Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doctors 0845 number charges when engaged (Read 23,214 times)
garnettm

Morecambe UK
Doctors 0845 number charges when engaged
May 30th, 2006 at 5:02am

Reciently my GP's surgery changed to an 0845 number.

I often need an appointment so I phone them up, first thing there is a rush to get the appointments so you have to repeatedly call again when you get an engaged tone or you just don't get an appointment and this can often take 10 - 15 mins.

I got my phone bill and it itemised each and every call even if it was engaged.

Each time is cost me to get the engaged tone which meant that I had an increase of over 500% to get an appointment on average over the bill period.

BT said "Not our problem" we just connected the call.

IP Logged

kk

Re: Doctors 0845 number charges when engaged
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2006 at 10:31am

Hi

You should send a letter of complaint (by email) to:

Department of Health
Local MP
Local Health Authority
Ofcom
Also send a letter to your GP asking them why they have introduced such a number.  

It probably will not produce much of a result, but if they get sufficient complaints on the same, or similar topic you will find that things may start to happen.

In your letter of complaint, make the following points:

0845 numbers never cost less than calls to ANY UK location, no matter what the distance, and so are never an advantage to callers no matter where they live or are calling from.

0845 number normally can not be used from outside the UK.  In an emergency you, or doctors treating you, would not be able to contact your GP.

Call to 0845 number from a call box cost at least 600% more than calling a normal 01/02 number. Some patients have to use call boxes.  (0845 numbers cost 10p for every 55 seconds from a call box - subject to a min 30p charge)
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2006 at 10:33am by kk »  

KK

IP Logged

Shiggaddi

Saltash, Cornwall
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:25am

It's ironic that NEG claims that one of their benefits of their surgery line, is that calls are answered immediately, and callers can be put on hold.

And there you have it, exactly the same as before, the line is engaged when you try, however from their point of view, the call was indeed answered, but answered with an engaged tone to fleece more money from their patients.

Is that what they mean from their propaganda, that their surgery line can take more calls.  That is technically correct, but as we have known all along, the only way a doctors surgery can take more calls, is to install an additional phone line, and make sure there's someone available to answer both lines.

I realy hait itt wen peeple canot spel proply. Itt getts onn mye nervs sew mutch annd streses mee owt. Knot onley iz itt vary bade speling butt allso bade gramer.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #3 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:28am

garnettm wrote on May 30th, 2006 at 5:02am:

From what you're saying, all the calls were answered at the other end and (presumably) the engaged tone came from your doctor's surgery.

Did it answer with a message or ring initially, then go to engaged?

I echo kk's comments; complain to your doctor.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2006 at 10:04am

Just a point of clarification, GARNETTM.

You said your surgery's number starts with 0845. However, those surgeries who were duped into signing up with NEG had an 0870 number originally which due to John Hutton's (then Health Minister) intervention was changed to 0844 subsequently.

0844 numbers cost generally more to call than 0845 numbers.

IP Logged

garnettm

Morecambe UK
Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 8:04am

Hi,

Not been too well and havn't been able to look at the post for a while.

To answer some of the queries above., when I ring the number I get one of 3 responces.

1. It rings and then I get throught.

2. I get no ringtone just an engaged tone.

3. I get a discontinued tone (Continuous).

Mainly I get an engaged or a discontinued tone when I call.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 8:24am

I think I would be asking BT to check this number for you and find out whether the 'engaged' or 'continuous tone' calls are the ones being charged on your account - and if so, Why?

IP Logged

garnettm

Morecambe UK
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 10:05am

I did contact BT. They said that they connected the calls, both engaged and discontinued tones to the number sucessfully and the connection charge was then made.

BT sugest that the Doctors surgery equipment was not handling the calls correctly and it has nothing to do with BT.

The doctors surgery say they don't make any money out of the system and they would be looking at the hunt groups.

Basically bith sides are saying that it is not their problem. In the meantime I just have to pay a lot more for making apointments to see my GP.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 1:20pm

What a shambles!
Have you tried approaching your Local Health Authority with this?  Surely there must be hundreds of others suffering this if the Docs eaquipment is at fault.  I would have thought the Doctors themselves would have shown some concern.
Can you not change Doctors (or at least threaten to)?
Best of luck.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 1:51pm

So if the doctors' equipment is at fault, are they contravening any telecommunications regulations by playing engaged tone to a caller?

IP Logged

Tony_Walsh
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 3:08pm

Garnettm
Normally watch for posts like yours but have been away. The number will be an 0844 number and you should complain to the following.
The senior partner of the practice concerned giving details of the costs entailed and explanations if possible. (If you need more info I suggest posting a request on this thread and the experts will appear with full details).
The Local Medical Committee asking for comments.
The local primary care trust one of which employs us all (I'm a GP).
YOUR MP @ HOUSE OF COMMONS! He's probably in the best position to help effect change.
Your local councils - Parish/District/County.
You need to make people aware that these issues affect ill people who they represent.
In general, GPs are fairly unaware of the issues - you may get a positive response from the practice.
Let me know if you need more help.
Tony

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #11 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:13pm

THIS IS LIKE AN ONGOING PROBLEM, LOTS OF GP'S ARE CHANGING TO NGN , WHAT DOH OR PRIMARY CARE TRUST WILL DO TO CONTROLL THIS . EVERYBODY SAYS THAT THEY ARE NOT MAKING ANY MONEY THEN WHY CAN'T THEY CHANGE INTO A GN ??????

IP Logged

gudman

Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:17pm

TONY , I DONT THINK GP'S ARE NOT AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM. AS THE FIRST THING WHO CHANGED THIS? I AM SURE IT IS NOT THE POOR PATIENTS ,I THINK ALL THE CHANGES IN THE GP IS MADE BY THEMSELVES.

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 4:57pm

garnettm wrote on May 30th, 2006 at 5:02am:
I often need an appointment so I phone them up, first thing there is a rush to get the appointments so you have to repeatedly call again when you get an engaged tone or you just don't get an appointment and this can often take 10 - 15 mins.
Each time is cost me to get the engaged tone which meant that I had an increase of over 500% to get an appointment on average over the bill period.
BT said "Not our problem" we just connected the call.
Back in the days of Oftel (remember them?) I am sure that there was a ruling (sorry, non-binding guideline) that one should not answer a call and immediately return "internal" busy tone.
Come on Ofcom - regulate. Even light touch would be a start.

IP Logged

Tony_Walsh
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2006 at 1:02pm

Gudman - see my earlier thread on this. I had no idea whatsoever that there were problems with 08 numbers and was simply going to go with the flow because I was told that it would be more efficient for both patients and practice.
Most professionals simply do not have the time to research this subject - it was only on the basis of a reply to an enquiring phone cal by me to the firm concerned that I realised the possible problem.
The advice still holds as above garnettm.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge