   The geographical number for this is 01438 737460 as this service is based in Hertfordshire and is not managed by Essex County Council.[This, in itself I find disgraceful]
You may reuse all of this information free of charge in any format or medium.   You must reuse it accurately and not in a misleading context."
Lend ends with writer saying she is leaving ECC on 24/2/06 and usual re if not satisfied.
email from officer to Member CC d 8/3/05
"David [another CC] would like to speak to you about the charges for the 0845 numbers that will be used in the Contact Centre.   I have spoken to Jane Hallett, who tells me we will "break even" on calls being received from within Essex as they are charged locally to us and we in turn charge local rates.   However, we only charge local rates for calls originating outside Essex and therefore effectively subsidise these calls as they are charged to us at national rate.   Jane estimates (very generously apparently) that total call costs to ECC, including line rental will be around £20,000 per year.   Hope that makes sense!
David thinks there is an opportunity to generate income on these numbers, to at least break even on call costs, if not make a profit.   He asked me to drop you an email and will catch up with you at some point soon."

Apols for any typos in these docs.

Very interesting, the only member involvement was to see if the CC could make money out of its residents!!!  I will post the geog nos I received in the next few days.   I find this response very interesting in that it is in total contrast to the Police Authority replies and that from Norfolk CC.  Do they actually want to get out of NGNs but don't know how?   This also explains why members refuse to respond.   I am sure this will interest the forum member who is also a district cllr (is it Non-Geographical Man - I have forgotten, sorry).

~ Edited by Dave: Highlighting added
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2008 at 10:56am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:16pm

Just thought I would add here that I have posted my very interesting reply to FOIA application under that thread.
   Basically, I got everything I asked for and it is very illuminating eg councillors were not involved in the decision at all!

I didn't use the format on that thread for my request as I hadn't found it by then.

I would like to thank those who posted helpful links on this thread, particularly NonGeographicalMan (found name now!) whose link to Mole Valley is very helpful, partic as the district council where my husband works is planning to go for a Contact Centre and I keep berating him about the evils of 0845 numbers although they do say they are not planning any!

I also made further contact with OFCOM (yes I know they're useless but we have to use what we have).   Some of the links in their consultation document which they supplied are actually helpful in my battle with ECC.

One more thing, Jane Hallett of ECC said in her reply to my complaint that their monitoring has only picked up 1 complaint re use of 0845 so, if any other members of this foum live in Essex or have to phone it, here is her email so that you can add your complaints: jane.hallett@essexcc.gov.uk

Edited:
Threads have been merged. The FOI response which this is referred to is above, in the previous posting.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2008 at 11:50am by Dave »  

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:45pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:07pm:
Very interesting, the only member involvement was to see if the CC could make money out of its residents!!!  I will post the geog nos I received in the next few days.   I find this response very interesting in that it is in total contrast to the Police Authority replies and that from Norfolk CC.  Do they actually want to get out of NGNs but don't know how?   This also explains why members refuse to respond.   I am sure this will interest the forum member who is also a district cllr (is it Non-Geographical Man - I have forgotten, sorry).

Barbara,

I think the rather more helpful attitude by the County Council reflects the fact that whatever their faults may be County Councils are a more open and accountable form of organisation than the Police.  If Council staff get a question about their administrative decisions (especially under FOI) they are likely to try to be as helpful as possible within reason.  By contrast in my experience most of the Police force has an attitude of "we know better" and "you are a deviant trying to buck the system" to any attempt by the public to query or question the way that they operate.  It also seems that many Police FOI officers have received active training in how to circumvent COI requests by using the various possible exemptions.  Whereas  the Essex FOI officer sounds like they are personally sympathetic to stopping the misuse of these numbers by councils.  Note they indicated they were about to leave the County Council which usually makes staff much more inclined to act in the way they personally feel is right.

As a district councillor I can honestly say that most of the time many of the Councillors haven't a clue about the detail of many of the decisions taken by their own organisation and that they only get to sign off the big strategic top level decisions on many matters and that far too much power is left in the hands of officers to decide what is considered to be mere detail on many matters.  And unfortunately the type of telephone number used is considered a matter of detail that can be delegated to their IT manager in many councils.  That is what had happened at my council where 0845 numbers had just started to be used (although only for a credit card payment line and the new recycling waste collection scheme rather than the main switchboard).

I am happy to report that as an organisation with about 300 permanent staff that we do not have a contact centre and matters are handled directly with the public by staff in each department on a normal geographic number.  I hope that we will never have a central customer service contact centre or 084/7 numbers for such activities if I have anything to do with it, although unfortunately the government currently seems to be planning to try to get rid of us and replace us with a vast unitary councils crossing the West Sussex and Surrey County Council boundaries by 2009 - no doubt that would handle all customer enquiries through a vast faceless contact centre - quite possibly based in India if current trends are anything to go by.

Sadly too many of my fellow district councillors like to bask in a sort of worthy civic glory but do not often question the detail of business decisions put in front of them.  For instance I have just tried to challenge an officer led plan to hike our car park charges by 14% to 30% on the alleged basis that this is preferable to increasing our element of the Council Tax by 0.5% (so only 0.05% on the actual Council Tax people pay) due to government funding cuts.  But only two of my other fellow councillors on the ruling group wanted to think about this and the rest just went along with their heads in the sand saying what the officers had recommended was right and not wanting to know about killing off our town centres and pushing everyone to use out to Tesco and Bluewater etc in the long run.

You may be interested in Ofcom's just launched consultation on a new National Telephone Number Plan.  This suggests a new class of NGNs beginning 03 that will be charged at geographic rates and included in inclusive calling plans.  But 084/7 numbers will be able to continue without proper price disclosure that they are premium rate so what incentive will there be to move?

See www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/numberingplan/?a=87101 and www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/numberingreview/ and
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006 at 2:44pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 2:14pm

Thank you NonGeographicalMan.  As I said, my husband is a long standing and senior officer with a district council and has recently lost the battle about contact centres; however, "his" councillors take a very involved role and he was very surprised that the county lot had not been involved in this decision.  This probably also explains why the leader and my local county councillor won't have an opinion on this matter, but I intend to ambush the latter at a future parish council meeting in my village. Your comments mean that I will have to keep my husband asking about our council and 0845s although when ever he asks it is always denied!   I suspect that the staff and councillors dealing with these issues know very little about the detail and are pushed by the companies selling the systems!   Re Police Authorities, one of our more aware county councillors, who is also a district councillor, is Chairman of Essex Police Authority so I am planning to make contact with him so he is at least aware of the issues.

Note what you say about move to unitaries although, going off topic a little, there is hope the Govt and particularly Blair will find it all too much in the short term but certainly an issue.   Interest by your area as I have a son working for Guildford Borough Council at the start of his career.

Will peruse OFCOM consultation.  My husband wonders if I think of much else BUT telephone numbers!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 24th, 2006 at 2:14pm:
Thank you NonGeographicalMan.  As I said, my husband is a long standing and senior officer with a district council and has recently lost the battle about contact centres; however, "his" councillors take a very involved role and he was very surprised that the county lot had not been involved in this decision.

Note what you say about move to unitaries although, going off topic a little, there is hope the Govt and particularly Blair will find it all too much in the short term but certainly an issue.   Interest by your area as I have a son working for Guildford Borough Council at the start of his career.

Will peruse OFCOM consultation.  My husband wonders if I think of much else BUT telephone numbers!

My district council in Surrey (the one with a river valley named after those annoying little creatures who insist on burrowing under your lawn and throwing up mounds of earth) has been no overall control for all but one of its nearly 32 years of existence.  This seems to lead to a culture where officers are very strongly in control of many decision processes because they often have to broker a compromise between the divided opinions of the different parties.  It is also to do with the attitude taken by our current Chief Executive of some 14 years standing.

The 0845 numbers that were introduced were done so entirely by our IT manager without any decision at a committee requesting him to move to using these numbers.  But of course he is normally in charge of all telecoms matters day to day and so thought he also had the decision making power here.  His excuse for using 0845 numbers for the enquiry team for the trial recycling scheme was that he didn't have budgetary authority to offer more real geographic phone lines with an 01 phone number and that he could acquire these 0845 numbers for nothing during the duration of the trial at zero cost to the council (never mind that it was not zero cost to those having to call the numbers).  He then allowed the 0845 numbers to carry on when the service rolled out from being a trial to being the full service.  A committee chairman responsible for Environment would have seen the leaflet with an 0845 number on before it went out but didn't query it.

So the only way round it was for me to put down a motion to the full council highlighting the disadvantages of these numbers and insisting that we did not use them in future.  In the beginning I was thought to be a little cranky or obsessive on the matter but after referral and discussion at our Environment Committee the motion saying we should  not use them in future was passed unanimously at the Environment Committee and at full Council.  As with so much of this whole issue the difficulty at the outset is always communicating to people what the real problem is.

It is good to have at least one female member of this forum who feels as passionately on this subject as the other mainly male forum regulars.  I was beginning to think that opposition to 0870 numbers was an exclusively male phenomenon, a bit like trainspotting and plane spotting!

I assume your husband is a senior officer though on an Essex district council then and not down here in southern Surrey?  When I hear of the culture of other councils where one party is in overall control and has been for many years I am always amazed at how different it all sounds with the councillors leading most of the important projects at a fairly detailed level.  I recently also tried to get involved in the selection of a new audio system, tv monitors, electronic voting etc for our Council Chamber but by the time members were involved the officers had already decided the equipment spec they wanted and the only control left was over which supplier we used to install the equipment.  No councillor was allowed to be involved during the installation works and the result is hideous and unsightly large black monitors on long poles in front of the faces of the Chairman and council staff on the rostrum that they sit on in the Council chamber.  The new visualiser device is also hopeless as it requires the lights to be dimmed to see it.  We should have used a large widescreen plasma display for this job.  Once again it was a case of our IT manager wanting him and his staff to be able to do it their  way and not wanting to let the councillors interfere.  And believe me I did try to get involved!
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006 at 2:45pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:10pm

Quote:
So the only way round it was for me to put down a motion to the full council highlighting the disadvantages of these numbers and insisting that we did not use them in future.  In the beginning I was thought to be a little cranky or obsessive on the matter [...] As with so much of this whole issue the difficulty at the outset is always communicating to people what the real problem is.

This seems to be the case. People seem to believe marketing material and be taken in. Surely nothing as simple as a telephone number cannot be at the centre of such a con!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:25pm

Dave wrote on Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:10pm:
This seems to be the case. People seem to believe marketing material and be taken in. Surely nothing as simple as a telephone number cannot be at the centre of such a con!

Or they simply think of it as spending time worrying about something that only costs a few pence a minute and are unable to perceive that a typical housewife or homeworker could easily pay up to £200 a year extra in phone call costs if they did not actively avoid calling these 084/7 numbers.

I seem to have the same problem with my councillor colleagues who suggest it is better raising parking prices another 20p an hour than increasing the council tax yet further.  They seem unable to work out that the extra cost of not raising the car park rates on the Council Tax Bill is less than a pound per council tax payer but that increasing the car park charges costs those working in or shopping in town centres between another £20 and £100 a year - and that's just this year's little increase in the car park charges. Shocked

IP Logged

mc661

Habitual FOI requester.

West-Norfolk
Reply #12 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:55pm

was looking at the response form for the new consultation.

The comment I read in someones earlier response (it seems that OfCom staff get paid by the amount they write not the hours) is true.

theres 61 questions they want you to answer!!!

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2006 at 12:11am

mc661 wrote on Feb 25th, 2006 at 11:55pm:
The comment I read in someones earlier response (it seems that OfCom staff get paid by the amount they write not the hours) is true.

theres 61 questions they want you to answer!!!

It was me that made the comments about them getting paid by the amount they write (there are 158 pages in this consultation even though it can be summarised in to just the one A4 summary page of new number range designations) and also me that suggested that they should have an easy to use web form for people to send in any comments without all the rigmarole with the cover sheet and the attachment.

I just imagined people who only wanted to drop a few lines filling out one form with any comments they might have and never suggested that they have far more questions than they ever used to (only previously asked up to about 15 questions).  I can only suggest that they didn't like the amount of independent freeminded thought they were getting from some respondents (such as your truly) and so have tried to head off these inconvenient views by asking more questions that spin the responses in the right direction.

Luckily you can bypass their endless 61 question boxes by sending an email the old fashioned way with a Word attachment and Cover Sheet to NumberingReview@ofcom.org.uk  Imagine if you filled out all 61 boxes and then there was a problem when you pressed Submit and all your comments were lost (of course this may in fact be what Ofcom is counting on so as to reduce the number of trouble makers who respond)/ Wink Grin  Anyone else with this many questions in a consultation would let you submit the answers to 5 or 6 questions at a time so there is no danger of the whole lot being electronically vaporised in one hit.

Another issue seems to be how will they actually publish the responses of the people who answer the 61 question boxes on the Responses to the Consultation section?

Trust Ofcom to as ever be lousy at Communication. Shocked Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2006 at 12:17am by N/A »  

IP Logged

bill

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 3:58pm

Barbara wrote on Feb 24th, 2006 at 12:16pm:
One more thing, Jane Hallett of ECC said in her reply to my complaint that their monitoring has only picked up 1 complaint re use of 0845 so, if any other members of this foum live in Essex or have to phone it, here is her email so that you can add your complaints: jane.hallett@essexcc.gov.uk
Must've been mine!

Her (factually incorrect) reply was: Quote:
7th March 2006

Dear Mr William

Thank you for your email of 25th February. 

I’m sorry you are concerned about the adoption of the 0845 numbers by Essex County Council but this decision was determined on the basis of consistency and fairness for all the people of Essex from wherever their call is made. 

Callers to Essex County Council are now directed through our new contact centre based at Colchester, ContactEssex and we made the decision to move to 0845 numbers based on the above and for what we believe are robust business reasons.  The customer and business benefits of using 0845 are clear to us and are specifically:

0845 gives the opportunity for a low cost rate for all Essex residents as well as those who travel or work outside the county.  There are only five areas in Essex that have a local call rate to Colchester if using the geographical 01206 numbers.  These are Clacton, Braintree, Maldon and Sudbury and Colchester itself.

The cost of a call to a 0845 number is charged at the local rate from anywhere in the UK if called from a BT line.  Other providers do vary their charges and the choice of telephone supplier is for each consumer to decide based on their own personal circumstances and situation. 

The 0845 infrastructure provides built in resilience so that in the event of an emergency we are able to maximise our ability to answer calls or overflow to another site or location.  This forms a sound and effective part of our business continuity plans and provides options for any potential disaster recovery.

Comprehensive management information about the calls is available from 0845 numbers giving us useful data to plan and organise our business

It is not usual to publish both the 0845 and the associated geographic number and we have no plans to do this in the foreseeable future.  We feel this would cause confusion for customers and if due to unforeseen circumstances the calls had to be directed elsewhere it would be impractical to inform customers of the new arrangements.

Feedback from our customers indicates that the implementation of ContactEssex at Colchester has been very successful and provides a first-point-of-contact resolution of queries for the majority of our callers. We are collecting feedback specifically relating to the 0845 numbers and this has been positive.  We do encourage our customers to use the direct dial telephone number if this is known to them and there is an on-going query or relationship with someone in the County Council.

I hope that this addresses the issues you have raised and gives you the reasons for the choices we have made.

Yours sincerely

Jane Hallett
Customer Services Manager
Essex County Council

The usual nonsense about 'local' calls from a limited surrounding area and so on.

I've just realised why!  They never look outside the 'business' box and so don't know that us plebs, the public, the citizen consumer, the 'customer' (as they call us) who pays them and elects their political masters, is charged differently.

Response to follow.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:09pm by bill »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge