Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Phuket Air Crash Contact Number 020 7008 0000 (Read 41,542 times)
sherbert
Supreme Member

Volcano
Reply #15 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:33pm

Thought this amy be of interest from this page...

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/latest-national-news/FO-aid-for-Britons-stranded....

The FO also launched a special advice line for callers in the UK who were concerned about the well-being of relatives stranded overseas. It is 020 7008 0000.

IP Logged

jgxenite
Supreme Member

Help us to help you -
read the instructions!!

Re: Volcano
Reply #16 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:36pm

Big thumbs up for the FO! Perhaps the government is finally learning that non-geo numbers are no good!

I don't mind helping you with your request as long as you read the instructions!

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

The Forum Ghost of NonGeographicalMan<b
r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #17 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:00pm

jgxenite wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 8:36pm:
Big thumbs up for the FO! Perhaps the government is finally learning that non-geo numbers are no good!

The FO has always been aware of this issue since it has a Voip based switchboard on which all the individual extensions can be reached using their own 020 numbers.  We commended them some years ago now on this website are their consistency and thoughtfulness in this area.  No doubt they have always been well aware in their professional existence of the very great difficulty facing overseas callers in contacting UK based 084/7 numbers since they inevitably get many calls from overseas.

The Passport Agency on the other hand unfortunately ultimately reports to the Home Office and hence why it has always shown such unpleasant revenue share loving tendencies.  The Home Office have now gone back to an 020 number for their switchboard from their 0870 but only after an exchange of several emails with the Permanent Secretary by myself some years ago as well of course as criticism by many MPs and their constituents.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:02pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #18 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:04pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
The Passport Agency on the other hand unfortunately ultimately reports to the Home Office and hence why it has always shown such unpleasant revenue share loving tendencies. …

Are you not aware that the Passport Agency switched to 0300 numbers a year and a half ago? This was noted on the forum at the time and is another success story for the campaign to talk about.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #19 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:44pm

Dave wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:04pm:
Are you not aware that the Passport Agency switched to 0300 numbers a year and a half ago? This was noted on the forum at the time and is another success story for the campaign to talk about.

No I only remember all the bad publicity that occurred before they changed I'm ashamed to say Dave.  But well done to whichever campaign members had most to do with that one.  I am of course well aware of the change to 03 by the DVLA.

<div style=

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #20 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:46pm

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:44pm:
No I only remember all the bad publicity that occurred before they changed I'm ashamed to say Dave.  But well done to whichever campaign members had most to do with that one.  I am of course well aware of the change to 03 by the DVLA.

Judging by the negativity that you seem to be ensuing, then perhaps you should look at the Hall of FameWink

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Dave wrote on Apr 18th, 2010 at 9:46pm:
Judging by the negativity that you seem to be ensuing, then perhaps you should look at the Hall of Fame.  Wink

They may have taught English differently in your day Dave but I really don't think that my English teacher would not have given me any marks for the above sentence.

In any even the Hall of Fame Public Sector list is still rather depressingly small compared to those in the public sector who should have changed but have bloody mindely refused to take any steps at all towards such an action.

You also remind me to re-pursue Surrey Police where they made a variety of attempts at what seemed like quite deliberate initial obfuscation of my enquiry but then their head of FOI finally said in an email that he would send me my requested information of all internal reports that justified their original use of 0845 and its subsequent retention and information on any evaluation they had done of the costs of switching to 03.  Only to then still not send me the information he had faithfully promised me in writing.

I suspect that actually putting a question down for and then turning up at the next meeting of Surrey Police Authority and asking why Surrey Police is still holding out on this information might get rather more results than the seemingly futile attempts to deal by correspondence with their apparently deliberately unhelpful FOI section (of course there are theoretically appeals to the ICO but those are usually frustrating and lengthy too).  Their original ludicrous stock reason for refusing my request was that it would require them to examine all their custody records over the last several years. Roll Eyes Angry
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2010 at 10:09pm by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #22 - Apr 18th, 2010 at 10:45pm

Never fear. While the FCO does the right thing, and has done so for some time now, the travel and transport sector continues with its 08 policy. A quick browse at some random UK airline/ferry/airport web pages shows the ubiquitous +44 871 and similar contact numbers. No temporary respite provided in the form of a normal number for the extraordinary circumstances - that would be simply too much to ask. There appears to be anecdotal evidence that some calls are taking in excess of one hour to be answered once in a queue. Some very expensive telephone calls, no doubt, and admittedly, the cost of calls is likely to be way down a stranded individual's concerns, it further demonstrates the UK corporate attitude rather well.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2010 at 10:45pm by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Scots go one better
Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:40am

Proving - once again - that living in Scotland is good for you, the Scottish Government today announced a Homecoming Helpline for travellers affected by the current travel disruption. It's an 0800 number

Homecoming Helpline
0800 027 0504
From overseas + 44 800 027 0504

Off to feed my pet haggis...
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:42am by farci »  

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Re: Scots go one better
Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:08am

farci wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 9:40am:
It's an 0800 number

Homecoming Helpline
0800 027 0504
From overseas + 44 800 027 0504

Off to feed my pet haggis...

So will presumably cost precisely the same ripoff rates for calling from abroad as an 084 or an 087 prefixed number.

Why on earth did they not use an 01, 02 or 03 number.

Do these cretins have any idea at all what they are up to.  Its incredible that at the very least its not an 00 800 number as these can at least also be called free of charge from overseas landlines and payphones, although not from mobiles.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:10am by NGMsGhost »  

<div style=

IP Logged

farci

Glasgow
Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:44am

NGMsGhost wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:08am:
[quote author=farci link=1189971086/15#23 date=1271752829]It's an 0800 number

[b]Homecoming Helpline
0800 027 0504
From overseas + 44 800 027 0504 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              + 44 800 027 0504      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

So will presumably cost precisely the same ripoff rates for calling from abroad as an 084 or an 087 prefixed number.

Is this true - will it be charged as an NGN number and not a geo call?

IP Logged

idb
Supreme Member

Miami, Florida, United States
Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:51am

farci wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:44am:
In many cases, yes. Foreign operators often do not distinguish between different NGN charge bands. My main 'calling card' provider charges 32c/minute from the US to UK "08" numbers, so a call to +44 871 will cost exactly the same as a call to +44 800. By way of comparison, its general rate to +44 1 is 2.2c/minute.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:52am by idb »  

As from November 21, 2013, I no longer participate in the forum and am unable to receive private messages.

IP Logged

NGMsGhost
Supreme Member

r />

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 11:02am

farci wrote on Apr 20th, 2010 at 10:44am:

Yes.

For instance www.18185.co.uk charge 0.5p per minute for me to call any normal US area code but 3p per minute to numbers with the 800 area code.

The same often applies in reverse for those calling the UK.

Surely you are also aware farci that most uk mobile phone contracts with inclusive minutes do not allow calls to 0800 numbers to be made out of those inclusive minutes.  Also for instance Vodafone does not extend its Passport deal (calls can be made out of bundled minutes + a 75p connection fee when roaming in the EU) to calls to UK 0800 or 0808 numbers.

Matters are only set to get worse with BT just having appealed to the Competition Tribunal over its right to now charge mobile operators termination fees for carrying calls to 0800 numbers.  I don't know the exact background but I expect BT thinks that if the mobile operators are fleecing their customers for calling 0800 numbers on mobiles that BT ought to also be allowed to fleece them.

See www.ofcom.org.uk/bulletins/comp_bull_index/comp_bull_ccases/closed_all/cw_01036/

<div style=

IP Logged

SilentCallsVictim
Supreme Member

aka NHS.Patient, DH_fairtelecoms

Re: Phuket Air Crash Contact Number 020 7008 0000
Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2010 at 2:53pm

Whilst this would not help with overseas callers, for whom the line is primarily intended, the Scottish Government could have saved most UK mobile callers some expense by getting the number registered with the Helpline Association scheme.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Dave, bbb_uk, DaveM, CJT-80, Forum Admin)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge