Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print
Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan (Read 312,594 times)
gdh82

Re: Ofcom review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan
Reply #120 - May 6th, 2006 at 8:59am

Quote:
Ofcom won't go down that route [of moving 087/084 to the 09 range] because that would totally destroy the businesses of all the 084/7 scam operators. Yes I know we would like that to happen but you have to accept that Ofcom have a different agenda of not interfering in business unless it is to protect the consumer. And the consumer can be protected without making these types of calls move to 09.

In addition to this reluctance by Ofcom, I read in the UK Telephone Numbering Plan consulation about the potential shortage of 084/7 numbers so I wondered, could Ofcom reasonably argue, that it simply wouldn't be possible to move 087/084 to the 09 range because it couldn't accomodate all the numbers needed in addition to the existing 09 numbers ?  Someone who knows the maths of these number range may be able to answer this ?

I've called for such a change in the past but am now not sure if its even possible.  Even though, I'm not happy about it, it might help explain Ofcom's restructing of the the 08 range ?

NGM's suggestion of creating an '06' range to accomodate revenue raising 087/084 numbers would overcome this problem but its hard to see Ofcom taking this route.

Given all of this, and at the risk of sounding extremely naive, perhaps the best hope for those of us who want to see an end to this unjustifiable misleading and overpriced 087/084 rip-off numbers, it that the '03' range numbers do take a foothold, prove to be popular, and by doing so, further highlight the excessively  expensive 087/084 numbers (or whatever the restructured equivalent will be), leading to even greater consumer disatisfaction and ultimately to the begrudging and belated movement by business to the '03' range ??? 

Dream on, I hear you say...

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

kk

Reply #121 - May 6th, 2006 at 3:15pm

Hi gdh82

Each range -  0870, 0871, 0845 and 0844 has a capacity of over 9 million numbers (10,000,000 in theory).

Each range -  090, 091, 092, 093, 094, 095 etc has a capacity of over 90 million numbers. (100,000,000 in theory)
The full "09" range can hold over 900 million numbers. (1,000,000,000 in theory)
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2006 at 12:06pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #122 - May 6th, 2006 at 3:29pm

kk wrote on May 6th, 2006 at 3:15pm:
Each range 0870, 0871, 0845 and 0844 has a capacity of over 9 million numbers.

0871 numbers then have 7 digits which contain 10 million number possibilities.  I believe that this is then spilt in to 5 number bands for 6p, 7p, 8p, 9p and 10p per minute 0871 numbers and that the telco industry argument is that there won't be enough 10p per minute 0871 numbers which are the only ones they will actually want to sell (apart from the dial through telecoms services who do use the lower rate 0871 numbers).

Now 1 million existing 10p per minute 0871 numbers still sounds a lot doesn't it (possibly more than all the NTS numbers currently actively in use) but you then have to allow for these 1 million numbers being subdivided in to blocks that belong to each different telco of 10,000 or whatever and due to the size of the blocks there aren't enough blocks to allocate to all the companies who want to sell 10p per minute 0871 numbers, even though in principle there are enough 0871 numbers in total.

What is so disgusting is that the only reason they want to use a 10p per minute 0871 number, rather than a 10p per minute 09 number is (a) that 0871 at the moment won't be regulated by ICSTIS for two more years and that (b) the majority of the public will still think "that's only national rate mate isn't it" based on all the historic lies associated with the selling of numbers in the 0845 and 0870 ranges and these numbers loooking more or less the same.

Basically what should have happened is that 08 was returned to Freephone only use, national 084/7 numbers all had to become 03 Countrwide or alternatively move to 09 Premium Rate ICSTIS regulation for continued revenue share.

But now instead Ofcom has decided that the business of the scammers must continue uninterrupted and that all those running 0845 numbers who want to do the right thing must instead get a new 03 number.

Is this regulation or is this just a charter for scammers? Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #123 - May 6th, 2006 at 4:21pm

Quote:
Is this regulation or is this just a charter for scammers?
UK telecom regulation, or rather the lack of it, is a scammers' paradise. The inaction by both Ofcom and ICSTIS is more consistent with what would happen in a 'tin-pot little dictatorship' rather than in a highly developed major economy. Ofcom has shown that it is wholly subservient to the interests of big business and the telecommunication companies that thrive on the fact that they can introduce premium numbers with no sanction from those that are supposed to protect the interest of the consumer. ICSTIS in particular appears to be complicit in the scamming operations of premium reverse-billed SMS operators. There appears to be little redress available to the average UK resident. Ofcom pats itself on the back for doing something about 0870, yet, as predicted by myself and others, there will now be a mass shift to 0844 and 0871 which will cost consumers even more. NEG pre-empted all of this by introducing 0844 for patient rip-off services, and now every other Tom D|ck and Harry will follow. My only conclusion is that there is a massive degree of corruption involved somewhere within the sordid regulatory process. No wonder the UK is the number one choice for telephone scammers when dithering idiots are responsible for regulation. There appears to be nothing the average consumer can do other than to make representations to parliament.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

kk

Reply #124 - May 6th, 2006 at 5:50pm

As you may know, 70 to 80% (80% according to the German Government) of our laws now originate from the EU.  To hide the fact that legislation comes from the EU, the founders of the EU ( then the ECC) devised a cunning plan.  The EU bureaucracy  issues a Directive. The (EU parliament has little function in the process, and do not vote for laws as we in the UK know.) Directives then have to be “implemented” by member states by a given date.  The Directive is implemented by each member state, by it enacting  primary legislation (ie Telecommunications Act ) and/or secondary legislation (Statutory Instruments) and putting in place a regulatory framework as necessary (such as Ofcom).

Each member state has no choice and has to fully implemented a EU Directive unless it has been granted a derogation by the EU.  The Directive is then enforced in the normal way through the courts of member states.  The Directive has superiority over any member state law.  If a member state fails to fully implement a Directive, citizens of the member state can force, in effect, their own government (eg Department of Trade) or regulatory body (eg Ofcom) to properly implement a Directive by taking that government department or regulatory body to its own courts - in our case the normal UK civil courts - County Court (including Small Claims, for claims under £5,000) or High Court for claims over £50,000.

I am not in favour of the above undemocratic process, but that is the law, and citizens can use it, if they so wish.

I understand that the EU has issued a Directive, part of which mentions the requirement for “number transparency”.  Ofcom’s own published evidence shows that UK citizens are confused by 087x and 084x telephone numbers and the evidence clearly shows that the current numbering scheme is far from transparent.  Ofcom’s proposals, if implemented, are also far from transparent, and in some cases make the matter worse. 

If Ofcom put in place its proposals, I feel that they will  have failed to properly implement the EU Directive on the matter of number transparency and are susceptible to be taken to the UK civil courts by any person who feels aggrieved and can show that they have suffered a loss. The UK courts can not force Ofcom to properly implement an EU Directive, but can award damages against Ofcom.

If Ofcom do take the fully transparent route of eventually putting all revenue sharing numbers in the designated “09" category, then I would argue that they have then properly implemented the EU Directive.

KK

IP Logged

nanstallon

Falmouth
Reply #125 - May 6th, 2006 at 7:31pm

I've never been a great fan of the EU, but sometimes it can work for us.  I have always felt that the press blame the EU directives, when in fact it's the Whitehall implementation that is the problem.

The British government is the most blatant in the EU in its disregard for its own people and collaborating in their exploitation by big business - good old 'Treasure Island'.  So, if the EU gives us rights against our own corrupt government, we should use them.

IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #126 - May 6th, 2006 at 7:41pm

nanstallon wrote on May 6th, 2006 at 7:31pm:
So, if the EU gives us rights against our own corrupt government, we should use them.

Unfortunately I fear that getting anywhere via the suggested EU directive enforcement process given by kk may be considerably more difficult and troublesome than might at first glance seem to be the case. Undecided

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #127 - May 6th, 2006 at 10:20pm

Thanks kk for providing the number capacity of the various '08' ranges, and thanks to NGM for the further explanation. Sounds like there's plenty of numbers in theory but when it comes to the practice of allocation there plausibly could be shortages, as Ofcom have said.  So it follows that the motivation for creating the '03' range may not in fact be to replace 08x revenue raisers but in fact to sustain their long term future  Shocked Cry

Quote:
What is so disgusting is that the only reason they want to use a 10p per minute 0871 number, rather than a 10p per minute 09 number is (a) that 0871 at the moment won't be regulated by ICSTIS for two more years and that (b) the majority of the public will still think "that's only national rate mate isn't it" based on all the historic lies associated with the selling of numbers in the 0845 and 0870 ranges and these numbers loooking more or less the same.

Point (b) above was perfectly illustrated recently in Telewest's response to Ofcom's NTS changes when describing the virtues of the 0844 number range:

Quote:
Businesses may want to consider moving their 0870 numbers to 0844. ntl:Telewest Business' 0844 service delivers flexibility with a range of price points from 1 to 5ppm. While calls are capped at 5ppm, there is the opportunity to make revenue share if call volume is high.
In addition, as a non premium rate number, 0844 will be more favourably perceived by your customers

Given what we're up against, It's so hard not to feel disheartened or worse still, 'done over' as firestop puts it:

firestop wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 6:33am:
So, have WE shot ourselves in the foot and been 'done-over' by Ofcom?
I ask because our campaign against 0870 has been circumvented by Ofcom allowing migration to the 'even-more-expensive' 0871 - which is an even worse state of affairs than the one we started complaining about, originally.

Having said that, if ever there is an opportunity to urge change to the 0870/0871/0845/0844 debate then it has to be now when Ofcom is 'consulting' on a  Review of UK Telephone Numbering Plan.  As well as responding to the consultation, how can we focus attention and maybe even some pressure on Ofcom - perhaps some way of making more people aware of their sounds-good-but-will-achieve-very-little smokescreen proposals ?  And, on this point, its encouraging to hear the Martin of MSE sounds like he'll be playing his part to help raise awareness.
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2006 at 6:29pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

kk

Reply #128 - May 8th, 2006 at 1:00am

The following are my general comments to the consultation.

This is yet another consultation relating to telephone numbering and although wider in scope than previous consultations, it again covers much the same ground.  The previous consultation on NTL numbering had an unprecedented response, but as that consultation produced the “wrong conclusions”, Ofcom have resorted to the device of producing an over complex consultation document, which will deter most from responding. Ofcom generally ignore consultation responses.

The primary aim of a number plan should be to produce telephone number ranges that are readily recognised both in function and cost by the vast majority of callers.  The proposals outlined by Ofcom fail in that aim.  The function of “01”,  “02” and the proposed “03”, appear clear. If  “03” emerges as described (treated in all respects like the current 01/02 numbers), that range should not present any problem to consumers.   Removing “070” (so called personal number) from the rest of the mobile numbers is also to be welcomed.

The remainder of the proposals keep and perpetuate the current problems and make matters worse. The proposals keep the mix of revenue sharing numbers (087x and 084x) together with free-phone numbers. The current “08” range is a fertile ground for scams, deceits and half truths, practiced by telecom companies and organisations.

The only honest and transparent reform is to confine all revenue sharing and “above normal” tariff numbers to one single designated range.  That range is the “09” range which can accommodate 1,000,000,000 number combinations. Prices in a reorganised and reformed “09” range could run from 1p to 150p/minute, so “low cost” revenue sharing numbers can be accommodated as well as more expensive numbers.

We should have a simple and transparent rule:  If the number to be dialed (apart from mobiles) is revenue sharing and/or not included in the normal schemes and tariffs then it must be places in an appropriate sub range of “09”.  The only reason for not adopting that simple coherent solution is to aid organisations and telecom providers that wish to make hidden charges to consumers.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2006 at 4:58pm by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #129 - May 8th, 2006 at 6:54pm

Right on kk !  Your post eloquently says pretty much most of what I intend to say  Wink

In the NTS Way Forward consultation, I too called for 08 revenue sharing numbers to be moved to the 09 premium rate range but given the comments made above about potential shortages, I'm not so sure now  Undecided  Even if Ofcom could be persuaded to go this way (and that's a very, very big 'if') there could be other practical problems.  Although, as you point out, the maximum number combinations are massive, it was raised above that given the desire to offer certain price bandings and given that numbers are allocated in blocks, the '09' range may not offer enough practical possibilities. 

Maybe there is a way around this  (perhaps if the '09 range was banded on a 2-digit level and have several bands allocated 10 ppm ?) but you're much better with the figures than me.  I agree its so much more "systematic, accessible and easily understood" (according to the consultation document Ofcom is seeking this) to have all revenue sharing/premium rate numbers in one number range but I only raise this issue because I don't want to be demanding something that isn't going to be workable in practice ?

IP Logged

kk

Reply #130 - May 9th, 2006 at 12:07am

Hi gdh82

In my response, I have proposed that 08 and 09 be used as shown below and as you can see the “09" has plenty of capacity, even taking into account the vagaries of block allocation.

“08"   free-phone only (084x and 087x migrate to "09" or "03", depending on price structure required)

“09"   any land-line number which cost more than the normal rate and/or is excluded from a consumers call options at 0p/min.
This 11 digit “09" class can be split into 090, 091, 092, 093, 094, 095, 096, 097, 098 and 099 sub-classes,  each sub-class having 99,999,900 different numbers (allowing for, say, 100 unusable combinations).  The total capacity of the full “09" range would be up to 1,000,000,000. number combinations.

For example:
090 all calls at less than the normal rate, but not included in “free” call packages - eg internet dial up and lower cost revenue sharing. (say from 1p to 2p/min)
091 charges above the normal call rate (say from 3p to 10p/min)
092 charges above the normal call rate (say 20p/min)
093 charges above the normal call rate (say 30p/min)
094 charges above the normal call rate (say 40p/min)
095 charges above the normal call rate (say 50p/min to 150p/min)
096 charges above the normal call rate (reserved)
097 for so called “personal numbers” (now on 070).
098 fixed charge per call.
099 for adult lines.

« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006 at 8:23am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #131 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:23am

Thanks again KK for your very helpful and detailed response.  It does seem, as you say, that the '09' range when divided in two digit subclasses would provide sufficient capacity.   And if Ofcom so desired there's no reason why more than one subclass could share, say, the 10 ppm rate.  Your suggestion would also accomodate Ofcom's intention to band a range by type so that, for example, adult lines, can be specifically barred whilst maintaing access to other '09' numbers.

So, I'm persuaded on the issue of capacity but how do we persude Ofcom to take this option, especially given they are so reluctant to force companies to change their numbers  (even though we've already witnessed the voluntary migration from 0870 to 0871).  I even wondered if its more realistic to encourage Ofcom to label both '08' and '09' as premium rate as well as ensure the same protection for both number ranges.  I know the 080 freephone doesn't fit very well with this, but it doesn't fit very well with Ofcom's proposals either.  I know this is probably just as unrealistic but any thoughts ?

I also wanted to ask for some explantion of MSE's Martin support for 0844 and 0871 below:

MSE_Martin wrote on May 8th, 2006 at 6:27pm:
It is a difficult wrestle with 0844 and 0871, on the one hand we dont want migration from 0870s, on the other hand these numbers are valuable in the override market for international calls etc, so the low end premium rate numbers which is what they effectively are, should remain.

For me the answer should be a 'we make money when you call' type declaraion for all revenue share lines, however i think we're a long way.

Its just I'm not sure what  the 'override market for international calls' is ?  Could anyone explain please?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #132 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:39am

gdh82 wrote on May 10th, 2006 at 11:23am:
Its just I'm not sure what  the 'override market for international calls' is ?  Could anyone explain please?

I have tried to steer Martin away from using that misleading 'override providers' phrase. What he means is what I call 'Dial-Through numbers' - numbers through which you or I can dial to access a cheaper route to call (for example) an international number.

Click on the below link and search for Bahamas - you will see numerous 0844 numbers and one of two 0871 numbers are used.

The MSE International Callchecker
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006 at 11:43am by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NonGeographicalMan
Ex Member

Reply #133 - May 10th, 2006 at 12:15pm

Heinz wrote on May 10th, 2006 at 11:39am:
I have tried to steer Martin away from using that misleading 'override providers' phrase. What he means is what I call 'Dial-Through numbers' - numbers through which you or I can dial to access a cheaper route to call (for example) an international number.

Click on the below link and search for Bahamas - you will see numerous 0844 numbers and one of two 0871 numbers are used.

The MSE International Callchecker

But try calling most of these dial through service with Post Office HomePhone and you will find you cannot access them and instead get an unobtainable tone because Cable & Wireless (Post Office HomePhone's underlying call supplier) has not bothered to form an access agreement with them - well at the moment you can access them by dialling the BT 1280 overide code but I suspect it will not be long before the Post Office bars, 1899, 1280 etc codes.

The Post Office tries to blame all this on companies like Callax, Finarea etc not forming access agreements with Cable & Wireless but we all know that in reality Cable & Wireless does not want to form the access agreements as it can make more money from customers paying the higher call rates to the Post Office and then onwards to itself.

See below reply from Ric Francis, Exective Director, Operations at the Post Office.

This seems to be another example of Wholesale Line Rental being Fit for Purpose only for the needs of the telecoms operators but not the needs of consumers who clearly want access to the same range of services that they enjoyed with BT but at cheaper call prices.

† The discussion NonGeographicalMan started on being unable to dial certain 0844/0871/090 numbers using Post Office Home Phone has been moved here.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006 at 4:48pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #134 - May 10th, 2006 at 2:40pm

Thanks, Heinz, for explaining the meaning of 'override market for international calls' - that makes sense now.  Whilst I appreciate their validity, there doesn't seem any reason why like the rest of 087x/084 numbers they couldn't be moved to a similarly priced '09' band, or else (as mentioned above) let's call a spade a spade and label the '08' range as premium rate too!

NGM has certainly got a issue with Homephone and dial-through services but may I suggest that this post merits its own thread - it would get more attention there and won't detract here  Wink
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006 at 2:41pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge