Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan (Read 311,748 times)
Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan
Reply #150 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:31pm

It's interesting that Ofcom is continuing with the local/national rate distinction. It's proposal for the 03 prefixed numbers will allow for local and nationally charged numbers, for tariffs that differentiate. What concerns me, is why would any organisation wish to charge so-called national rate over local rate?

There must be something in it for the receiving party, else it will be a pointless exercise. Will the terminating telcos charge more to terminate national calls? If so, will this force up the cost of calls as a whole? Going back to the days when it cost more to call longer distance, is this going to create an artificial [virtual] distance/cost barrier?

If the terminating (NGN) provider charges the same, then it will be originating telcos (principally BT from people on Light User Scheme) that will pocket.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #151 - May 21st, 2006 at 7:08pm

Dave wrote on May 19th, 2006 at 5:26pm:
To have overlay codes where one area will have two codes seems rediculous. What's the point in a code?

I wasn't clear on what overlay codes were until I read your post (!) but now I understand I agree compeletely, Dave.  Surely this goes against the grain of Ofcom trying to simplify things as part of the numbering review?

Dave wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 6:31pm:
It's proposal for the 03 prefixed numbers will allow for local and nationally charged numbers, for tariffs that differentiate.

This too is of concern.  It worries me that this '03' range isn't all that we hoped it could be.  With the local/national rate becoming meaningless to many us, it is puzzling why Ofcom wish to continue with it.  From reading between the lines of the consultation document ('Proposals For NTS' p42-47), I wondered if the new '03' range would also provide a kind of overflow for when '087' and '084' become exhausted!!

I fear that the proposal that the cost of '03' will be "closely tied to their provider's geographic rates" will in practice be interpreted very loosely   Undecided
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 7:09pm by gdh82 »  

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #152 - May 21st, 2006 at 7:27pm

gdh82 wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 7:08pm:
I fear that the proposal that the cost of '03' will be "closely tied to their provider's geographic rates" will in practice be interpreted very loosely   Undecided

Yes, I have wondered what are the legal implications. For example, imagine a provider that charges its national rate for national 03 numbers and its local rate for local 03 numbers. Now, what happens if this provider charges local rate for local geographical calls, but also charges local rate for national calls?

Legally can it do this? Or will the 'rules' as set out in the National Telephone Numbering Plan that dictate that the price a telco charges for national calls and the price it charges for 03 national must be the same, unless an announcement is given.

I'm no legal expert, but could a telco go to court and claim that it does charge local and national rates for 03, but chooses, as a concession to its customers to 'sell' national calls for the price of it charges for local calls? It may be described as "commercial discretion" or an "ongoing promotion."

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #153 - May 21st, 2006 at 8:33pm

Quote:
Question 10 How should the ‘08’ range be structured, in terms of tariffs and services?

The proposals suggest that 0870, and in time, 0845, should be returned to geographical rates. This would leave them in the middle of the 08 range and identical, price wise, to the new 03 range. SPs would, thus, have little incentive to move to 03. They would be free to promote their services as costing ‘local rate’ or ‘national rate’, just like those prefixed 03. Freephone numbers aside, I believe that this will lead to confusion amongst consumers and businesses alike as to what it costs to call 08 numbers and what they are.

And what happened to Ofcom’s view that 0845 and 0870 numbers provide revenue for ‘value-added’ services? If that’s the case, then surely the majority will be happy to stay where they are. Instead, it appears that Ofcom is seeking to force such services to incur migration costs or face loosing revenue.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #154 - May 21st, 2006 at 8:46pm

Dave wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 7:27pm:
I'm no legal expert, but could a telco go to court and claim that it does charge local and national rates for 03, but chooses, as a concession to its customers to 'sell' national calls for the price of it charges for local calls? It may be described as "commercial discretion" or an "ongoing promotion."

Legally can it do this? Or will the 'rules' as set out in the National Telephone Numbering Plan that dictate that the price a telco charges for national calls and the price it charges for 03 national must be the same, unless an announcement is given.

Another valid point, Dave.  I'm afraid I'm not able to give much of an answer Sad but other more experienced members may be better placed.  This wouldn't be an issue, however, if Ofcom agreed to finally do away with this local/national distinction as this is what seems to be happening in practice anyway.  And if it doesn't and the numbering plan doesn't clarify matters then confusion will reign as it does today  Cry

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #155 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:01pm

Dave wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 8:33pm:
The proposals suggest that 0870, and in time, 0845, should be returned to geographical rates. This would leave them in the middle of the 08 range and identical, price wise, to the new 03 range. SPs would, thus, have little incentive to move to 03. They would be free to promote their services as costing ‘local rate’ or ‘national rate’, just like those prefixed 03. Freephone numbers aside, I believe that this will lead to confusion amongst consumers and businesses alike as to what it costs to call 08 numbers and what they are.

I agree this will be confusing.  So on the one hand Ofcom wants a numbering system that is easy to understand but on the other is not prepared to force any changes !  Smiley

This, unfortunately, seems to be the price we have to pay for Ofcom been afraid of forcing companies to change telephone numbers!  Not that some of these companies aren't already voluntarily changing from 0870 to 0871 to avoid losing out when the cost of 0870 is reduced!

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 10:50pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #156 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:30pm

At this late stage it may be of some use to make a few comment about the consultation.  Ofcom evidently did not like the outcome of the previous NTS consultation and aims to bury its outcome with a further obfuscating consultation.  The consultation questions are often loaded and seek to guide you down avenues which I suspect most reader do not wish to travel.  Keep focussed and don’t be sidetracked by some of the questions.  If you don’t like a question, ignore it, or repeat your position on the 084x and 087x travesty.  You may wish to ignore the questions entirely or prefix them with some general comments.  

For what its worth, I have reproduced the first part of my response.

Comments About the Consultation.

This is yet another consultation relating to telephone numbering and although wider in scope than previous consultations, it again covers much the same ground. The previous consultation on NTL numbering had an unprecedented response (well over 1000), but as that consultation produced the “wrong conclusions”, in being critical of Ofcoms failure to properly regulate revenue sharing in the “08" range (084x and 087x). Ofcom have resorted to the device of producing an over complex consultation document, which will deter most from responding. Ofcom generally ignore consultation responses.

The primary aim of a number plan should be to produce telephone number ranges that are readily recognised both in function and cost by the vast majority of callers. The proposals outlined by Ofcom fail in that aim. The function of “01”, “02” and the proposed “03”, appear clear, but time will tell. If  “03” emerges as described (treated in all respects like the current 01/02 numbers and revenue sharing prohibited), that range should not present any problem to consumers. Removing “070” (so called personal numbers) from the rest of the mobile numbers is also to be welcomed.

The remainder of the proposals keep and perpetuate the current problems and make matters worse. The proposals keep the mix of revenue sharing numbers (087x and 084x) together with free-phone numbers. The current “08” range is a fertile ground for scams, deceits and half truths, practiced by telecom companies and organisations.

The only honest and transparent reform is to confine all revenue sharing and “above normal” tariff numbers to one single designated range. That range is the “09” range which can accommodate 1,000,000,000 number combinations. Prices in a reorganised and reformed “09” range could run from 1p to 150p/minute, so “low cost” revenue sharing numbers can be accommodated as well as more expensive numbers.

We should have a simple and transparent rule: If the number to be dialled (apart from mobiles) is revenue sharing and/or not included in the normal schemes and tariffs then it must be places in an appropriate sub range of “09”. The only reason for not adopting that simple coherent solution is to aid organisations and telecom providers that wish to make hidden charges to consumers.

My Response in a Nut Shell.

“01 & 02"   This range should be left as it is.
“03"           It is proposed that this range should be non-geographic and non revenue sharing. This is fine provided 03 is treated in the same was as 01/02 as regards inclusion in various call schemes.  This range should only have one set of tariffs, the idea that “03" could be split into “national” and “local call” rate is nonsense and flies in the face of the reality of call costing in the 01/02 range, which to all intents and purposes has one universal rate.
“04"          Reserved
“05"          No change
“06"         This range should be reserved.  All revenue sharing should be confined to a suitable sub-range of “09".  The proposal to remove the 070 (personal numbers) range is fine, but it should not be moved to the “06" range.  This will provide another fertile ground for various scams. “070" should be moved to an appropriate sub-range in “09".  For example, “097" can hold over 99 million numbers.
“07"        The proposal to confine this range to mobile telephones only, is to be welcomed.

“08"        Should be free-phone only.
084x and 087x should migrate to "09" or "03", depending on price structure required.  Keeping parts of the 08 range for revenue sharing would be to continue and make worse the scope for scams and deceitful practices.  I can not see any logical objection to the number plan being transparent - all land line numbers that cost more than normal or are excluded from the various call packages should be places in an appropriate sub-class of “09" .

“09"      Any land-line number which cost more than the normal rate and/or is excluded from a consumers call options at 0p/min, should be placed into this range. With charges ranging from 1p/min to 150p/min. So that so called “low cost” revenue sharing numbers can be accommodated into the “09" range. A three second, pre announcement as to cost, should be made.

The 11 digit “09" class can be split into 090, 091, 092, 093, 094, 095, 096, 097, 098 and 099 sub-classes, each sub-class having 99,999,900 different numbers (allowing for, say, 100 unusable combinations). The total capacity of the full “09" range would be up to 1,000,000,000. number combinations.

For example:

continued  .........
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006 at 6:35pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

kk

Reply #157 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:33pm

.......... continued

For example:
090 all calls less than the normal rate, but not included in “free” call packages - internet  dialup and “low cost”  revenue sharing. (say from 1p to 2p/min)
091 charges above the normal call rate (say from 3p to 10p/min)
092 charges above the normal call rate (say 20p/min)
093 charges above the normal call rate (say 30p/min)
094 charges above the normal call rate (say 40p/min)
095 charges above the normal call rate (say 50p/min to 150p/min)
096 charges above the normal call rate (reserved)
097 for so called “personal numbers” (now on 070). (with price cap of 10p/min)
098 fixed charge per call.
099 for adult lines  (with a 150p/min price cap)

KK

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #158 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:53pm

Thanks KK.  I'm still working on my submission but it will have much in common with yours  Wink.   Personally I find it very helpful when other forum members share their responses like this - cheers  Smiley

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #159 - May 22nd, 2006 at 9:22pm

Thanks for posting your response, kk.

An important point that I think needs making (yet again) is that these prices should be all from providers, or at least land line ones. If we were to go to the effort of rearranging all 09 numbers, what would be the point when it only applies to calls from BT lines?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #160 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:09pm

Expect yet another consultation reviewing the 'service definitions' used within the numbering plan.  Roll Eyes
Quote:
Improved consumer information

5.86 Prevention of consumer harm is partly to do with equipping consumers to make informed decisions. Ofcom’s plans to do this are covered partly by through the restructuring of the Numbering Plan which is set out at paragraphs 5.4 to 5.76 above. These proposals would, if implemented, make it easier for consumers to understand what services are provided on what numbers, and at what price.

5.87 However, this simpler structure will only deliver real benefits to consumers if the service definitions which apply to each service are precise and well understood. If this is not the case, there will be potential for scams based on consumer misunderstanding of the services provided. Ofcom therefore proposes to review all service definitions which are in use across the Numbering Plan in order to ensure that they adequately protect and inform consumers. For this to be the case service definitions must:
• accurately and precisely describe the service being offered;
• exclude those services which are not to be offered; and
• do so in language which is comprehensible to consumers.

5.88 This review will also ensure that numbering policy encourages competition, by ensuring that service definitions do not inappropriately favour particular types of communications provider, or particular networks and technologies. The review is expected to be carried out during summer 2006. Tight service definitions will make it easier to take enforcement action against communications service providers who allow their number allocations to be used in ways that do not comply with the Numbering Plan.

IP Logged

cabhopper

Reply #161 - May 23rd, 2006 at 8:11pm

Might I suggest that any Company employing an 087x number, or similar, be compelled to list their geographic number also. This means that people who have calling plans, like Talktalk, or are mobile phone users can access those Companies at a known cost.

cabhopper cabhopper  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #162 - May 23rd, 2006 at 10:17pm

The suggestion of charging for numbers is mentioned, and different methods are put forward for deliberation. Such examples include charging for numbers on allocation and annually. It also suggests that the cost could be varied depending on the service type (i.e. number prefix) or when numbers are more scarce.

As a consumer, I have no idea how this would actually effect the industry. So will it mean higher telephone bills for us?

And by charging more for areas/prefixes with fewer free blocks, I think it will actually serve to drive out competition [does it really exist anyway? Roll Eyes] in those areas. Ofcom's first priority should be to make sure that there's a plentiful supply and that they're not wasted.

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #163 - May 24th, 2006 at 1:49pm

Sorry to detract from the above but not only are the number of responses to this consultation low, they seem surprisingly static ?  So I thought I'd email Ofcom's Nic Green who is managing this consultation and it seems there's at least another 70 responses in the pipeline:

Quote:
>From: "Nic Green" <Nicholas.Green@ofcom.org.uk>
>Subject: RE: RE: lack of published responses to the numbering review consultation?
>Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 09:42:17 +0100
>
>Mr
>
>There are about another 50 fully ready from my perspective and I'm told
>that these can be worked on today by our Communications team for posting
>on the website. I will be prioritising anything I can do to make that
>happen. About 20 or so others will also be prepared today to be sent to
>them.
>
>Together, these two sets will have caught up with where we should be at
>this stage. Then we should be able to beat our internal processing
>target.
>
>Regards
>Nic

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #164 - May 24th, 2006 at 2:53pm

Dave wrote on May 23rd, 2006 at 10:17pm:
The suggestion of charging for numbers is mentioned, and different methods are put forward for deliberation. Such examples include charging for numbers on allocation and annually. It also suggests that the cost could be varied depending on the service type (i.e. number prefix) or when numbers are more scarce.

As a consumer, I have no idea how this would actually effect the industry. So will it mean higher telephone bills for us?

And by charging more for areas/prefixes with fewer free blocks, I think it will actually serve to drive out competition [does it really exist anyway? Roll Eyes] in those areas. Ofcom's first priority should be to make sure that there's a plentiful supply and that they're not wasted.
I believe it will mean higher costs in some areas for landline owners.  It will also impact businesses/gov depts/organisations, etc because chances are their underlying teleco will pass the cost on to the business/gov dept/organisation which will then pass it on to us by higher costs in products, etc.

Ultimately, I believe it will be passed on to us end users/consumers in some way or another.

As for competition? - I also can't see there being any except for businesses that may fight over "gold" type numbers but then they end up using NGN's anyhow!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, Dave, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge