Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Re: 0870 0845 eu lAW (Read 48,347 times)
BenDToy

Re: 0870 0845 eu lAW
Reply #30 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 4:00pm

Hi NGMsGhost,
I appreciate the response but I need to point out that I have been a member here for quite some time. I was one of the people who wrote in regarding the Ofcom consultation, and I have also written to my MP, so I am aware there are things we can do. For the record, both of these were good suggestions. (By the way, I have now had a response from a second MEP - Den Dover)
However I also think that the general nature of the site, while commendable, tends to focus on the technicalities of the arguments rather than the general injustice, and the actions which may have an effect, and this is where Bobbyboy scored a point with me. He suggested a practical, relatively simple way of having an effect, and these seem to be somewhat thin on the ground.
By the way, I did not ask for a standard letter, just some clear, factual, simple non-technical bullet points to make in a letter of my own. I still have not found that anywhere.
Thanks anyway for taking the time to reply.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
COMMISSIONER REDING TAKING ACTION?
Reply #31 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 2:33pm

Some months back I wrote to Elspeth Attwooll MEP asking her to raise the question of transparency of price information under the EU Universal Services Directive with the Commission. She has replied:

'...I have now received a reponse from Commissioner Reding.. (who) ...believes that the consumer protection..may be inadequate and currently the Commission is conducting a thorough review...They have suggested that they will come forward with a legislative proposal to better serve consumer protection...'

Reding's written answer actually states:

...According to a study commissioned by the Commission , many Member States have requirements for a price announcement at the beginning of the call at least for some service categories, such as for calls that are priced over a given threshold. Usually these price announcements are free of charge....

...In the context of the ongoing review of the regulatory Framework for Electronic Communications , the Commission has indicated that it proposes to strengthen consumer protection by improving the transparency and publication of information, for example, when calling a premium rate number. The Commission is currently evaluating the results of the public consultation on this review and will come forward with legislative proposals in due course....

E-4337/06EN
Answer given by Mrs Reding
on behalf of the Commission
(10.1.2007)

Is this good news or are we being conned again?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: COMMISSIONER REDING TAKING ACTION?
Reply #32 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 2:44pm

farci wrote on Jan 15th, 2007 at 2:33pm:
...I have now received a reponse from Commissioner Reding..

More on Commissioner Reding here.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:33pm

It all depends on whether we can get the EU to classify all non 01/02/03 numbers as being premium rate and so requiring a price announcement.

As to Commissioner Reding she personally is certainly on our side as a former journalist and a Luxemburger no doubt with an absolute bee in her bonnet (along with fellow countrymen) about being constantly and unknowingly hit for roaming charges on incoming calls as she moves around the boundaries of the tiny state that is Luxembourg.  The big EU mobile phone companies all hate her after she announced she was going to stop them charging for incoming calls when roaming some time later this year.

I do think more of us ought to contact our MEPs though to get them to individually raise the matter with the Commission.  That really achieves far more than posting on this website does.
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:34pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #34 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 7:28pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 15th, 2007 at 3:33pm:

It all depends on whether we can get the EU to classify all non 01/02/03 numbers as being premium rate and so requiring a price announcement.

As to Commissioner Reding she personally is certainly on our side as a former journalist and a Luxemburger no doubt with an absolute bee in her bonnet (along with fellow countrymen) about being constantly and unknowingly hit for roaming charges on incoming calls as she moves around the boundaries of the tiny state that is Luxembourg.  The big EU mobile phone companies all hate her after she announced she was going to stop them charging for incoming calls when roaming some time later this year.

I do think more of us ought to contact our MEPs though to get them to individually raise the matter with the Commission.  That really achieves far more than posting on this website does.

Good idea to write to other MEP's. If anybody would like further details of the correspondence please PM me for copies.

You all know about www.writetothem.com?

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #35 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:56pm

Source: Stephen Hughes MEP's website

Date: 21 January 2008

http://www.stephenhughesmep.org/press/PR054.htm

<<

Pre-fix telephone number Rip-off

Stephen Hughes, Labour MEP for the North East has the backing of Commissioner Vivian Reding to call upon Ofcom to do something about  the pricing policy for calls to non-geographic numbers in the North East of England.  Many people will have been forced to use phone numbers  with a 0844 or 0845 numbers to get health advice or to make an appointment with a doctor only to find that these calls are charged at up to 5p per minute on top of what their telephone provider has already charged them.  Other examples of organisations using these pre-fix numbers are:  Police Forces (Durham Constabulary for incident reporting-- number is 08456060365) and even Council Departments.  Stephen Hughes and now the Commission believe Ofwat should do more.

The Commissioner has confirmed that pricing policy for calls to non-geographic numbers must comply with Directive 2002/22/EC (the Universal Service Directive) and in response to a letter to the European Commission on the matter, Commissioner Reding said, "Ofcom in the United Kingdom has primary responsibility to consider the extent to which the relevant requirements of price transparency are being met by the telecommunications service providers and to take corrective action...".

Speaking today, Stephen Hughes said, :--

"Too many public and private institutions are using these premium rate phone lines when providing vital information required by the public.  Many times people don't even know they are being charged these rates on top of what it normally costs them to make a regular call. European law does not ban the use of the numbers, but it does say that people should know what such calls cost them.

The fact that people don't know the costs, means that the directive is not being complied with.  For this reason, I have written to Ofcom to ask that they take action to make these charges more transparent so people can make an informed choice as to whether they make a call or not.

I think it is scandalous that the police are using a 0845 number for people to report crimes.

On the Commissioner's advice, I have written to Ed Richards, Chief Executive of Ofcom to ask whether he believes the transparency requirements of Directive 2002/22/EC are being met.  Depending on his reply I may be asking the European Commission to launch legal action relating to non-compliance with EC law."

>>

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #36 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:08am

Source: Liz Lynne MEP's website

Date: Mon 13 Aug 2007

http://birminghamlibdems.org.uk/news/000814/euromps_campaign_against_premium_pho...

<<

Euro-MP's Campaign Against Premium Phone Rip-Off

West Midlands MEP Liz Lynne has again spoken out against commercial phone numbers such as 0845 and 0870 which are lucrative for businesses but costing their customers a packet.

Having taken up the issue on behalf of constituents in the past, and fallen foul of the numbers herself, Liz has had enough and is launching a campaign against their ongoing high prices and lack of transparency regarding pricing.

Liz said: "The biggest insult for customers is that so many of these numbers are helplines for products they have already paid for, such as BT Broadband Internet, that customers haven't managed to get working properly."

"These numbers ought to be free of charge, yet many businesses continue to prey on the fact that most people think these numbers all cost the same as a regular call or are free."

"Now that excessive mobile roaming charges have been addressed, we must tackle premium commercial numbers. A BT peak-time national call typically costs 3p per minute but 0845 numbers can cost up to 5p and 0870 up to 10p. Businesses often take a cut of this extra cost and are reluctant to give customers non-premium alternatives."

"Ofcom has standardised the prices customers pay, but despite their recommendations, many commercial numbers give customers no warning of the high charges before calls are connected."

"I am campaigning for these costs to be forced down and for free customer warnings about the charges before connection. This would give greater transparency and better value for money for the consumer."

"I shall be writing to BT and Ofcom to complain and will also continue to raise this issue in the European Parliament when possible. However where customers are misled, it is the job of the national regulator to enforce the rules, which at the moment is not happening."

>>
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:08am by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #37 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 11:57pm

Dave wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:56pm:
Stephen Hughes, Labour MEP for the North East has the backing of Commissioner Vivian Reding to call upon Ofcom to do something about  the pricing policy for calls to non-geographic numbers in the North East of England.  Many people will have been forced to use phone numbers  with a 0844 or 0845 numbers to get health advice or to make an appointment with a doctor only to find that these calls are charged at up to 5p per minute on top of what their telephone provider has already charged them.  Other examples of organisations using these pre-fix numbers are:  Police Forces (Durham Constabulary for incident reporting-- number is 08456060365) and even Council Departments.  Stephen Hughes and now the Commission believe Ofwat should do more.

I think you surely meant Ofcom Dave. Wink

But coming back to the main news this is really very significant indeed as the EU is about the only organisation that has the power to force the ultra corrupt and ultra Telco loving Ofcom to fulfil its duties under EU price transparency legislation.  Of course only the Parliamentary Ombudsman has the power to force Ofcom to fulfil its principal duty to UK citizens and UK consumers under section 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003.

It seems rather ironic though that one of Labour's own MEPs is having to bring Ofcom to book for slavishly following the secret instructions clearly given to it over 084/7 numbers by Gordon Brown and his other senior New Labour cronies.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge