Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
PO HomePhone Levy £4.20 Operator Connection Fee (Read 22,276 times)
dorf
Supreme Member

I hate Qs on Premium NGNs

UK
Re: PO HomePhone Levy £4.20 Operator Connection Fe
Reply #15 - Feb 8th, 2007 at 11:25pm

NGM'sG,

I agree entirely. I originally carried on to include something similar in my post but then felt perhaps it was going off topic, so I deleted it.  If only Ofcom had done as you say things would have been quite different by now; but of course they did not, as we know because their buddies BT did not of course want their current continuing near monopoly split-up!

Dave, thanks for your question. I have had some modules of legal training and have some legal knowledge, in business law, but am not a lawyer.

Ofcom are completely ineffectual

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #16 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:09pm

NGM,

You could remind the PO that under Condition 10 of the General conditions of entitlement, they are required to publish a price list:-

Quote:
10. TRANSPARENCY AND PUBLICATION OF INFORMATION

10.1  The Communications Provider shall ensure that clear and up to date information on its applicable prices and tariffs (which for the avoidance of doubt shall not include bespoke or individual prices and tariffs), and on its standard terms and conditions, in respect of access to and use of Publicly Available Telephone Services by End-Users is published, in accordance with paragraphs 10.2 and 10.3.

10.2  The information published shall include at least the following:
  • (a) the Communications Provider’s name and Major Office address;
  • (b) a description of the Publicly Available Telephone Services offered;
  • (c) where the Communications Provider renders any subscription charge or periodic rental charge, details of which Publicly Available Telephone Services are included within such charge;
  • (d) the Communications Provider’s standard tariffs, including details of standard discounts and special and targeted tariff schemes, with regard to:
    • (i) access;
    • (ii) all types of usage charges; and
    • (iii) any maintenance services;
  • (e) any compensation and/or refund policy, including specific details of any compensation and/or refund schemes offered;
  • (f) any types of maintenance service offered;
  • (g) the standard contract conditions offered, including any relevant minimum contractual period; and
  • (h) any available dispute resolution mechanisms, including those developed by the Communications Provider.
10.3  Publication of the information shall be effected by:
  • (a) sending a copy of such information or any appropriate parts of it to any End-User who may reasonably request such a copy; and
  • (b) placing a copy of such information on any relevant website operated or controlled by the Communications Provider, or, where no such website exists, placing a copy of such information in every Major Office of the Communications Provider such that it is readily available for inspection free of
    charge by members of the general public during normal office hours.
10.4  For the purposes of this Condition:
  • (a) “Communications Provider” means a person who provides End-Users with access to and use of Publicly Available Telephone Services, except Public Pay Telephones;
  • (b) “Major Office” means a Communications Provider’s registered office and such other of its offices as the Director may from time to time direct.

Some more info here.

Of course this doesn't mean that they do/will because some OCPs don't like to publish their list of 08x and 09x charges so what hope have we got of them mentioning charges like an Operator Connection fee?
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:10pm by bbb_uk »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:32pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:09pm:
Of course this doesn't mean that they do/will because some OCPs don't like to publish their list of 08x and 09x charges so what hope have we got of them mentioning charges like an Operator Connection fee?

They seem to publish almost all of their other rates in the PDF documents in the pricing section of their website, including all their 084/7 and 09 rates.

It just seems to be the £4.20 operator connection fee that they have completely overlooked.

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:46pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 6:32pm:
It just seems to be the £4.20 operator connection fee that they have completely overlooked.
Most likely because they didn't (and dont) get that many of their customers trying to route their calls back via BT.

TBH, I can't understand why you're still with them NGM?

Their linerental is £9.95 whereas BT's is £10.75 plus free CLI.  But most of all, known for a fact that one morning you are not going to wake up to find that PO HomePhone have all of the sudden stopped/blocked the use of indirect access providers such as 18185 and I can see this happening in the future and most likely without warning.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:12pm

bbb_uk wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 2:46pm:
Most likely because they didn't (and dont) get that many of their customers trying to route their calls back via BT.

There is no BT routing involved in this.  This was the operator service I got just by dialling 100 with no 1280 prefix involved.  If I dial 150 I get an automated message telling me to call my phone company's customer service number, although if I dial 1280150 I still get through to BT customer services as obviously I would do on 0800 100150 on any phone in the country.

So this is an official Post Office Operator service offered under contract to BT.  If I ring Post Office customer services and query it they find the charge on their Post Office Tariff screen somewhere and Post Office charge £4.20 for this service compared to an alleged official charge of £4.00 by BT (never ever charged it in my time with them despite using the Operator once every 2 or 3 months for problem numbers) which in practice they never charge if there is a fault on the line you are calling.

But because it is so high but not a premium rate 09 service it has just been left off all their tariff sheets or fallen between them

Quote:
TBH, I can't understand why you're still with them NGM?

I was going to move back to BT but the BT person I spoke to when I was going to do this was thoroughly offhand rude and disinterested in me as a customer and then told me there was a minimum 90 day contract period with BT there were charges for breaching if I moved anywhere else in the period. That was the last straw.

Post Office try to do a pretty good job with 0800 for customer services and well presented bills.  It isn't their fault if BT charges such a high amount for WLR line rental and/or the Post Office has less deep dirty fighting fund pockets than BT clearly have that it can't afford to subsidise the cost of Caller Display as BT does (and anyway BT Retail just pays BT Wholesale which then adds to BT PLC's overall profits).   I hate BT as a large, inefficient and monpolistic company. Why should I go back to them as long as the Post Office let me use 18185.  Also the high Operator charge isn't the Post Office's fault.  BT is blatantly acting anticompetitively by imposing this discretionary charge rarely or never on BT's customers if they ask to be connected but on a blanket across the board basis on its rivals.

Quote:
But most of all, known for a fact that one morning you are not going to wake up to find that PO HomePhone have all of the sudden stopped/blocked the use of indirect access providers such as 18185 and I can see this happening in the future and most likely without warning.

At the moment the Post Office has no connection fee and no per minute rounding up of call charges so they are useful for calling numbers that persistently answer on to a blank line or have call minder on them.  So I no doubt save the 75p because of that, especially on 0845 calls that have problems with the IVR system not working correctly.

Of the WLR providers I honestly think the Post Office is providing the best quality service so they deserve to be supported in principle.  Any problems I have with WLR are of the benighted Ofcom's making and not of the Post Office's making.  Also by using the WLR service and complaining at high level about the glaring anomalies I put pressure on Ofcom to change the WLR system.

Perhaps now you understand my mission here apart from the Post Office having given me £65 Cashback for which they deserve some loyalty, especially while they refuse to join the herd in adopting connection fees or per minute call charge rounding up.

If they ever bar 18185 then I will leave them to go back to BT the very next day.

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 6:57pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:12pm:
I was going to move back to BT but the BT person I spoke to when I was going to do this was thoroughly offhand rude and disinterested in me as a customer and then told me there was a minimum 90 day contract period with BT there were charges for breaching if I moved anywhere else in the period. That was the last straw.

Rudeness is unaceptable, I agree. But complaining because BT has a 3 month minimum term.....is there many companies that dont?

Quote:
Of the WLR providers I honestly think the Post Office is providing the best quality service so they deserve to be supported in principle.  Any problems I have with WLR are of the benighted Ofcom's making and not of the Post Office's making.  Also by using the WLR service and complaining at high level about the glaring anomalies I put pressure on Ofcom to change the WLR system.

Yeah, the only complaint I ever get about them is the fact that they target old people in the post office and tell them that they are part of BT.

Quote:
Perhaps now you understand my mission here.

Mission? Who are you really? Buffy the Vampire Slayer?  Grin
Nah, Im just playin, mission just seemed a funny choice of words.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 7:23pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 6:57pm:
Mission? Who are you really? Buffy the Vampire Slayer?  Grin
Nah, Im just playin, mission just seemed a funny choice of words.

It was you who made an issue out of the word Mission not me.  But come to think of it doesn't the word Impossible usually go with Mission?  Probably particularly apt in this case.

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 9:15pm

Like I say, just playin bud.

But if they ever film saynoto0870.com the movie then I will insist you are played by Tom Cruise.

IP Logged

Cruz

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:51pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 9:15pm:
But if they ever film saynoto0870.com the movie then I will insist you are played by Tom Cruise.

Hey, that part's already taken!

While I'm here, am I the only person who thinks the words spite to face nose off your cutting, rearranged into a well-known phrase or saying, might be appropriate here?

I prefer the 3 P's rule:

Taking a stand on principle may sometimes appear the right thing to do but pragmatism is normally more practical.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:56pm by Cruz »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:58pm

Cruz wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 10:51pm:
Taking a stand on principle may sometimes appear the right thing to do but pragmatism is normally more practical.

Not an approach I favour myself.

Another description for pragmatism is the line of least resistance or even being weak willed.  Now that's certainly is how Ofcom has always carried on but isn't that why we are so unhappy with them?

<div style=

IP Logged

bbb_uk
Global Moderator

Reply #25 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:51pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 11th, 2007 at 3:12pm:
There is no BT routing involved in this.  This was the operator service I got just by dialling 100 with no 1280 prefix involved.  If I dial 150 I get an automated message telling me to call my phone company's customer service number, although if I dial 1280150 I still get through to BT customer services as obviously I would do on 0800 100150 on any phone in the country.
My mistake.

Quote:
I was going to move back to BT but the BT person I spoke to when I was going to do this was thoroughly offhand rude and disinterested in me as a customer and then told me there was a minimum 90 day contract period with BT there were charges for breaching if I moved anywhere else in the period.
Some staff can be rude in companies (BT is no exception).  There is a 3month minimum term for returning to BT but this is ONLY for linerental.  You can CPS your calls to Primus (or anyone else) as soon as you become a BT customer from day one.

When we returned to BT, we were told this and that a fee would be payable for trying move linerental but that it did only apply to linerental.  I don't believe they can put a minimum term on calls for returning to them.  As soon as we were on BT, I started the transfer process to Primus and used Call18185, etc in the interim until Primus CPS was activated.

Quote:
If they ever bar 18185 then I will leave them to go back to BT the very next day.
It's my understanding that it can take upto 2 weeks to transfer calls/linerental back to BT so for at least two weeks you would have to pay normal PO rates.

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #26 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 6:26pm

The CPS thing is correct, however it takes 10 working days to begin a CPS service. And yes, its 10 working days to return from another WLR company.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, CJT-80, bbb_uk, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge