<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,559 times)
KVSimons

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #120 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:18pm

While yes the system located within the practice can queue calls, the 0844 allows something called Network Queuing. As most practices operate Advanced Access these days (ie book on the day appts) all patients tend to call at 8.30am when the practice opens. This usually results in a bottleneck as all the calls try to access the lines simultaneously. The 0844, or network, picks up each call (depending on the queue limit the PRACTICE has set) and feeds the calls to the practice as their lines become free. The number of calls in the queue is down to the practice and not down to NEG.  Some practices have an emergency option, ie 'Press 1 for an emergency' - meaning that these calls will get through straight away, whereas previously to Surgery Line the line would have been engaged as all lines were flooded with this bottleneck.

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #121 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:31pm

KVSimons wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:18pm:
Some practices have an emergency option, ie 'Press 1 for an emergency' - meaning that these calls will get through straight away, whereas previously to Surgery Line the line would have been engaged as all lines were flooded with this bottleneck.

No, 999 is the emergency number - throughout the whole UK (since being introduced in the 1930s, I believe).
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:33pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #122 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 7:48pm

While yes the system located within the practice can queue calls, the 0844 allows something called Network Queuing. As most practices operate Advanced Access these days (ie book on the day appts) all patients tend to call at 8.30am when the practice opens. This usually results in a bottleneck as all the calls try to access the lines simultaneously. The 0844, or network, picks up each call (depending on the queue limit the PRACTICE has set) and feeds the calls to the practice as their lines become free. The number of calls in the queue is down to the practice and not down to NEG.  Some practices have an emergency option, ie 'Press 1 for an emergency' - meaning that these calls will get through straight away, whereas previously to Surgery Line the line would have been engaged as all lines were flooded with this bottleneck.

Miss Simmons,

Thank you for demonstrating to us that you do in fact have a reasonable technical mind and know full well how your system actually works.

People only became cross with you before when you tried to lie to deceive us by giving us the usual unbelievable NEG lie that 0844 was a local rate call.  I assume you have always known this lie to be untrue but as you have clearly managed to get away with it with the average non technically minded doctor or practice manager up to now you also thought you could pull the wool over our eyes?

Coming back to your helpful and unspun description of what your system is actually doing it is clear that all the system does is to provide a more egalitarian form of queuing that is less of a lottery but at the cost of patients paying more per minute, whereas engaged tones were previously free, even though redialling many times is undoubtedly frustrating.

Surely what patients actually want is a system where they can ring up any time after surgery has closed the previous evening and then enter a patient number via touch tones and be told by the IVR system  the appointment slot they have been allocated (or they could even request a slot and be told if it is still free and if not the nearest time to the requested time that is still free).  Also for all internet savvy customers its surely better to cut out the whole phone lark altogether and interact with a computerised doctors appointments diary.

However your system does not seem to be technologically advanced and still requires patients to interact with Beryl the receptionist with her biro who can only handle one call at a time and this ensures long queues at times which your company then directly or indirectly earns revenue share on.

Let me ask the following questions:-

1.  If we accept that small doctors practices are still in the dark ages and cannot yet allow direct interaction with their appointment diary online or they are worried that a computerised system would not prioritise patients in the greatest medical need then why did NEG not come up with a system using Voip 01/02 numbers which the doctor paid extra for to offer their patients a better system.  And if patients were actually allowed to shop around and choose the best doctor then they would choose one with a more modern and convenient interface and so doctors would be happy to pay the extra to have an increasing patient roll from which they make more money.

2.  Accepting that Beryl with the biro is disappointingly still the only one who can make the appointments then in order to offer patients the best service if the call queue is going to be over 1 minute then why don't you let the patient enter a phone number they can be called back on when call numbers have subsided and so they are left happy they did not have to queue any unreasonable length of time.

If Surgeryline actually cost patients no more than 01/02 calls but allowed the doctor to deliver a better service then everyone would be in favour but all it does is to accept the concept of a long queue without bringing in automation that could easily avoid it and also charges patients extra for the doctor's greater operational convenience

I must say you are a brave woman to come back to this thread in view of all that has been said about you and NEG, although like all good sales people you show yourself to have an incredibly thick hide and to never ever give up hope that you may wear a prospect down into submission if you spend long enough at it. Wink Roll Eyes Tongue

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #123 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 8:53pm

While yes the system located within the practice can queue calls, the 0844 allows something called Network Queuing. As most practices operate Advanced Access these days (ie book on the day appts) all patients tend to call at 8.30am when the practice opens. This usually results in a bottleneck as all the calls try to access the lines simultaneously. The 0844, or network, picks up each call (depending on the queue limit the PRACTICE has set) and feeds the calls to the practice as their lines become free. The number of calls in the queue is down to the practice and not down to NEG.  Some practices have an emergency option, ie 'Press 1 for an emergency' - meaning that these calls will get through straight away, whereas previously to Surgery Line the line would have been engaged as all lines were flooded with this bottleneck.
Ignoring the fact that calls to 0844 cost 2p/min more from a BT landline (possibly more from other providers and of course the fact that 0844 are excluded from inclusive packages), then can you explain why an 0844 would be cheaper for me?

My surgery uses a geographical and whilst they do have engaged tones I don't pay for this and I only pay when I actually get to speak to a human and then I'm on the call generally less than minute or two (max) to either book/cancel an appointment.

Now if my surgery adopts an 0844 numbers then I'd have to pay for being held in a queue before being answered by a human or worse pay whilst going through the endless IVR options that may be present before finally getting to speak to a human.

The 2p/min more expensive is based on calling from a BT landline on BT's lowest package.  However, there are many, many other providers out there that offer cheaper calls and cheaper inclusive packages to geographical numbers than BT so in most cases patients are probably using a cheaper alternative provider and/or on an inclusive package.

Some surgeries may try and say that its upto individual telephone companies (OCPs) whether they include calls to non-geographical numbers or not but in reality because of the high cost of carrying these calls, telephone companies dont include non-geographical numbers unless you pay a high monthly price and even then you only have a limited number of minutes (I'm referring to one of VirginMedia's telephone package).

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #124 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 9:19pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 8:53pm:
Now if my surgery adopts an 0844 numbers then I'd have to pay for being held in a queue before being answered by a human or worse pay whilst going through the endless IVR options that may be present before finally getting to speak to a human.

Indeed. Ms Simons admits that the 0844 queues calls on the network, which surely means callers pay more because they are waiting.

The reason we and patients are up in arms about this is because of the call charges. The system should be operating on a number which costs the caller no more than an 01/02 call.

Furthermore, either service providers are misleading surgeries and/or surgeries are under the impression that 0844 is "not much more expensive than" or the same as a "local" call. It is surely the provider's (eg NEG) duty to put them right on this and I refer you back to the article referred to here from the Norwich Evening News:

Quote:
Today, Jan Hardinge, practice manager at Costessey, said: “The only place you would pay more is when you have got a supplier where you get local calls included and they don't pick it up as a local call. Suppliers of price plans need to recognise 0844 numbers are local and put them in all-inclusive calls.”

Quite clearly Ms Hardinge:
1. has no idea of the real cost of a "local" call.
2. does not understand that 0844 numbers are revenue sharing (of which her surgery presumably shares in). Furthermore, she apparently expects other parties, namely originating communications providers, to fill the gap to pay for the revenue sharing! She does not have even a basic understanding of telecoms!!

I am glad that she doesn't run my GP's surgery as she clearly acts without finding out the facts.

IP Logged

KVSimons

Reply #125 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 10:15pm

I do not think for one min that I will convert you, I know when I am out numbered (!) - to quickly answer your questions (as I do actually have a life outside work), yes indeed patients can call their practice 265 24/7 and book, cancel and amend their appts if they wish. Hopefully this then means there are less patients then calling through at 8.30am the next day. The practice decides which appts to release to the automated system.
Surgery Line is VoIP ready and we have VoIP practices installed.
There are no practices using IVR as yet in the UK - if I am wrong let me know (!), this is a very very expensive option for primary care, so while it is being used by some NHS Trusts it isn't yet in General Practice. I think maybe you are confusing it with Auto Attendants.
I await your ever generous responses, they really do light up my day.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #126 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 10:59pm

KVSimons wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 10:15pm:
I do not think for one min that I will convert you, I know when I am out numbered (!)

It is good to know that deep below the oodles of spin much preferred by your company there is a person who is well aware of the real facts.  I do accept that there are probably endless doctors out there using hideously primitive PSTN phone systems that need upgrading but I don't see why the patients have to pay for this directly any more than they should have to pay directly for any new medical instruments or consultation couches the practice may acquire.

To be honest I think people are being a little too hard when they vent all their spleen on this matter on NEG.  The fact of the matter is that as long as a useless and hijacked regulator allows the clarity of the UK telephone numbering systems to be totally corrupted and allows lower cost premium rate numbers to mascarade as local rate, while doing nothing whatsoever to even make false claims they are local rate or low cost illegal, there will inevitably be an NEG that takes advantage of the situation.  And ditto NEG could not exist without the active connivance of the NHS who is prepared to allow hidden extra taxation on patients paying directly for their doctors new swithchboard equipment rather than saying no this is wrong and that doctors must pay directly for their own infrastructure investment out of their existing budgets.

I must admire your boldness in posting in this thread, which does at least suggest a certain belief on your part in the democratic process of open and healthy public debate.  I suspect you are probably the exception that proves the rule at NEG and that none of your colleagues would probably have any time at all for an activity which might distract them from signing up yet more unsuspecting practices and thus further stoking up the monthly sales commission rolling in to their bank accounts. Wink Tongue

Quote:

An NEG employee with a sense of humour would horribly shatter our illusions about a typical member of NEG's staff. Smiley

But how do you square all this with your conscience when you think of poor 80 year old pensioners with no phone at home using a public payhone and having to pay 13 times as much to call an NEG doctor's surgery as they would if their doctor still used an 01/02 number.

Ah I was forgetting that a conscience is clearly a disqualifying factor for being allowed to work at NEG in the first place. Shocked
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:05am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #127 - Jul 26th, 2007 at 11:09pm

A further question for Kath Simons.

So precisely just how many switchboard solutions installed in doctors practices by NEG actually utilise an 01/02 phone number for contact rather than an 0844 NGN then? Wink Roll Eyes

If you always give the doctors exactly what they want then surely at least some more discerning doctors surgeries will have selected the more expensive option of retaining their existing 01/02 numbers? Undecided Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 8:07am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #128 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 1:39am

KVSimons wrote on Jul 26th, 2007 at 10:15pm:
Your company exploits the public. It also lies regarding call costs. 'Nuff said.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #129 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:08pm

http://www.pendletoday.co.uk/barnoldswick-earby-news?articleid=3065886

<<
Anger over doctors' surgery phone switch

By Alison King

THE Barnoldswick GP surgery's decision to switch to an 0844 phone number has provoked outrage among some of its patients.
But staff at the Park Road surgery insist the benefits of the new system are more significant than any minor inconveniences.

The surgery opted to change to the Surgery Line system, which has an 0844 number, last September after a survey identified telephone access as being a major problem.

Calls to the surgery are also no longer included in mobile phone networks' free minutes, and cannot be dialled from abroad.

Patients – particularly the elderly who regularly call the surgery – are struggling to remember the long number. One said: "We were all sent a letter telling us the new system would be brilliant, and cheaper than BT.

"This just isn't true. I've spoken to staff at the surgery and had letters back from them, but they're ignoring what I have to say. They simply haven't addressed the issues I've put to them regarding the difficulty of remembering the number plus the cost, including the fact they didn't add the VAT on to the cost of calls when they gave us an example.

"All they've said to me is that it's a better system, and we are now able to be held in a queue, but that's ridiculous. The old system worked fine and if it was engaged you just called back, instead of being charged to queue."

[...]

Network Europe Group, which supplies the Surgery Line system used at Barnoldswick, described the advantages the system brings to patients with a wide spectrum of medical issues.

Senior consultant Kath Simons said: "The benefits to patients are based around improved access. As the calls enter the practice in a more structured and controlled manner, this increases efficiency and productivity of the practice. Out of hours calls also go straight through to the local provider.

"There is a misconception that 0844 numbers are premium rate, but it costs the same as a BT local rate number."
>>

Ms Simons, you are a LIAR! When will you stop telling porkies, or is it simply not possible?! If telling lies is an obsessive and compulsive issue, then you need help girl. I can recommend a good doctor, and you won't have to call a premium number to make contact.
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:15pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #130 - Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:11pm

To Ms Simons,
so the system in the practice can queue calls.  Then "the 0844, or network"  also sets up a queue.   What do you mean by "the network"?    Do you mean, you (NEG) have a server on which you store the calls and then forward them to the practice?   Is my understanding correct or does it work another way?

What is the point of having 2 queues?   One feeding the other, what is the benefit?

"...most practices operate Advanced Access these days (ie book on the day appts) ..."    Don't you mean time limited access?  or restricted access?    Old fashioned retarded access?    Surely Advanced Access would be booking in advance, say next day or next few days?  Or even better, on-line access to the doctor's appointments diary for on-line booking using advanced techniques, as some practices already do?     Your use of the word Advanced seems to be an abuse of the English language --- or is it just another of the NEG lies designed to mislead and confuse the public (and maybe the doctors?)?

"Some practices have an emergency option, ie 'Press 1 for an emergency' - meaning that these calls will get through straight away..."     Do you mean these calls simply jump to the front of the queue?    They still won't be answered if the receptionist/s are engaged.     This is still not a benefit or feature of 0844 ---- it is a very simple bit of programming in the "system".    

"The number of calls in the queue is down to the practice and not down to NEG."     Which queue are you talking about here?     Can the doctor set the limit for both queues?    
« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:15pm by loddon »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #131 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 12:35am

Early Day Motions tabled between
23 - 27 July 2007

Mrs Sharon Hodgson
COST OF CALLING DOCTORS' SURGERIES

1989 COST OF CALLING DOCTORS' SURGERIES 24:7:07
Mrs Sharon Hodgson
Bob Spink
Andrew George
Bob Russell
Mr Andrew Dismore
Stephen Williams
Mr Gordon Marsden Chris McCafferty Mr Neil Gerrard
Philip Davies Peter Bottomley Mr Phil Willis
Mr Edward O'Hara Mrs Betty Williams Clive Efford
Mr Colin Breed Mrs Ann Cryer Sandra Gidley

That this House strongly deplores the practice of doctors' surgeries setting up more expensive telephone numbers with an 0844 prefix, which are up to four pence a minute more expensive to call from a standard BT landline, through which patients have to book appointments, although the telephone watchdog Ofcom is rightly critical of the idea; believes that this unfairly penalises the less well off; and urges the greater use of geographical telephone numbers for such purposes.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #132 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 8:01am

Surely if the comparison includes mobile phones then it can be argued 0844 numbers are up to 30p per minute more expensive and the motion needs to condemn the sluggardly inaction of Ofcom over this issue rather than praising the evil conniving so and sos.

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #133 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:00am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 8:01am:
Surely if the comparison includes mobile phones then it can be argued 0844 numbers are up to 30p per minute more expensive and the motion needs to condemn the sluggardly inaction of Ofcom over this issue rather than praising the evil conniving so and sos.

Your comments are just too important to allow them to be wasted.   Why don't you contact or email Sharon Hodgson MP who tabled this motion, telling her that contributors on this site are fully supportive, and suggest how she could make this motion more telling, informative and effective?

This is massive progress in our campaign (I think we can now feel that we are beginning to get a campaign under way) and to get MPs to initiate action like this is surely one of our prime objectives.   Considering we have not yet met to formally plan a 'campaign' and indeed as far as I know we don't yet have a plan as such, we are making remarkable progress.   '0870' is already dead in the water and is now awaiting its inevitable demise February 08, so, one down 3 to go!

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #134 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 1:15pm

loddon wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:00am:
0870' is already dead in the water and is now awaiting its inevitable demise February 08, so, one down 3 to go!

But its deadly and more expensive sibling 0871 is waiting in the wings to almost fully replace it thanks to the connivance of double dealing, double talking Ofcom and ICSTIS. Shocked Angry Cry

And perhaps some like the BBC will instead go to 0844 at 5p per minute at all times where there is no ICSTIS control at all.  After all if doctors can use 0844 with the DH's approval then why not the BBC..................................

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge