NEG propaganda (Read 708,598 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: NEG propaganda
Reply #615 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 8:50am

On an entirely different tack ....

VERY GOOD NEWS!!!

BBC TV "Breakfast" has shown "NEWSWATCH" this morning in which there is discussion about their move to 0370 numbers.   See the link below to watch this online.  I also believe that this item may be repesated at around 08.45 this morning and again on Breakfast tomorrow.   The item is after half way through the Newswatch item.

During the piece Michael Scott of the BBC is interviewed and interestingly he says that the BBC wanted to make the switch from 0870 without "running up a bigger phone bill for the BBC".   He implies that there has been no cost, or additional cost to the BBC in this move and this has great implications for our campaign!!!    It indicates, for example, that NHS Direct are wrong to suggest that moving from their 0845 number to an 03 number would cost them extra.   Of course they might lose their revenue share but they have always categorically denied getting any revenue share and even went to great length to get BT Global Services to provide a written statement confirming that NHSD get no revenue share (hoist by their own petard?).    

This means that all the other Quangos and government departments cannot argue that they cannot afford to move to 03 because of the cost.   This entirely counters statements by the Contact Council that moves to 03 would cost them and provides us with a solid argument and evidence when we are disputing this matter with other abusers of 084/7 numbers.  

Interestingly, GPs always claim that they are making no money from their use of 0844/5 numbers so .... they could all switch easily to 03 numbers Wink Kiss Cool Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin      

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7510000/newsid_7514800/7514804.stm?bw=bb...

Edited:
More on the BBC's change from 0870 to 0370 in this thread.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2008 at 3:36pm by Dave »  
Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

pjaj

Reply #616 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Pretty much the same responses at a Surgery in Abingdon. When I contacted the practice manager I made the following points:

"I refer you to a recent government response to a petition concerning
the use of 0844 and 0845 (non geographic - NG) numbers by general
medical practitioners and out of hours services.

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15215.asp

It clearly states that ".. the message from the Department of Health
has made it very clear to NHS organisations that patients should not
be expected to pay more than the equivalent of a local call to
contact their GPs. "

The cost of an 0844/5 call can be up to 5.9p (inc VAT) per minute,
whist the cost of a 01235 call is 0p at all times on my current
BT plan. Even on the cheapest BT plan your patients would only be
paying 4.8p per minute during the day, 1.8p evenings and free at
weekends for a local call. I can see absolutely no advantage to your
patients in changing to these numbers. There does not appear to be
any services offered for 0844/5 that cannot be applied to 01235.

I therefore respectfully request that you provide alternative
geographic numbers for all your services. If it is not within your
power to do this, please forward this to the appropriate authority,
pointing out that they are not in compliance with government
directives."

His response was:

"Thank you for sending me this information and I think the relevant wording is "Local Call" it does not make reference to personal plans with telephone providers. [NEG weasel words]
Please see below the information that we were provided with and is still I believe relevant:

0844numbers are like the 0845 number for NHS direct they are lo call rate numbers and used for the NHS.  Today when a patient calls the surgery the call costs 5p per min with BT.  The 0844 rate is the same at 5p per min."

Having done a bit more research on the NEG web site, I then pointed out:

"You failed to mention the following piece of information from Network
Europe Group's web site.

"With your own 084 number, you keep about 2p from every call."

So now you are making a profit from all the patients who phone the
practice.

Under the old system I'd call and pay nothing however long it took to
process my call, now it costs me 5.9p (set up charge) plus 5.9p per
minute and you get a kick back. How is this an improvement?"

He didn't like this:

"We receive no income from phone calls at all, to do so would be in total
contravention of our contract. I understand from Dr XXX that this
type of "propaganda" is appearing in the national papers [no it's on NEG own web site!] and whilst it
is true that the scheme offers a discount this is in fact not received
by the surgery but is used to improve patient services within the
surgery and is managed by NEG.  We continue to pay the full cost of our
telephone rental and calls.

We made the change as it was necessary to move to a digital system from
the old analogue system that was offered by BT to improve our telephone
response time that had been highlighted as a problem in our patient
survey.  We have had this system in place now for some 18 months and
from our last survey it would appear that the service has improved and
therefore from this point of view the system has proven to be
beneficial.

I am sorry that this has incurred additional costs to you when you phone
the surgery but I hope the number of calls you need to make to the
surgery will be low.

Looking at it from the surgery point of view, we are required to phone
back numerous patients on mobile phones which has indeed rocketed our
telephone costs, I regret that modern technology is at a cost. [so why not go back to the older system?]

I hope I have answered your questions satisfactorily."

Well... no.

Recently in the surgery waiting room several of the patients were complaining of long waits on hold which ran up their bills.

So under the old system you rang up, got the engaged signal (no charge for this), hung up and tried again a few minutes later.
If you like you could always spend a few pence and use the automatic ringback option.

Now you phone up, get charged from the word go and are left waiting and paying for up to 15 minutes - this is better for the patients??

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #617 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 4:41am

pjaj wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:44pm:
Pretty much the same responses at a Surgery in Abingdon. When I contacted the practice manager I made the following points: …

Well done, you put the relevant points clearly.

There are a couple of points to add.

The cost of calling call type “g6” 0844 numbers is greater than that of calling geographic numbers on all tariffs for all types of telephone service.

The surgery may have been misled by NEG into thinking that there is no call set-up fee for calls to 0844 numbers. This is only true for BT Business customers.

The terms of clause 483 of the GMS contract, which the practice holds and is bound by, is breached on receipt of money from patients “for the benefit of another”. The revenue share does not go to the practice, but to NEG, to pay for the equipment and systems that it supplies for little or no charge to the practice - it is this which is being paid for by patients. The suggestion that the practice gets to “keep” 2p is probably also misleading. The contract is nonetheless being breached.

It is true that practices incur costs in calling back to patients, especially on mobiles. If they are prepared to admit that they are seeking to recover these costs by using revenue sharing numbers for incoming calls, then at least the argument could then take place on an honest basis. However the practice wishes to provide services and balance its budget under the terms of its contract, a contractor is not permitted to charge fees for access to NHS services. The fact that NHS bodies do the same is a separate issue; it does not provide a justification.

A response to the conclusions of an “evidence gathering” exercise by the Department of Health is awaited. This must have discovered that the stated assumption that calls to 0844 numbers were at a “guaranteed low rate” remains as false today as when it was published in 2005. This absurd statement, which indicates no understanding of the truth or even the nature of telecomms regulation, is the piece of propaganda at the heart of this problem.

(added - 26/7 12:15)

We may chose to judge whether practices are deliberately lying, or are simply the victims of errors by the Department of Health and misleading propaganda from NEG. The "sort of people" who seek to defend a decision that they believed was in the best interests of their patients are not a group that I would wish to castigate for that reason alone. This is perfectly normal. It is the errors in their arguments that must be addressed, not an assumed immorality in their beliefs and behaviour.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2008 at 12:15pm by SilentCallsVictim »  
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #618 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:37am

pjaj wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:44pm:
His response was:

"Thank you for sending me this information and I think the relevant wording is "Local Call" it does not make reference to personal plans with telephone providers. [NEG weasel words]
Please see below the information that we were provided with and is still I believe relevant:

0844numbers are like the 0845 number for NHS direct they are lo call rate numbers and used for the NHS.  Today when a patient calls the surgery the call costs 5p per min with BT.  The 0844 rate is the same at 5p per min."

Well done pjaj.

It's when I see the sort of nonsense which I have highlighted that I feel that these sorts of people should live by the rules they impose on others. No pun intended; they should be subject to a taste of their own medicine.

A free market in telecommunications services means that one's "local rate", that is the price of a "local call", is different from provider to provider and tariff to tariff.

This person believes that this should not apply and that the surgery should define a "local call" for all at 5 pence per minute. Local calls have never been as high as 5 pence per minute from a landline, so clearly he thinks it's only right that the cost should rise rather than fall.

With this in mind, perhaps the surgery should be forced to accept electricity from a provider at above market price in return for "free" replacement lightbulbs. The only thing being that the amount above which it would normally expect to pay is way above that of the bulbs.

This tariff would then be titled "Lo-Lectric" which is of course entirely acceptable because we know that there is nothing wrong in calling something by a name that makes it sound far better than it really is.
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2008 at 8:42am by Dave »  

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #619 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 4:51pm

Source: Jenny Randerson AM

http://jennyranderson.com/news/000356/randerson_calls_for_ban_on_revenue_raising...

Randerson calls for ban on revenue raising numbers within the NHS

4.42.07pm BST (GMT +0100) Mon 28th Jul 2008

<<
Welsh Lib Dem Spokesperson for Health Jenny Randerson AM has today called on the Health Minister Edwina Hart to move to formally ban the use of revenue raising phone numbers within the Welsh NHS. Such numbers, used by some GP surgeries and other services, often cost patients without access to a landline significant amounts of money.

Mrs Randerson has written to the Minister asking her to formally bring forward a ban.

Jenny Randerson said: "It is time that this practice stopped. While some of these numbers can raise extra cash for the NHS, it is very unfair on some of the poorest patients out there.

"All the evidence shows that poorer people are less likely to have access to a landline and rely instead on the use of a mobile phone. This system is penalising them. There are also a range of other phone line providers, all of whom charge different amounts for phoning these numbers.

"I hope that the Minister brings forward a ban. After all, she has been willing to ban things that make no difference to the poor whatsoever, like prescription charges for millionaires, so hopefully she will end this injustice.

Notes:

Recent reports have shown that a significant number of GP surgeries are using 0844 or 0845 numbers.
>>

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #620 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:56am

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/NHS-helpline-numbers-could-change.4312213...

NHS helpline numbers could change

<<
TELEPHONE numbers for finding an NHS dentist or accessing patient advice may be changed to cheaper rates, East Sussex Downs and Weald Primary Care Trust has said.

The numbers for the trust's dentistry helpline and its Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) are both non-geographic 0844 numbers.

While charged at a local rate of 5p a minute on a BT landline, calls to these numbers are excluded from popular BT packages providing free evening and weekend calls.

The 0844 numbers are charged at a fixed rate of 35p a minute from Orange and Vodafone pay as you go mobile phones, where a local 01323 code would cost callers 10p to 30p a minute with Vodafone or 20p with Orange.

Yet patients from neighbouring West Sussex PCT are given a cheaper local number to call for each service.

East Sussex PCT is considering changing some of its numbers, including the dentist helpline, to start with 03, which regulator Ofcom says cost the same or less as local numbers from a mobile, landline or payphone and are included in discount packages.

In the meantime, the trust says patients can contact them by letter or email or ask the PALS team to call them back while requesting advice.
The PALS team, based at Lewes, covers the whole of East Sussex.

A trust spokesman said, "We felt it was much better to give people one telephone number for PALS, with calls charged at a normal fixed local rate, to make the service as easy to access as possible.

"In addition, a single phone number enables the PALS team to better manage the calls they handle so they can provide a better overall service.

"We appreciate that some, including those calling from mobiles or those with certain telephone call plans, will be charged more than the fixed local rate. However, we feel the benefits of the new single telephone number far outweigh any drawbacks."

The trust said it made no profit from the 0844 numbers and said patients would also be able to use NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or its helpline on 01273 403546 to search for a dentist.
>>
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008 at 1:05am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #621 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 5:10pm

The Healthcare Commission has today published the results of a survey into patient attitudes to local health services.

Detailed results are published, from which league tables by PCT can be assembled for each question.

Of particular interest and relvance is the question - “Have you had a problem getting through to your GP practice/ health centre on the phone?”.

A comparison, by PCT, between the ranked responses to this question and a ranked table of the proportion of GPs with revenue sharing 0844 telephone numbers shows no correlation whatsoever.

These tables may be accessed here.

This suggests that PCTs which permit a breach of the GMS contract by allowing GPs to use money paid by patients as a means of funding advanced surgery telephone systems do nothing to improve their position in the league table of satisfaction ratings.

I would never seek to take issue with the idea that systems like “Surgery Line” can improve patient access. It may well be that the benefits achieved are offset by the fact the patients resent having to pay for NHS services, which should be provided “free at the point of need” and not funded by use of revenue sharing telephone numbers.

The time for NEG to look at how Surgery Line can be funded properly is long overdue.

PCTs, which are increasingly being driven by statistics such as these, need to recognise that getting patients to pay for service improvements is not only wholly improper but is shown here to be ineffective.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #622 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:46am

Source: Telegraph & Argus

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/3592668.Surgery_is_now_ready_to_open/

Surgery is now ready to open

6:23pm Wednesday 13th August 2008
By Claire Lomax »

<<
A purpose-built GP surgery in the heart of a multi-million pounddevelopment is almost ready to open.

The branch surgery of Saltaire Medical Practice is a key part of the £4.5 million Cottingley Cornerstone Centre in Littlelands and will open on Tuesday, August 26, replacing the surgery in Hope Hill.

The new two-storey building has been funded by the Cottingley Cornerstone Centre and developed by Bramley Homes.

Benefits for the surgery’s 2,000 patients include a larger waiting area, a separate reception and an on-site car park. Other benefits include better facilities for the storage and disposal of clinical waste.

Catherine Darlington, business manager of Saltaire Medical Practice and the branch surgery at Cottingley, said: “Our opening times and services will remain the same in the short-term. However, we look forward to developing our services in the new premises over the next months for the benefit of our patients.

“We will be delighted to welcome patients to look round our wonderful brand new premises which will provide a much better environment for everyone. During the move we have tried to ensure there has been the minimum disruption to patients.”

John Chuter, chairman of Bradford and Airedale Teaching Primary Care Trust, pictured above, said: “This new surgery is a wonderful example of partnership working resulting in a modern surgery.”

The surgery will be closed on the afternoon of Thursday, August 21, and all day Friday, August 22, to allow staff to move in. Any patient needing an appointment during this time will be redirected to the Saltaire surgery.

Patients and members of the community are invited to an open afternoon on Thursday, September 4, from noon onwards so staff can show them the new facilities. The new number for the surgery will be 0844 477 3674.
>>

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #623 - Aug 14th, 2008 at 2:36pm

Dave wrote on Aug 14th, 2008 at 11:46am:
Surgery is now ready to open

The new number for the surgery will be 0844 477 3674.
>>

The local number for this branch surgery is presently 01274 564814.

Whilst the Department of Health is conducting a review into this matter, most PCTs are refusing to allow changes such as this to occur. The outcome of the review must be expected to be action to enforce the recently repeated Government policy that "patients should not be expected to pay more than the cost of a local call".

When this change occurs, patients of the re-located Cottingley surgery will have to start paying more than the cost of a local call.

What is to be done to prevent government policy being breached in this way?

The 0844 number in question is presently being used by the main surgery of the practice in Saltaire. That fact has no bearing on the significance of this blatant further abuse of the principles of the NHS.

Although NEG has reported that it expects the DH to allow what one government minister has described as this "rip off" to continue, it seems that there have been no other new cases since the review got underway in March. The doubt about what will happen now needs to be resolved, especially if this is perhaps the first of a number of cases of resumed "business as usual" for NEG.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #624 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:39pm

It seems that the worm is finally beginning to turn on doctors misuse of 0844 numbers down in West Sussex and that local Labour MP Laura Moffatt is a new recruit to the ranks of MPs known to be vigorous opponents of the doctors surgery 0844 ripoff.  Heaven only knows though when my own MP, Sir Paul Beresford, is ever going to wake up to the issue.  To be fair I am not aware of any doctors surgeries in Mole Valley using an 0844 number but surely by now there must be one somewhere.

It seems that West Sussex PCT are also taking a much more robust and pro patient view on this issue than in many other areas. Smiley

See www.wscountytimes.co.uk/496/Crawley-doctors-told-to-axe.4427025.jp

Quote:
Crawley doctors told to axe pricey phone lines

PATIENTS at Crawley GP surgeries are set to save their pennies if premium rate phone lines are scrapped.
Despite official guidance many Crawley surgeries still use a pricey 0844 number, but Crawley MP Laura Moffatt reckons that could soon change.

She said: "This is an issue I feel very strongly about, The Department of Health issued clear guidance as far back as 2005 urging GPs not to use these expensive numbers.

"Sadly many practises ignored this and have not appreciated how expensive it can be for some of their patients.

"People who have to use a mobile phone or a pay phone can pay as much as 40p per minute to contact their GP and the many people who have 'all in' contracts (inclusive of local calls) effectively have to pay charges they would not otherwise incur."

Following a stream of correspondence West Sussex PCT sent round a letter to all Crawley practises asking them to look into changing their numbers.

Acting Trust Director Nicky Cambrook said: "Ofcom created a new '03' number which can be included in all inclusive tariffs and is charged at the same rate as other geographical numbers.

"The number was introduced in 2007 with clear encouragement for practises to use this number in preference to the non-geographical 0844 number.

"I must emphasise the need to ensure that patients are not put in the position of having to pay excessive telephone charges to contact their GP surgery."
« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008 at 10:44pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #625 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:09pm

Some updates:

1. The involvement of Laura Moffatt MP is covered in detail on her website. It began on 19 November 2007.

2. The change of number from 01274 564814 to 0844 477 3674 for the 2,000 patients of the Cottingley surgery referred to in earlier postings has now gone ahead.

3. The recent announcement that the NHS is predicting a surplus of £1.75 billion for 2008/9 may add another dimension to the debate on GPs use of 0844 numbers.

It is claimed by NEG that Surgery Line is too expensive to be cost-justified if it were funded from the money currently available to GPs from PCTs. This is why it has to be funded by patients, as NEG's customers allegedly decline the option to adopt it based on a 03xx or geographic number.

Whilst specific grants are available for practices to deploy advanced IT systems to improve their services to NHS patients, there are no such options in respect of advanced telecomms systems. If the Department of Health, PCTs and the BMA share NEGs belief that Surgery Line provides benefits for patients (an issue on which I retain a neutral position), then these must be funded properly according to available resources. Patients' own money cannot be seen as a valid source of funding for a NHS "free at the point of need". If central funding is available, then this should be used if the benefits are worthwhile.

For a publicly-funded service, a £1.75 billion surplus is no less a failure of financial management than a £1.75 billion defecit. As services have previously been cut in order to address defecits, they must be extended to address a surplus.

4. The Department of Health maintains that its "evidence gathering" exercise, which was extended past an initial completion date of "the end of March", is still continuing.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #626 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:39pm

Source: E-Health Insider Primary Care

http://www.ehiprimarycare.com/news/4131/dh_backs_away_from_084_telephone_ban

DH backs away from 084 telephone ban

09 Sep 2008

The Department of Health has no immediate plans to ban use of 084 numbers in the NHS, health minister Ben Bradshaw has indicated.

In a letter to Rob Marris MP, the health minister gave no indication that the use of such numbers by GP practices and organisations such as NHS Direct would be prohibited.

Instead he told the MP, who has been campaigning against the use of 084 numbers by the health service, that the DH was currently analysing the information from a data collection exercise on the use of 084 numbers by the NHS.

He added: “In time we will publish guidance about how primary care trusts can ensure that patients are able to access their GPs or other NHS organisations via the best possible service, without placing additional costs on them.”

[…]
>>

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #627 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 3:09pm

Dave wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:39pm:
He added: “In time we will publish guidance about how primary care trusts can ensure that patients are able to access their GPs or other NHS organisations via the best possible service, without placing

Delay, delay and delay again while offering some vague hope of jam tomorrow.  This has been the tactics of the 084/7 abusers every since they started up their tawdry and sordid little industry.

I can't say I am in the least bit surprised given how many important New Labour friends directly pioneered this squalid little way of ripping off the poorest UK citizen consumers.

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

Reply #628 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 10:08pm

Dave wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:39pm:

The article includes a valuable comment from Rob Marris:
Quote:
I think 084 numbers will go across government eventually but it is going to take quite a long time.

Whilst campaigners may rightly comment that it has already taken too long and that action is required now, we must at the same time show the necessary degree of patience in assessing what we may have achieved. We must keep plugging away, attempting to exploit every opportunity to make progress. We cannot know when we may be successful.

Those who are interested in seeing the letter from Ben Bradshaw, and perhaps reading further comments, can find them here.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Reply #629 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:09pm

SilentCallsVictim wrote on May 30th, 2008 at 8:38pm:
It is Opal Telecom, a division of Carphone Warehouse, that mostly provides the 0844 numbers used by GPs. I see no good reason why 03xx numbers (perhaps the 0344 equivalents) could not be used.

A quick search of the nhs.uk website, and then a comparison with available 0344 numbers, reveals that Opal recently (07/2008) registered many 0344 ranges that are aligned with the ranges they already have for 0844. Perhaps (although I'm not holding my breath!) NEG is having a change of heart...

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 50
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge