Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,160 times)
simond001

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #225 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:33pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:55am:
simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:35am:
The doctors are paid to provide a service. They have to provide their own premises, equiptment, staff, pensions etc.. the same as all other private businesses.

And are they allowed to charge their patients directly for their premises or staff, pensions etc?  No of couse not, they are meant to pay for it out of what they get paid to operate the surgery.  The same thing goes for their phone systems which is why they should not be able to pass on the costs of running and buying them to patients.

If we follow your logic then it will be 5p per minute for the phone call this year and 50p per minute in 5 years time.............

I'd like to treat that as a serious concern but it obviously isn't.  The cost of changing numbers is high, and unless the whole NGN and PRS industry was deregualted this could never happen for appointment booking.  The cost os the call also covers the cost offorwarding the call out of hours for a lot of prctices, which saves the caller having to redial an out of hours service.

Quote:
Quote:
5pence per minute sounds cheap to me! (but then, I see the benfefit of instant access, auto appointment booking and call forwarding out of hours).

No I think that you and your chums who make a living out of vending services that use NGNs actualy see the benefits to your personal bank balance which in turn allows you to drive the sporty little numbers that you then like to discuss over at www.petrolheads.com/gassing/

Again, i plead with you to try and stay focused. The fact that i like cars does not in any way affect my thoughts. Reality is that i earn less that most GP's, so i am in the same position as the majority of users of both this site, and my local GP (who does use a 0844 number). My main business has been telecoms for ten years, and within NGN's I do not deal with any PRS 090 services or services that i do not agree with.

I urge you to accept people for who they are, regardless of their income, status or any other petty jealousies that you have. It is not conducive to your campaign.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #226 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:57pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:33pm:
I urge you to accept people for who they are, regardless of their income, status or any other petty jealousies that you have. It is not conducive to your campaign.

Its just that I find most people who earn their living selling 084 and 087 prefixed numbers to businesses seem to have no problem at all with being economical with the truth and misleading their clients in order to sell their wares.  NEG being a case in point.

If all these services were on 09 and there were clear pre and post call charge announcements and line subscribers could restrict access to 09 by other household members through PIN number access (indeed that restriction was enabled by default) I would have less problems with the activities of the premium rate number industry (of which the 084/7 industry is a clandestine part).  But even then I would ban all national and local government services and the emergency services from being allowed to use such premium rate numbers for contact by the general public.

You go on about how its more convenient for the call to be rerouted out of hours etc, etc.  Well fine that allows that doctor to have a better image with the patient that may allow him to get more patients and improve the profitability of his practice.  But with that being so why isn't the doctor paying this extra marketing cost of his business. Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #227 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:08pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:57pm:

Its just that I find most people who earn their living selling 084 and 087 prefixed numbers to businesses seem to have no problem at all with being economical with the truth and misleading their clients in order to sell their wares.  NEG being a case in point.

who is most people? a very sweeping statement. I'd like to understand the research you have put into this. Please advise.

~ Edited by Dave: Quote box tidied up
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2007 at 5:01pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #228 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:55pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:08pm:
who is most people? a very sweeping statement. I'd like to understand the research you have put into this. Please advise.

I would suggest the ethical part of your industry has only sold 0800 and 0845 numbers and in respect of the 0845 numbers the ethical members of your industry would now be working very hard to sell their clients a replacement 03 calls solution.

The 0844, 0870 and 0871 number ranges are all about nothing other than hidden revenue sharing that is reliant on the fact that many members of the public wrongly believe them to be ordinary local (0844) and national (0870 and 0871) rate calls. The only exception is the use of these numbers by dial thru calling services who are completely transparent about the cost of the calls and state it at the outset in the same way as they do for the 09 numbers they also use to provide the service.

All the NGN number vending salesmen who have appeared in this forum and the weasel words they have then used to justify their hidden premium rate services, yourself included, have only served  to reinforce my views on the matter.

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #229 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:56pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:55pm:
simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:08pm:

I would suggest the ethical part of your industry has only sold 0800 and 0845 numbers and in respect of the 0845 numbers the ethical members of your industry would now be working very hard to sell their clients a replacement 03 calls solution.

The 0844, 0870 and 0871 number ranges are all about nothing other than hidden revenue sharing that is reliant on the fact that many members of the public wrongly believe them to be ordinary local (0844) and national (0870 and 0871) rate calls. The only exception is the use of these numbers by dial thru calling services who are completely transparent about the cost of the calls and state it at the outset in the same way as they do for the 09 numbers they also use to provide the service.

All the NGN number vending salesmen who have appeared in this forum and the weasel words they have then used to justify their hidden premium rate services, yourself included, have only served  to reinforce my views on the matter.

Effectively you have no basis for your bigotted thoughts. You have not researched this subject. You have no knowledge or understanding of the work that is going on within the industry to ensure that numbers are used correctly, that a smooth transfer can be achieved from 087 to other ranges. 

In all industries there is good and bad. Unfortunately you have decided to ignore the good and you have a prejudiced view of all telecoms employees working within the NGN industry. You have accepted that in some instances NGN's can be used (whether 0870 or other) if it benefits you financially. You do not appreciate a business case that does not suit you personally. Against all advise you have continued your tirade, with some of the worst marketing ideas i have ever heard. 

I have never before been told i use weasel words. This is just another of the many improper and unjust slants that you use against anybody that does not agree with you in every instance of your campaign. This should not be a for or against argument, but one of understanding, education and ethics. 

You will not gain the respect of those who you need on side until you learn to use these yourself.

Every time i read these posts and believe that i can help with your cause, i am reminded that you have serious personal issues with the industry. I have therefore decided that i will not participate in this forum any more.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #230 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:23pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:56pm:
I have therefore decided that i will not participate in this forum any more.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

It seems you genuinely find it baffling when the usual range of lies and half truths used to successfully missell the conversion of normal numbers in to covert premium rate numbers doesn't actually work with us.

Can I offer you a clue that in trying to express your pro NGN views here you are likely to get about as much sympathy as a member of Brake would over at www.petrolheads.com/gassing Roll Eyes

<div style=

IP Logged

Tanllan
Supreme Member

Reply #231 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:14am

My main business has been telecoms for ten years, and within NGN's I do not deal with any PRS 090 services or services that i do not agree with.
Now I am puzzled. I thought that the whole problem was that 09X numbers are reasonably well badged as Premium Rate (revenue share), whereas 08X are not; it is the undeclared revenue sharing that is the whole problem.
08X numbers were not originally used in that way. The convenience was from the (then) marginal national to local ratio funding the handling. I know, I was there...
Everyone's gripe is from the underhand and dishonest way of skimming money. UGH.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #232 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 7:41am

Tanllan wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:14am:
The convenience was from the (then) marginal national to local ratio funding the handling. I know, I was there...

Everyone's gripe is from the underhand and dishonest way of skimming money. UGH.

And of course 0844 and 0871 are even more despicable and inexcusable than 0845 and 0870 since they were never ever linked to local or national rate and were allowed by a cynical and telco scams enhancing Ofcom purely to give telcos further hidden premium rate revenue opportunities without most consumers even realising that they were paying a premium rate for making the call. Shocked Angry

I think simond001's problem is that he has actually started to believe his own propaganda and so can't understand it when others don't.

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #233 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:00pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:57pm:
PIN number

It's PIN not PIN Number

PIN = Personal Identification Number.

PIN number = Personal Identification Number number

Why do people feel the need to duplicate the word number ?

A few others:-

It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code,  it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc....

Wink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #234 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:33pm

derrick wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:00pm:

Why do you feel the need to be pedantic Derrick.

I thought we were both on the same side. Wink Tongue

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #235 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:35pm

idb wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:46am:
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/wnnewslatest/display.var.1628840.0.doctors_c...

Doctors cash in on phone rip off
By James Connell [...]
>>

As a follow-up:

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/display.var.1634166.0.inquiry_into_cost_of_callin...

Inquiry into cost of calling doctor

By James Connell

<<
HEALTH chiefs have vowed to investigate GP surgeries who force patients to use premium rate telephone lines.

Worcestershire Primary Care Trust has launched an immediate investigation after your Worcester News revealed at least two practices - St John's House surgery in Bromyard Road, Worcester and Ombersley Medical Centre - were using expensive 0844 numbers.

Paul Bates, chief executive for the PCT, said the trust had no power to ban the numbers.

"The PCT itself cannot ban these numbers and cannot impose restrictions outside the national GP contract arrangements," he said. "Nevertheless, we are going to investigate their use and we will work with local GPs to identify alternative options which GPs will be encouraged to use.

"The PCT is aware that some practices in Worcestershire do use 0845 and 0844 numbers. We do not approve of this but cannot stop it."

Since we published our story on Saturday, the practice manager at Ombersley Medical Centre has said she is flabbergasted and gutted" to discover the phone lines are costing patients more.

Some calls to 0844 numbers can cost 40p a minute from a mobile and 4p more a minute than an ordinary landline.

But Debbie Weston said she had been led to believe the calls were at a local rate by their supplier.
"People need to be aware that as far as we're concerned we're not expecting patients to pay any more than they should be. I was flabbergasted and gutted by the article," she said.

[...]
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #236 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:42pm

idb wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:35pm:
Paul Bates, chief executive for the PCT, said the trust had no power to ban the numbers.

"The PCT itself cannot ban these numbers and cannot impose restrictions outside the national GP contract arrangements," he said. "Nevertheless, we are going to investigate their use and we will work with local GPs to identify alternative options which GPs will be encouraged to use.

"The PCT is aware that some practices in Worcestershire do use 0845 and 0844 numbers. We do not approve of this but cannot stop it."

At last a PCT chief executive who has guts and sticks up for patients rather than looking to only say what is politically correct.

Bates for CEO of the NHS I say.

Also give that journalist a medal.  One of the best articles against 0844 misuse I have seen.  If only they had also mentioned the 10 Downing Street petition against these numbers.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:43pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #237 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 3:07pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:33pm:
derrick wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:00pm:

Why do you feel the need to be pedantic Derrick.

I thought we were both on the same side. Wink Tongue

Just a minor irritation,(we all have them), same as interviewers, presenters, especially on radio, who constantly sprinkle their conversations with "yaknow" every few words, bl**dy annoying.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #238 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 6:39pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:42pm:
idb wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 12:35pm:

At last a PCT chief executive who has guts and sticks up for patients rather than looking to only say what is politically correct.

… give that journalist a medal.  One of the best articles against 0844 misuse I have seen. ….

An unqualified “here here” from me.

Mr Bates seems to believe that the national GP contract which he is obliged to use when commissioning local services does not include any prohibition on GPs charging patients for NHS services. I am presently highly sceptical on this point.

It is unlikely that the contract could anticipate every devious way of collecting money from patients directly in the course of delivering NHS services so that each could be specifically prohibited. There surely cannot be any clause that allows GPs to enter into a commercial relationship with patients in respect of the delivery of NHS services, even if that relationship uses the patient’s telephone service provider as an agent.

If PCTs cannot vary the terms of the contract so as to make it particular and thereby confidential, where is this document, issued by a public body, published?

Even if PCTs cannot stop use of 0844 numbers, they have a duty to advise all patients of charges made for the NHS services for which they are responsible (although not necessarily a duty to publish an up-to-date and comprehensive table of telephone call charge tariffs).

(For campaigners: PCTs have a very important role in this as they are the lowest level publicly accountable body involved. They also publish these telephone numbers as a key part of their role. Looking through their latest “Guide to local services” is a good way of finding where 0844 numbers are being used.)

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #239 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:21am

http://www.expressandstar.com/2007/08/22/probe-due-on-gp-call-costs/

<<
Patients fear they are being charged over-the-odds for phone calls to premium-rate lines at doctors’ surgeries in the Wyre Forest and elsewhere in Worcestershire.

Now health chiefs have launched investigations into the use of high-cost telephone systems by some GPs. The probe follows complaints about call charges and officials say they will check out patient’s concerns.

Checks will be made on the 67 doctors’ surgeries throughout the county and Worcestershire Primary Care Trust says it will be “working with GPs to put an end to the practice”.

Concerns about the cost of calls to doctors through telephone systems that charged callers at premium rates were first voiced across the country two years ago.

Then the Minister for Health John Hutton introduced regulations banning the use of 087, 090 and 901 numbers to protect patients from paying premium and national rates to call GPs and dentists.

He called for practices to change to numbers which offered patients a guaranteed low rate and said that sick people and their families should not be expected to pay “over-the-odds”.

Paul Bates, chief executive of Worcestershire Primary Care Trust, said: “The Primary Care Trust itself cannot ban these numbers. It also cannot impose restrictions outside the national GP Contract arrangements. Nevertheless, we are going to investigate the use of these numbers.”
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge