Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50
Send Topic Print
NEG propaganda (Read 709,980 times)
SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #600 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:32am

"Lord Darzi will answer your questions on the Downing Street website this Thursday morning"

http://www.webchat.pm.gov.uk/index.asp?webchatID=73

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #601 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:20am

http://www.daventrytoday.co.uk/news/Phone-number-scrapped-after-calls.4248225.jp

Phone number scrapped after calls from patients

<<
A CONTROVERSIAL phone number has been dropped by a Daventry GP practice after finding patients were waiting in queues and being cut off.

Danetre Medical Practice, in London Road, has switched back to its old 01327 703333 number after finding a new automated phone booking system, using an 0844 number to pay for it, did not meet expectations.

The practice started using the 0844 in March saying it would improve patient service by automatically allowing people to book, check or cancel appointments at any time of the day.

However a number of people objected to the new number saying it would cost more than calling a 01327 number, especially for those on free local call packages or those who only had a mobile.

Practice manager Ruth Farthing said: “Patients just couldn’t get through and we could not work out whose fault it was.

“We had BT here, the software people here, and the 0844 number people here just trying to work out what wasn’t working.

“The suppliers could see people weren’t using the number because they just couldn’t get through so they released us from the contract, which was for three years.”

An online system which patients can register with to pick their own appointments, check and cancel them, which was introduced at the same time has proved a success and continues to run and the practice is keen to get more patients using it to help free up the phones.

John Birch was one of those who opposed the 0844 number. He said: “I think Danetre have handled the situation very professionally after receiving what must have been a great number of complaints and realised they’ve been sold a pup that doesn’t work.

“As a patient at the practice I can say the online system is a wonderful improvement and although the 0844 number solved the problem of hundreds of patients calling at once, I think the idea of revenue-sharing phonelines wasn’t the right way to do it.”
>>

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #602 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:33am

idb wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 10:20am:
<<
Danetre Medical Practice, in London Road, has switched back to its old 01327 703333 number after finding a new automated phone booking system, using an 0844 number to pay for it, did not meet expectations.
“As a patient at the practice I can say the online system is a wonderful improvement and although the 0844 number solved the problem of hundreds of patients calling at once, I think the idea of revenue-sharing phonelines wasn’t the right way to do it.”
>>

This is great victory against the improper practice of using revenue sharing numbers to fund improvements to NHS services. It is clear that advanced telephone systems can be provided on geographic numbers.

The point that is highlighted does however suggest that NGNs can provide additional capacity for queuing calls, and this may have been sacrificed in this case. It may therefore be that we should be tolerant of the need for 03xx numbers to be used in some circumstances, where special features are required but revenue sharing is unacceptable.

There are examples of geographic numbers being used for high volume response lines, however these are rare and there may be special circumstances or special techniques used to enable this.

(I do not know the answers, I simply suggest that we keep an open mind about the technical benefits of NGNs and press for use of 03xx where benefits are claimed to exist.)

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #603 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:16pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health-news/2008/07/13/patients-being-ripped-o...

Patients being ripped off by GP phone charges

Jul 13 2008 by Gavin O'Connor, Wales On Sunday

<<
PATIENTS making calls to book an appointment at a surgery are being charged at least FIVE times the normal rate through expensive phone lines.

A Wales on Sunday investigation into the costs of making a call to a GP surgery has led the Welsh Assembly Government’s health chief to launch her own probe after complaints that patients were being ripped off.

As patients are unable to call in to the surgery to make an appointment in person, they are forced to make a phone call, with many getting stuck in long queues.

The 0844 number is used by dozens of health centres around Wales and is among the most expensive available.

Opposition AMs have also slammed the system and said surgeries should provide the cheapest service possible.

Some surgeries use the number, which is seen as the most practical and efficient, as a revenue generating enterprise. However, patients using the 0844 numbers to make an emergency appointment can sometimes be left in a queue for more than 20 minutes.

Ofcom, the independent authority for the UK communications industry, has advised public bodies use a cheaper 03 system, but cannot enforce it.

“It’s up to the surgery itself, we do not regulate them,” said a spokeswoman. “Any company or business can take them on. However, for services for the NHS, we have encouraged clinics to talk to the Department for Health to use the cheaper 03 numbers.

“We allocate numbers in blocks of thousands and it’s then up to businesses and communication providers which ones they take. In terms of the 0844 and 0845 numbers, they can be very useful for routing calls and call management systems.

“The 0844 numbers can be up to 5p per minute from a landline, but obviously more expensive from a mobile. We would advise customers to find out the cost of calling these numbers before doing so. Companies can also alert the public what the costs are but, again, we can’t enforce that.”

Wales on Sunday conducted a sweep of all the 22 local authorities in the country and found 31 health centres used the 0844 number.

Some practice managers admitted the system helped to generate funds, while others were unaware of the costs patients were faced with.

In Pembrokeshire, a quarter of all surgeries use the 0844 number.

Bernardine Rees, chief executive of Pembrokeshire Local Health Board, confirmed the number of practices using the expensive tariff and said the system was not encouraged.

“The LHB has no control over which number an individual practice chooses to use it, as they are private contractors,” she said.

“We understand practices negotiate their own business plan before installation of the 0844 telephone number, directly with the telephone company.

“The LHB does not encourage practices to use 0844 numbers.”

Wales on Sunday contacted all of the surgeries using the 0844 number in Pembrokeshire, but only one would comment.

That was from Sue Dooley, practice manager at Saundersfoot Medical Centre in Westfield Road, who, through her secretary, said she did not want to talk about the use of the number.

Criccieth Health Centre in Gwynedd has the 0844 system supplied by Network Europe Group Technologies (NEG).

The company runs an enterprise called NEG Surgery Line which boasts millions of patients as users.

Sally Lloyd-Davies, Criccieth practice manager, said: “We can’t deny there is some comeback (financially) with the system.

“But you can argue it saves in other areas which attract costs.

“There have been complaints but we’ve answered every single comment successfully and there is clear information about the cost of making the calls to the surgery.”

Wales on Sunday made several attempts, over three days, to contact NEG to discuss the popularity of 0844, but nobody was made available for comment.

In South Wales, Rhymney Health Centre is supplied the number by a communications company called Redstone.

Cheryl Meyrick, practice manager at the surgery, said: “We did have the 0870 number, which the Assembly said we could have, but because of the extra costs, we were told not to use it any longer.

“That’s why we took up the 0844. It benefited us immediately because we suddenly had five lines coming in, instead of the one.

“It is state of the art equipment and we signed a five-year contract which has three years to run.

“But I thought it was on a par with the 01 number in terms of cost. I didn’t realise the difference in costs from mobiles and landlines to the number.”

Wales on Sunday also made several attempts to speak to Redstone about the 0844 package, but nobody was made available for comment.

Sarah Thomas, practice manager at Nantymoel Surgery in Bridgend, said: “When we had the old system in place we were unable to cope with the volume of calls so we had to go for the most effective service we could find – the one which could offer a direct transfer for out-of-hours calls.

“The previous system caused absolute chaos during the mornings.

“This current phone contract expires next year and we’ll be looking to upgrade again.”

Three years ago, Dr Brian Gibbons, the then Health Minister for the Assembly, introduced a ban on premium- rate numbers.

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #604 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:17pm

After being alerted to the issue by Wales on Sunday, a spokesman for the Welsh Assembly Government said it would now investigate the matter because of the expensive cost still being met by patients.

The spokesman said: “The Welsh Assembly Government issued guidance to GP practices to move from these premium rate numbers to the low-call 0844 or 0845 numbers which would cost a maximum of 5p per minute from a landline.

“These numbers also make it easier for patients to contact their GP with access to more advanced telephone systems, including the ability to be automatically transferred to appointments or other teams within the practice.

“However, we have received complaints that people using mobile phones instead of a landline to call these numbers are charged a higher rate and Health Minister Edwina Hart is looking at this and considering what action can be taken to alleviate this issue.”

Jenny Randerson, the Welsh Liberal Democrats health spokeswoman, said: “This use of expensive numbers was meant to be phased out and this current situation is not good enough.

“Surgeries need to provide the cheapest service possible.”

Jonathan Morgan, shadow health spokesman for the Conservatives, said: “The Assembly Government is right to have a look at this.

“When the GPs’ contract was drawn up it promised greater and easier access to GPs and the whole idea is to expand primary care.

“It is not acceptable for any surgery to opt for a telephone system which costs more than the standard system.”

'I made three calls to my surgery... they cost me £7'

ONE furious patient said she spent 20 minutes on her mobile phone in a queue waiting to put through.

The mum of three, who did not want to be named, said: “I only realised how much I was spending on the calls after my mobile phone top-up credit nearly ran out.

“I called Morlais surgery in Merthyr Tydfil from my landline at 8.30am to book an emergency appointment, but 20 minutes later, I was still being held in the queue.

“I had to hang up because I needed to take the children to school, but called the number later on, on my mobile.

“When I checked what credit I had left, it had gone down from £3 to 11p and I wasn’t on for that long.

“Days later, my landline provider informed me about the high cost of the 0844 calls. During the month, I’d made three calls and I was charged about £7.

“When I explained this was the GP’s surgery, she said it was a disgusting amount to be charged just for trying to book an appointment.

“It shocked me, because I didn’t realise how much it cost.”

Another young mum who contacted the surgery said: “Last week, I was number 60 in the queue, waiting to make an emergency appointment.

“You’re worried about getting to see a doctor but, at the same time, you’re thinking about how much you’re bill is going to be.”

Wales on Sunday contacted Morlais Medical Practice in Merthyr Tydfil to ask about the use of 0844, but nobody was made available for comment.

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #605 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Surgeries under fire...

The Welsh surgeries using the 0844 numbers, according to the Local Health Board websites, are:

CARDIFF

Grange Surgery, Clare Road, Grangetown 0844 477 1890.

Butetown Health Centre, Loudoun Square, Butetown 0844 477 1891.

The Health Centre, Cambridge Street, Grangetown 0844 477 1892.

The Surgery, St David’s Court, Cowbridge Road East 0844 477 8713.

The Surgery, Salisbury Road, Cathays 0844 477 8714.

Riverside Health Centre, Canton Court, Wellington Street 0844 477 8710.

Branch Surgeries at Penhill Road 0844 477 8709.

PEMBROKESHIRE

Argyle Medical Group, Argyle Street, Pembroke Dock 0844 499 6946.

St Clement’s Surgery, St Clement’s Road, Neyland 0844 499 6950.

St Oswald’s Surgery, The Parade, Pembroke 0844 499 6946.

Saundersfoot Medical Centre, Westfield Road, Saundersfoot 0844 477 2447.

The Surgery, The Norton, Tenby 0844 477 3187

WREXHAM

Borras Park Surgery, Borras Park Road 0844 477 8601.

CEREDIGION

Meddygfa Teifi Surgery, New Road, Llandysul 0844 815 1117.

BRIDGEND

Oak Tree Surgery, Whitethorn Drive, Brackla 0844 477 1795.

Nantymoel Surgery, Nantymoel 0844 477 0923.

The Medical Centre, Heol Yr Onnen, Pencoed, Bridgend 0844 477 8890.

RHONDDA CYNON TAF

The Medical Centre, Tredegar Avenue, Llanharan, Pontyclun 0844 477 8792.

CAERPHILLY

Meddygfa Tridwr, Thomas Street, Abertridwr 0844 477 8635.

Pontlottyn Surgery, Stuart Street, Pontlottyn, Bargoed 0844 499 8414.

Abertysswg Community Centre, Community Centre, The Green, Rhymney 0844 499 8414.

LLANDUDNO

The Medical Centre, Plas Penrhyn, Penrhyn Bay 0844 477 3342.

CONWY

Medical Centre, York Road, Deganwy 0844 477 3343.

GWYNEDD

The Health Centre, Criccieth 0844 576 9087.

Ty Doctor, Ffordd Dewi Sant, Nefyn 0844 815 1166.

Bron Meirion, Penrhyndeudraeth 0844 477 2493.

CWMBRAN

Llanyravon Surgery, Llanyravon Way, Torfaen 0844 477 8630

VALE OF GLAMORGAN

Albert Road Surgery, Albert Road, Penarth 0844 477 5191.

Redlands Surgery, Redlands Road, Penarth 0844 477 3591.

BLAENAU GWENT

Six Bells Medical Centre, Eastville Road, Six Bells, Abertillery 0844 477 8564.

MERTHYR TYDFIL

Morlais Medical Practice, Ty Morlais, Berry Square, Dowlais 0844 477 2483.

The standard cost, from a BT landline, is:

0800 and 0808, free of charge

0845 calls, charged up to 3.95p per minute.

0844 calls, up to 5p per minute.

0870 calls, up to 7.9p per minute.

0871 calls, up to 10p per minute.

Calls to these numbers are chargeable at higher rates from mobile phones, but the price differs depending on which company is providing the service. Calls to 03 numbers cost no more than calls to numbers beginning 01 and 02, about 1p or less, and are included in any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes. The person you are calling is also prevented from earning a revenue share of the call costs.

gavin.o’connor@mediawales.co.uk

>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Reply #606 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 12:25am

http://www.managementinpractice.com/default.asp?title=Ministerstoprobecomplaints...

Ministers to probe complaints over high cost of calling surgeries
Tuesday 15th July 2008

<<
The Welsh government is investigating after a newspaper inquiry showed that patients telephoning to book a GP appointment are paying at least five times the normal rate through premium phone lines.

Wales on Sunday revealed that the 0844 prefix, used by dozens of health centres around Wales, costs callers up to 5p per minute from a landline, and considerably more from a mobile phone. Communications regulator Ofcom advises public bodies to use the cheaper 03 prefix, but cannot insist they do so.

"It's up to the surgery itself, we do not regulate them," an Ofcom spokeswoman told the newspaper. [ie it's nowt to do with us, even though we created this problem in the first place] "Any company or business can take them on. However, for services for the NHS, we have encouraged clinics to talk to the Department for Health to use the cheaper 03 numbers.

She said that numbers were allocated in blocks of thousands and that it was up to businesses and communication providers which ones to take. The 0844 and 0845 numbers were useful for routing calls and call management systems, she added.

The Welsh Assembly Government had previously advised GP practices to move from premium rate numbers to the cheaper 0844 or 0845 numbers. Health Minister Edwina Hart is now to launch her own probe following the complaints.
>>

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #607 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:24am

I do not normally contribute in this way, however the following may be of interest to forum guests and members:

http://www.bedsonsunday.com/bedsonsunday-news/displayarticle.asp?id=330435

Bedfordshire on Sunday – 13 July 2008

<< Number's up for GPs using costly codes

MP Nadine Dorries has slammed GPs surgeries for profiting from telephone calls from their patients.

Several GP practices in the county only provide 084 numbers for patients wishing to contact their surgery.

These numbers are charged at higher rates than the geographical rate.

Surgerys that use 084 are:

Dr Basra, with practices at Bushmead Avenue, Bedford and Victoria Road, Bedford

Dr Kirkham and partners, Biggleswade Health Centre, Saffron Road, Biggleswade,

Dr Ling and partners, The Highlands, Flitwick

Dr Marner and partners, Cater Street, Kempston

Houghton Close Surgery, Ampthill

Salisbury House Surgery, Lake Street, Leighton Buzzard.

Numbers beginning with 084 cost up to four pence a minute more than using the standard area code number.

This means that people ringing their surgeries for appointments or advice will have to pay a premium rate.

Phoning from a mobile phone can be up to 40 pence more expensive a minute.

Telecommunications watchdog Ofcom has said that public sector bodies should not use chargeable 08 numbers Mrs Dorries said, "I am extremely concerned about the use of non-geographic, and higher rate, 0844 and 0845 telephone numbers by GP surgeries and out-ofhours doctor services and the implication this may have on access to care for patients.

"The Minister for Care Services recently intimated that there would be a gathering of evidence by the Government into the problem, though he stopped short of making a firm commitment on the matter of contact with GP surgeries.

"I am committed to an NHS whose services are shaped around the needs and preferences of individual patients, and which works to reduce, not exacerbate, health inequalities - the use of costly non-geographic numbers, after all, is likely to affect those on low incomes or with chronic illnesses most severely.

"I will continue to press the Government on their handling of this matter in terms of GP services."

A PCT spokesman said: "We wrote to all GP practices in Bedfordshire earlier in the year, advising that the Department of Health is currently looking at the use of 084 numbers in response to patients' concerns about higher call charges in some situations.

"A small number of practices had already adopted 084 numbers to improve telephone access for their patients.

"We would want to ensure that such systems benefit rather than disadvantage patients and have advised that any other practices considering changing to this number should not do so until there is clear guidance on this from the Department of Health which is expected soon."
>>

This, and other media articles in this area, have been drawn to the attention of the PCT, other media and a number of other local MPs, along with comments. I am led to believe that we can expect further activity in Bedfordshire.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #608 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:27am

Further to the items above covering the major article in Wales on Sunday, there have also been the following:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2008/07/14/patients-paying-extr...

Daily Post (North Wales)

<<
Patients paying extra for GP phone calls

Jul 14 2008 by Deborah James

PATIENTS making calls to book an appointment at GP surgeries are being charged at least five times the normal rate through expensive phone lines.

The Welsh Assembly Government’s health chief is to launch her own probe after complaints that patients were being ripped off.

The 0844 number is used by dozens of health centres around Wales and is among the most expensive available.

Opposition AMs have also slammed the system and said surgeries should provide the cheapest service possible.

Patients using the 0844 numbers to make an emergency appointment can sometimes be left in a queue for more than 20 minutes.

Ofcom, the independent authority for the UK communications industry, has advised public bodies use a cheaper 03 system, but cannot enforce it.

Among the surgeries under fire Criccieth Health Centre in Gwynedd has the 0844 system supplied by Network Europe Group Technologies (NEG).

The company runs an enterprise called NEG Surgery Line which boasts millions of patients as users.

Sally Lloyd-Davies, Criccieth practice manager, said: “We can’t deny there is some comeback (financially) with the system.

“But you can argue it saves in other areas which attract costs.

“There have been complaints but we’ve answered every single comment successfully and there is clear information about the cost of making the calls to the surgery.”

No-one was available to comment from NEG.

An Assembly spokesman said: “We have received complaints that people using mobile phones instead of a landline to call these numbers are being charged a higher rate.

“Health Minister Edwina Hart is looking at this and considering what action can be taken to alleviate this issue.”
>>

(continued below)

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #609 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:29am

(continued from #608)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-news/2008/07/14/hart-to-look-at-gp-pho...

<<
Hart to look at GP phone rates cost

Jul 14 2008 by Gavin O'Connor, South Wales Echo

AN investigation has been launched into South Wales surgeries using premium rate telephone lines.

Patients are continuing to pay over the odds when it comes to booking emergency appointments because of the use of the 0844 number.

The high-rate call system is used by 31 health centres across Wales and is among the top end of charges, with 18 surgeries in South Wales using the number.

The Welsh Assembly Government’s health minister Edwina Hart said she will look into the high cost of the phone calls to surgeries following a number of complaints.

Some practice managers have confirmed the revenue-generating 0844 number gives them back a direct percentage of money made.

However, other bosses are unaware of the financial burden on patients who use mobile phones to book appointments.

One young mum, who did not want to be named, got a double hit on her landline and mobile phone and described the charges as “disgusting”.

“I called Morlais surgery in Merthyr from my landline at 8.30am to book an emergency appointment, but, 20 minutes later, I was still in the queue.

“I had to hang up because I needed to take the children to school, but called the number later on, on my mobile.

“When I checked what credit I had left, it had gone down from £3 to 11p, and I wasn’t on for that long.

“Days later, my landline provider informed me about the high cost of the 0844 calls. During the month I’d made three calls and I was charged about £7. It shocked me, because I didn’t realise how much it cost.”

Another young mum who contacted the surgery said: “Last week I was number 60 in the queue, waiting to make an emergency appointment.

“You’re worried about getting to see a doctor but, at the same time, you’re thinking about how much your bill is going to be.”

Nobody at Morlais Medical Practice in Merthyr Tydfil was available for comment.

Rhymney Health Centre is also supplied the number by a communications company called Redstone.

Cheryl Meyrick, practice manager at the surgery, said: “It benefited us immediately because we suddenly had five lines coming in, instead of the one.

“It is state-of-the-art equipment and we signed a five-year contract which has three years to run.

“But I thought it was on a par with the 01 number in terms of cost.

Several attempts were made to speak to Redstone about the 0844 package, but nobody was made available for comment.

A spokesman for the Welsh Assembly Government said: “We have received complaints that people using mobile phones instead of a landline to call these numbers are charged a higher rate and the Health Minister Edwina Hart is looking at this and considering what action can be taken to alleviate this issue.”

Jenny Randerson, the Welsh Liberal Democrats Health spokeswoman, said the system was “not good enough”.

“Surgeries need to provide the cheapest service possible,” she said.

Jonathan Morgan, shadow health spokesman for the Conservatives, said: “It is not acceptable for any surgery to opt for a telephone system which costs more than the standard system.”

gavin.o’connor@mediawales.co.uk
>>

Media and a number of AMs have been briefed on developments in England and the common issue which stands for the NHS as a whole.

(The UK parliament does not directly govern the NHS in Wales however its lead is generally followed, although the Wales government has abolished prescription charges and hospital car parking charges for patients and visitors.)

IP Logged

redant

Reply #610 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 8:13am

Ironic that the Welsh Assembly government ant the National Assdembly both use 0845 contact numbers although I believe the WAG are concidering changing to an 03 contact number. See attached email from WAG.

Hello
Vivienne, one of my team in Morgenstown, asked me to contact you regarding our use of 0845 numbers for the Welsh Assembly Government switchboard.

She explained that you wanted to complain about the use of the numbers, particularly in relation to cost.

We do publicise an international number which does not use a non-geographic prefix, to make life easier for individuals to contact us from abroad, this is:

International Enquiry Number (+44) 1443 845500

The Welsh Assembly Government changed its main contact number to an 0845 number in April 2006. It is important to stress that the Welsh Assembly Government receives no income or costs from these calls. The reason the 0845 numbers were chosen was that they were non geographic, allowing callers from across Wales and the UK to ring the Welsh Assembly Government at the same rate (i.e. the further away from Cardiff – the old 02920 geographic code, the cheaper your call becomes). The number also reflects the dispersed locations of our switchboard team across Wales and makes it possible for us to base staff in different locations.

We are exploring the option of introducing 0300 numbers for the Welsh Assembly Government (and have reserved appropriate numbers already) as this would allow us to keep our dispersed locations with a non geographic prefix and callers are charged the same as if they had dialled an 01 or 02 geographic number.  This applies whether the call is being made from a landline, mobile or payphone. 0300 minutes are included in ‘packaged call deals’ available from telecoms providers e.g. a customer may have 200 ‘free’ call minutes per month with their mobile or landline contract.  Any calls to an 0300 number would come from this 200 minute total. Again there is no income or costs to the Welsh Assembly Government for these calls.

Any feedback you would like to provide would be welcome, in particular in relation to the potential for us to introduce 0300 numbers.

Please note that I am on leave on Monday and Tuesday next week, so please copy Ian Evans (cc'd into this message) my colleague into any response if you would like it to be dealt with before Weds 9th July.

Rebecca

Rebecca Davies
Head of the Assembly Government Library & Public Enquiry Service /
Pennaeth Gwasanaeth Llyfrgell ac Ymholiadau Cyhoeddus Llywodraeth y Cynulliad
Knowledge and Information Management Division / Yr Is-adran Rheoli Gwybodaeth a Hysbysrwydd
Welsh Assembly Government / Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru
Cathays Park
Cardiff CF10 3NQ
( 029 2082 3362  e-mail / e-bost rebecca.davies12@wales.gsi.gov.uk

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #611 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:11pm

redant wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 8:13am:
The reason the 0845 numbers were chosen was that they were non geographic, allowing callers from across Wales and the UK to ring the Welsh Assembly Government at the same rate (i.e. the further away from Cardiff – the old 02920 geographic code, the cheaper your call becomes).

Same old BS. They changed the number in April 2006, differentials between local and national were abolished in July 2004.
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:13pm by derrick »  

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #612 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:27pm

derrick wrote on Jul 16th, 2008 at 1:11pm:
Same old BS.

Speaking with many people, on both sides of the argument, it is astonishing how few understand that whilst separate local and national rates still appear on price lists they do not apply to the vast majority of residential customers.

This is a widespread common misunderstanding. It is however inexcusable on the part of those who make decisions about adoption of non-geographic numbers. Given the clear understanding of 03xx numbers, it is somewhat surprising.

The message quoted above appears to contain a general invitation for feedback by email.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #613 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 11:44am

A little research has found that the Welsh Assembly Government followed the error made by the Department of Health in permitting GPs to use 0844 numbers with Surgery Line.

A circular issued in January 2006 - http://www.wales.nhs.uk/documents/WHC_2005_089.pdf - indicates a false understanding that there is some fundamental difference between 0870 “National Rate” and 0844 “Lo-call rate” numbers. It also states that the Welsh Assembly Government was working “with the assistance of NEG Ltd”.

The equivalent announcement from the Department of Health, which covers only NHS services in England,  is a news release of 24 February 2005 - http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Pressreleases/DH_4104023.

This contains the totally false statement that 0844 numbers “offer patients a guaranteed low call rate”. There is no record of any such guarantee being offered by anyone. Rates for calling 0844 numbers are only low when compared with those for calling other revenue sharing and premium rate numbers. The call type “g6” numbers used with Surgery Line are invariably more expensive to call than geographic (or 03xx) numbers. Other 0844 (and 0845) numbers are more expensive in many cases.

One may only speculate about how the two governments came to misunderstand this issue. It is however interesting to read a statement in the public domain that NEG was involved in the process. Although involvement in the DH process at that time, and again in the recently concluded “evidence gathering”, is claimed by NEG, there is no formal record of this from the DH.

If, in the absence of any other, perhaps NEG was itself the guarantor of a “low call rate” for calling Surgery Line numbers. If this were to be established, then patients accessing “free at the point of need” NHS services would perhaps wish to claim on this guarantee by inviting NEG to re-pay the excess costs involved in funding the revenue share used to fund this NHS service.

I make this point only as a reflection on what may have happened in the past. What is needed now is an effective restoration of the principle of "free at the point of need" throughout the UK and a determination that no such errors will be made in future.

Input from citizens to the respective enquiries has not been solicited directly. The following two URLs, amongst others, do however provide contact details for the relevant ministers:

http://new.wales.gov.uk/about/cabinet/cabinetm/edwinahart?lang=en
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/ministerial_responsibilities/departments/dh.aspx

IP Logged

redant

Reply #614 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 1:28pm

Whilst nothing to do with non-geographic numbers. but will show the confusion in Welsh politics. Prescriptions are free in Wales for all Welsh patients but if through necessity a Welsh patient has to travel to England to receive treatment and prescription is issued by an English Hospital, even though the prescription is processed in Wales the patient must pay. This is currently under review and Edwina Hart has written to advise me it will be resolved within 6 months.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, CJT-80, Dave, DaveM, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge