Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
SayNoTo0870.com E-Petition (Read 191,115 times)
wacs

Re: SayNoTo0870.com E-Petition
Reply #30 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 7:07pm

gdh82 wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 6:55pm:
Great! Thanks Daniel  Smiley An E-petition link is now on the home page!

But be even greater if this could be duplicated on the SEARCH TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE NUMBER PAGE ?  Wink

Seconded.  Smiley    I don't visit the home page ... I have the "search facility" bookmarked (and until recently didn't use the messageboards).

~ Edited by Dave: Link on quote box updated
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:27pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #31 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 9:03pm

Even better why not have it on the search screen AND the results screen (if you found this site useful why not take a moment to sign the e-petition?)

There's more of us that them, stick together and challenge 0870/0845 etc etc

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #32 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 9:43pm

Thanks Daniel. It worked. 30 extra signature in a matter of hours and moved up 50 places on the list to 244.

Agree with other suggestions to maximsie exposure. Got to get up to 1500 signatures to get on front page of petitions.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #33 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:23pm

I am concerned that this petition does not go far enough as it does not demand that Ofcom take immediate action to stop the misdescription of 0845 and 0870 numbers as local and national rate and to make such a claim punishable with a fine.  It also does not draw attention to the grotesque failure of Ofcom to fulfil its principal duty to protect the UK citizen consumer under Part 3(i) of the Communications Act 2003 and under the terms of the EU Misleading Advertising Directive.

Also it makes the call cost comparison against the Finarea 5p per call instead of most consumers paying as little as £1 per month for unlimited 01/02 calls at no further charge.

I think the petition should be calling much more for Ofcom to force compulsory call price announcements for such calls, to ban the terms lo-call and National Rate and to demand that call queuing over 1 minute is banned on all 084/7 numbers.  If calls extend beyond that time the call centre must provide an automated facility to call back the person who called.

Also disappointment at Ofcom's failure to make 0845 calls once called Lo-Call into normal calls priced at the 01/02 rate after 31st January 2008 needs to be expressed.

I may consider starting my own petition and deploying a very effective marketing technique to get a very large number of signatures.

<div style=

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #34 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:01pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:23pm:
I may consider starting my own petition and deploying a very effective marketing technique to get a very large number of signatures.

That sounds like a great idea.  Wink 

What you're looking at is a very different - and no less valid - approach(es) to address the 0845/0870 issue.  A separate petition / campaign can only add to the growing voices of dissent and bring the 0870 issue to wider attention.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:28pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #35 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:09pm

wacs wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 11:01pm:
What you're looking at is a very different - and no less valid - approach(es) to address the 0845/0870 issue.  A separate petition / campaign can only add to the growing voices of dissent here and bring the 0870 issue to wider attention.  Smiley

At the heart of the present 084/7 scam is the disgraceful and deceitful telecoms regulator Ofcom which has been given the powers of the Office of Fair Trading and the Comptetition Commission over broadcasting issues but failed to use them sensibly or responsibly.  This is because the regulator has been hijacked by various telco cronies like Stephen Carter (ex NTL and former CEO) who until recently worked there who have simply ignored the regulator's public interest duties on telecoms matters.  The most glaring and shameful examples of this are in terms of Patientline at 50p per minute to call patients in NHS hospitals and the NEG 0845 doctors surgery scheme scam.

It is the regulator who is responsible for the outrage of these numbers still being wrongly known as local/national rate and for the outage of them not being forced on to an 09 premium rate code where they belong so they should carry the can.

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:28pm by Dave »  

<div style=

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #36 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 12:42pm

I too would support another petition! Smiley

Whilst the current e-petition may not be that wide in scope, there is a danger of course of trying to include too many points in a petition and so put off people from signing it at all!

PS THANKS again to Daniel for adding an e-petition link on theSEARCH TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE NUMBER PAGE  Smiley Smiley

PPS 277 sigs and counting...
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2007 at 12:52pm by gdh82 »  

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #37 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:02pm

gdh82 wrote on Jan 30th, 2007 at 12:42pm:
PS THANKS again to Daniel for adding an e-petition link on theSEARCH TO FIND AN ALTERNATIVE NUMBER PAGE  Smiley Smiley

Absolutely.  Thanks Daniel!  Smiley

And for the writing being slightly larger, it leaps out at you, given the placement.  It seems to be getting a great response, at times looked like one person was signing up a minute, which is pretty amazing   Shocked

All that's needed now is the generic email to pull some more people in. (I know quite a few that probably use the site on and off); there's no reason why an email shouldn't bring more site visitors, and generally generate more interest and awareness (why not?)  Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:29pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #38 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:20pm

But I still think it should be Daniel's petition so he can control it and the wording in it.

On that basis I will not be signing the petition as it not this website's petition.

<div style=

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #39 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:33pm

Keith wrote on Jan 29th, 2007 at 9:43pm:
Thanks Daniel. It worked. 30 extra signature in a matter of hours and moved up 50 places on the list to 244.

Agree with other suggestions to maximise exposure. Got to get up to 1500 signatures to get on front page of petitions.

And here's the link (as viewed by size)... http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #40 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:44pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:20pm:
On that basis I will not be signing the petition as it not this website's petition.

In the absence of an alternative, wouldn't it be wise to go with what we've got ?  That's my approach - I can always sign up to a second peitition later !   Wink Smiley  We're all fighting the same battle!  Angry

PS
sigs and counting... Is there an easy way to find this petition's relative position compared to others ?

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:30pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

wacs

Reply #41 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:48pm

gdh82 wrote on Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:44pm:
PS
sigs and counting... Is there an easy way to find this petition's relative position compared to others ?

Yes, it's here  http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/list/open?sort=signers ;  Smiley   This petition is currently on the 3rd page. 

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:31pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

gdh82

Reply #42 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:50pm

Doh!  Think that post above was being typed as I was typing (that's my excuse!) Wink

Thanks mate! Smiley

IP Logged

Keith

Surrey
Reply #43 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:09pm

Sad person that I am I have been monitoring the progress during the day (Boy am I bored with work!)

It has been averaging a very, very steady 30 signature an hour since 11 pm this morning. At 6pm it was on 429 and 129th in the list. Going up the list now is going to be much harder as the petitions above have many more signatures so the gaps get bigger between petitions.

I assume the numbers signing will drop away as we become reliant on the less regular visitors to this site to sign up.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #44 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 9:56pm

Keith wrote on Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:09pm:
It has been averaging a very, very steady 30 signature an hour since 11 pm this morning. At 6pm it was on 429 and 129th in the list.

It's now 506 and has been rising over the last hour or so when I've been checking it. Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 5:32pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge