<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
BT charges (Read 51,472 times)
Supersearcher

BT charges
Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:03pm

I have just discovered that BT intend to start charging customers £4.50 excess on telephone bills that are not settled by direct debit even if payment in full by cheque is made upon immediate receipt of the telephone bill.    This is little short of money grabbing by BT who are already charging well above other providers for basic services.   Watch your telephone bills from May 2007!! Angry

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Re: BT charges
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Supersearcher wrote on Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:03pm:
I have just discovered that BT intend to start charging customers £4.50 excess on telephone bills that are not settled by direct debit even if payment in full by cheque is made upon immediate receipt of the telephone bill.    This is little short of money grabbing by BT who are already charging well above other providers for basic services.   Watch your telephone bills from May 2007!! Angry

I agree that it is unfair to charge so much for those more who pay promptly. But BT is increasing its charge and not introducing it from scratch. It costs £4.50 per quarter or £1.50 per month to pay by non-DD, an increase of £1.50 per quarter or 50p per month.

Also, bear in mind that these days prices are generally quoted per month even though bills are still sent quarterly.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:16pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

moneysavin

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:45am

Supersearcher wrote on Feb 24th, 2007 at 9:03pm:
who are already charging well above other providers for basic services.  

What basic Telephone  service,s are you referring to ?

At least BT  allow payment by non dd methods  unlike Talk Talk and other suppliers.

Their charges for payment by non dd, look  reasonable compared to Virgin Media (Ntl/Telewest ) wopping £5 a month. Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:53am by moneysavin »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 6:11pm

Obviously the argument will go that those who insist on paying by cash on a service where they can run up large call bills they don't have to pay for in advance are proven to be bad credit risks as a class and so imposing this extra charge is the only way to cover that cost of payment defaults directly.  The only alternative would be to further put up the line rental charge to everyone and for the rest of us to cross subsidise the bad payers.  And by first offering the discount for paying by DD and now reversing that into a larger extra charge for paying by cash (which simply grabs the attention more of those paying by cash as to the extra cost and provides a bigger incentive to change to DD) they make it a virtually self fulfilling prophecy that  the only people paying by cash will not have a bank account and so tend in the main to be mainly very bad credit risks indeed.  Anyone who simply hates DDs is I think now living in the past as they are one of the safest and best protected ways to pay.

However this whole issue does raise the question of the underlying fairness of BT's Phone Line Rental charges, which in my view are monstrously high when compared to other utilities in the home.  Also since the higher charges come from the risk of people defaulting on paying the bill then why can't BT come up with a prouct where people credit their account in advance with cash for call costs and then spend this down to zero at which point they can't make any more calls.  In that way it should be possible to offer cash customers a service at the same price as non cash customers.

Although cheque users are often old and crusty unfortunately many of them are also cheque book thieves.  So again this is why cheque as well as cash is being charged an extra fee to reflect the higher risk.

Like it or not we are moving to a cashless society for all but all very small transactions made in person at retailers.

<div style=

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:21pm

Quote:
... this whole issue does raise the question of the underlying fairness of BT's Phone Line Rental charges...

Fairness?  We live in a market economy, since when does fairness come into the equation?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:43pm

lompos wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:21pm:
Fairness?  We live in a market economy, since when does fairness come into the equation?

I don't think BT's phone line rental charge is a market price.  It is a price that by clever and false accounting and over estimating the value and servicing costs of its copper wire network that it has conned Ofcom (with its many ex BT employees) into accepting and that is now the price all other companies are following, largely due to the excessive charge levied for BT's WLR service.

Look at standing charges for gas, electricity and water and the fact that they are beween £0 and £3.50 per month and you will start to realise there is something wrong with BT needing £11 per month.

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:46am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:43pm:
lompos wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:21pm:
Fairness?  We live in a market economy, since when does fairness come into the equation?

Look at standing charges for gas, electricity and water and the fact that they are beween £0 and £3.50 per month and you will start to realise there is something wrong with BT needing £11 per month.

If you odnt use your gas pipes then fine, but when your line is switched on but you odnt dial, what about the other information it recieves. You know, incoming calls.
Should you have that facility for nothing?

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:35am

darkstar wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:46am:
If you odnt use your gas pipes then fine, but when your line is switched on but you odnt dial, what about the other information it recieves. You know, incoming calls.

Should you have that facility for nothing?

Yes I should have that facility for very little because BT earns revenue for terminating and very often also for originating every one of those calls.  They earn this revenue from what the caller pays as part of their call charge.

Anyhow I don't argue I should get line rental for nothing but merely for a fair charge reflecting the real cost of maintaining the old copper line.

The problem is that the value of making calls has fallen to almost nothing and so the whole of BT's creaky, inefficient and overpriced infrastructure is being propped up by the high line rental charge.

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 8:39am

As we keep going round in circles I may as well sum this up to every other time we have debated this:

Experts: It costs £9pcm to maintain line

NGM (non expert): No it doesnt, you lie to prop up BT. You corrupt people you.

Me: Experts have more knowledge than me or you. Best belive them on that number until other figures come along.

NGM: NOOO NEVER! I am right and you must all listen as I will rant on for hours about corruption and blah blah blah.

Sums it up pretty much.

IP Logged

firestop

Do unto others, before
they get a chance to
do....

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:19am

Darkstar:-

I love your blinkered faith in 'experts'.
WMD, 45mins........???
Say no more.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:29am

darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 8:39am:
As we keep going round in circles I may as well sum this up to every other time we have debated this:

Me: Experts have more knowledge than me or you. Best belive them on that number until other figures come along.

NGM: NOOO NEVER! I am right and you must all listen as I will rant on for hours about corruption and blah blah blah.

Sums it up pretty much.

All I can say is you are someone who clearly has the wool pretty easily pulled over your eyes.  I imagine that someone like you would never for instance question why several hundred patients of Dr Harold Shipman died because he is the expert and you are the lay person so you would always defer to an "expert" who must always apparently be right.

The fact of the matter is that BT is a bloated monolith with huge inefficiencies in its business that will never be tackled until the time when a wired connection for a decent and low cost broadband speed is eliminated.  Unfortunately telecoms seem to have been regulated wrongly so that the marginal cost of making each phone call is allowed to fall almost to nil for many 01/02 calls, resulting in BT Wholesale (an operating division of the one BT PLC) needing to make a lot of its revenue on just the line rental.  By contrast for gas and electricity transfer of product on the network is charged at a price that makes money so the network does not have to be propped up with excessive standing charges just to have the line connected.

I also feel insulted that you consider me not to have the necessary expertise because I do not work for BT and that you feel no one outside BT can apparently understand its operating model (a BT company man if ever there was one therefore despite your previous claims).  The reality is that phone line rental standing charge connection prices are out of step with other utilities and there does not seem to be any good reason for that other than the regulator being afraid of the upsetting of the existing fixed line applecart that would ensue if the BT monopoly over charging high line rental prices for huge sections of UK line rental (either directly or via WLR) was brought to an end.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:53am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:16am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:29am:
darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 8:39am:

Sums it up pretty much.

I also feel insulted that you consider me not to have the necessary expertise because I do not work for BT and that you feel no one outside BT can apparently understand its operating model (a BT company man if ever there was one therefore despite your previous claims).

You really dont bother reading anything do you? OFCOM ARE NOT BT!!!! Its OFCOM who made the entire revue and INVESTIGATION. Yes I have faith in experts as they ahve become experts and have actually checked all the facts and figures. The day that NGM can show me why it costs less than the ammount OFCOM have claimed than I will starts to listen, until then we have 1 official pricing given and tahst what we have to use.
Its got nothing to do with BT, its got nothing to do with anyone. I dont care about the damned company, I care about people saying something is wrong JUST because they dont agree with it. You heve no proof at all, youre like one of the people who claim that the first moon landing was fake, that the Montreal Screwjob was a work and that Dianna was killed by MI5.

Simple balancing act for you:

Conclusion provided by people who had done all the research > conclusion done by theorist

Edit: firestop, my faith in experts is there until prooven otherwise, or until a sytudy made by another body can at least challange with better than 'well i think'.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:18am by darkstar »  

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:23am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 9:29am:
 I imagine that ...

I would be interested to hear how telecoms would have existed in this country if BT had been closed down, asset-stripped, or split up into factions and then taken over by venture capitalists who expect 40% return on their money, then spend more on lawyers than engineering staff, like the railways have done.

Would broadband have been developed in their labs earlier or later, and would the management who could see no business case for it, and were worried about losing pstn revenues to VoIP, have held sway over the engineers for even longer?

It isn't misapplied regulation that affects how balances are struck between amortising long-term capital investments against day-to-day running costs and near-zero actual marginal cost of calls; it's interest rates and accountants.

It's rather a paradox that you seem to suggest keeping BT call charges higher, making it uncompetitive, which is how we got saddled with revenue-sharing from cheaper providers in the first place.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:24am by andy9 »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:31am

If the British BT model is so great then why does everyone in business in the USA to seem to have 0800 numbers. Roll Eyes

As to darkstar I think by now he has amply demonstrated why he has a life long career as a BT customer service person obediently trotting out the latest company propaganda ahead of him.

<div style=

IP Logged

andy9
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:49am

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:31am:
If the British BT model is so great then why does everyone in business in the USA to seem to have 0800 numbers. Roll Eyes

I think you mean 1-800

??? non sequitur - those businesses here that chose to have revenue-sharing numbers did so originally with cheaper calls providers than BT

It's a poor idea comparing with USA anyway, as line rentals are proportionately higher, and almost all landline deals have some zero-tariff calls automatically included

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: CJT-80, Dave, Forum Admin, DaveM, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge