<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
BT charges (Read 51,818 times)
darkstar

Re: BT charges
Reply #45 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 10:49pm

Its not true. They were considering it, but decided against it.

IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #46 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 8:03am

just retrieved the March 2007 BT Update from the recycling bin. It says:

Quote:
Changes to your conditions of BT telephony service:

From 1 May 2007 we will replace the existing charges for customers ending their service early. In their place is a policy that requires customers to pay the outstanding line rental for the 12 months minimum term of their contract.  Customers moving home and transfering BT service to their new address will be subject to a new minimum term from the date of start of service at the new address.

From 1 May 2007 we will also introduce an administration charge of £5 (incl VAT) for all customers who cease service with BT. This charge will not apply to customers moving home, if they transfer BT service to their new address.

speaks for itself.

~ Edited by Dave: Quote box tidied up
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2007 at 8:17pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

jrawle
Supreme Member

Didcot, Oxfordshire
Reply #47 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:54am

I've just realised, I'm on "paper-free" billing, so when will I be informed of the new terms and conditions? The "update" webpages don't mention this charge, and anyway, they need to notify customers of the change.

I was just about to swtich to cable anyway as it's a good deal since I already have broadband. Now I'll simply make sure I do so before 1 May. Well done BT!

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #48 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:14pm

Trust me Lompos, BT wont be charging this. They have decided against it after 'customer consultation'.

IP Logged

gary350

South Wales UK
Reply #49 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 5:59pm

BT e mailed me today stating that the extra charge for not using DD will be 50pence a month.

"Thank you for your e-mail dated 19/3/07 regarding the payment processing fee.

With regards to your e-mail I would like to inform you that you have to pay 50pence extra per month if you don't pay through direct debit."

gary
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:03pm by gary350 »  

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #50 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:06pm

gary350 wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 5:59pm:
BT e mailed me today stating that the extra charge for not using DD will be 50pence a month.

"Thank you for your e-mail dated 19/3/07 regarding the payment processing fee.

With regards to your e-mail I would like to inform you that you have to pay 50pence extra per month if you don't pay through direct debit."

gary

Yes, that was what they announced.  Not paying by DD already costs £1 per month more (you don't qualify for the £1/month discount) and, from 1/5/07, you'll pay an extra 50p - taking the difference to £1.50 per month or £4.50 per quarter.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:08pm by Heinz »  

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

lompos
Supreme Member

Reply #51 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:39am

I raised with BT the matter of penalty charges for customers not paying by Direct Debit.  This is what they replied:

"In summary, the effect on any individual customer will be either 50p up or 50p down a month. Let me explain why. The £4.50 a quarter increase will be offset by a £3 a quarter cut in line rental for non-Direct Debit customers so the net effect is £1.50 a quarter or 50p a month."

The March 2007 BT Update seems to confirm this.

IP Logged

gary350

South Wales UK
Reply #52 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 10:44am

Do BT have someone employed thinking of ways to claw back 10p here 10p there or are they just testing the water.

gary

IP Logged

darkstar

Reply #53 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 12:30pm

Wouldnt 99% of companies have someone to think of ways to earn them more money? You know, to try to make more profit and all.  Wink

And just to point out, I am not condoning the charge. Just making a minor point.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #54 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:00pm

gary350 wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 10:44am:
Do BT have someone employed thinking of ways to claw back 10p here 10p there or are they just testing the water.

In a nutshell, that's what I've always thought.

Minimum call charge goes up from 5p to 5.5p. Then BT scraps it in favour of the (at first apparently cheaper) 3p connection charge, but with whole minute charging. This means a daytime call to a 01/02 number BT Together Options 1 & 2 is now a minimum of 6p and that's only upto 1 minute. Upto 2 minutes costs you 9p!

I could go on and on with the other covert increases that are marketed as making things "simpler".

Charging per whole minute. With today's technology there's no excuse and reason other than greed. Would it be allowed if your butchers charged to the nearest whole 100g, 500g or even 1kg. Would it be allowed or would the authorities have something to say?

IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #55 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:22pm

Dave wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:00pm:
Minimum call charge goes up from 5p to 5.5p. Then BT scraps it in favour of the (at first apparently cheaper) 3p connection charge, but with whole minute charging. This means a daytime call to a 01/02 number BT Together Options 1 & 2 is now a minimum of 6p and that's only upto 1 minute. Upto 2 minutes costs you 9p!

OTOH, Virgin Media customers, apart from being charged £5 per month extra if they don't pay by DD (as opposed to BT's £1.50 per month) are now to be treated to a 'follow the leader' change to per minute billing from 1/5/07.  That'll mean a less than a minute chargeable UK 01/02 call will cost an incredible 9p (6p connection and 3p for the first minute).

Thank heavens for BT, Primus Saver Option 2, 18185, 1899, 18866, Orchid diallers and the MSE Callcheckers!

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #56 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:05pm

Heinz wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:22pm:
OTOH, Virgin Media customers, apart from being charged £5 per month extra if they don't pay by DD (as opposed to BT's £1.50 per month) are now to be treated to a 'follow the leader' change to per minute billing from 1/5/07.  That'll mean a less than a minute chargeable UK 01/02 call will cost an incredible 9p (6p connection and 3p for the first minute).

The more this happens the more I become convinced that the whole industry is corrupt and needs investigating by the Competition Commission or whoever.

IMO people's inability to do simple maths and prefer to take note of promotional material that paints a nice tidy picture which only includes headline rates and charges has a lot to do with it. To the providers' benefit "whole minute billing" is 'boring'.

It will be good to see a programme like Panorama do an investigation on this. Instead, we are all tangled up in the premium rate antics of the mainstream broadcasters in this country. The fact that many people are scammed by reverse billed SMS messages is not interesting to the media.

The fact that BT has increased its charge for non-direct debit customers from £1 to £1.50 is big news, but VM's £5 gets no mention!!!

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #57 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:23pm

From the Virgin website here:

Quote:
Phone – changes to our call charges

* From 1st May 2007 the way your call charges are calculated is also changing. Instead of charging to the nearest second, calls will be rounded up to the next minute.
    * So for example, a call that lasts 4 minutes and 50 seconds will be rounded up to 5 minutes. This will affect customers with call plans, those with bundled minutes (Talk Anywhere) and all other telephony customers in the same way

So that's all calls then!  Shocked

BT charges per second for 08 and 09 numbers.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 2:24pm by Dave »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: DaveM, Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge