Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers (Read 472,347 times)
Bluetack

Re: Hall of Shame: Companies changing numbers
Reply #60 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:12pm

Hello All  Smiley

I am a retailer and am always very frstrated by companies using NGN's that cost me £££££££'s

I recently had a large problem with Barclaycard Merchant Services and was forced to use their premium rate 08706060060 number for several calls.

I ended up getting a reasonable refund for the calls Smiley after complaining bitterly at the cost. The girl informed me that it won't be a problem for me in the future because they are in the process of changing all their 0870 numbers - yippee I thought.

Big Mistake

They are all going to be 0844 now she said.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #61 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 2:20pm

You should be grateful that they are switching to 0844 numbers - the vast majority of companies that use 0870 numbers are migrating to more expensive 0871 numbers.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #62 - Aug 11th, 2007 at 3:01pm

idb wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 11:53pm:
http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10327~1083772,00.html

Bristol City FC

Can't copy and paste text, at least not without disproportionate effort, so:

0870 number being replaced with 0871.

New number described as 'national rate'

See url above.

I e-mailed them yesterday, pointing out the misleading description of this number, and lo and behold they have removed the reference to "national rate".

At least some people listen, even though they did not actually reply to me.

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #63 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:29pm

GrahamH wrote on Apr 14th, 2007 at 3:45pm:
BMW Dealers (why am I not surpised?). If you look for cars on the Autotrader website, their dealers nearly all use an 0871 number to max out their revenue over the weekend, which is when I guess they get most enquiries

Luckily www.bmw.co.uk (mostly) still has the geographic versions;D,

If someone feels like harvesting the 0871 numbers, I've made a spreadsheet with the geographic ones to match them against

Excuse my intrusion, but the use of 0871's is to eliminate canvas calls and provide accurate feedback on volume of calls recieved per advert. I am sure anyone requesting their 10p back would get it if they asked the dealer!

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #64 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:40pm

Why would anybody canvas call a BMW dealership? I'm sure as soon as they heard "Hello, BMW blah blah blah" they would be "sorry, wrong number". And are you willing to see if BMW will refund you the money from your call? Hardly likely I think.

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #65 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 1:09pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 12:29pm:
Excuse my intrusion, but the use of 0871's is to eliminate canvas calls and provide accurate feedback on volume of calls recieved per advert. I am sure anyone requesting their 10p back would get it if they asked the dealer!

So why not historically use an 0845 number and going forward an 03 number that costs no extra.  Where is the need for a covert Premium Rate soon to be ICSTIS controlled 0871 number?

As to suggesting they will give you your money back you know this won't happen any more that it will at an NEG's doctors surgery.

The reason they use 0871 is because they want to steal money from their callers for calling them.  I don't how they think this will work?  Even my most mobile addicted friend who has an old O2 contract that includes 0870 numbers in bundled minutes knows never to call an 0871 number if he wants to avoid financial ruin.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #66 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:41pm

Yes, but this does not mean it has to be 0871 and it does not mean, if it is 0871, that it has to be at 10p/min. You can receive calls on 0844/5 numbers for no charge and it costs callers less than 10p/min, although more than 01/02 numbers. Did the nice salesman from the telephone company not explain this to you?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #67 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:03pm

Dave wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:41pm:
Did the nice salesman from the telephone company not explain this to you?  Roll Eyes

How do we know that NEG doen't act as its own telecoms company given the number of UK calls it now generates?

If not which bunch of unprincipled so and sos is it currently in bed with?

<div style=

IP Logged

simond001

Reply #68 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:13pm

Dave wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 5:41pm:

Yes, but this does not mean it has to be 0871 and it does not mean, if it is 0871, that it has to be at 10p/min. You can receive calls on 0844/5 numbers for no charge and it costs callers less than 10p/min, although more than 01/02 numbers. Did the nice salesman from the telephone company not explain this to you?  Roll Eyes

I have learnt in the one day i have been on this forum, (and only then because one of your esteemed member decided to lie about me and misrepresent me on it) that reality has no place here. In response to your pathetically sarcastic mail above i will explain.

A 0871 number can cost between 6ppm and 10ppm depending on the number range used, and the carrier can then apply to have the range rerated at a higher or lower rate. The benefit of 0871 numbers (and 0844 numbers) is that the cost of the call is the same 24/7. This means that any rebates that are paid can be applied to all calls, not just calls between 8am and 6pm (the working day as defined by BT).

There is a cost involved in generating and managing NGN numbers, nothing in life is free. That may be a suprise to you but it is a reality.  It also needs to be considered that these numbers have a very short life, and need to be constantly re terminated as adverts change.

I also find it interesting that you have highlighted the 0871 numbers that are used in car ads, but not the 070 numbers that are also used. Either this shows a lack of understanding with the pricing structure of NGN's or you are supporting the more expensive, but less lambasted services.

As a little lesson i will advise that the 070 ranges cost up to 50ppm, and some cost 50p per connection. Suddenly the 0871 at 10p or less looks like value for money.

I welcome some of the cost saving benefits that sites like moneysaver.com promote, where they are a true value for consumers, and the number search side of this website (that i have used previously and promoted to my clients). I however feel that the bigotted attitude shown against anybody who tries to justify NGN's devalues the benefits that this site offers. It is a shame that you let down what is on the whole a valuable site.

If anybody would like to discuss, please mail me. I do not hide behind a mask, my name is available to anyone who has the manners to use their own. I feel however that as with my offer to NGM'sghost, this will not happen as those that shout loudest, do it from the mask of the internet.

S J Simmons

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #69 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:17pm

The last few posts were more suited on the thread specifically for NEG here and as such have been moved.

This specific post shall be removed shortly.
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:37pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #70 - Aug 13th, 2007 at 7:40pm

simond001 wrote on Aug 13th, 2007 at 6:13pm:
A 0871 number can cost between 6ppm and 10ppm depending on the number range used, and the carrier can then apply to have the range rerated at a higher or lower rate. The benefit of 0871 numbers (and 0844 numbers) is that the cost of the call is the same 24/7. This means that any rebates that are paid can be applied to all calls, not just calls between 8am and 6pm (the working day as defined by BT).

This "benefit" is the service provider's (receiving party's) and not the callers.

The reason for Say No To 0870 being is because the price of a call to a UK landline should be just that. Anything above this is a premium, and that is going by the dictionary definition of the word. This means that the price of a telephone call connecting party A to party B is for just that.

Putting a revenue-sharing NGN in between the caller and receiver is like charging the caller for the receiver's telephone system. This cost should be met by the receiver and this is what we stand for on here.

There is a free market with telecoms. In this case, the person/party making the choice is the call receiver, but this is paid for by the caller! Therefore, there is nothing driving down the price of the service. Indeed, it's not in a NGN provider's interest to reduce the amount the caller pays, but rather, the opposite is true. Which is most probably the reason most 0871s and 0844s are at the highest pricing point permissible.

There is a cost involved in generating and managing NGN numbers, nothing in life is free. That may be a suprise to you but it is a reality. …

I didn't ever say that telcos should provide such services (statistics, call routing etc) for free. But as I said, the cost should be met by the receiving party, else it is, by definition, a premium number.

… It also needs to be considered that these numbers have a very short life, and need to be constantly re terminated as adverts change.

That's a problem for marketing people. The cost of changing numbers is a marketing expense and is in no way connected to the provision of telecommunications.

I welcome some of the cost saving benefits that sites like moneysaver.com promote, where they are a true value for consumers, and the number search side of this website (that i have used previously and promoted to my clients). I however feel that the bigotted attitude shown against anybody who tries to justify NGN's devalues the benefits that this site offers. It is a shame that you let down what is on the whole a valuable site.

The members of this website stand for price transparency. The technical benefits of NTS are not in doubt and that's where 03 numbers come in.

However, the current use of 084/087 numbers has been built on misleading descriptions like 0845 being "local rate". To this day, telcos market these numbers to companies using these terms and those service providers incorrectly identify how much their customers pay.

Coming out with the truth that this is not the case is like shutting the stable after the horse has bolted.

IP Logged

trickyd

Manchester
Reply #71 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:10am

One for the Hall of Fame- Emap magazine Country Walking has now reverted to listing geographical Peterborough (01733) numbers instead of 0870

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #72 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:15am

trickyd wrote on Aug 25th, 2007 at 9:10am:
One for the Hall of Fame- Emap magazine Country Walking has now reverted to listing geographical Peterborough (01733) numbers instead of 0870

Surely they should be mentioned in a Thumbs Up to Companies Who Have Got The Message thread.

Hall of Shame is confined to those adopting 084/7 numbers for the first time or switching from 0870 to 0871.

<div style=

IP Logged

Ricardo

Reply #73 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 11:26pm

I see that Currys have changed their numbers to 0844 both on their website and in their adverts. These are charged at 5p/min at all times. Still I suppose it's better than 0871.
Ricardo

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #74 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 11:44pm

PC World (unsurprisingly) have also changed to an 0844 number (in the same range as Currys).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge