Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
SAYNOTO0870.COM

<---- Back to main website

Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Incorrect use of terms National Rate & Lo-Call (Read 19,678 times)
Barbara
Supreme Member

Incorrect use of terms National Rate & Lo-Call
Oct 24th, 2007 at 2:56pm

I believe there have been other topics which have included the use of Lo-Call and National Rate as terms with reference to 0845 & 0870 numbers but was unable to track down the thread/s hence starting a new one.

I have received my latest bill from Utility Warehouse (yes, I know but there are reasons) and they are publicising changes to their telephone charges, one of which says

"We are substantially reducing our rates for calling non-geographic numbers as follows:
  • Lo-Call (0845)  Peak 2.0p Off-peak 0.5p
  • National Rate (0870) Peak 6.0p Off-peak 1.5p"
I have emailed them pointing out that OFCOM believes the use of such terms to be misleading (apart from info on this site, I have an email from OFCOM stating this) as they have been obsolete since July 2004.  I have asked for an assurance that they will remove all such references from all their material including the website if appropriate.

I will post any response and, if necessary, contact OFCOM to report this.

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2007 at 5:55pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

jimjim

Re: Incorrect use of terms National Rate & Lo-Call
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:43pm

Just had a water meter fitted yesterday by United Utilities, on one of the forms it says call customer services department on 0161 665 5159  between 8am- 4-30pm, but if you have an emergency out of hours ring 0870 6099941 (local call rate)

H20Water Services & Atlantic Water Services , working of behalf of United Utilities
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:48pm by jimjim »  

IP Logged

DaveM
Global Moderator

Du vin, du pain,   du
Ibuprofen ˇ

Peterborough
Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 5:56pm

Barbara wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 2:56pm:
. . .  "We are substantially reducing our rates for calling non-geographic numbers as follows:
  • Lo-Call (0845)  Peak 2.0p Off-peak 0.5p
  • National Rate (0870) Peak 6.0p Off-peak 1.5p"

But did they say anywhere that those rates included VAT ???  Undecided

jimjim wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:43pm:
. . . between 8am- 4.30pm, but if you have an emergency out of hours ring 0870 6099941 (local call rate)

They're obviously getting ready for the change over to the revised 0870 rates in the New Year  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

moneysavin

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 6:56pm

T-Plus are just bringing their prices for 0845/0870 in line with BT.

Their site contains at least 2 misleading statements. Shocked

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 1:58pm

Having been told by a customer adviser that my email was being passed to the marketing manager, I have now received the following in reply from the same customer adviser (not the manager!):

"Further to my email of yesterday, I can confirm that it is not misleading to use the terms Lo-call and National Rate.   As long as the charges are advertised or announced before any calls to us are connected, we are in keeping with OFCOM guidlines".

I was then thanked for bringing this matter to their attention.   Obviously, the reply is abolsute nonsense as I have an email from Clive Hillier of OFCOM (whom I am now going to contact) stating that it IS considered misleading to use these terms.  UW make no comment on my point that these terms became obsolete in July 2004.  Also, the notification from them in question did not refer to calls TO them but the costs to their customers of calls to 0845/0870 numbers in general.   I do intend to reply in those terms.

If anyone else would like to make complaint as well or has any useful points I could add, I would be most grateful.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 2:31pm

By the way, moneysavin, what were the other mistakes on their website?  Perhaps you could bring those to their attention as well or let me know via the forum (let's keep it public!) so that I can add those to my list.   Just to clarify, my issue was not the prices they are charging (we know they are always extortionate) but their misleading and outdated decription as Lo-call and National Rate.

IP Logged

derrick
Supreme Member

Reply #6 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 2:58pm

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 5:06pm

Thank you, Derrick, much appreciated.   On a technical note, how do I forward these links to UW?   Do I have to copy them then type them into an email?   (I am not very technical, have never worked out how to copy a response into a post - always have to write it out then copy type it to a post!)   For info, I am dealing with a Ms Alaja (or Aloja)-Browne at memberservices@telecomplus.co.uk

Thanks.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 6:06pm

Copy and paste the links.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2007 at 8:24pm by DaveM »  

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 7:30pm

Thanks everyone, I have forwarded the links.   I suspect they will come back & say that are OK because they gave the cost per minute but that is beside the point in my view as they are still using terms which are obsolete and which imply that the national geographical rate is 6p peak & 1.5p off-peak which is nonsense as their own tariffs for those not on a package demonstrate hence they are still misleading customers.   One further point, as this info was included with a bill as info, am I correct to assume it will not fall within the remit of the ASA as advertising?

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #10 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 8:14pm

IF your assumption is correct, then I would have thought the trading standards offficer would be interested if people were being misled.

IP Logged

Dave
Global Moderator

Yorkshire
Reply #11 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 8:39pm

See also here:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1157964491/30

Details of the board at Utility Warehouse are here.

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #12 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:14pm

UPDATE.  Following my sending of all the links you provided, I have received the following email from the person who had been dealing with my complaint:

"I merely sought to confirm that as long as customrs are made aware of the call charges prior to making the call, the use of the terms Lo-Call and National rate do not contravene OFCOM's guidelines.

Our charges for calling 0845 and 0870 numbers are clearly advertised and therefore cannot be regarded as misleading.

This matter has been looked into by our Director and confirmed as correct.   I trust this concludes matters regarding this issue."

In other words, this is what we say & do, so.....go away!

I am still waiting for a response from Clive Hillier on this one (& the National Trust).  Anyone got any suggestions?   I STILL think it is misleading to use the terms at all when they have no true status.  Yes, UW did state the prices in the announcement attached to the bill so, if that is the case, why bother with the terms Lo-call & National rate?   PLEASE can someone clarify the situation.

IP Logged

sherbert
Supreme Member

Reply #13 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 7:25pm

IP Logged

Barbara
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:44pm

Have now received a further lengthy email from UW as they have now read the link to the ASA/Windsor Telecom adjudication and it seems to have prompted a more detailed and polite response.   I would like to post the email here but, sorry, don't know how to do it or to copy & paste.  If someone who knows how to do this is prepared to let me forward the email to their address & then post it, I will happily forward it (I know Heinz did this on a previous occasion but do not like to presume).  Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: bbb_uk, Forum Admin, CJT-80, DaveM, Dave)

Website and Content © 1999-2024 SAYNOTO0870.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site.

WARNING: This is an open forum, posts are NOT endorsed by SAYNOTO0870.COM,
please exercise due caution when acting on any info from here.

SAYNOTO0870.COM » Powered by YaBB 2.5.2!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge