Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
The Utility Warehouse Discount club (Telecomplus) (Read 109,919 times)
4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
The Utility Warehouse Discount club (Telecomplus)
Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:48am

A couple of years ago I used to have my phone, gas and electricity with the UWDC but as other companies became for competitive and energy prices went crazy I eventually took all my business elsewhere. Since then the UWDC has actually increased its prices for Broadband whilst others have been reducing theirs, why is this?

Their 2MB broadband with just a 4GB download limit with unlimited calls to Geo no's is a ridiculous £27.99 and their home phone package on its own is £9.50 for unlimited Geo calls. On top of this you have to pay £1.76 a month just to be a member. Surely they are going to have to get competitive if they are going to stay in business?

IP Logged

orsonkart
Ex Member

Re: The Utility Warehouse Discount club (Telecompl
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 10:02am

Lets face it this Multi Level Marketing outfit  have never have really been that competitive. Plus reports on MSE indicate poor customer service.

A distributor of theirs recently admitted on the MSE forum

"At the end of the day, UW do have some USP's (unique selling points), but if you are happy to shop around for the best deals for each element, there will be a provider for each that will be the cheapest."

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2006 at 10:15pm

I have also been quite scathing about U.W. on the MSE Forum (under utilities thread) and I too am one of their distributors who is in voluntary redundancy.

IP Logged

Dolly

Re: Re: The Utility Warehouse Discount club
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 10:13pm

I too am sick of BT's exorbitant prices.  I have just switched all of my services to the Utility Warehouse on the recommendation of a friend, and I am well pleased.  I won't be getting anymore BT bills.  Yeeeessss!  I get an itemised bill - just one bill but it's like lots of bills in one - so I'm saving trees too.

If anyone is interested the website is http://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

The only problem is they have an 0871 customer service number - but because I'm a customer I'm only charged 5p per minute for the call.  Haven't had to call them yet though so I'm OK.

Edited:
by Dave:
Affiliate link removed
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2006 at 11:47am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

acezing

Re: Cheap Call Providers - BT Landline Customers
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 1:21am

Dolly wrote on Nov 23rd, 2006 at 10:13pm:
I too am sick of BT's exorbitant prices.  I have just switched all of my services to the Utility Warehouse on the recommendation of a friend, and I am well pleased.  I won't be getting anymore BT bills.  Yeeeessss!  I get an itemised bill - just one bill but it's like lots of bills in one - so I'm saving trees too.

The only problem is they have an 0871 customer service number - but because I'm a customer I'm only charged 5p per minute for the call.  Haven't had to call them yet though so I'm OK.

You wouldnt by any chance be the Telecom Plus /Utility Warehouse distributor who owns that domain that goes to an affiliate link,and therefore SPAMMING this site.They do seem to make a habit of doing this on money saving site,s. Angry

They are  not cheaper then BT. Have a read here what people think about this Cowboy Outfit.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=275088&highlight=telecom+p...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=106377

Edited:
by Dave:
Affiliate link removed
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2006 at 1:20pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 4:09pm

acezing wrote on Nov 24th, 2006 at 1:21am:

As if proof were needed, I found the below 'comparison' on that UW site - which supposedly justifies changing:

Quote:
75 minute call (off-peak) - UW 4.7p - BT 50.5p - saving 91%

Oh dear, slipped a zero in there by mistake.  No worries, a zero is nothing is it?

Well, yes, it does matter actually - as does stating they'd be 91% cheaper than BT for that call (a blatant lie).  But, of course, the ASA doesn't regulate websites does it?

~Edited by bbb_uk: Tidied up quote box
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2006 at 1:23pm by bbb_uk »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

parttimepar

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 4:47pm

Perhaps they are working it out at 5.5p first sixty minutes then 3p next 15mins if so crafty advertising!

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Re: The Utility Warehouse Discount club
Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 8:32pm

parttimepar wrote on Nov 24th, 2006 at 4:47pm:
Perhaps they are working it out at 5.5p first sixty minutes then 3p next 15mins if so crafty advertising!

Hadn't twigged that.  

Devious!

~Edited by bbb_uk: Amended title because I amended it with an existing Utility warehouse thread.
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2006 at 1:25pm by bbb_uk »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

acezing

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:38pm

They also compare their D/D price for line rental £11 against BT,s non D/D price of £12.

However they themselves are not that keen to offer non d/d facilities ,if the begrudglingly do they stop you having the free UK calls if entitled,and charge you an extra 10% on your bill each month until you start paying by d/d.

https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/tacs/tacs.pdf ; Section 4(c)

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 5:59pm

The 0871 customer services number is somewhat a slap in the face when reporting a fault. They have now withdrawn the 020 89555555 number from service and redirect callers to the 10p/min number. There is an alternative in the Say no to 0870 database though.

IP Logged

4PetesSake

Why Pay More?

Northamptonshire
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:09pm

Dolly wrote on Nov 23rd, 2006 at 10:13pm:

Edited:
by Dave:
Affiliate link removed

Dolly

If you really want to save money then you ought to have left BT for someone else other than UW.

I became a UW distributor at the time that they guaranteed the cheapest energy in the UK. They are now one of the most expensive and their other products can be bettered by many other companies.

Their new Broadcall package which includes home phone appears on the surface to be a good deal but when you look at it closely you realise that it is not. You still have to take 2 other services to get all of your calls free.
Anyone who chooses to pay their extortionate energy prices just to get free calls has clearly been hoodwinked.

If you want cheap phone calls and you have a BT phone line you can use call providers such as 1899 or 18185 or if you make over 125 calls a month, then sign up to Skytalk at £500 per month for unlimited calls.

Okay you dont get onebill (which is UW's unique selling point), but at least you will save yourself lots of money and that is what this message board is all about.

By the way, although I have paid my £199.50 to be a UW distributor, I no longer promote of sell their products as they are so uncompetitive and I do have ethics.

IP Logged

buzbee

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 2:11am

I suspect that Dolly just latched on to the opportunity to spam your site and promote their own long standing distributorship,and they  hadnt just moved from BT.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 12:34pm

4PetesSake wrote on Nov 25th, 2006 at 10:09pm:
If you want cheap phone calls and you have a BT phone line you can use call providers such as 1899 or 18185 or if you make over 125 calls a month, then sign up to Skytalk at £500 per month for unlimited calls.

Peter, missing decimal point typo there - I'm sure you meant £5.00 per month!

IP Logged

Anti-0870

Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2006 at 9:52pm

I would not touch UW Club with a barge poll, I was with them for my broadband a few years ago and there service was very poor. My broadband used to drop a lot, the customers servce used to fob you off and I could not login to my email when needed. I did not have any other services with them and glad I did not but they tried to get me to have them. The only good thing about them then was, the geographical number that dave was talking about.

I would not recommend them and it's not a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket.

I would use 18185.com, I use them and it works out cheaper Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2006 at 9:54pm by Anti-0870 »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2006 at 10:15am

Oh my goodness!!   I have been with UWDC for over 18 months & had generally been very pleased with the service, I had found the broadband trouble free (in contrast to the problems experienced with broadband by most people I know who use other servers - I have the unlimited download officially at 256k but which automatically loads at 1mg which is fine for me).   As I have always concentrated on checking the bills, I hadn't noticed the change in the customer service number.   Needless to say, I have now fired off a very angry email to them and will pass my comments to my agent, who as the person whom we have dealt with for all our computer needs for nearly nine years as his son was a friend of our son, may just take some notice.   I did notice that their new package was rubbish.   

Now I also need advice.   As I may well now seek an alternative provider, does anyone know a good broadband service with unlimited download (we don't have cable or satellite, I know AOL and Tiscali are rubbish - the latter charging extra to a relative for what should be unlimited download!) at a reasonable price (currently pay £15.95 per month), together with a good inclusive call package (24/7 as I do most calls during the day and we pay line rental to UWDC as well).   I don't want to be bothered with extra boxes or dialling codes before numbers, I did try OneTel but they were awful.   Ideally I want UK call centres (which UWDC did have last time I called them).   I also use UWDC for electricity (we have no gas and when we changed to them it was the first time we had ever changed), can't remember who we were with previously but they were really rubbish, they were seriously criticised on Look East recently & when we changed I had to report them to the regulator who confirmed their poor reputation.

Any help gratefully received & thanks for alerting members to this issue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge