Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Radio Broadcast about doctors using 0844 (Read 44,875 times)
loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Re: Radio Broadcast about doctors using 0844
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:53pm

I have received this response from Mike Forster of Gloucester Local Medical Committee : ---

Thank you for your feedback.  I knew that some feelings ran deep, and your extracts confirm it.  Doctors only wish to give their patients the best possible service while also running their medical businesses efficiently and effectively. In doing so each practice has to make its own decisions.  Some will go one way and some another.  Since many organisations (including the police and library) increasingly use 0844 or even 0845 numbers you can understand why some GPs have followed suit.  Indeed, 2 years ago when the NHS was forbidden to use 09 and 087 numbers, practices were encouraged to go to 0844 numbers.  

We are where we are, and must go on from there.  If, in the fullness of time, a political decision is made banning the use of such numbers then that is another matter.  

In the meantime it is good for people's opinions to be aired.  To provide balance to those you mention, you should be aware that independent patient surveys have shown that 69% of patients said they found it frustrating trying to get hold of their GP on a standard local number; this number dropped to only 18% when an 0844 number was introduced.  

I assure you, however, that this matter is on the committee agenda for this Thursday's monthly meeting.  

Specifically:

·         I will mention your point about alternative geographical numbers.

·         I will raise the matter of the old lady who has left her phone bill with the practice. Neither you nor I know the full circumstances so I am keeping an open mind.  I know that some people speak very loosely about Premium Rate numbers which, as I am sure you know, are only 09 numbers. GPs do not use these.

·         I have raised the question in general terms with the national GP Committee and am awaiting their response.

Once again, thank you for your interest.

Best wishes

Mike
M J D FORSTER
Glos LMC Lay Secretary

Campaignagainstripofftelecoms  
IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:55pm

I have written back to Mike Forster as follows : ---

To Mike Forster,

I must thank you for your response to my email, I really appeciate it.

I had not intended to write again but you say a few things which I think require further comment or clarification.   Some of my points may also be useful for your meeting on Thursday.

You say "Since many organisations (including the police and library) increasingly use 0844 or even 0845 numbers you can understand why some GPs have followed suit".   I have to say two wrongs do not make a right.   Just because the Police are ripping off the public it is no justification for the doctors to follow suit.   I can tell you that the Police have come under extensive criticism, from public, MPs and Lords, over this and they have been compelled to make geographic phone numbers available as alternatives to their rip-off numbers.   Unfortunately these are not well publicised, but thet are available from most forces.   TV police initially held out but were compelled to reveal their numbers under the Freedom of Information Act.   I hope all doctors do not have to endure FOIA requests in the future.   If they really need to use 0844, providing a geographic alternative for patients who ask, at least, would go some way to remove the criticism that doctors are just money grubbing.

You mentioned that 09 and 0870 were forbidden two years ago.   This was because they are higher cost revenue sharing numbers.   0844/5 are also a higher cost revenue sharing numbers.   If 0870 is wrong in principle then so is 0844.    I think you are incorrect about 0844/5 numbers being encouraged.   Both the DoH and OFCOM have advised that they are to be avoided.   Perhaps they should have given a stronger directive, but DoH wrote to all PCTs last year to say, in effect do not use those numbers.   PCTs and doctors going 0844/5 are contravening those instructions.

I have heard of the "independent survey" that you mention.   I believe this is constantly pushed forward by NEG.   It should be treated with a fair amount of scepticism.   Why not carry out your own survey of peoples opinions of doctors using 0844.   On this mornings broadcast, a small sample admitedly, I think only one person was unconcerned about 0844, a reasonably healthy young person probably, while a dozen or more were critical to a greater or lesser degree.   If you were to look at all the comments from the public after articles in the Times, Daily Mail and other papers you begin to see the strength and depth of feeling against.   By the way, Alistair from Market Harboro, this morning, is, I am told, PR Director for NEG: a fact he did not disclose and he gave an astonishingly incorrect misleading suggestion "that 0844 numbers can be included in your phone package".   He must know this to be untrue, as he works within the industry.

Regarding the elderly lady and her phone bill, I can say from personal experience that 0844 on my bill has been charged at" premium rate g6" -- this is apparently a phone industry term.   0870 for example is "premium rate g7".   It is the phone industry themselves who call these "premium" rate.   Lets not get hung up on semantics.   Ofcom define Premium rate as 09 numbers at 20p per min upwards.   0844/5 are priced at a "premium" to normal  geo numbers.   So the lady is right, by the dictionary definition, 0844 is charged at a premium to normal numbers.   Her evidence also gives the lie to phone queues being  reduced.   They are not, and now they are also expensive --- so her husband walks to the surgery to make appointments!!!   How bad is this?   I also know people who do the same.   People DO NOT LIKE 0844.

One thing which you said this morning --- doctors are "not allowed to recover more than the cost of the system from this revenue sharing scheme".    How exactly does that work?    And if they are only getting £400 per month, how much are NEG making out of this.   I have seen estimates that they are raking in up to £50000 per annum per surgery.   If this is anything like true then doctors are unwittingly assisting in a scandalous exploitation of patients, particularly pensioners and the chronically sick.

You said that a system costs about £10000 capital cost.   This of course could be funded as a normal cap ex. and depreciated through the Revenues rules, so actual cost to surgeries would be minimal and this would be massively more economical from the patients point of view.   You may be interested in a comment sent to me by someone who heard the broadcast this am -- "PBX costs - there are cheaper phone systems; perhaps this bloke should do some actual research, instead of buying off the first propagandists to walk through the door - maybe like £400 per PBX and between £60 and £200 per phone, and set-up costs, so a couple of thousand should be plenty for many places. Any enterprise of a similar size also has to fund its phone system; why are doctors entitled to act like this, as parasites on their patients?"

I would be very interested to see what questions you have raised wth the National GP Committee and to see their response.

Thank you once again for your message.

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:58pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:48am

loddon wrote on Sep 11th, 2007 at 10:12pm:
With continued publicity and agitation by concerned MPs, and we probably have a surprisingly large number now  (don't want to say numbers just yet: [url]you never know who might be reading this[/url]), the whole question is going to be escalated.

Well I trust that Ms Simons from NEG is still reading this even if she has now been forbidden from posting here now on the basis that it only stirs us up in to yet more activity.  I also imagine the Prince Of Phone Number Darkness himself, Alistair Campbell, may well be reading this.

What I hope is that NEG will realise that the 0844 game is now well and truly up and come up with an 03 based version of their service where doctors will pay extra for the extra value they are obtaining in providing a better service to their customers.  Also if they the doctors are paying for the NTS features I am sure that they will not want there to be any unnecessary dead time when they are paying for callers to queue but are not speaking to them. Wink

I also hope that Ofcom will come up with rules making it illegal to make claims that 0844 numbers are local rate in any circumstances (not just adverts controlled by the ASA) and to make this punishable with large fines for any operators of an NTS service like NEG found to be responsible for such claims being made.  I also hope Ofcom will mandate announcements stating the amount per minute going to the NTS operator and the called party for any 0844 number dialled.

Quote:
Why not set your alarm and throw your weight into this, just for one day, you might even enjoy it.

As things stand I may still be up when the Radio Bristol program starts after being woken up at 3.40am by my noisy neighbour in the flat above. Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:48am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:50am

By the way I notice this has been started as a separate thread which seems unfortunate.

It ought to have been a continuation of the 0844 NEG thread in order to ensure maximum participation on the show.

<div style=

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:30am

The item regarding doctors surgeries was on the local news on the hour and there was then a short 5 minute item quoting various local residents and then an item featuring comments on air from David Hickson described as being "a one man national campaign against these numbers".Shocked Shocked Shocked  Smiley Smiley Smiley

So David first you are something of a sceptic as to whether it is wrong to charge for calling doctors when the NHS charges for prescriptions or dental treatment but now you have become a national one man campaign against these numbers.  I wonder what happened to the rest of us involved in the multi man campaign against the numbers.  Are you perhaps getting confused with your previous one campaign against Silent Calls? Roll Eyes Undecided

Is this your usual modus operandi so that you obtain all the credit for such campaigning and do you have special contacs with the BBC that let you get straight on the program.  When I tried calling I had a job getting past the switchboard and then Jules the producer seemed distinctly frosty and disinterested in adding my comments for their 8am slot on the item

<div style=

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:45am

NGM, I don't think David is putting himself forward as a one man campaign, rather the opposite.   Unfortunately BBC Radio decided to present him as such, thats reporters for you.   In fact David and I deliberately talk about "we", the campaign, to imply to the media that there are a multitude of us campaigning, as you know. Wink

I had hoped that you would speak on the live prog and I don't know why they haven't grabbed you.   Perhaps you could try again, under a different persona? Wink

I have spoken to the reporter/news reader to point out the fallacy in A. Campbells arguments.   And she fully agreed with me.   I have drawn their attention to the 27 MPs EDM and to the Petition, maybe they will be mentioned later in the prog.

Incidentally, this item was No1 on their 7am news!!! Ahead of the McCann story!!!   Can't get better than that.

Notice, not one , of 15 doctors practices , nor the local PCT are prepared to come on the prog and explain themselves.   Are they worried or what??     Perhaps they were listening to Radio Glos yesterday!
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:47am by loddon »  
IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:54am

I have just been informed by BBC Radio Bristol that a mistaken reference to a "one-man campaigner" broadcast shortly after 7:00 was an error resulting from research into previous unrelated campaigning activities by this individual. A formal withdrawal, explanation and apology would draw unnecessary and unwarranted attention to the role of one of very many concerned citizens. I have been assured that the mistake will not be repeated and every effort will be made to create the opposite impression.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 8:13am

I was asked by a forum member to withdraw my previous comments complaining about David being represented on David Bristol as a one man campaign against the 0844 doctors numbers.

I don't think I can do that now as other comments from other members have followed but all I can say is that I now understand this to be the result of reporter error on the program not due to any attempt to mislead them by David.

I would therefore like to thank David for his efforts in getting the issue on air and apologise if I may wrongly have suggested that he may have tried to mislead BBC Radio Bristol when it is in fact the program's error.

<div style=

IP Logged

pw4

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:20pm

loddon wrote on Sep 11th, 2007 at 11:55pm:
I have written back to Mike Forster as follows : ---

To Mike Forster,

I think you are incorrect about 0844/5 numbers being encouraged.

Mr Forster is not mistaken.

Quote:
Department of Health, 24th February 2005.

GP practices currently using national rate telephone lines will be expected to change these to 'lo-call' numbers, under an arrangement between the Department of Health and the principal supplier.  The department will make funding of around £500 per practice available for them to switch from national rate to lo-call numbers.  The department will be working with PCTs to identify which practices will be entitled to the additional funding.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 5:29pm by pw4 »  

IP Logged

irrelevant

Reply #24 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:04pm

Dave wrote on Sep 11th, 2007 at 8:50pm:
What tariff is this person on to be charged £1/min from a mobile? Whilst I am not saying that this is incorrect, I would like to check the facts. It is the facts we must discuss and not react on what we think is the case.

t-mobile website quotes all their pay-as-you-go tariffs have a charge of up to £2.50/min for (non-freephone) 08* numbers.  Freephone numbers are up to 40p/min.  I can quite see an 0844 being £1/min based on that maximum!

See : http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/price-plans/pay-as-you-go/
and click on "quick guide to costs" near the bottom for the actual table.

Unfortumately, I can't find a list of specific rates for specific numbers.  They say to call customer services (at up to 25p/min!) on "150" if you want specifics.  On a t-mobile phone I presume!!  Not that I have one, or am I ever likely to, with those rates!

What is the maximum an 08* is charged from a BT landline??

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #25 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:27pm

Quote:
Department of Health, 24th February 2005.

GP practices currently using national rate telephone lines will be expected to change these to 'lo-call' numbers, under an arrangement between the Department of Health and the principal supplier.  The department will make funding of around £500 per practice available for them to switch from national rate to lo-call numbers.  The department will be working with PCTs to identify which practices will be entitled to the additional funding.

Thank you for finding this quote.   I accept that this took place.

It would appear, as some others have suspected, at that time the DoH were advised erroneously that 0844 numbers were charged at normal rate and were not revenue sharing and would remove the problem of 0870.   This advice was accepted by the DoH and they were mislead in exactly the same way as doctors and others are constantly being mislead since 2005 about the true cost (to callers) and the nature of 0844 numbers.    The fact is, however, that 0844 ARE revenue sharing and can be seen to be significantly more costly than normal geographic numbers and only reduce the 0870 problem but do not eliminate it.    We may speculate where the erroneous advice came from but it would be interesting to know.   Do you know?

And bear in mind that the DoH (and Ofcom) are now positively discouraging the use of 0844/5 numbers.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:34pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

pw4

Reply #26 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:33pm

loddon wrote on Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:27pm:
We may speculate where the erroneous advice came from but it would be interesting to know.   Do you know?

No. But your speculation no doubt coincides with mine - the "principal supplier".  Wink

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #27 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:39pm

If anyone living in the South West could check on the local regional BBC TV evening news programme they may find that the BBC are running an item about doctors using 0844 numbers!    If you do see it could you let us know here what is said on the prog.

IP Logged

loddon
Supreme Member

Reading  UK
Reply #28 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:41pm

BBC Radio Bristol today reported doctors are earning revenue from their patients phone calls by using 0844.   This was the No1 item at 7am, ahead of the McCann story and was discussed, together with other topics throughout the morning.   You can "Listen Again" on the BBC Radio Bristol website : ---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/local_radio/           Click "Listen Again" and "Breakfast".

There were many comments and discussions with the public and interviews with A. Campbbell, from a system supplier, and Liam Fox MP.   They reported that 15 practices in the area have gone to 0844 but not one doctor or practice manager was prepared to join the prog to discuss the matter.   The local PCT also declined to contribute.

Mr Campbell was asked why doctors are choosing this system and his main reason given was that callers could be put in a queue rather than get the engaged tone.

A lady said that her phone bills are now far more than they were and she objects to the extra cost.   She regards this move by doctors as outrageous.

Liam Fox was extremely concerned about doctors using 0844.   He said it was wrong in principle , raised important issues and was unacceptable.   He said it is a "stealth tax" and a charge on patients that should not be made.   Doctors are funded out of taxation and should not be supplemented by other revenue earning schemes.   It is becoming increasingly difficult for patients to get access to their doctor and referred to the recent massive pay rise gained by doctors.   He will be writing to the local PCT asking what money is being made by doctors out of this.   He said honesty and clarity are needed.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007 at 7:50pm by loddon »  
IP Logged

Heinz
Supreme Member

Essex
Reply #29 - Sep 12th, 2007 at 8:17pm

loddon wrote on Sep 12th, 2007 at 6:27pm:
It would appear, as some others have suspected, at that time the DoH were advised erroneously that 0844 numbers were charged at normal rate and were not revenue sharing and would remove the problem of 0870.   This advice was accepted by the DoH and they were misled in exactly the same way as doctors and others are constantly being misled since 2005 about the true cost (to callers) and the nature of 0844 numbers.    The fact is, however, that 0844 ARE revenue sharing and can be seen to be significantly more costly than normal geographic numbers and only reduce the 0870 problem but do not eliminate it.

5p/minute is 54% per minute more than the 3¼p/minute that a peak rate UK 01/02 call from a BT Together Option 1 landline costs.

And that's ignoring manipulated call queuing ........

After years of ignoring govt. guidelines & RIPPING OFF Council Tax payers using 0845 numbers, Essex County Council changed to 0345 numbers on 2 November 2015
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, CJT-80, Forum Admin, DaveM)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge