Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,557 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #135 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 3:21pm

The Oxford Times carried this story back in May : -----

http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/search/display.var.1414452.0.high_cost_calls_...

Here is the text : -------

High cost calls cause concern
By Victoria Owen

Watchdogs are concerned patients are being forced to use high cost phone lines to call their GP surgeries.

The Oxfordshire Primary Care Trust patient and public involvement forum (PPIF) said the use of 0844 numbers by family doctors was placing an "unfair financial burden" on pensioners, the chronically ill and the disabled.

Members have complained to the trust and Banbury MP Tony Baldry, has raised its concerns with Health Minister Rosie Winterton.

advertisement
In a letter to the trust, the forum said: "The use of these high cost phone numbers for patients to contact their surgery or health centre not only places an unfair financial burden on those least able to bear it, but is discriminatory in placing an unfair financial burden on people with the greatest number of health needs.

"People such as old age pensioners, chronically sick and disabled others and any persons on low incomes are most disadvantaged by enforced use of these numbers."

Earlier this year, the Oxford Mail highlighted the problem after pensioner William Hughes, 78, of Compton Drive, Abingdon, complained that a 14 minute call to his doctor at the Malthouse Surgery, had cost 63p.

Two years ago, the Government said 0844 numbers would replace premium and national rate numbers to ensure patients did not have to pay for expensive calls.

Mr Baldry said there was confusion about the price of calling the code, which while costing 5p a minute from a BT landline, could cost as much as 35p a minute from a mobile phone.

He claimed some people ended up paying more under the new scheme, which was unacceptable.

He said: "It's the Gov- ernment's responsibility to ensure this change is enacted, and if it hasn't happened then the Department of Health is failing patients.

"However, I think the problem may be unintentional but no less damaging for patients' pockets. I understand that 0844 numbers can be charged at different rates."

One 0844 provider, Network Europe Group, said calls from the code cost about the same as calling a local BT number and should not increase if a patient phoned from a mobile.

Spokesman Alastair Campbell said the main advantage of the system was people calling their GPs did not have to spend time redialling after getting an engaged tone.

He added: "Sometimes, there maybe 20 people calling at a time, and with a BT number a GP would have to have about 20 lines into the surgery to eradicate this, which would be too expensive. With 0844 numbers, you can have as many lines as you like, so the patient can choose to wait or dial again later if it's not urgent.

"Studies we've done show the average patient spends about 5p more a year as a result, which isn't very much for the service."

Alison Brumfitt of Oxfordshire PCT, said: "0844 numbers are lo-call numbers and are in line with the Government's policy that GPs shouldn't use high rate numbers. If any patient gets their bill and finds they've been charged a premium rate by their surgery, they should contact us and we will look into it."

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #136 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 6:06pm

loddon wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 3:21pm:
One 0844 provider, Network Europe Group, said calls from the code cost about the same as calling a local BT number and should not increase if a patient phoned from a mobile.

A case of liars, damned liars and off the end of the scale NEG liars! Angry Angry Angry

Quote:
Spokesman Alastair Campbell said the main advantage of the system was people calling their GPs did not have to spend time redialling after getting an engaged tone.

He added: "Sometimes, there maybe 20 people calling at a time, and with a BT number a GP would have to have about 20 lines into the surgery to eradicate this, which would be too expensive. With 0844 numbers, you can have as many lines as you like, so the patient can choose to wait or dial again later if it's not urgent.

No Mr Alistair Top NEG Liar Campbell the main advantage of the new system is to you NEG because thousands of calls a week to every doctor's surgery that used to get the free engaged tone now all connect and earn you NEG and/or your doctor's practices revenue share money on every resulting connection charge, even if a huge percentage of patients then hang up before they speak to a receptionist.

As for only costing 5p per patient per year extra clearly that is just yet a further blatant bare faced lie but then NEG and its staff are all bare faced blatant wholly unprincpled liars who rely on selling their systems to imbecilic GP pratcice managers with a similar lack of conscience and principles who tell their GP bosses that they are getting something for nothing without mentioning that this involves stealing from the pockets of their patients every single time they call their doctor. Shocked Angry Angry Angry

Quote:
Alison Brumfitt of Oxfordshire PCT, said: "0844 numbers are lo-call numbers and are in line with the Government's policy that GPs shouldn't use high rate numbers. If any patient gets their bill and finds they've been charged a premium rate by their surgery, they should contact us and we will look into it."

Well according to the dictionary Ms Brumfitt calling an NEG doctor's surgery definitely involves a premium over normal 01/02 calls and BT call it a Special Rate Service number.  So do you still maintain these calls are only at lo-call rate?

Anyhow you are lieing on that too as the term "lo-call" was only ever relevant to 0845 numbers (which can be included in BT Friends and Family unlike 0844) and whilst now withdrawn by BT it was never ever able to be used for 0844 numbers, which have never had any connection with local call prices.

Does anyone notice a pattern here? It seems everyone who tries to defend NEG's ripoff service is forced to resort to bare faced lieing in order to do so. Wink Shocked Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:18pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #137 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:10pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 6:06pm:
Anyhow you are lieing on that too as the term "lo-call" was only ever relevant to 0845 numbers (which can be included in BT Friends and Family unlike 0844) and whilst now withdrawn by BT it was never ever able to be used for 0844 numbers, which have never had any connection with local call prices.

Indeed. 0844 and 0871 are referred to by BT as "ContactCall".

Details on how BT promotes 08xx numbers on its website here.

NEG mentions "lo-call" here, with respect to 0844 and, naturally, "national rate" with respect to 0870.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:11pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #138 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:20pm

Dave wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 9:10pm:
Indeed. 0844 and 0871 are referred to by BT as "ContactCall".

BT's phone books for many years referred to all 084 and 087 numbers as "Special Rate Services".

Whatever they call them they are still a Premium Rate number that is simply using another name.

<div style=

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #139 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:00pm

Quote:
Details on how BT promotes 08xx numbers on its website here.

It is interesting that BT claim on their web site for 0844 that there is no revenue share with these numbers.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/btbusinessProducts/displayProduct.do?produ...

Quote:
Revenue share - No revenue share with this number

Does this actually mean that every 0844 surgery number is registered with NEG, who - of course - charge the full amount of 5p, making no co-payment themselves? They then - presumably - can determine if they give anything back to the surgery by way of rebate, or keep the entire call charge themselves

Quote:
Costs - Please note: If you decide to pay 1p per minute for the call, your customer will pay the remaining 4p per minute. If you pay 2p per minute, your customer will pay the remaining 3p and so on.

And...don't you just love the bare faced cheek of BT who really sit grinning like the cat that ate the cream. They can be seen to wash their hands of the whole scam - when, in fact, they are in it so far only the soles of their feet are showing! I've long maintained that this is where the REAL blame lies. Contact Call! Huh! Rip Off Call I'd term it.....

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #140 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 11:19pm

mikeinnc wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:00pm:
And...don't you just love the bare faced cheek of BT who really sit grinning like the cat that ate the cream. They can be seen to wash their hands of the whole scam - when, in fact, they are in it so far only the soles of their feet are showing! I've long maintained that this is where the REAL blame lies. Contact Call! Huh! Rip Off Call I'd term it.....

Yes the real blame lies with BT and their major incumbent telco bretheren elsewhere in Europe who invented this ripoff revenue share concept and with the regulators OFTEL and now Ofcom who have consistently worked away in darkened smoke filled rooms (eg Ofcom NTS Focus Group) with the telco industry to widen and extend these abuses while tut-tutting and pretending that they are concerned about them to the citizen consumer.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:45am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #141 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:29am

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 11:19pm:
Yes the real blame lies with BT and their major incumbent telco bretheren elsewhere in Europe who invented this ripoff revenue share
A few years back when an 0845/0870 cost the same as a local/national geo, did revenue share exist back then?  I'm sure that companies/gov depts had to contribute to the cost of the call (specifically for 0845 anyhow).  I realise that when different local/national rates were scrapped that meant more revenue for CPs which meant some of this revenue was then passed on to company/gov dept using the numbers and basically since then and the fact that CPs continued to market 08x as being local or national rate but with the added bonus of allowing revenue share to the company/gov dept then that's when nearly every company in the UK moved to an 08x.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:31am by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #142 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:23pm

bbb_uk wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:29am:
A few years back when an 0845/0870 cost the same as a local/national geo, did revenue share exist back then?

It did for 0870.

Quote:
I'm sure that companies/gov depts had to contribute to the cost of the call (specifically for 0845 anyhow).

They had to pay the difference between local and national rate on non-local incoming calls on 0345 numbers.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:25pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #143 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:31pm

Well, well, well.  Don't you seem to know rather a lot about this subject for somone who is allegedly only the director of a hospital radio station pw4. Wink Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:33pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #144 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:14pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 1:31pm:
Well, well, well.  Don't you seem to know rather a lot about this subject for somone who is allegedly only the director of a hospital radio station pw4. Wink Roll Eyes Tongue

I think you confuse me with someone else. I am involved in hospital broadcasting, but I am not a manager or 'director' of a station and have never claimed to be.  Huh

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #145 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:25pm

pw4 wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:14pm:
I think you confuse me with someone else. I am involved in hospital broadcasting, but I am not a manager or 'director' of a station and have never claimed to be.  Huh

I knew you were involved in hospital radio and may wrongly have thought you were the MD of such a station.

Perhaps in fact you are merely involved in hospital radio but also a director of another business in the telecoms industry as well? Wink

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #146 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:40pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:25pm:
I knew you were involved in hospital radio and may wrongly have thought you were the MD of such a station.

As I suspected: you were confusing me with DC.

Quote:
Perhaps in fact you are merely involved in hospital radio but also a director of another business in the telecoms industry as well? Wink

I've never been a director of anything. Sad
My day job is in the broadcasting industry.
I worked for BT very briefly in the 1980s driving a yellow van, climbing up poles and putting A108s through people's letterboxes and such stuff.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:47pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #147 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:47pm

pw4 wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:40pm:
NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:25pm:

As I suspected: you were confusing me with DC.
I've never been a director of anything. Sad

My day job is in the broadcasting industry.

I worked for BT very briefly in the 1980s driving a yellow van, climbing up poles and putting A108s through people's letterboxes and such stuff.

Actually I had forgotten about DC altogether.  But perhaps you and he have become a sort of amalgam in my mind.  Apologies for any incorrect associations therefore.

What is an A108 though?
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:37pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #148 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:18pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jul 29th, 2007 at 5:47pm:
Actually I had forgotten about DC altogether.  But perhaps you and he have become a sort of amalgam in my mind.  Apologies for any in correct associations therefore.

It's actually easy to distinguish us. I'm not going bald.

Quote:
What is an A108 though?

It was - possibly still is - a pre-printed postcard. The logo changed frequently, and the wording changed occasionally, but is along the lines of "I called. You weren't in. Tough.", with blank spaces for the technician's name, the date, and the time, which the technician would leave blank so that the subscriber couldn't point out that they were at home at the stated time but the technician hadn't rung the bell or knocked. The card quoted a number for the subscriber to call (from their phone that didn't work) to arrange an appoinment, and a different technician would be duly dispatched at a different time to that arranged and put another A108 through the letterbox.
Incidentaly, if the subscriber called to arrange an appointment from a payphone, the call would automatically cut off exactly five minutes after the ring tone started - whether or not it had been answered, but generally that was just as they were about to supply the convenient date and time for the appointment.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:26pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #149 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 1:49pm

http://www.wigantoday.net/wigan-news?articleid=3069379

4 times dearer to call the doctor

By Andy Cooney

<<
Patients phoning the family doctor are being hit in the wallet as Wigan surgeries switch to a new call handling system.

The controversial new line, which can cost up to 400 per cent more than a standard landline call, has been adopted by at least three local clinics who have ditched the 01942 Wigan prefix in favour of an 0844 code.

Medicentre, on Wigan Road in Ashton, along with Hindley's Pennygate Medical Centre on Ladies' Lane, and Dr Burzar's surgery on Liverpool Road, have all adopted the higher price system.

Calls to the new 0844 number can cost patients up to 4p a minute more than calls to a standard BT landline and phoning the line from a mobile can cost as much as 35p per minute.

Callers pay a flat fee of 5p per minute from anywhere in the country rather than BT's local rate of 3p per minute at peak times and 1p per minute off peak under the Option 1 package.

None of the surgeries wished to comment but a spokesman for 0844 operator NEG, Alistair Campbell, contacted the Evening Post.

He said: "There are situations where the old system is cheaper but there are situations where we are cheaper, like if you call from outside the Wigan area for example.

"Callers to our lines tend not to spend as long on the phone and end up spending less overall.
[...]
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, bbb_uk, DaveM, Forum Admin, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge