NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: BT charges
Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:58am

andy9 wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:49am:
It's a poor idea comparing with USA anyway, as line rentals are proportionately higher, and almost all landline deals have some zero-tariff calls automatically included

Where has the higher phone line rentals?  Here or the USA or does that vary by State and location over there?

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #16 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:31am:
As to darkstar I think by now he has amply demonstrated why he has a life long career as a BT customer service person obediently trotting out the latest company propaganda ahead of him.

I HATE working for BT, recently a company wide email was sent around warning all the workers not to discuss BTs polocies on forums and the like because of me. Who do you think broke the news to an admin here about BT getting rid of the ICP and LUS?
BT wont give me a contract with them (yep, Im agency employed) as I keep getting warnings on my file as I challange BT policy in public and am seen as a 'troublemaker' as I try to do whats best for customers rather than hitting my targets.
You are obsessed with where I work and seem to think that Im defined by my job. Get real, start to look at how often I disagree with BT, then look at the fact that THE TOPIC OF HOW MUCH LINES COST TO UPKEEP IS DEFINED BY OFCOM NOT BT.
But your personal vendetta against BT makes you blind to that.

So again: why is your opinion a better guide than the official reports and stats?

~ Edited by Dave: Personal comments removed
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:16pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:36pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm:
Get real, start to look at how often I disagree with BT, then look at the fact that THE TOPIC OF HOW MUCH LINES COST TO UPKEEP IS DEFINED BY OFCOM NOT BT.

But Ofcom has many former BT employees in its ranks with BT pensions and has many employees who go back to BT having learned how to get what they want from the regulator.

Most of Ofcom's acceptance of line rental prices was based on submissions by BT - most of which are RED Acted for commercial confidentiality in their crucial sections.  It wasn't based on original Ofcom research independently gathered (and most of that is rigged to suit Ofcom's politically spun objectives anyway).

The UK has a very expensive entrenched fixed line operator with very high operating costs and deriving a lot of its cashflow and income from line rental.  To challenge that might bring the whole thing tumbling down and a BT breakup with separation of network ownership from phone call provision.  That might bring real pain in the short term but in the long run might bring far greater benefits if the total lack of competition in line rental with everyone simply following the BT leader was brought to an end.

There is a huge range of standing charge options on gas and electricity because it is properly competitive and there isn't on phone calls in BT only line areas.  Surely you can see that must be something to worry about? Undecided

Since you have policy based views on things you are clearly doing completely the wrong job.  The only people who last in customer call centres long term just want a nice simple job where they don't have to think too much about anything and where they never challenge the official company line. Cry

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #18 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:41pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:36pm:
darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:21pm:
Get real, start to look at how often I disagree with BT, then look at the fact that THE TOPIC OF HOW MUCH LINES COST TO UPKEEP IS DEFINED BY OFCOM NOT BT.

There is a huge range of standing charge options on gas and electricity because it is properly competitive and there isn't on phone calls in BT only line areas.  Surely you can see that must be something to worry about? Undecided

Since you have policy based views on things you are clearly doing completely the wrong job.  The only people who last in customer call centres long term just want a nice simple job where they don't have to think too much about anything and where they never challenge the official company line. Cry

To answer both these:

1)I agree that only having BT availability is a risky buisness for sure. I am hoping that cable will become more and more freely available in order to increase compatition (though most cable charges are at a similer price).  Hopefully Sky and Virgin sort out the TV fued quickly so Virgin can concentrate on the phone side of it.

2) IF I stay at BT I would want to work in the complaints team so I can help people out. Otherwise I want to work in a book store (I love books Tongue).
Either way as I am becoming my partners carer soon i will be getting part time hours either way.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:42pm by darkstar »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:04pm

I am sorry if I appeared perhaps a little patronising previously leading to your own heated comments.

You accept there are many faults with BT but you still seem to still have a touching faith in Ofcom.  I think that is where you have not made the same journey as most of us who have been fighting the 084/7 battle for this long (10 years for me) and trying to persuade OFTEL and Ofcom to take the correct action over 084/7.

If you had then you would realise that there are almost no real experts at all at Ofcom but only a bunch of highly paid careerist charlatans who are quite content to change their so called expert opinion in order to please their New Labour masters and ensure that they climb ever higher up the greasy but every well remunerated Ofcom pole.

Ofcom just doesn't seem to have any people of principle who would take a stand for the consumer to the possible detriment of their job prospects working there.  The hard bitten headhunter type approach they use to finding all senior staff st Ofcom is such that they only tend to recruit ambitious careerist yes men/women keen on achieving the highest job position and salary possible but who are not prepared to disclose that most of their efforts at achieving so called competition are a sham due to leaving BT as the only supplier of fixed line phone infrastructure still in a huge number of UK homes.

I do have complaints about the gas and electricity system but only to the extent that it takes a ridiculous 6 weeks to change suppliers rather than the maximum 1 week it should take and that I can't force the gas and electricity company to relocate their meters at their expense out of a locked landlord storage cupboard where they originally installed them 17 years ago and into my home.  But on gas and electricty you will find tariffs with a standing charge, tariffs that have a higher price for the first x units per year and no standing charge and tariffs like Equipower with no standing charge and the same price for all units for all customers regardless of how they pay.  But on phone line rental you will find everyone charging near to £11 per month because BT is so dominant in the total marketplace that nobody thinks they need to out compete BT on phone line rental cost and/or the WLR system doesn't enable them to do so for all those suppliers.

I think the journey you need to make is to realise not just that BT is a large faceless corporate that doesn't let its call centre workers behave like human beings but that the whole damn system is rotten and that most of the so called experts are usually self serving careerists intent on their next promotion and the highest possible salary.  There are people in employment without such motivations and capable of putting the public interest first (which is what staff at a non profit making regulator should do) but these days they sadly seem to be getting rarer and rarer. To date I have not come across one such person at Ofcom.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:36pm

andy9 wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:23am:
I would be interested to hear how telecoms would have existed in this country if BT had been closed down, asset-stripped, or split up into factions and then taken over by venture capitalists who expect 40% return on their money, then spend more on lawyers than engineering staff, like the railways have done.

Would broadband have been developed in their labs earlier or later, and would the management who could see no business case for it, and were worried about losing pstn revenues to VoIP, have held sway over the engineers for even longer?

It isn't misapplied regulation that affects how balances are struck between amortising long-term capital investments against day-to-day running costs and near-zero actual marginal cost of calls; it's interest rates and accountants.

It's rather a paradox that you seem to suggest keeping BT call charges higher, making it uncompetitive, which is how we got saddled with revenue-sharing from cheaper providers in the first place.

You make a very interesting point, andy9, and one which has crossed my mind before. OK, so 'if' is a big word, but it was privatised by the Tory government which the ethos that competition would bring prices down. I do not like being lied to.

At the time I imagined that the one telegraph pole near me would be joined by other telegraph poles as competitors built their networks. But of course that was never going to happen. Look at BT's main competitor, cable, or Virgin Media as it is now known. IIRC it started off as separate companies. I know round here it was Yorkshire Cable, but inevitably individual companies have been swallowed up and now are one. The thing is that cable was only installed in urban areas where there was going to be plenty of business. Anywhere else and they didn't want to know.

As I said elsewhere, telephone isn't like gas and electric because they have one distribution network with many different providers putting in and taking out the gas/electric. With telephones, the network you connect to is operated by the telco you are with (unless you're with a LLU provider, but it's still a BT pair of copper wires). So this means that my original vision of competition being brought about by having several different providers' networks running down every street was not far off.

Now look at the mobile infrastructure in this country. It started off privatised and if we take the four public GSM networks, O2, Vodafone, Orange and T-Mobile we see that they have had to build their networks to cover the same areas. So we have areas of the country that aren't covered by some or all networks and we have urban areas where there are, in effect, four times as many base stations as is techincally necessary to provide a mobile telephone service in that location.

I have applied andy9's thinking to this and come to the conclusion that we have a quarter of the coverage we could have and/or we are paying four times as much as we need to because of this waste in equipment. Whilst I accept that this guestimate may be out, I do think that there is something in it and that is wastage of infratsructure when privatisation was supposed to get rid of this.

Also, we now pay through the nose to call someone on another network versus our own. It is also cheaper to call destinations abroad than other networks on some tariffs. People changing numbers is commonplace. With a mobile being mobile it stands to reason that even if someone moves to the other end of the country, they can keep the same number. But the network operators make it cheaper to take out 'new' contracts because statistics of 'new' subscribers are more important than a basic technical requirement that someone should keep the same number. All of this has been brought about by privatisation and the supposed need for competition, but all these years later we still have to put up with it.

Consider other industries like motor industry. Pretty much every manufacturer has a dealership in every town. So there is uniform coverage and choice there. But compare the need to have a separate outlet (dealership) for every car manufacturer and a telephone network which must have 100% coverage. That's cables down every street or radio base stations every how every often.

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:38pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:04pm:
I am sorry if I appeared perhaps a little patronising previously leading to your own heated comments.

You accept there are many faults with BT but you still seem to still have a touching faith in Ofcom.  I think that is where you have not made the same journey as most of us who have been fighting the 084/7 battle for this long (10 years for me) and trying to persuade OFTEL and Ofcom to take the correct action over 084/7.

Apology accepted, I also apologise for calling you a moron. Unacceptable behaviour and I should have known better.
I have faith in most authority figures until they prove otherwise to me, or when I get information to teh contrary. Up to now Ofcom mearly seem inept to me, not corrupt.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:48pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:38pm:
Apology accepted, I also apologise for calling you a moron. Unacceptable behaviour and I should have known better. I have faith in most authority figures until they prove otherwise to me, or when I get information to teh contrary. Up to now Ofcom mearly seem inept to me, not corrupt.

Sadly having met a number of Ofcom's senior staff I do not believe ineptness is in any way the problem and nor is it conventional corruptness in the sense of money changing hands.  However it is corruptness in the sense of the body failing to fulfil its principal duty under the Communications Act 2003 to protect the best interests of the UK citizen consumer.

I believe the senior staff of Ofcom are mainly motivated to help their old colleagues and possibly future colleagues too in the telecoms industry run as profitable a business as they possibly can and/or to do the bidding of Tessa Jowell and New Labour ministers to not regulate in a way that damages the businesses of important New Labour friends like Rupert Murdoch.  And the main reason they in turn want to do that is to obtain as much career advancement as they personally can and/or possibly even honours such as a knighthood or peerage in the case of their most senior staff and of course career advancement does usually also mean more money for the people involved, even if not by direct transfer processes from the telcos, which clearly would be illegal and I am also equally sure are not happening.

Perhaps that is what you have yet to learn about Ofcom.  That it is not inept at all but merely very good at turning a deaf ear to those interest groups that do not suit the agenda it is actually pursuing, whatever it say is its principal duty in the Communications Act 2003.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:56pm

andy9 wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:23am:
I would be interested to hear how telecoms would have existed in this country if BT had been closed down, asset-stripped, or split up into factions and then taken over by venture capitalists who expect 40% return on their money, then spend more on lawyers than engineering staff, like the railways have done.

With the railways it is maintainance that has been affected. Accountants see safety as a business risk and this is what you get. The same applies to telecoms, the only difference being that it's not lives lost, but a worse service. Take repairs to phone lines. It could take days to get a phone line working again when it goes faulty. It's a real backwards-step and good service should be the first and foremost principal.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #24 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:05pm

Dave wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:56pm:
It could take days to get a phone line working again when it goes faulty. It's a real backwards-step and good service should be the first and foremost principal.

Transco come out in just one hour 24 hours a day for any gas problem of even modest concern (like a gas regulator I had fail in fully open position the night before I was going on holiday).  BT frequently already take several days to fix things and don't work Saturday afternoon, Sundays or Bank Holidays usually unless thousands of customers are affected by the fault in question.

As long as an adequate Service Level Agreement is in place as well as suitable large penalties for not hitting the relevant targets all should be well.  It is the lack of adequate fines and powers given to most UK regulators that leads to things going down hill.  And company directors should go to prison if their gross negligence leads to people being killed.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #25 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:05pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 27th, 2007 at 8:46am:
NGMsGhost wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 7:43pm:
Look at standing charges for gas, electricity and water and the fact that they are beween £0 and £3.50 per month and you will start to realise there is something wrong with BT needing £11 per month.

If you odnt use your gas pipes then fine, but when your line is switched on but you odnt dial, what about the other information it recieves. You know, incoming calls.
Should you have that facility for nothing?

Exactly. NGMsGhost, as far as I can see in this country we have examples of both extremes. We have landlines where we pay rental in return for cheap calls and mobiles where we don't pay rental (in the true meaning of the word) and we pay extortionate rates. Any 'rental' on a pay monthly service is mainly to cover the inclusive minutes and the handset. Outside inclusive minutes you pay as much, if not more than you do on pay as you go! This is all in an effort to penalise those who use more minutes that they have, thus they should choose the right amount of minutes in advance. How do you do that? And those who don't use all their minutes pay a greater average pence per minute! Yet you make no mention of this NGM.

Whilst you could account higher per minute charges to lower fixed 'rental' fees, the more calls you make the more you pay for these 'rental' charges that you should have paid as a fixed amount.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #26 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:09pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:41pm:
IF I stay at BT I would want to work in the complaints team so I can help people out. Otherwise I want to work in a book store (I love books Tongue). Either way as I am becoming my partners carer soon i will be getting part time hours either way.

Hmmm.  Having dealt with the BT High Level Complaints team staff even they don't really seem able to help you out.  They just come up with rather more bizarre and elaborate excuses BT still for not doing what customers want.

I would definitely try a book store if I was you.  So much more human and rewarding than a call centre.

Sorry to hear about your partner.  That sounds bad.  I have no idea of course what age you are.

<div style=

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #27 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:13pm

Yeah well complaints has always been my thing to deal with wherever I worked in the past (and as that included McD's Im good at it Wink), i like to help people.
As for me and my partner, Im 26 and shes 21. She has both Cystic Fibrosis and Muscular Dystrophy. Fun eh.

But Im considering getting a job in Waterstones, like you say you can be more personal. And no Call handling Time targets.

Edit: I dindt think you used BT. So why did you have to deal with them? If you odnt mind me asking.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:14pm by darkstar »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #28 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:13pm

Dave wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:05pm:
And those who don't use all their minutes pay a greater average pence per minute! Yet you make no mention of this NGM.

Whilst you could account higher per minute charges to lower fixed 'rental' fees, the more calls you make the more you pay for these 'rental' charges that you should have paid as a fixed amount.

I wasn't talking about mobiles but only about fixed line phone calls.  There is far more choice available in mobiles including Pay As You Go with no line rental and very cheap off peak rates.  I only spend about £20 a year on calls on my mobile phone.

There should be far more variety on fixed line rental structures than there is.  The current set up is blatantly a cartel with everyone playing follow the BT leader.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #29 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:18pm

darkstar wrote on Feb 28th, 2007 at 2:13pm:
Yeah well complaints has always been my thing to deal with wherever I worked in the past (and as that included McD's Im good at it Wink), i like to help people.
As for me and my partner, Im 26 and shes 21. She has both Cystic Fibrosis and Muscular Dystrophy. Fun eh.

But Im considering getting a job in Waterstones, like you say you can be more personal. And no Call handling Time targets.

Edit: I dindt think you used BT. So why did you have to deal with them? If you odnt mind me asking.

Sorry to hear about your partner.  Its just not fair for anyone to have all those afflictions at such a young age.

So far as Waterstones is concerned don't forget they are a big faceless corporate.  They probably have targets for the number of books the store shifts each month, although its hard to see how that could be linked to individual employees.  Aren't there any small independent bookstores still or antiquarian bookstores?

<div style=

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin, Dave, bbb_uk)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge