Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 711,147 times)
bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #180 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:44pm

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:11pm:
It is classed as a lo-call rate (the 0844) as you know. We did not make this up, it's the way it is.
BT, Ofcom and the ASA don't class them as lo-call.  Only Communication Providers use this term because it implies it's a low cost call.

You should be aware that I've actually made an official complaint to Trading Standards over your claims that 0844 is lo-call even though BT, Ofcom and the ASA disagree with this.

Using logic, the term 'lo-call' implies the cost of the call is low but as a geographical call can be made for around 3p/min from a landline (less on some other landline providers) but yet your 0844 numbers cost 5p/min from BT landline but upto 40p/min from a mobile so surely you can see for yourself that NEG are incorrectly describing 084x numbers and this is what I mentioned to Trading Standards and why they are investigating it.

I believe the reason for Communication Providers (CP) such as NEG to continue these lies is that it's good selling practice.  You would have major trouble selling these numbers by saying "they cost more than a local/national call" even though this is the truth - instead you tell potential customers (ie surgeries) that they can get a brand new system for free (self funding) and all their patients pay is a lo-call (or local/national as you've used in the past)

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #181 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:51pm

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:25pm:
If patients were so unhappy, and therefore the practices then this wouldn't be the case.

Have you read other posts on this subject? Patients who complain about your 0844 numbers, or call charges, either get it shrugged off or removed from the patient list of that surgery!

Why can you not provide the underlying geographic number for surgeries? That would give people the choice of calling the 0844 number or the normal geographic number. It would also mean the surgery and NEG would lose out on the profit for that call, but if 82% agree that the call charge is OK, you shouldn't be too out of pocket  Roll Eyes.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #182 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:53pm

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:25pm:
My goodness you really are very suspicious!! As I said, you are entitled to your own opinion and there aren't enough hours in the day for me to even attempt change your mind, or even for me to attempt make you listen to another side of the argument.

Of course we are suspicious when you can only succeed in selling your rotten product by lieing to doctors and to the NHS about the real cost of 5p per minute 0844 calls and the fact that they are actually covert premium rate calls with a small p (see the dictionary definition of the word premium).  Most despicable is the fact that you could probably at least have used an 0845 number at 3p per minute and the economic model would still have worked but the greed of NEG's directors stopped it from doing so.  Instead you take many multiples of the amount the doctors receive to pay for their overpriced "free" switchboard" which their patients have to pay for 5 or 6 times over in extra priced covert premium rate phone call costs.

Quote:
Yes we do have stats by the way; we recently had a 3rd party company carry out a survey on the pulbic to get a feel for 0844 numbers and queue systems. 71% said they'd prefer to be placed in a queue, and 82% agreed that the average cost of a 0844 call was a reasonable amount if it meant being able to get through.

My brother in law worked for a couple of years at a so called market research company of the kind you mention. He left in a disgust after a couple of years to retrain as a teacher due to his unhappiness at the way he was constantly asked to fiddle the research to produce the results his clients wanted.  We all know what the answer would be if 1,000 patients were asked if they wanted to call a normal priced 01 or 02 number or a higher priced covert preium rate 0844 number costing up to 40p from mobiles and uncontactable from overseas!

Ms Simons you are the last of the bouncy unstoppable sales people who simply keep up on springing up with the same misleading message no matter how often you are knocked down because you have no conscience and no principles that prevent you from doing so.

What did you sell before this.  Double glazing or timeshares perhaps?

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Re: Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #183 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:17pm

Edited:
by bbb_uk: The next few posts were split off from this thread and merged with this thread

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:03pm:
Dave wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:41pm:
Did the nice salesman from the telephone company not explain this to you?  Roll Eyes

How do we know that NEG doen't act as its own telecoms company given the number of UK calls it now generates?

If not which bunch of unprincipled so and sos is it currently in bed with?

Why have you highlighted NEG again? BT are the biggest provider of NGN's in the UK.

What is unpricipled?

Why don't you use your own name, and advise what business you are in.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:32pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #184 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:25pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:13pm:
I welcome some of the cost saving benefits that sites like moneysaver.com promote, where they are a true value for consumers, and the number search side of this website (that i have used previously and promoted to my clients).

Since you apparently and remarkably welcome the 01/02 alternatives number search side of this website could you possibly be good enough to provide us with a spreadsheet of the geographic 01/02 alternatives for all of NEG's Surgeryline practices? Wink Roll Eyes Tongue

Then patients could take a view as to whether the so called enhanced networking queuing features of your 0844 product are actually worth paying for or whether they would rather take their chances with an old fashioned 01/02 number and the engaged tone. Undecided

How you can possibly, and with a clear conscience, subscribe to your own fixed price 01/02 calls plans on your home landline and then use this website to avoid as many other 084/7 numbers as possible yourself, while then spending all your time converting doctors surgeries to 0844 numbers for which NEG withholds the alternative numbers, is utterly beyond me. Shocked Shocked Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley

Clearly you seem to lack an ability to focus on what is morally consistent or principled and instead seem to focus only on what brings you in a large salary to fund your own probably quite unnecessarily high spending lifestyle.

Edited by bbb_uk: This post was split off from this thread and merged with this thread.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:34pm by bbb_uk »  

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #185 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:35pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:25pm:
simond001 wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:13pm:
I welcome some of the cost saving benefits that sites like moneysaver.com promote, where they are a true value for consumers, and the number search side of this website (that i have used previously and promoted to my clients).

Since you apparently and remarkably welcome the 01/02 alternatives number search side of this website could you possibly be good enough to provide us with a spreadsheet of the geographic 01/02 alternatives for all of NEG's Surgeryline practices? Wink Roll Eyes Tongue.

No, as i keep teling you i dont work for them (or with them, nor had i heard of them prior to today)

How you can possibly, and with a clear conscience, subscribe to your own fixed price 01/02 calls plans on your home landline and then use this website to avoid as many other 084/7 numbers as possible yourself, while then spending all your time converting doctors surgeries to 0844 numbers for which NEG withholds the alternative numbers, is utterly beyond me. Shocked Shocked Shocked Smiley Smiley Smiley

Again, I dont work for them, with them etc etc...

"Clearly you seem to lack an ability to focus on what is morally consistent or principled and instead seem to focus only on what brings you in a large salary to fund your own probably quite unnecessarily high spending lifestyle."

How is my lifestyle relevant. Nor do you know my lifestyle. This is just a prejudiced opinion as you know i have a few cars.  This is exactly the bigotted comments that i have just written about.  Again. If you wish to converse pleas euse your own name and stand up for yourself.

Edited by bbb_uk: This post was split off from this thread and merged with this thread.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:34pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #186 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:08pm

Oops sorry.

I confused your post with one from KVSimons who has just made several posts in another this thread.

Sorry I didn't mean to do that

But as to why NEG's scheme is worse than others its because it involves scamming elderly and sick doctors patients who have little choice but to call the 0844 number and usually little alternate choice of doctor's surgery if they do not drive.

« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:36pm by bbb_uk »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #187 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 12:26am

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 3:54pm:
No, it's NOT me or any relation, colleague or otherwise!! I don't really appreciate the accusasions, maybe next time facts should checked?! But why am I surprised when you have never made contact with me or NEG to get the facts on NEG and Surgery Line?!!!
You are joking aren't you?! The accusations occur as you, and your wretched organization are LIARS. The NEG 0844 scam is one big public swindle (not my words, but that of The Sun, which doesn't normally mince its words:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370302,00.html

Doctors' call line cash swindle

DOCTORS have been accused of using “rip-off” telephone lines to cash in on their patients.

More than 1,000 medical practices now use profitable 0844 numbers.

Calls made from a mobile cost 40p a minute and landline calls are 4p more a minute than ringing standard numbers.

Doctors claim the system saves time and people redialling.

Watchdog Oftel wants the British Medical Association to ban the system and pressure group Say No to 0870 called it a “national scandal”.

The NHS and GPs have already been banned from using 0870 numbers.

You know full well that 0844 numbers are not, and never have been, described as 'local' or 'lo-call' or 'low-call' or any other permutation designed to deceive, yet you and your organization constantly spout this description in either this forum or in comments to the media.

You know full well that, at the moment, you can get away with describing 0844 numbers in whatever misleading manner you desire as you know that no regulator gives a flying whatsit, and you have carte blanche to rip-off patients.

Enjoy while it lasts, because at some future time, the lies WILL catch up with you, and eventually, some action will be taken to stop your LIES.

You and your organization are morally bankrupt - you simply do not give a toss that some callers to 0844 surgeries have to pay, in my money, nearly a dollar a minute just to make an appointment. Now tell me, without telling LIES, that a buck a minute is lo-call.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #188 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 4:14am

KVSimons wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:11pm:
It is classed as a lo-call rate (the 0844) as you know. We did not make this up, it's the way it is.  
No it isn't. You are a LIAR. You use these lies to exploit the patient. Don't let the FACTS get in the way of a good LIE.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #189 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 8:16am

Quote from KV Simons
Quote:
Surgery Line gives surgeries a state of the art phone system and improves patient access

Does it improve patient access?  I don't think so. Patient access depends on how many receptionists there are to answer the phone.  If there aren't enough no telephone system in the world is going to alter that. Hanging on and paying for the privilege is no improvement. In most cases it would be cheaper to use BT's automated fixed charge call back service rather than pay for holding on.

Quote from KV Simons
Quote:
Patients were asked whether Doctors should use the latest technology to improve the experience of patients 89% agreed, that they should.

Lies, damned lies ... and statistics. Did the so called "survey" ask whether patients wanted to fund the installation of the latest technology? Of course not. Using the NEG logic why not ask patients to pay for the latest blood pressure meter, surgical instrument or computer system for the surgery? GPs are self employed business people who pay their business expenses themselves which are then amply and generously refunded by the NHS. Remember recent income hikes for GPs - they now earn £100,000+.  No need to feel sorry for them.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #190 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:11am

From watching this debate, I see two separate issues being discussed.

The first is the question of whether NHS GPs should use "state of the art technology" to provide the best service to patients, at a price which those responsible for managing NHS budgets find reasonable. I cannot see the problem, nor understand what legitimate interest NEG could have beyond this point.

The second is the contentious political issue of NHS funding - is this about the quality of service that NHS GPs provide to their paying customers?

As citizens we may all express personal views on this subject. I cannot see why a company, or someone speaking as its representative rather than as a citizen, would wish to get drawn into a political debate. Perhaps the NEG representative could explain this to me, either directly or through the forum.

I offer thoughts on the second issue, as a citizen.

We have become trained to see ourselves as consumers of services provided to the public. We behave accordingly, demanding "value for money" and "choice". It is therefore natural that many reject the principle of funding NHS services through taxation.

It is absurd to offer "value for money" by providing the most health care to those who pay the most tax, as they may not want it. "Value for money" is only delivered if those who use NHS services the most are those who pay the most.

Unless some options are inferior, there is no meaningful "choice". "Value for money" demands that we pay less for an inferior service (e.g. a doctor using an inadequate telephone system for booking appointments).

Charging fees for booking appointments can help meet the objective of ensuring that people only see their doctor when they really need to. For a serious "choice" to be made when considering booking an appointment, some alternative potential expenditure must have to be sacrificed.

This does not work when the level of the fee is insignificant. The NEG survey referred to in this thread shows that only 18% are sufficiently poor or miserly to be put off from using their doctor with the fees for calling 0844 numbers at their present level.

The NEG representative admits that the fee is too low to affect their own behaviour. The 18% reduction in those competing for the doctor's time actually helps to make it even easier for them to get through to book an unnecessary appointment.

The market is not working properly, as a considerable amount of resource may be being wasted.

To be properly effective, the appointment booking fee would need to be set at a level where all but the very rich (immune to any effect on behaviour by financial imposition) were discouraged from wasting money on unnecessary appointments.

This would also provide an additional benefit by placing doctors under pressure to deliver "value for money" to their customers. If the customer only pays the doctor a few pence for the appointment, demanding "value for money" does not compel the highest standards of care.

If a practice set its charges at an appropriate level it would probably get rid of some patients altogether, which would naturally improve the quality of its services still further. The principle of "choice" would not be lost for the poor and miserly as the demand in the market would doubtless be met by the charitable sector, or private social entrepreneurs, staring up alternative "free to use" services outside the administrative constraints of the NHS.

As NEG appears to wish to claim credit for having helped bring financial pressure to bear on as many as 18% of potential time-wasters, then it is perhaps to be congratulated on this modest achievement.

NEG is a business that is responding to the consumer society. It operates in a free market providing services that its customers choose to buy.

One must assume that NEG is sufficiently open and honest about the prices of its services to its customers to remain within the law. These customers fail to declare the prices they charge to those who become their own customers, or even fail to disclose the fact that they are making any charge. That is however not NEG's responsibility, unless it wishes to admit complicity in this fraud.

Picking a fight over unexceptional levels of hyperbole and misrepresentation in marketing, when NEG has what is seen as convincing consumer research to show the effectiveness of its solution, seems to be a rather fruitless exercise in a consumer society.

If PCTs and other NHS commissioning bodies allow GPs to raise revenue by charging fees, then it is for them to defend this decision against any challenge, through their own channels of accountability. NEG is only accountable through the market, to its potential future customers.

Let the government and the NHS organisation openly declare adoption of consumerism in the NHS. Let them confirm and salute the consumerist definition of "democracy" which proudly allows the preferences of the majority to override the interests of a minority as significant as 18%.

Let us decide whether we wish to be regarded as citizens or consumers in our relationship with the NHS and other public bodies. As with Ofcom's statutory principal duties (repeatedly referred to in this thread), these are distinct roles that may conflict.

(As I am formally retired from campaigning efforts, I cannot conduct extended discussion of these points in this public thread. I can be contacted by email.)

David

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #191 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 11:37am

SilentCallsVictim,

You enter in to a long academic treatise about the rights and wrongs of charging for doctors appointments and whether charging a significant fee should be used to deter what you characterise as timewasters.  Of course in political terms many of the worst "timewasters" like widows over 70 and the long term chronically sick and disabled would have to be exempted from such charges in the same way as they are already exempt from prescription charges.

Wether or not people should pay significant fees to visit their doctor falls outside the scope of this campaign and website and this discussion forum.  The objection of this website and this campaign to doctors using 0844 numbers is that they are a non standard call rate number that are a form of premium rate number that is not being adequately disclosed to consumers.  The construction of the product by NEG and their selling methods are precisely the reason why that extra charge to callers is deliberately hidden and both many doctors and their patients are being hoodwinked in to not realising it exists.

The objection of this website and its members is of the totality of the impact of those 084/7 charges on phone bills in often adding £30 to £50 a quarter on to the phone bills of retired and chronically sick people on low income who cannot afford it and that the charges are anti competitive as unlike 09 calls the existence of the charge is repeatedly hidden from callers.

You campaigned againt Silent Calls which you had a bee in your bonnet about.  Personally I found them happening only very occasionally and a much greater nuisance was voice calls and voice synthesised automated calls from organisations trying to sell me things despite my TPS registration.  I would have thought your Silent Calls campaign ought to also have also encompassed dealing with those nuisance calls as well.

SilentCallsVictim when you suggest the main debate here is about people having to pay a fee to access their doctor you are mistaken. The debate instead is about any service using a non standard priced phone number on which it earns directly or indirectly revenue and then trying to hide the fact that these numbers are not standard rate from their customers.  You will note that members of this site do not normally campaign against 09 numbers, the charges for which are obvious and appreciated by most callers.

So SilentCallsVictim are you with us or against us as from your post I am confused as to your motivations in becoming a member of this website.

<div style=

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #192 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 12:36pm

Here! Here! NGM's Ghost!   A couple of points to the preceding post by Silentcallervictim - 1) It is NOT miserly to resent being charged twice for the same service ie by call package charge and then being charged again for a particular call, especially when this is for an essential service where one may have no real choice of provider.   2)   The point about NEG providing services in a free market to those who are prepared to pay is nonsense - those who are paying are PATIENTS WITH NO CHOICE!   If the doctors were paying for the systems, yes, that is up to them but that is not the case here, they are choosing to buy the system, their patients are paying for it.   3) Why this reference to a "majority" and an 18% minority being insignificant - these figures produced by NEG were based on a sample of a few hundred and cannot legitimately be translated for represent the views of nearly 60 million people!   (yes, they are ALL patients, as you don't have to be an elector participating in democracy to be affected, babies are!)  Also, does anyone on this forum know anyone who was surveyed on behalf of NEG for this poll - I wasn't and I don't?   The question was also so slanted, most people, when asked the question about should doctors used latest technology would think of medical equipment NOT phone systems!

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #193 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 12:45pm

I believe that I share many views in common with NGMsGhost, although we have our differences, notably my distaste for ad hominem argument.

My personal approach to citizens campaigning is to focus on a simple point that is easy to communicate and hard to oppose, and therefore likely to achieve results from the efforts which a small number of people (perhaps only one) can contribute. I offer this brief response here to the point about the campaign which led to me adopting a typically silly alias for forum postings. I would see it as seriously off-topic to discuss that campaign any further, although I see an opportunity for a similar approach (narrowing the issues) to be used to good effect if seeking progress with this particular matter.

If I have misunderstood the membership criteria for this forum, please accept my apologies.

I had noted the issue of whether or not people should pay fees to make an appointkment to visit their doctor (i.e. the revenue sharing issue raised by use of 0844 numbers, as distinct from other NGNs) being discussed in this thread. I see that point as most significant and I aimed to develop it in my contribution with the intention of helping members to focus their thoughts. I am very sorry to find that a leading contributor not only disagrees with me, but rules my contribution to be invalid.

There is also much technical (if not "academic") discussion of the wording used in marketing material aimed at GPs. I see that as being of no great significance in the public domain. I see the way in which NHS GPs react, and are permitted to do so by those who commission their services, as the issue which is of significance for citizens. I do not believe that this central issue is affected to any degree by whether NEG is a bunch of crooks or an honest business with sound prinicples.

If these views, unlike those of representatives of NEG, disqualify me from participation in this forum, then I will reluctantly withdraw altogether, having expressed them once more and offering any necessary apology in advance of a predictable response.

David

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #194 - Aug 14th, 2007 at 1:05pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on Aug 14th, 2007 at 12:45pm:
If these views, unlike those of representatives of NEG, disqualify me from participation in this forum, then I will reluctantly withdraw altogether, having expressed them once more and offering any necessary apology in advance of a predictable response.

SilentCallsVictim,

Anyone is allowed to express their views in this forum, including those from the opposition such as employees of NEG or other NGN number vending and installing organisations.  This is not a forum of the moderator on drugs who regularly closes threads just because the discussion goes in a direction that disagrees with their personal opinions.

However I find it very hard to comprehend that anyone who is opposed to large faceless marketing organisations randomly making unidentified calls to private residences does not also have a problem with a company that has persuaded endless doctors surgeries to change to using a covert premium rate number (see the dictionary definition of premium) covertly.

You even seem to also fall for the "its only a few pence per call extra for this call so what are you complaining about" argument, which seems to show a total lack of appreciation of the scale of the covert premium rate 084/7 abuses in the UK and the £100 to £200 per annum that they add to most UK domestic phone bills that would not be there if the calls were not at a normal price.

Patients of doctors do not pay a price for the service and cannot easily shop around and anyone who tries to move doctors without having also moved addresses is usually regarded with suspicion by the doctor they want to move to as probably being a troublemaker.  This indicates that GP services have all the hallmarks of a state controlled, state run system as in the private sector businesses are nearly always happy and faling over themselves to see new customers.

I applaud and support your succes on your Silent Calls campaign but I am puzzled that you now of your own volition bring yourself to this site and yet do not seem to properly embrace our opposition to all premium rate services operated by private businesses which are covert (by using 084 and 087 numbers) and to all premium rate services operated by any sector of government or any government agencies be they covert or overt.

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge