Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,218 times)
simond001

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #210 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:59am

derrick wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:34am:
OK I am puzzled now in relation to 0845 numbers and why they cannot be included in all phone packages?
Because from the 1st August 2007 BT reduced the cost of 0845 to 2p per minute daytime, and increased calls to 01/02 numbers to 3.25p per minute,(62.5% more than an 0845), now as calls to 0845 cost less than calls to 01/02, why are they not being included in phone packages?

I know the evening rate is different, but 0845 are only 0.5p per minute, so revenue share cannot be available on that cost!

Bt could easily include 0845's in call packages. There is a minimal rebate available daytime to carriers, but a cost is incurred by carriers evenings and weekends. There is no justification for not including them as a non Bt ngn is terminated at a telehouse, which saves the egress charge. For Bt originated NGN's they have an ingress and egress charge, and a cost associated with the IN platform. On the basis that a Geo ingress and egress makes money, there is no reason for and NGN not to.

We also have the added implication that early next year rebates will not be paid to carriers for 087 ranges. This means that Bt will charge 087 at their National rate applicable to each client. Obviously for corporate acounts this will be significantly less than for domestic accounts.  This will have the added burdon on businesses that they will be charged a fee (similar to the 0800 fee) by the carrier to recieve 087 calls.

A large portion of the cost of a phone call cost is retained by BT and not passd on to the carrier. we need to remember that BT have employed  360,000 people, half of which are now drawing a BT pension. This has to be paid for.

My advise is simple. get a job where you work 8am - 6pm. You wont ever pay daytime call rates. G Winket a job with a Gov pension and you will work 4 years and retire on 80% final salary indexed linked
(or complain about phone companies who dont make the rules and have to compete with a monopolistic marketplace.)

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007 at 12:07pm by simond001 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #211 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 8:53pm

Just to point out that the petition against 0844 doctors surgery numbers on the 10 Downing Street website now has over 3600 signatures and is shortly about to make it on to page 1 (top 50 petitions) of the 10 Downing street website ordered by size.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #212 - Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:38pm

derrick wrote on Aug 17th, 2007 at 11:34am:
OK I am puzzled now in relation to 0845 numbers and why they cannot be included in all phone packages?

Clearly, the overall charge for inclusive call packages is enough for telcos to pay the termination charges for all calls to 01/02 numbers for people on those tariffs. I accept that tariffs where 01/02 numbers are chargeable may subsidise inclusive ones.

The point is that if an NGN of some description is also included, and this particular number has a higher termination rate, then, in theory, it will push up the price of the inclusive package and/or any 01/02 calls which are subsidising it.

If this were to happen, then we would end up paying 'inflated' call charges as we do now. Thus, the only solution is to make the termination rate for 03 and any other prefix which is to be included the same as that for 01/02.

PS. Send Mrs Kelley an email to nikki {at} sheepmarketsurgery {dot} co {dot} uk  Wink

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #213 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 1:42am

Normally posted in the 'parliamentary update' thread, but perhaps more relevant here:

House of Commons Hansard Written Answers for 26 Jun 2007 (pt 0002)

NHS: Non-geographic Numbers

Mr. Lancaster: To ask the Secretary of State for Health pursuant to the answer to question 138605, whether national health service organisations using 09 or 087 numbers established before April 2005 are still able to use them. [144976]

Andy Burnham: Regulations came into force in April 2005 which prevented national health service dentists, NHS opticians, general practitioner practices and out of hours providers from establishing new premium rate telephone numbers for patients seeking to contact services. Existing numbers were not affected. Ministers decided not to issue directions to enforce a migration of existing numbers to low-cost alternatives such as 0844 or 0845 in the light of Ofcom's decision to review its numbering system. Ofcom has now created a new country-wide number range 03 for public and not for profit bodies, which are charged to the consumer at the local rate, and has now started allocating numbers using the 03 prefix.

The Department expects decisions on telephone numbers in primary care to be based on what is in the
best interests of patients taking account of the Central Office of Information guidance on cost to the citizen.

NHS trusts and foundation trusts are not affected by the aforementioned regulations.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #214 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 6:46am

idb wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 1:42am:
Ofcom has now created a new country-wide number range 03 for public and not for profit bodies, which are charged to the consumer at the local rate, and has now started allocating numbers using the 03 prefix.

The Department expects decisions on telephone numbers in primary care to be based on what is in the
best interests of patients taking account of the Central Office of Information guidance on cost to the citizen.

So does that not clearly demand that all NEG Surgeryline number now move to the 03 area code where the doctors pay for their extra convenience and are in a position to drive down the contract cost with NEG or take their business elsewhere.

Or have I missed something obvious?  I am sure there is a get out somewhere that will allow the scammers like the annoying simmond001 to continue on with their work.  Speaking of which I really wish he would push off back to the Petrolheads forum where he clearly belongs.

And what of Patientline numbers.  Are they not telephone numbers used in primary care? Wink Undecided Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2007 at 6:47am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #215 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:29am

03 numbers lie at the heart of the NEG issue and many related matters introduced to this thread.

Ofom has proposed this as a solution for the public and not-for-profit sectors, but both we and Ofcom have yet to see just how it will work, and therefore how effective a solution it will be. That is why 084 has been left in a mess. We may be cynical and pessimistic, as history provides us with strong justification for such views. We must however wait, and do all we can to ensure the best possible outcome.

We cannot however wait for totally unacceptable behaviour to be ceased. Patients paying providers for NHS services is so clearly unacceptable that this must be treated as a separate issue in its own right. The effect of high third-party costs incurred in accessing services is perhaps identical, but the issue is separate.

It may take a little time in sorting out what to do with those already signed-up, but there must be no more such contracts (or renewal of existing contracts) and the illegitimacy of what is happening must be clearly recognised.

Ben Bradshaw, Andy Burnham's successor, is engaged in correspondence on this issue and has so far repeated the same line, which fails to recognise the significance of the revenue-sharing feature of 0844. The correspondence continues and we hope that the key point will be recognised and lead to necessary action.

Members may wish to add weight to this by getting more MPs engaged.

I note the suggestion to contact practice managers of those using 0844 numbers. It may be better to contact the relevant PCTs. The PCT is a public body with a duty to serve the public interest, rather than the narrow duty to what a practice manager may see as a group of customers who are happy to pay for the service being delivered by a private body under contract to the PCT.

Members better acquainted with the detail of these matters and Ofcom's proposals for 03 may be able to help us understand an important issue for the medium term future.

03 is intended to enable NGNs to be used with the same call charges as 01/02. Where special features, such as network queueing, are presently paid for by higher call charges, this obviously cannot be done with 03 numbers. Forcing up the cost of calls to 01/02 to cover this by cross-subsidy cannot be part of Ofcom's proposal as this would be found to be totally unacceptable. Surely, where such features are to be deployed on 03 numbers, they must be paid for by the renter of the number either as used, or by an adjusted rental charge. One must assume that this is what Ofcom has proposed

I would be grateful if someone could help throw more light on this important aspect of what will be happening. It may be that we need to take advantage of the delay in introducing 03 to ensure that it happens properly.

David

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #216 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 12:46am

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/wnnewslatest/display.var.1628840.0.doctors_c...

Doctors cash in on phone rip off
By James Connell

<<
DOCTORS have been accused of cashing in on their patients after switching to high rate telephone lines.

At least two practices in and around Worcester have switched to 0844 numbers.

More than 1,000 medical practices now use profitable 0844 numbers, including St John's House Surgery in Bromyard Road, Worcester, and Ombersley Medical Centre.

Both practices declined to discuss the adoption of the number which can cost 40p minute from a mobile and 4p more a minute than an ordinary landline number.

But Watchdog Oftel has called on the British Medical Association to ban the system.

Malcolm Cooper, a former chairman of the North Worcestershire Health Authority, said: "I think it's really unfair of any health professionals to try to increase their income at the expense of patients.

"I would have thought there were plenty of opportunities for low cost telephone landlines to be able to give benefit to service users. There's no need for the health service to make a profit out of people's misfortune and illness."

All three St John's ward councillors - David Candler, Margaret Layland and Samuel Arnold were against patients being forced to make premium rate calls.

Coun David Candler, who represents St John's ward, said: "It's unfortunate that general practioners feel the need to exploit their patients in this fashion. They should bear in mind that the income levels of people in St John's are well below the national average and for them to pay this sort of additional charge is quite extraordinary and regrettable."

Coun Layland, a former patient at the practice, said: "Particularly at a time when you're vulnerable when you're ringing a doctor, the last thing you want is to be charged a high rate for your phone call."

One patient, who uses the surgery but declined to be named, said: "It's a bit of a stealth task in a way. There's nothing on the recorded message that indicates what the cost of the calls are going to be. The fact that it's an 0844 looks similar to the local rate 0845 number misled me."

Janie Thomas, chairman of the Worcestershire Primary Care Trust Patient's Forum, said surgeries were trying to reduce the time it takes to get through to on the phone, "I don't think they have necessarily thought about the cost," she said. "But the cost is a problem, there's no two ways about it."
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

mikeinnc

Ofcom - quis custodiet
ipsos custodes?

Perth Western Australia
Reply #217 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 1:59am

Quote:
Janie Thomas, chairman of the Worcestershire Primary Care Trust Patient's Forum, said surgeries were trying to reduce the time it takes to get through to on the phone, "I don't think they have necessarily thought about the cost," she said. "But the cost is a problem, there's no two ways about it."

You bet your sweet a**s they have thought about the cost!! That's why they have done it!  Angry

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #218 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 8:55am

Just thought, being new to this forum, that I would kick off by saying that the doctor's surgeries down here in West Sussex have followed this appalling trend of using these numbers.  Angry

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #219 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:11am

sherbert wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 8:55am:
Just thought, being new to this forum, that I would kick off by saying that the doctor's surgeries down here in West Sussex have followed this appalling trend of using these numbers.  Angry

Welcome to the forum sherbert.

Can I trust that you have signed the petition against these ripoff 0844 doctors numbers at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NGN-use-by-GPs/ and will be advising anyone else you know who uses this doctor's surgery to also do so.

<div style=

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #220 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:19am

Ok, will do.

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #221 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:35am

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:29am:
Patients paying providers for NHS services is so clearly unacceptable that this must be treated as a separate issue in its own right. The effect of high third-party costs incurred in accessing services is perhaps identical, but the issue is separate.

It may take a little time in sorting out what to do with those already signed-up, but there must be no more such contracts (or renewal of existing contracts) and the illegitimacy of what is happening must be clearly recognised.

A doctors practice is not a charity. It is not a department of the NHS. It is not public purse funded.

The doctors are paid to provide a service. They have to provide their own premises, equiptment, staff, pensions etc.. the same as all other private businesses.   

Unless they are offered subsidised services and premises by the government or by the NHS, why should either party dictate what business model they decide upon. 

When doctors were given the option to opt out of certain services,and paid extra for others it llowed the practice to decide the future of their own business. Increasingle the practice manager will have commercial skills in line with running a business.

I also read a post discusing how this would not be allowed in USA. That is correct, but in the USA that average visit to a doctors is $63 for non emergency. For emergency teladoc (a telephone based out of hours service) it is $80.

5pence per minute sounds cheap to me! (but then, I see the benfefit of instant access, auto appointment booking and call forwarding out of hours).

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #222 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:55am

simond001 wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:35am:
The doctors are paid to provide a service. They have to provide their own premises, equiptment, staff, pensions etc.. the same as all other private businesses.

And are they allowed to charge their patients directly for their premises or staff, pensions etc?  No of couse not, they are meant to pay for it out of what they get paid to operate the surgery.  The same thing goes for their phone systems which is why they should not be able to pass on the costs of running and buying them to patients.

If we follow your logic then it will be 5p per minute for the phone call this year and 50p per minute in 5 years time.............

Quote:
5pence per minute sounds cheap to me! (but then, I see the benfefit of instant access, auto appointment booking and call forwarding out of hours).

No I think that you and your chums who make a living out of vending services that use NGNs actualy see the benefits to your personal bank balance which in turn allows you to drive the sporty little numbers that you then like to discuss over at www.petrolheads.com/gassing/
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:00am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #223 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:05am

Quote from simond001
Quote:

PRECISELY. See my post No. 189 on this thread:

Quote:
Using the NEG logic why not ask patients to pay for the latest blood pressure meter, surgical instrument or computer system for the surgery? GPs are self employed business people who pay their business expenses themselves which are then amply and generously refunded by the NHS. Remember recent income hikes for GPs - they now earn £100,000+.  No need to feel sorry for them.

or, indeed, should patients contribute to the redecoration of the surgery, cleaning costs and the cost of paperclips?

Remember that NHS services are supposed to be free at the point of use.  Doctors should be prohibited from introducing hidden charges to patients, such as 0844 telephone costs.

We are paying for the health service through our NI contributions.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #224 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 11:06am

Of course doctor's surgeries are funded pubicly, that is why doctors get paid by the goverement as do the practice nurses and they get a sum of money for every patient on their books, I believe. When they do minor surgeries at the surgery they get the money back from the NHS.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge